No announcement yet.

Cold Wars (317)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The writers of Heroes sometimes leave gaps they expect the fans to fill with simple logic, rather than them having to explain every little thing that happens. Unfortunately, some people refuse to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey View Post
      The writers of Heroes sometimes leave gaps they expect the fans to fill with simple logic, rather than them having to explain every little thing that happens. Unfortunately, some people refuse to do that.
      Also does not other things get explained in their online games and comics to.

Comment

I liked the episode as a whole, but missed the Sylar subplot. I hope they do something heavily with that plot soon. Loved how HRG and Mrs. Petrelli are minipulating everyone, again.
        http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/..._DanielSig.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
          I think the reason Peter could fly is something we'll find out about later. I think if he holds on to an ability for long enough he keeps it.
          Did you mean to say person? At the end of last season Peter held onto Nathan's power until he ran into another meta. He lost it as soon as he touched another metahuman.... He most likely held that same power for a similar amount of time this season but things have changed...?

When Peter said he could only hold on to one power at a time he didn't say anything absolute, he said "for some reason"
          And it is lazy writing to have him figure out that he can fly while carrying Parkman with out at least dropping a hint.

You're not hearing what I said. I'm saying I think once Peter has held on to an ability for an extended period of time he keeps that ability. Permanently. So even if he absorbed Parkman's ability when he flew off with him he wouldn't drop him because he'd already retained the ability to fly indefinitely.

And the writers have never said "trust us"
          Perhaps you can say what you mean the first time instead of saying that I'm not reading your properly.

No he's not. I'm not sure where you got that idea from, but Parkman has probably struggled with his powers more than anybody else on the show.
          You didn't understand this either. Weather or not Parkman's ability is more "powerful" than anybody else's ability is debatable but irrelevant. Parkman's inability to control, understand his powers is what makes him weaker than some of the other heroes and keeps him from realizing his full potential.

There's no evidence to support the claim that nobody can realistically overcome his ability. HRG doesn't even have powers and Parkman made it clear in last night's episode that it would be more difficult to get inside his head. So it's clearly not a foregone conclusion.
          Yea, Parkman only fooled Nox, overcame his father, broke through Arthur's power, and forced armed men to kill one another. HRG's ability to evade Parkman is an example of the writers saying trust me. It makes no sense since he overcame Angela.......

I did misinterpret what you originally intended. I was staying with my original point that Parkman is one of the most powerful metahumans alive.

Comment

Originally posted by flameling View Post
            I liked the episode as a whole, but missed the Sylar subplot. I hope they do something heavily with that plot soon. Loved how HRG and Mrs. Petrelli are minipulating everyone, again.
            Well, I know the March 9th episode will deal heavily with Sylar and his mission to find his father.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Phenix View Post
              Perhaps you can say what you mean the first time instead of saying that I'm not reading your properly.
              I did. I said the exact same thing in the first post.
              || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Peter not taking Parkmans powers can be easily explained by saying that Peter can avoid taking powers if he wants to, he just has to have his guard up when he touches the person (on the plane he didn´t really know about this but has since figured it out)

The episode on the whole was rather good, I´m glad to finally have a Claire and Hiro free episode so there was no character irritating me this week.

Comment

I find it rather stupid that all the Heroes (and Sylar too) don't try to use their power(s) more often or more effectively! Their powers give them so much potential but they waste it constantly! They mostly behave as if they were common fugitives without any special powers! It is pretty lame!

And on the other hand, Nathan's plan is really stupid (even from Nathan's perspective)! He has absolutely no reason for trying to detain all metahumans, including those who don't even have any potentially dangerous powers.

Comment

I’m not sure why this episode required three writers. On the face of it, the structure and content is about as simple as it gets, and a lot less complicated than most of the episodes this season. Somehow, despite the very focused nature of the narrative, the writers managed to incorporate two elements that undermine the notion that they're trying to avoid needless repetition.

It feels like the writers sat down and tried to figure out how to bring the story back to the glories of the first season, and remembered that one of the best episodes happened to be "Company Man". "Heroes" had taken a page from the "Lost" playbook and focused on its most morally grey character, Noah Bennett, and explored his true motivations and history. It's still probably the best episode of the series, and it's obvious why the writers would want to invoke the same strengths.

The main story was actually not bad. It was interesting seeing the dynamic between Peter, Matt, and Mohinder. Matt denies that losing Daphne has led to some serious instability, but that's clearly not the case. He's more than happy to torture Noah to get information he wants, and he turns on Mohinder with barely any provocation. He wants someone to blame and punish.

Mohinder, on the other hand, seems about as confused about himself as the audience. His character motivations have been so diverse since the beginning of the third season that it's hard to know if Matt really is stepping over the line. Logically, however, Noah said nothing that would have led Mohinder to do much of anything, since it was all so vague, and he could have said that. But then, he and Matt wouldn't have had a reason to fight, would they?

