Getting back to the gate...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting back to the gate...

My father told me he thought the writing of Air Part 3 was bad and unrealistic, because they could easily get back to the gate. What do you guys think? I think both teams had scientists, archeologists and soldiers who are trained to know which way is north, south, east and west (and general directions) and I think they could easily get back to the gate. But what do you guys think...

Scott had problems getting back to the gate... but he was the only one that got so far - the rest either went back shortly after arriving, or in Greer's case, he met Scott half way from where he was going.

The first group (Eli's group) had no problems getting to the gate because they had the Remote thingy which probably showed them where to go (makes sense);
    The other group was Rush and Greer - and Greer should be able to get around without too much problems with his training.
    Plus, there seemed to be nearly or no wind, and much of their footsteps would still be in the sand.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blistna View Post
      My father told me he thought the writing of Air Part 3 was bad and unrealistic, because they could easily get back to the gate. What do you guys think? I think both teams had scientists, archeologists and soldiers who are trained to know which way is north, south, east and west (and general directions) and I think they could easily get back to the gate. But what do you guys think...
      They did get back to the gate. It is just the fact they freaking walked 4-5 hours to get to certain points. That means it takes ANOTHER 4-5 hours to get back.

Comment

It's not hard to follow the tracks you made going one way to go back the other way.

Comment

With no landmarks other than piles of sand, I was actually concerned that they would get lost out there but in the end it seemed the only issue with getting back to the gate was the distance they had travelled
          If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
          Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

I agree the writing in Air part 3 was pretty bad, O'Neill seemed very out of character too, I was expecting him to go "Look I got some of the biggest eggheads in existence working on this, so give it a little bit before you starting dooming everyone" to Young instead of just saying "Ok" after Young's "wrong people" whine.

Comment

Umm...everyone knew the location of the gate. No one got lost. Getting back to the gate was only a problem because of the time limit and the distance Scott had to travel to find the lake bed (and the distance Greer had to travel to rescue him).

Your father obviously didn't follow the story very closely.
              Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

in i believe 8 hours time, you can only travel 4 hours away from the gate, before returning.

not even incorporating the fact that after the initial 4 hours, you are tired and in less physical and mental condition, so the way back is probably slower

Comment

Sorry for being a stickler, but another obvious problem was the actor's shadows on the desert sand. Throughout the supposed 12 hour day in the desert there were several instances of near noontime (short) shadows mixed in with various early morning or evening (long) shadows. Also, the shadow direction sometimes didn't match the relative compass direction they were supposed to be traveling back and forth in relation to the gate. Obviously the scenes were not shot chronologically in one day or over whatever many days they were filming in the desert. We'll just have to make believe that on the desert planet the sun was swinging wildly around the sky...
                  There is no spoon...

Comment

I disagree completely. Who even had trouble finding the gate?

They first split up into 2 groups. The group with Eli didn't have a problem getting back to the gate. Greer and Rush didn't have a problem getting back the gate. The only person that had trouble getting back to the gate was Scott. But it wasn't because he couldn't find it, it was because he just physically couldn't go any farther. And dehydration in a desert isn't unrealistic.
                    sigpic
                    FOX Network

Comment

Originally posted by Pepermint Jaffa View Post
                      I disagree completely. Who even had trouble finding the gate?

They first split up into 2 groups. The group with Eli didn't have a problem getting back to the gate. Greer and Rush didn't have a problem getting back the gate. The only person that had trouble getting back to the gate was Scott. But it wasn't because he couldn't find it, it was because he just physically couldn't go any farther. And dehydration in a desert isn't unrealistic.
                      I don't think some of you understand what I am saying. I am (or rather my dad is) saying that they should have gotten lost. Think about it, traveling in the desert, people get lost in real life all the time. Why do you think the military are trained to navigate in a desert -- to determine which direction is where?

However, what someone pointed out is true -- Eli's group had the Kino which probably was able to tell them how to get back to the gate. And the other group was mostly people trained to navigate in the desert -- so it also makes sense, to me. I was asking if anyone else thought this to be odd.

Comment

I was asking if anyone else thought this to be odd.
                        No.

No one thinks it's odd that highly trained military personnel and highly intelligent scientists with advanced surveillance and navigation technology can leave a fixed point and then find their way back again.
                        Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonyMoose View Post
                          Sorry for being a stickler, but another obvious problem was the actor's shadows on the desert sand. Throughout the supposed 12 hour day in the desert there were several instances of near noontime (short) shadows mixed in with various early morning or evening (long) shadows. Also, the shadow direction sometimes didn't match the relative compass direction they were supposed to be traveling back and forth in relation to the gate. Obviously the scenes were not shot chronologically in one day or over whatever many days they were filming in the desert. We'll just have to make believe that on the desert planet the sun was swinging wildly around the sky...
                          Lol I noticed that as well. I'm surprised they didn't at least get the shadows facing a consistent direction.

Comment

1.) They didn't have any maps or compasses. That would make things difficult.

2.) All the terrain looked alike, making it easy to become disoriented. Without any landmarks for reference it is also tough to keep track of where you are.

3.) Walking in a straight line isn't as easy as you would think

4.) Dehydration can screw with your mental capabilities as well.

Scott did say that the sun was moving in a particular direction so they were using that as west and then to circle back, bout you could overshoot or miss the gate because of the terrain and keep walking as well.
                            I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Footprints. Fin.
                              Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Working...
                              X