Your opinions of Dollhouse's future ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your opinions of Dollhouse's future ?

Ok I don't know why everyone bashing Dollhouse. Its good idea that needs only a couple of tweeks. First of all I love Eliza Dushku in the role and she even told a late night show she thinks its an actors dream. But they should have had her own personality kept so she could go back to it. This is a great thing for character development. If she keeps changing into different personalities every week how could that happen? But she seems to make work as is. Second would it have done better on another channel? Same goes for the Terminator series ,would that have done better on say on scifi channel?

P.S. Eliza Dushku is awsome ,no more haters !

I almost wonder if at least some of the cynicism isn't a preemptive thing to head off disappointment if/when Dollhouse gets the axe. But if folks have issues, they're within their rights to express 'em. *shrug* I can see where some of 'em are coming from and even agree with some of the complaints, but I'm just a little more willing to grant some leeway and wait for things to develop. Which probably sounds REALLY weird to those who know me from Stargate fandom. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by jakebolt View Post
      Ok I don't know why everyone bashing Dollhouse. Its good idea that needs only a couple of tweeks. First of all I love Eliza Dushku in the role and she even told a late night show she thinks its an actors dream. But they should have had her own personality kept so she could go back to it. This is a great thing for character development. If she keeps changing into different personalities every week how could that happen? But she seems to make work as is. Second would it have done better on another channel? Same goes for the Terminator series ,would that have done better on say on scifi channel?

I haven't seen haters, unless you consider anyone that doesn't agree with you one. People seem to be giving an honest opinion, the one I see most often is that the show was dull, yet they will give it a chance. That is hundred times more than anyone could ask for. Most often, people would say it is dull, and good riddance to the show.

While this may be an actor's dream, some call it an ego-vehicle, this does not necessarily translate to an audience's dream. I like Eliza, I think she has some good qualities. But she certainly is not a household name, and certainly is not a premier A-list actress. My point is that the average viewer (notice I said average) who has no personal interest in her could care less about watching her do different roles.

And certainly this would do better on another channel, specifically anything but prime time broadcast. As it is now, the show is going to be on a life line for the rest of it's existence. Think of it this way, while a Friday night SciFi channel show can survive off of 1.5-2.0, broadcasts typically want 3.0 and above. It was a huge, and idiotic, mistake to bring this genre show to FOX, and NOT FX. Plus, being on FX would have allowed them much more freedom (FCC has NO control over cable, only broadcast). Not saying that they should go to full frontal nudity moving to FX, but at least there they could explore themes with much more freedom.

In the end, as I have said before, the whole concept of this show is just not imaginative, or creative enough to really draw any interest. You can't blame audiences, FOX, or anyone except the show's creator should this fail. And I believe it's chances are very slim to none unless they introduce something drastic in the next few episodes. If not, then the show will be canceled, and you simply have to lay fault where it is due, and that is the show's creators.

Comment

Originally posted by SBN View Post
        In the end, as I have said before, the whole concept of this show is just not imaginative, or creative enough to really draw any interest.
        How about letting the rest of us decide what we find creative and imaginative instead of telling us what we think? I think the concept is perfectly imaginative and creative and I'm looking forward to seeing how Joss spins things. If YOU, PERSONALLY don't find it very original that's fine... for you. But I'd like to express my OWN opinions, thank you, especially since in this instance I don't agree with you.

Comment

Oh I don't mean there are haters here , I mean they are else where , Did I just use a StarWars reference ,oh never mind. I wonder if Eliza Dushku would have been used to make a good character on Stargate? Ok Dollhouse wasn't that good ,it was ok

Comment

I think the overall concept is really creative, even though the first episode was quite dull. I am willing to give it a chance of course, as it has only been one episode and with such an original idea, there is definitely potential.

On another note, as a BSG fan, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Tahmoh Penikett is starring in this series.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
              How about letting the rest of us decide what we find creative and imaginative instead of telling us what we think? I think the concept is perfectly imaginative and creative and I'm looking forward to seeing how Joss spins things. If YOU, PERSONALLY don't find it very original that's fine... for you. But I'd like to express my OWN opinions, thank you, especially since in this instance I don't agree with you.
              Excuse me, but I was not expressing an opinion on your behalf. I am giving an objective opinion on what I see (notice how the I is bold?).

What would you rather have? Shills and yes men who just tell you what you want to hear? How does that ever improve anything? The whole point and role of a critic is to provide an objective and unbiased opinion. I have no particular bias, love or hate, to anyone associated with this show.

