Am I the only one who liked Nemesis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I the only one who liked Nemesis?

I seriously don't understand why people didn't like Nemesis... the one thing i didn't like is killing off Data and introducing a bumbling clone-robot, but other then that I thought it was an enjoyable Star Trek movie and the combat between the Enterprise and the Scorpion was just plain awesome.

Usually the movies go through a hit and miss, and I felt that first Contact was awesome, Insurrection was decent but nothing great, and then Nemesis was right on the ball again.

I thought Nemesis was okay... I didn't hate it. There were definitely elements I liked, though. I was glad to see Riker and Troi finally get married, after so many years of denial. And Wil Wheaton at least made it into the background! I was said that most of Wil's part got cut, though - and even more sad to hear that he had to find that out from some of his site readers who got word before he did.
    "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
    My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

No you're not the only one that liked it, I did as well. Actually, I liked all the ST movies -- yup, maybe that'll make me the only one.
      Don't make me zat you

It took us 15 years and 3 super computers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth.

Dial=> http://www.pathcom.com/~kcheung for days remaining until the Vancouver con!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
        I seriously don't understand why people didn't like Nemesis... the one thing i didn't like is killing off Data and introducing a bumbling clone-robot, but other then that I thought it was an enjoyable Star Trek movie and the combat between the Enterprise and the Scorpion was just plain awesome.

Usually the movies go through a hit and miss, and I felt that first Contact was awesome, Insurrection was decent but nothing great, and then Nemesis was right on the ball again.
        I agree with you.

However, I also didnt like the dune buggy thing. Come on first you have transporters that can get you closer but TPTB wanted a cool driving scene, thats fine, but why not show some cool advance technology instead of a stupid little car chase.

Datas death was unnecessary, didnt make too much sense and was just cheesy as was the clone. The rest was like a good STNG episode though and I liked it well enough. Certainly didnt hate it like Star trek 1 or star trek 5. I would watch it again. I liked Insurrection more and First Contact is clearly the class of the star trek NG (and maybe any gen) movies.
        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

its was a great movie, and BTW shinzons ship was the shimitar not the scorpion, and for one am so glad we didnt see anymore of that joystick piloting an advanced spaceship crap we saw in insurection, ugh am I the only one who hated that? also in the deleated scenes where where theay replace picards chair thats pretty cool,

Comment

out of the TNG movies, Nemesis would be my second favourite but i still enjoyed the movie a lot.

i'm glad they used B-4 because it means that part of Data isn't dead although it is star trek and no one really dies because of time travel.

one thing i didn't like was Troi at the Enterprise E's helm. first time she was at helm she crashed the saucer section of the D, this time she rams another ship. off course it was through no fault of her own, but it's not a good sign when she pilots.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade
              one thing i didn't like was Troi at the Enterprise E's helm. first time she was at helm she crashed the saucer section of the D, this time she rams another ship. off course it was through no fault of her own, but it's not a good sign when she pilots.
              I noticed that as well! As much as I like her character, a pilot she's not.
              "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
              My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

IMHO Nemesis was pretty crappy, I think it really diminished what the TNG group of characters and actors accomplished. They deserved a much better send off or they should have never made that snooze fest of a movie. I fell asleep when I went to see it in the theaters the first time but I did enjoy it watching it the second time on DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by CYBEREAGLE19
                  its was a great movie, and BTW shinzons ship was the shimitar not the scorpion,
                  You're correct, but I believe it's spelled 'Scimitar'. Indeed, that battle between the Ent-E and the clearly superior Scimitar was without a doubt the best space-battle Star Trek has ever been patron to (only marginally beating the Cube battle in FC).

Plus the Soundtrack, while not as good as First Contact's, was excellent and fit well with the action and soforth.
                  Jayne - Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
                  Kaylee - Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it.
                  Jayne - Oh, hell, i've been to the edge. Just looked like... more space.
                  - Serenity

Comment

Personally I thought the original ST motion picture was the worst and Nemesis was a close second. I agree with Starbase in that the TNG group deserved a better send off. I also enjoyed it more the second time around on DVD.
                    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Well, depsite the fact that I said I liked all the ST movies, that's not entirely true I guess -- some were kinda cheezy, but I try to ignore that fact and just accept it as it is and just accept it as Star Trek. The original movie was kinda bad -- as a matter of fact, and if I dare say, I can't bear to watch the entire thing.
                      Don't make me zat you

It took us 15 years and 3 super computers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth.

Dial=> http://www.pathcom.com/~kcheung for days remaining until the Vancouver con!

Comment

I thought that this was a very good science fiction film. You have some drama (the tension with Schizu), some sci fi (the cloning), and some action (the battle scenes). It was a good movie to watch without having to know the whole background story. I like the fact that it was dark, and different.

I enjoyed the dune buggy scene! I thought it was cool watching Picard getting into some action (why should everyone else have all the fun?). The one thing that I wish was more played out was the wedding, I know it was filmed but later edited out for time. I wanted to see that, especially since it did have everybody back together for at least a few minutes.

I do agree with everyone that FC is the best out of the TNG movies. Just watch this movie without having to take it apart piece by piece, and maybe you would see that its a good movie.
                        Just sitting here at the computer..typing my life away!

Comment

I didn't like Nemesis for a lot of reasons.

First of all, the music. The music is one of the most essential parts of a trek film. This overly dramatic percussion and string theme just wasn't good.

Second, cornyness. I couldn't think of a better word, I just thought a lot of things in the movie were cheesy and dumb. The opening scene where the Senate is killed, that was just silly. It could have been interesting, but it really wasn't. Data singing, the behavior of B4. All of it just seemed silly.

Third, un-treklike elements. The driving scene with the Argo, the sex scene with Deana. Just not Trek like and probably only added by TPTB to get viewers.

Fourth, plot. It seems like they had a lot of interesting ideas - learning about the Remans, deadly radiation weapons, another brother for Data; but they were all thrown together in a way that really seemed like they were literally thrown together. Shinzon is a genius, he could have figured out a 1000 different ways to get a spy on Enterprise, but he just happened to have an extra android laying around? Please. Also, how did the Remans get that much power in the first place? Throughout ST history we have heard how terrible Romulan labor camps are, but now all of a sudden they decide to turn a blind eye to the Remans building a massive warship? Yeah I'll just build an aircraft carrier in my backyard and see if the US government notices.

Fifth, setting. In other Trek films we see a lot of different settings, but in Nemesis we see Romulus, the Enterprise, the Simitar, and that planet where they found B4, and most of the movie took place on the Enterprise.

Sixth, illogical. Earth is the capital of the Federation, yet this warship, despite its power, is just going to waltz in? Please. Starfleet mobilized a battle group of like six federation vessels. Six? That's all there is near Earth? Or how about this radiation weapon that is supposedly this powerful thing, and Data takes it out with a phaser blast? And amazingly it still works after a starship rams it.

I could go on and on. I just didn't like the quality. It's like Jurassic Park 3: good if you want special effects and action, horrible if you want plot.
                          Last edited by walterIsTheMan; 04 December 2005, 06:33 PM.

Comment

WalterIsTheMan, when we disagree, we really disagree... and when we agree, we really agree.

This is one of the latter times. I owe you a green for stating it so well as soon as I can rep you again. Even the part about the musical score... one of Goldsmith's weakest ever (out of a career tha had many fantastic scores, may he rest in peace).

Comment

another thing, scorpion was the name of that shuttle picard and date flew inside shinzonz ship

Comment

Working...
                              X