This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veryangrystargatefan
    I think this is an appropriate place to post this question. I was wondering if a member of the forum had a Stargate related item (handmade) that people had PM and green pointed with an interest in and said member thought of an idea to open a forum auction for ONE of said item with the item going to the highest bidder after a certain time limit, would that be against the forum rules, and if not how would be the best way to obtain bids. PM or posting in the thread? One of the fabulous mods please post a reply to my question. I really would like to know.

Rachel (veryangrystargatefan)
    This would be entirely and completely up to Darren so you will need to wait for his answer on this one
    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Thank you for answering me, TameFarrar. I will wait for Darren and hope he okays me!

This is me sitting on the Stargate Blanket I made. Stargate #1.

Please spread the love. Help a fellow GWer. Click this thread link! http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=33123

Comment

I'd recommend ebay.

I don't mind if it's a one-time, one item thing, if said member conducts any such auctioning and sale off the forum. Post the info here, but please use personal e-mail, not public threads or GateWorld PMs, for the rest.

What I'd rather not see is people using GW to start a home business by selling multiples of an item and/or many items on an ongoing basis -- especially if it's unlicensed Stargate goodies. The day we have to start a Classifieds section is the day GW starts taking a percentage.
        GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
        The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
        Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat
          I know you are all very busy and it does rely on the poster to edit their own sigs. But how long do user's have to edit (for size) or remove (due to spoilers) a sig before you will have another little talk with them? I have just noticed that some sigs are still being used, and also a couple were removed but only to be replaced with equally spoilery/large sigs.

Another thing, do spoiler rules regarding sigs apply equally to other shows, like LOST or Dr Who? I thought yes.

On the spoilers...
          Spoiler:
          Seasons 10/3 have crossovers, now how much can people show in their sigs? You know they will want to use the pics, rules or not. For example there are a few McKay/Mitchell images already out, now can they be used in sigs... I am thinking not, but it would be cool if it was yes!

I mean if say you are the type of person who may wish to *cough* slash them *cough* or make say a thread about slashing them *cough* could you use the pics openly in the thread? Would you need to use a big SPOILER warning with flashing lights in the title first? Not that I want to do this.
          Um, is this under advisement or has it just been missed? I know you are all very busy... I patiently wait for an update.

Also it wasn't me was it we did have a couple of times this week were GW was unavailable? Is this to do with the changes still? Is this going to be an on going thing when lots of people try and access the forum after episodes air? Sorry I know Greg and the team can only do so much, I also noticed when it did go bye bye the alpha site didn't come up (the page with the link). Are we still using the alpha site?

Comment

Um, is this under advisement or has it just been missed? I know you are all very busy... I patiently wait for an update.

Also it wasn't me was it we did have a couple of times this week were GW was unavailable? Is this to do with the changes still? Is this going to be an on going thing when lots of people try and access the forum after episodes air? Sorry I know Greg and the team can only do so much, I also noticed when it did go bye bye the alpha site didn't come up (the page with the link). Are we still using the alpha site?
            Apologies Willow Cat....I thought you had been answered already.

Spoilers in Signature : Stargate related - if the show/season has not run in syndication in the USA it must be under a spoiler tag...Pictures have a bit more lee-way..in that if the picture gives away any and I stress ANY plot point it cannot be used if it is from an unsyndicated show.

Other Shows - If the Season has yet to air/is running or has just ended in the USA it must be under spoiler tags. pictures have the same criteria as SG related - if ANY plot point is given away it MUST be under a spoiler tag

How long do we allow people to fix their signatures - we try to give people a few days but sometimes we do get caught up in something else that is going on in the forum and people get more time then others. So if you see a signature that has NOT been changed please report it again and if you see one that has been changed only to come back with something just as rule breaking please report that as well

In regards to your last question - some of us have experienced the new Forum Alpha site this week due to upgrades and I also personally got nothing from both the Forum and the Main for a day, not even the Alpha site. If I am not mistaken Greg is done with the upgrades so if you have more problems please bring them to our attention.
            Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
              I'd recommend ebay.

I don't mind if it's a one-time, one item thing, if said member conducts any such auctioning and sale off the forum. Post the info here, but please use personal e-mail, not public threads or GateWorld PMs, for the rest.

What I'd rather not see is people using GW to start a home business by selling multiples of an item and/or many items on an ongoing basis -- especially if it's unlicensed Stargate goodies. The day we have to start a Classifieds section is the day GW starts taking a percentage.
              I would like to use the forum here since it is a one item, one time thing. I will post my e-mail address for bids. Where would be the best place to post the information? That's the only other thing I'm not clear about. Thanks, Darren. I owe you green for this! Look out for it!

P.S.- I'm thinking I'm gonna donate half of the winning bid to charity.