I give an objective opinion based upon only what I see, it may serve to actually listen to some of us who aren't exactly biased simply because of who is behind the show, or who is in the show. Fact of the matter is this, they either are going to have to improve, make corrections, or the show will be canceled. That is the cold hard fact.

Comment

The thing i've noticed is that....

No matter whatever board you go to for whatever scifi show (whether that be BSG, Heroes, Dollhouse, Fringe, TSCC etc etc etc) there is one thing prevalent. And that is a lot of ppl going "winge winge winge, b*tch, b*tch, b*tch" about the show.

Even if the premiere of Dollhouse was the best thing that had ever come out, i reckon that there'd still be about 60% of ppl going "oh this is sh*t, they should have done this... fox sucks, joss whedon sucks etc etc etc".

I remember the good ol' days when i started going to TV site msg boards (a while ago, probably 5-7 years - whenever BtVS season 6 was on in aust) and the majority of ppl actually talked about the tv show and how good it was instead of complaining.

But that's one of the reasons I still keep coming to Gateworld, the wingers are at a minimum here for most shows I watch

Comment

I think that alot of the negativity in the media started because of issues that happened over the course of production. Things like moving the original pilot to episode 2 an filming a new pilot, then scraping the original pilot completly, then a 6 week stop in production to re-work some of the scripts. Because of things like alot of TV reviewer all ready had a negative view of the show before they had seen the show.

Comment

Originally posted by SBN View Post
                    Excuse me, but I was not expressing an opinion on your behalf. I am giving an objective opinion on what I see (notice how the I is bold?).
                    "[Dollhouse] is just not imaginative" isn't an opinion, it's a statement of fact. There was no "I think Dollhouse isn't imaginative" (notice how the I is bold?) you were stating as fact something that clearly wasn't any such thing.

What would you rather have? Shills and yes men who just tell you what you want to hear?
                    LMAO! I'm the last person in the world who can complain about critical comments directed at a show and as I've said in my posts I have no problem with that and can even agree with some of the complaints, however, I draw the line at having someone else TELL me what I think, particularly when I disagree.

You think Dollhouse is unimaginative, recycled crap? Fine, go ahead and say so. But next time remember your pronouns. YOU are the one who thinks Dollhouse is unimaginative and uncreative and while YOU may think you're right that still doesn't make it a fact and I am under no obligation to agree with it.

Comment

Ok I started this thread because people where bashing Eliza Dushku's acting not the actual show. I only thought she did a good job for such a strange role.

Comment

Ok I started this thread because people where bashing Eliza Dushku's acting not the actual show. I only thought she did a good job for such a strange role.
                        Ahhh, but you said everyone is bashing Dollhouse, not everyone is bashing Eliza. As far as Gateworld goes, however, I can't say I've seen any actual bashing of her. Criticisms, yes, but not bashing. As much as you may like her yourself and think she's a fabulous actress you're going to have to allow folks to disagree. Your opinion that Eliza is awesome is no more factual than SBN's opinion that the show is unimaginative.

If you do see any bashing going on here the best thing to do is report it to the mods. They're coming down extra hard on that sort of thing. But just saying that someone doesn't like her or thinks she comes across as weak or whatever doesn't really count as a mod-able offence.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                          Ahhh, but you said everyone is bashing Dollhouse, not everyone is bashing Eliza. As far as Gateworld goes, however, I can't say I've seen any actual bashing of her. Criticisms, yes, but not bashing. As much as you may like her yourself and think she's a fabulous actress you're going to have to allow folks to disagree. Your opinion that Eliza is awesome is no more factual than SBN's opinion that the show is unimaginative.

If you do see any bashing going on here the best thing to do is report it to the mods. They're coming down extra hard on that sort of thing. But just saying that someone doesn't like her or thinks she comes across as weak or whatever doesn't really count as a mod-able offence.
                          You are really taking way too personal, and getting way too emotionally attached to this whole subject. Maybe it is best to take a few steps back? I gave a critique, if you can not simply accept it, then move on. If you disagreed with my statement that the show is unimaginative, then fine. You had the chance to discuss that, but that time has passed. But don't be bringing my name up anymore. The last thing I care to do is discuss or debate anything of this subject with you, you have clearly shown a complete lack of objectivity.

Comment

Dollhouse fandom makes me LMAO.

Comment

Take it easy on each other,everyone.

As there dont seem to be any actual bashers of Dollhouse on GW ,and we don't encourage that kind of thing anyway,I've changed the thread title to reflect that .

Bagpuss
                              GateWorld Moderator.
                              The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Working...
                              X