MSgt. Ronald Greer/Eli Wallace Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSgt. Ronald Greer/Eli Wallace Discussion Thread

When I watch SGU, I find myself following MSgt. Greer and Eli the most because Greer is a very complex and unpredictable character, and Eli is one of the best emissaries for the "normal guy" that I have seen on Stargate.

What strikes me is the interaction between these two characters. Greer seems to have a deep dislike for most of the civilians, but in his interactions with Eli he's never been the slightest bit unfriendly. I would usually expect Greer to say something sarcastic to Eli, but it's Matt who does the yelling. These two are completely opposite in every way I can think of, and yet they seem to get along really well.

In "Air, Pt. 1," Greer clearly trusts Eli's judgment about the life-support reset button and backs him up. In "Air, Pt. 2," Greer is easily taking direction from Eli over the radio, and even looking directly into the kino when talking to Eli. In "Air, Pt. 3," Greer trusts Eli to wait for him at the gate and gives him a friendly slap to the chest. Greer even has the patience to come back and show Eli how to use the gun without even one sarcastic comment.

What about Eli makes Greer treat him better than the rest of the civilians? Why isn't Eli the least bit afraid of Greer, even though he's seem him point a gun at Rush and shoot Franklin? Is it chemistry between the actors, or do the characters have something else going on? I personally think that they both see that the other has the precise skills that they do not possess, and they respect each others abilities.

The usual SG pattern is for the military guys to pick on the nerdy ones (Jack/Daniel, Sheppard/McKay), but the Greer/Eli relationship seems to be breaking that mold. I'm curious to see how these two interact in the future.
    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Originally posted by Major Tyler View Post
    When I watch SGU, I find myself following MSgt. Greer and Eli the most because Greer is a very complex and unpredictable character, and Eli is one of the best emissaries for the "normal guy" that I have seen on Stargate.

What strikes me is the interaction between these two characters. Greer seems to have a deep dislike for most of the civilians, but in his interactions with Eli he's never been the slightest bit unfriendly. I would usually expect Greer to say something sarcastic to Eli, but it's Matt who does the yelling. These two are completely opposite in every way I can think of, and yet they seem to get along really well.

In "Air, Pt. 1," Greer clearly trusts Eli's judgment about the life-support reset button and backs him up. In "Air, Pt. 2," Greer is easily taking direction from Eli over the radio, and even looking directly into the kino when talking to Eli. In "Air, Pt. 3," Greer trusts Eli to wait for him at the gate and gives him a friendly slap to the chest. Greer even has the patience to come back and show Eli how to use the gun without even one sarcastic comment.

What about Eli makes Greer treat him better than the rest of the civilians? Why isn't Eli the least bit afraid of Greer, even though he's seem him point a gun at Rush and shoot Franklin? Is it chemistry between the actors, or do the characters have something else going on? I personally think that they both see that the other has the precise skills that they do not possess, and they respect each others abilities.

The usual SG pattern is for the military guys to pick on the nerdy ones (Jack/Daniel, Sheppard/McKay), but the Greer/Eli relationship seems to be breaking that mold. I'm curious to see how these two interact in the future.
    I think that Scott & Eli might end up following O'Neill/Jackson and Sheppard/McKay dynamic. However, Eli & Greer might be something very different. I get the feeling their dynamic will be more along the lines of Teal'c and Daniel, though admittedly Greer is far more gruff and talkative than Teal'c ever was.

Teal'c never disrespected Daniel's insights or abilities. Furthermore, he eventually came to view Daniel as warrior--though perhaps a warrior of a different kind (perhaps a spiritual one). Now if TPTB approach Eli correctly and start having him grow to be something other than comic relief, then I think they'll strike gold with this potential Eli/Greer bond. If they turn Eli into another McKay--which I'm really hoping they won't as we've already gone down that road--then a wonderful dramatic opportunity will have been lost.
    sigpic

Comment

What's also interesting is in "Air Pt. 3" Eli sprints up beside Greer smiling (probably to tell a joke) only to be halted with a "save it" which he does not shout.

You only see Eli run up beside someone again after the Planet of Apes joke, when Rush says "was it?"which Eli seems to misinterpet as Rush engaging him.

