This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darren,

The Change-a-Word Game has evolved to the point where the posts are QUITE lengthy with obviously only a single word changing in between posts. Do you see any bandwidth-related issues due to the overall average size of the posts? The original concept was to change a single word in a single sentence but since I've been gone for the last six months, its more along the lines of changing a single word in a massive paragraph.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=31710
    "The Clarke Postulate - One's ability to correctly explain advanced theoretical thermodynamics as applied to string theory within a fictional context is directly related to one's ability to cook the perfect lemon chicken with mushrooms in a nice garlic butter sauce. While some use this unexpected correlation as proof of intelligent design, I believe that its all about the person's choice of mushrooms.

I also believe that there is a tear developing in the space-time continuum which if left uncheck will allow Microsoft to become a world power. I suspect that unless we all download Firefox 3 on the same day, thus sealing the tear, that life as we know it may be over and children will have their teddy bears and blankets ripped mercilessly from their arms.

Comment

Text does not put as heavy a strain on the server as images. And since most all of our threads contain posts of varying length I do not believe this has created any of the issues we have been experiencing
      Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by Xiphias View Post
        What's the oldest thread?
        From memory, the episode threads came first, then the 'help' threads in the Forum Announcements folder (which was called something different then) and then a few others; I remember one of the early ones was the fanfic recommendation thread. Basically, anything with a thread-number below 250 was probably made before the GW members even started arriving.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by corey2002 View Post
          why are the movies listed under the "episodes" tab? why not under franchise or we rename the episodes tab?
          There will probably be some resorting and renaming around here this summer.
          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Xiphias View Post
            What's the oldest thread?
            This is the oldest I can find outside of the private mod's folder:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=55

Just change the thread number at the end and see if you have access.

Comment

how come when posting in the social groups there is a spoiler icon
              but when you try to use it you get this error?

The following errors occurred with your submission

1. BB code spoilers is not allowed.
              Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
              ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
              Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Try it now.

Comment

works great now! thanks!
                  Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                  ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                  Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Is there an option in the admin panel to enable a light version of the forum (Low on images, only text links etc..)? If so, could it be enabled so dial-up users and users who dislike all the graphics can use it?

If it already is enabled, could I please be pointed to where I can enable it in my control panel?
                    Signed,

Gregorius
                    Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                    Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

There is no "lite" version of the forum, but you can disable user signatures, avatars, image attachments, and images put in messages with the IMG tag:

http://forum.gateworld.net/profile.php?do=editoptions

Scroll down to "Thread Display Options." There you can also set the forum to display fewer posts per page, which will improve the load-time on dial-up.

Comment

Really? So you can't enable something like this as that forum also uses VB.

The reason I'm asking is because I want to view GW on my mobile phone and text-only links with all the graphics disabled makes it cheaper (Accessing internet without a wireless hotspot through GPS is expensive) and easier to read.
                        Signed,

Gregorius
                        Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                        Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Well, there ya go! I had no idea that existed, but it's automatically generated by vBulletin:

http://forum.gateworld.net/archive/index.php

The drawback is that threads are listed in chronological order going back to 2004, and likewise posts within each thread (without the automated jump to your first unread post). So I can't imagine browsing new stuff this way would be very handy.

Comment

Have the size guidelines for signatures been increased lately?......I only ask because I seem to be seeing many more that appear to be far larger in height than they used to be....

Deeds xx
                            sigpic
                            Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                            MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

no, they haven't

But we have had a lot of newbies that may not have taken the time to read the rules. If you see any sigs that are larger than 700 pixels wide, 200 pixels tall or have a file size of more than 50K, report them and we'll talk to them
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

have you guys ever thought about making new members pass some sort of test before they could post? Maybe a multiple choice with questions like:

When can I receive a custom av?
                                or
                                When is it ok to spam?
                                or
                                How to I become a mod?

technically I don't think It'd be that hard to do...and it could be automated into the board..
                                whether it would slow new member growth...probably :/
                                sigpic
                                Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

Working...
                                X