This is me sitting on the Stargate Blanket I made. Stargate #1.

Please spread the love. Help a fellow GWer. Click this thread link! http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=33123

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                The accenting issue depends on some combination of vBulletin's capabilities and the fonts a member has installed on his/her computer. I don't know of any way to easily fix it across the board.

But we could probably create special characters using ASCII codes, but someone would need to compile a list of what's needed for me.
                Thanks for the answer.
                So far, I think the only problem I have (with the French letters) is the a with a grave accent. It is annoying but I can live with it, so no need to hurry.
                Flo ~ FBI - Proud Shep Thunker - Proud member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team !

Comment

Mods, quick question, would it be OK for me to make a signature banner that had two screencaps from season 10 episode 1 (they're of Emerson and Sam standing on the Odyssey but there's no one else in them and I wouldn't say they reveal any plot details as they're close-ups of their faces) or is that not allowed? Your advice, as always, is much appreciated!

Just read the sig advice, I think it's OK but please let me know if it's not.

Thanks again!
                  Last edited by AmberLM; 21 July 2006, 03:16 AM.
                  Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

OK mods so someone has been posting parts of flesh and blood *mod snip*, I was wondering would I be allowed to mention the to everyone in the Australian threads so they can watch it since we don't get it here, and since it's not downloading or anything?
                    Last edited by kiwigater; 21 July 2006, 03:35 AM.

Comment

No, absolutely not (is the short, sweet answer ).
                      Whether it's clips or entire episodes, ANYTHING posted on the internet (unless from an official MGM sources, such as previews on the MGM site etc) violates copyright laws, and as such is not allowed to be promoted on the site.

As we've explained repeatedly, this rule is not because we're horrible mean people, but because firstly, we do not condone or support (explicitly or implicitly) anyone breaking the law, and second, we do not want to become a target for the MPAA and be shut down

Any posts indicating (however subtly) where episodes or clips can be dl-ed will be immediately deleted. Repeated posting of such information will result in permanent banning of that member.

I hope that explains things, and if in doubt, please PM a moderator

Comment

Amber, i don't have an issue with your sig.

Rachel i'd try the Fandom Section for your announcement since, i believe, we're trying to keep the merchandise section for 'official' merchandise
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

this is the last public post on this topic

As to the Weir and the IOA thread. It is back out and my decision is posted in the thread.

If you have an issue with it, feel free to pm me or e-mail me. Any further discussion on this topic will not take place publically. It will not take place in this thread, or the weir thread since it is off topic in both of them.

I will say that the decision that was made was made by a concensus among the mods and is the final decision on the topic.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigater
                            No, absolutely not (is the short, sweet answer ).
                            Whether it's clips or entire episodes, ANYTHING posted on the internet (unless from an official MGM sources, such as previews on the MGM site etc) violates copyright laws, and as such is not allowed to be promoted on the site.
                            Where does that leave fan vids? Surely they must by their very nature break copyright rules? Don't get me wrong the last thing I want is the removal of them but no-one to my knowledge has the rights to those clips other then Sony/MGM/SciFi channel? I really don't think a disclaimer at the end of a vid saying I make no money from this would stand up in a court of law.

Not to mention the ads that have been posted everywhere on GW they must also contain copyright material, but they too have been uploaded to Youtube and the like, and the extras have also found there way onto GW threads as links.

So what is the ruling on them?

Also TameFarrar didn't answer my question on the slash thread
                            Spoiler:
                            for McKay/Mitchell. If I want to post the caps openly should I have a spoiler warning in the title? *I don't know if I am making it yet but I might*

Comment

Originally posted by veryangrystargatefan
                              Where would be the best place to post the information?
                              I'm inclined to say the Stargate Fandom section.

Comment

Where does that leave fan vids? Surely they must by their very nature break copyright rules? Don't get me wrong the last thing I want is the removal of them but no-one to my knowledge has the rights to those clips other then Sony/MGM/SciFi channel?
                                For the time being, fan-created original works that use Stargate material (fan vids, fan fic, fan art) are allowed. I think it falls into the "fuzzy" area of "MGM likes its fans and looks the other way."

Entire episodes, or one scene from an episode, that isn't being used in that way is a big no-no.

Not to mention the ads that have been posted everywhere on GW they must also contain copyright material, but they too have been uploaded to Youtube and the like, and the extras have also found there way onto GW threads as links.

So what is the ruling on them?
                                The YouTube / Google Video / etc. phenomenon is a new one, and it isn't quite the same animal at episode downloading via a peer-to-peer network. SCI FI makes ads to promote the product, and they want as may people as possible to see them; the ads, though no doubt copyrighted, are not a product themselves that are sold. As far as the forum rules go, I'm not prepared to rule on episode teasers, network ad spots, etc. just yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X