What seems to make the first incident especially telling is that Eli doesn't shout the joke and approach whoever acknowledges the it, but instead seems resolved to get within indeclinable earshot-range to specifically tell whatever joke in mind to Greer.

Comment

Originally posted by Radahldo View Post
        What's also interesting is in "Air Pt. 3" Eli sprints up beside Greer smiling (probably to tell a joke) only to be halted with a "save it" which he does not shout.

You only see Eli run up beside someone again after the Planet of Apes joke, when Rush says "was it?"which Eli seems to misinterpet as Rush engaging him.

What seems to make the first incident especially telling is that Eli doesn't shout the joke and approach whoever acknowledges the it, but instead seems resolved to get within indeclinable earshot-range to specifically tell whatever joke in mind to Greer.
        I think the "save it" comment was directed at Franklin when he was drinking his water. Still, Eli might have been hoping to get some reaction from Greer. I'll have to watch that scene again to see what I can make of it.

Comment

No Greeli this week.

The Kino-sessions of Vanessa and bald-soldier were interesting. Vanessa seems like the sci-fi archetype that would let their sense of honor and duty fluctuate because the idea of dying in space freightens them, leading to bad decisions.
          I don't get that impression from Greer, for instance his will never seemed to falter on the sand planet. I don't think the thought of dying depresses him.

Also, while I don't think Vanessa wouldve let that small gang hurt Eli, it's interesting how threatened he seemed; whereas Greer can wave around and discharge weapons in his prescence and he isnt scared at all.

Comment

No Greeli this week.
            There wasn't much of Greer at all in this episode, but I remember Joe Mallozzi saying on his blog that we learn more about him in "Light," so perhaps we'll get our Greeli fix next week.

The Kino-sessions of Vanessa and bald-soldier were interesting. Vanessa seems like the sci-fi archetype that would let their sense of honor and duty fluctuate because the idea of dying in space frightens them, leading to bad decisions.

I don't get that impression from Greer, for instance his will never seemed to falter on the sand planet. I don't think the thought of dying depresses him.
            Greer is very level-headed, and, while I don't think he's happy to be stuck on the ship, he is intelligent enough to know that whining about it and freaking out isn't going to help anything.

Also, while I don't think Vanessa wouldve let that small gang hurt Eli, it's interesting how threatened he seemed; whereas Greer can wave around and discharge weapons in his prescence and he isnt scared at all.
            I think Eli was surprised, but he did snap back with some sarcasm in his own defense. When Vanessa said "don't be an idiot," he was quick to say, "oh, yeah, I really respond well to that!" Still he was definitely more uncomfortable around them (especially Sgt. Spencer) than he ever is around Greer.

I can't wait for next week!

Comment

Not much direct Greeli this week, although I would like to see fan fic that plays upon the connotes of: "If I catch using the kino to spy on our fine ladies and enlisted female personale... I will be using the kino to spy on you Eli, from the inside."

He definitely isn't scared of Death it seems. Was interesting how romantic his perception of it was. It was interesting how he isolated and barred himself while others were praying in groups, playing cards and seeming rudderless.
              (I don't mean to equate prayer with a card game.)

I liked scene he had with Eli. He was questioing the point of the documentaries, but Eli did not seem exasperated with Greer, not until Scott and Chole came in. They ruined his mood; Scott had a slight attitude; Eli was okay with just Greer and the miscellaneous background people.

Comment

I think it's a safe bet that Greeli is a no-go.

Comment

I liked Greer's confidence in "Incursion, Part 2" that Eli would "take a bullet" to protect Chloe. I didn't think that Greer had such a high opinion of our beloved geek.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler View Post
                    I liked Greer's confidence in "Incursion, Part 2" that Eli would "take a bullet" to protect Chloe. I didn't think that Greer had such a high opinion of our beloved geek.
                    That really was a great moment, I agree. As Air has been mentioned so frequently upthread, I liked that Greer told Eli to wait, and that Eli waited. That's what, 5 or 6 hours he stood there (storywise) in the baking sun, waiting for Greer to get back? Greer trusting Eli with his gun as well. I'd say that Greer has had some measure of respect for Eli right from the beginning.
                    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Working...
                    X