Artwork for All - challenges, graphics, tutorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nightmarepoet View Post
    I have just been drawing on PSE today again a little and added some light effects to it

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...98556226_n.jpg
    That's really Awesome!

Loving the cartoons everyone, and thanks for the link Nola

Comment

Really cool, Nola. Thanks for the site!
      Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
        Yeah...

Nice! I haven no idea who he is but great job!
        Actually it got slightly distorted and I corrected it afterwards. I liked Bais concept a lot, although somewhere along the way I think I got a lost ( not Bai's fault, mind you).

It's from Being Human seasons 1-3: John Mitchell,l the vampire character, played by Aiden Turner, who also plays Kili the Dwarf, in The Hobbit trilogy.

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
        I love this! GW won't let me green you though.

Same here.

I see Rodney. These are cute.

Alright, um...as much as it pains me to do this I, I think I'm gonna bow out of this thread for awhile.
        Awww, I hope you get your life sorted and come back soon. We have few GIMPers
        Originally posted by maneth View Post
        Awww... I hope you'll come back soon. I often go for weeks without making any new art, but that doesn't keep me away from the thread...
        Agreed. We all have dry spells. I didn't make an entry this week...I only had time much later but I really wanted to try the tuts suggested.

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
        http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/Nolamom/Stargate%20Stuff/Jack%20%20RDA/JackAbyssCartoon.jpg
        I know I O'Neill feels. Great cartoon, Nola, as usual, I love it
        Last edited by JadedWraith; 10 March 2013, 09:31 AM.
        sigpic
        Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
        Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

Nice comic pics everyone

Thank you Jumble and everyone for liking my cat drawing

Comment

Virtual Green Nola!!! Those are amazing
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by meredithe5 View Post
              Virtual Green Nola!!! Those are amazing
              Love your ICON and sig
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JadedWraith View Post
                Love your ICON and sig
                Thank you I just made the banner today... was in a Sam/Jack mood and I can't take credit for the cool icon
                sigpic

Comment

thank you everyone. I think I'm becoming addicted to cartooning!
                  sigpic

Comment

thank you everyone. I think I'm becoming addicted to cartooning!
                    That's a nice addiction. I tried the site. Thanks for point it out to us
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                      Awww... I hope you'll come back soon. I often go for weeks without making any new art, but that doesn't keep me away from the thread...
                      Oh, don't you worry. I'll be around.

A Sparky Comic Book

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...cBookcover.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...icBookPage.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...cBoodPage2.jpg

Maneth: I found a site for cartooning. For the comic book, I just used some of my Atlantis manips.
                      Love it!! And thanks for the link!
                      Spoiler:
                      Jeeze, I typed "kink" before fixing it.

Originally posted by JadedWraith View Post
                      Actually it got slightly distorted and I corrected it afterwards. I liked Bais concept a lot, although somewhere along the way I think I got a lost ( not Bai's fault, mind you).
                      Well, you did a good jog correcting it.

It's from Being Human seasons 1-3: John Mitchell,l the vampire character, played by Aiden Turner, who also plays Kili the Dwarf, in The Hobbit trilogy.
                      Ah, good to know. Thank you.

Awww, I hope you get your life sorted and come back soon. We have few GIMPers
                      Thanks.

Agreed. We all have dry spells. I didn't make an entry this week...I only had time much later but I really wanted to try the tuts suggested.
                      I haven't made anything new for the cartoon challenge yet. But I'm gonna give it a go! I love cartoons!

Originally posted by Nightmarepoet View Post
                      Nice comic pics everyone

Thank you Jumble and everyone for liking my cat drawing
                      You are very welcome.
                      sigpic
                      Sig by ME.

Comment

Wow. It's been at least a month since I've done anything in Photoshop and nearly that long since I've even been able to lurk on GW. Something's not right.

I've missed so much wonderful artwork!!!! I've greened where I could but GW is just not generous enough in that department.

What a surprise to see that the current challenge was suggested by me ages ago. Well that just means I have to contribute something doesn't it?

Here's an easy newspaper cartoon effect:

And here's a quick tut on how to make it:
                        Spoiler:

I use PS CS2 so this tut is for PS users. Sorry, I don't know if it's translatable into GIMP.

Start with your image in a new PS document. Duplicate this image 3 times and turn off visibility for the top 2.
                        Working with your first duplicate image, apply a cut out filter. (Filter->Artistic->Cutout) I believe my settings were
                        Number of levels=8
                        Edge Simplicity=3
                        Edge Fidelity=1
                        Add a layer mask to this layer and "erase" the eyes from this layer so that the original layer still beneath this one shows through.

Turn on the visibility of the second duplicated layer. For this layer, apply the poster edges filter. (Filter->Artistic->Poster Edges) Play around with your settings until you find what you like. For this image I used
                        Edge Thickness=3
                        Edge Intensity=1
                        Posterization=4
                        Set this layer to Darken.
                        Add a layer mask to this layer as well and "erase" the darkened, spotty areas created by the filter on the skin areas and anywhere else you think they might be too distracting.

Create a stamp of what you currently have created by pressing Control+Alt+Shift+e.
                        Sharpen this layer by using the Paint Daubs filter. (Filter->Artistic->Paint Daubs) Settings are as follows:
                        Brush Size=1
                        Sharpness=1
                        Brush Type=simple
                        Depending on your image, you may need to increase the brush size and/or sharpness settings.

Turn on the visibility of the last copy of the first layer you made. Ensure that this layer is above all other layers. Now to create the newspaper comic effect use the Half Tone filter (Filter->Pixelate->Half Tone) Use the default settings but depending on the size of your image, you may need to reduce the Max Radius setting to 4 which is the smallest pixel size allowed and the one I used for my image.
                        Reduce the opacity of this layer to around 10%.

I thought the current result was a little too heavily colored for a newpaper cartoon so I created a brightness/contrast adjustment layer and reduced the contrast -50 and and brightened the image by +10. Of course your results my vary and you may not need this layer.

Lastly I created a new layer and added a border. This one was created by selecting the entire layer, then adding a stroke of 5 pixels in black. Then I modified the size of the selection by 5 pixels (Select->Modify->Contract 5 pixels) and added a 5 pixel stroke in white set inside the black one.

And you're done.

Of course I'd really love it if someone would attempt making a manga character by using this tut.
                        This was my result when I gave it a try.

*twirls out*
                        sigpic

Comment

really nice job there Estrela!
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks Nola. It's super easy so I hope others are able to follow my attempt at a tut and produce their own cartoons.
                            sigpic

Comment

I've copied the tut and added it to my collection - I'll try it later but it looks very simple.
                              sigpic

Comment

Okay, tried Estrella's method on one of my older pieces

and the same picture using the one-click with an overlay of the original image set to 65%

Last edited by Nolamom; 10 March 2013, 08:10 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X