This would have been a good time for Peter to step up to the plate as the resistance leader. While his actions prove that he has the ability and some of the will, he really should have tried to rein in the Matt/Mohinder angst. One big problem with every season of "Heroes" has been the lack of a unifying figure for the "good guys". Peter has been the obvious candidate in nearly every case, and yet, the writers still keep his character idling in third gear.

In terms of Noah's memories, most of them explain what was already rather obvious. Danko is a zealot with a desire to eliminate the threat of the metahumans (probably because someone was killed by one, the usual drill), and Bennett is working within the system to try to find a way to bring him down. Danko is inching ever closer to his goal of pushing Nathan out of the driver's seat so he can get his personal crusade underway. It's all something we already knew; Noah's interrogation did more to benefit the characters than the audience.

The end of the episode does suggest that Angela Petrelli is "Rebel", but it's not confirmed, and all we really know is that Bennett and Angela are both trying to contain the damage that Nathan has caused. They both see Danko as the threat, and they're working together. The net effect is a minor advancement of the story; Mohinder's capture is more significant.

As noted above, none of this would have amounted to much annoyance, except for the fact that the writers chose two overdone story elements for their big reveals. First, there's Daphne. Her death was a big shock, and helped to elevate the stakes right from the start of the new volume. Having her survive is a lot less interesting, and continues the trend of bringing back characters that were better off dead. (Unless, of course, the writers can give Daphne a reason to exist beyond her function in Matt's psychology.)

The second problem, and a much bigger one, was the final reveal. It's bad enough that the writers have repurposed Matt into "prophecy guy", because they can't stop returning to the Isaac well again and again. But it's much worse to return to the "one of the heroes is going to destroy a city" plot device. How many times are the writers going to repeat themselves?

This wasn't a horrible episode, but it did confirm that the writing staff is struggling to develop new ideas. As promising as the "Fugitives" concept might have been, the execution is slipping right back into all too familiar territory.

Comment

I really loved this episode as HRG is one of my favorite characters. Matt's actions are very odd though, he has gotten far more darker.

Comment

While I have been through the ups and downs about HRG, I have finally realized he is one of my favorite characters. I don't always "like" his character, because sometimes he is bad and sometimes good. I am starting to realize his complexity and unpredictable nature is awesome.

Was that a different watch he gave back to Angela?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                          Was that a different watch he gave back to Angela?
                          I think it was the same one. He's not ready to retire just yet....

HRG is still my favorite character...well the only one I care about anymore anyway. Though he's not quite as interesting anymore because while he does fall into that morally gray area, he is still mostly on the side of the heroes...going all the way back to season two when they showed a possible future and Noah was helping those with powers. When it comes to choosing a side, he seems to ultimately side with them...because of Claire I suppose.

Meh. Episode was okay. Didn't really reveal anything other than Daphne is still alive, and I had already read a spoiler for that. I already knew HRG was playing both sides of the fence.

Ugh. I hate Nathan. There is no redemption for him unless he sacrifices himself and dies and stays dead this time, but it still won't be as effective as the first time when he saved Peter.
                          IMO always implied.

Comment

It's REALLY starting to annoy me now that no one is mentioning that Nathan has powers, it would completely land him in the **** yet none of them mention it, seriously lazy writing, I could forgive it if it were just one or two scenes but it's gotten beyond a joke now.

Comment

Originally posted by Corgano View Post
                              I find it rather stupid that all the Heroes (and Sylar too) don't try to use their power(s) more often or more effectively! Their powers give them so much potential but they waste it constantly! They mostly behave as if they were common fugitives without any special powers! It is pretty lame!

And on the other hand, Nathan's plan is really stupid (even from Nathan's perspective)! He has absolutely no reason for trying to detain all metahumans, including those who don't even have any potentially dangerous powers.
                              The forcus has ment to be about the people not the powers. As to nathan, whys he doing it?? well essentially he wants a "cure" and the more metahumans he catch, the more lab rats for testing he has.

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                              I really loved this episode as HRG is one of my favorite characters. Matt's actions are very odd though, he has gotten far more darker.
                              i'm sure that if you thought that your partner was killed youd go to a dark place to.

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                              It's REALLY starting to annoy me now that no one is mentioning that Nathan has powers, it would completely land him in the **** yet none of them mention it, seriously lazy writing, I could forgive it if it were just one or two scenes but it's gotten beyond a joke now.
                              Well Tracy has mentioned it, and its more then possible that the hunter saw the video feed when she said this and is waiting for the right momment. Also why didnt Peter say anything in this episode, well the phrase "better the devil you know comes to mind"

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                                I almost expect it to happen some time near the end of the volume. If they did it now they wouldn't be able to keep both Nathan and Danko around unless Nathan joined the fugitives and that's not likely since he's a senator.

The only other option would be for one of them to kill the other. Nathan isn't gonna die because he's part of the main cast and it wouldn't make sense for them to have Danko so involved in the story to just kill him off half way thru.
                                || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Working...
                                X