Smallville Newbie Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smallville Newbie Question

Hey there, just wanted to ask you do i have to watch all eight season or can I watch lets say from season 5 or smth?! i watched severell old episodes from smallville on tv and dont want to begin with season one.
    sigpic

I would generally say with any TV show that you should watch from the begining. But if you dont want to do that, then i say that you could possibly pass on 1-3, which for the most part are generally villian of the weekish and dont have overlasting arcs or major effects on the rest of the season, tho some characters will appear again later on. Istarted watching from mid to later season 3 and after a few episodes, i knew what was what, but i did watch the 1, 2 & the first half of season 3 at a later date.

Comment

i still dont know if im going to watch this, usually i like dc comics and superman, but i always thought of smallville a kinda dawsons creek, oc show with sci-fi elements in it. I like shows like of course stargate sg1 atlantis,bsg, fringe, lost, etc and dont know if im going to like this or not.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
        i still dont know if im going to watch this, usually i like dc comics and superman, but i always thought of smallville a kinda dawsons creek, oc show with sci-fi elements in it. I like shows like of course stargate sg1 atlantis,bsg, fringe, lost, etc and dont know if im going to like this or not.
        The thing with Smallville, when its at its best its really good, but at its worst its really bad. IMO season 1-3 (and a little bit season 4) are the more teen-ish season as they are set in a high school, while later season have more of a arc are a little darker (particularly season 8). You say that you like dc comics, when it comes down to introducing smallville versions of dc hero's they are some of the best episode. "Justice" in season 6, which is the JL episode is still considered one of the best episode of the show. Id say if your unsure, maybe check out season 8 since its a bit of a fresh start for the show.

Comment

ok thx, maybe ill check it out soon if i get a chance to watch it...
          sigpic

Comment

ok thx, maybe ill check it out soon if i get a chance to watch it...
            I would definitely recommend it. Smallville has had its ups and downs, but, what show hasn't? Overall, I have enjoyed it from the very beginning.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Hey there, just wanted to ask you do i have to watch all eight season or can I watch lets say from season 5 or smth?! i watched severell old episodes from smallville on tv and dont want to begin with season one.
              'I started watching in season 5 and never felt like I couldn't understand what was going on. I went back later and watched the first 4 seasons and didn't feel like missing them hurt at all. They aren't bad, but the myth arc doesn't really get going until season 5. That said, I do plan on buying the series boxset when it's canceled.

As for being a "Dawson's Creek Show", just like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, it does have it's share of teen angst. especially in the first 6 seasons, but especially in the first 4 seasons. And this is the kind of show that is absolutely horrible on a bad day and absolutely brilliant on a good day. If you can't look past those two basic faults of the show, this might not be the show for you. Also, you have to be willing to accept that this isn;t a prequel to Superman, but a re imagining. Otherwise the differences between some of the established DC characters and their counterpoints will just bother you to no end.

All in all it's worth a watch. If you really want to be sure you'll like it, I'd say the best litmus test is the first 5 episodes of season 6 as these run the gamut from awesome to just plain silly. If you can handle all five of these episodes, you should be good for any of the other silliness in the show. (But a warning, these episodes conbtain massive spoilers for the end of season 5)
              "Enemies of the Ori show no mercy in their attempts to draw believers away from the path."
              "Those who abandon the path are evil."
              "Hallowed are the Ori!"

"Individuals who point the finger and assign blame based on nothing more than their gut instinct are ignorant at best, cretins at worst." -- Joseph Mallozzi

Comment

Working...
              X