No announcement yet.

Aurora (209)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, this happens to the be the Aurora of Greek Mythology.

I expected AMAZING warship, not science ship.

However, something that was referenced to bring Dawn out and therefore the sun relates to knowledge. The sun has been the archetype of knowledge and the rising sun is a symbol of increasing knowledge or science. Therefore, Aurora brings out the sun and therefore knowledge = science.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
      1. They couldn't take the ones out that they checked because the physical bodies were too degraded to re-support life again. So if they done it, then they would have been killed instantly or very very shortly after being re-awoken. It's possible with more time that they might have managed to wake up some of the younger member of the crew but they didn't have time to go through hundreds of pods on several decks.
      I was actually referring to grabbing the pods and ancients - so the ancients stay in statis for the time being but they could be revived later. Possibly using cloned bodies with the help of the Asgard.

2. The computer wasn't easy to hack, it only became easy in the VR world. Originally in real life Wraith don't have the gene & so would have been locked out of all important areas of the ship.
      That said the fact that both Rodney and the Wraith could hack into the VR world simply screams insecure system.

3. It depends on what there speed was, Just because it wasn't intergalactic doesn't mean that it didn't zip about Pegasus like the Flash while it was still fully functional.
      The captain mentioned that it would take months (maybe two months) to travel to atlantis. This means that Aurora was slower than Promethues, and FAR slower than daedaleus.

4. He explained that in the episode, it was too important & would have been far safer in the computers, where if anything happened then there would have been a far better chance of recovery. Again the computers were only easy in the VR world that the Wraith had modified to suit it's own ends.
      Maybe. But still really really bad idea - especially considering that the VR system would open a loop hole for hackers.

5. Probably the same reason they didn't take out the weapons sat or send more troops to the planet in 'Trinity.' They didn't see it as a threat. They might have realised about trying to gain the knowledge of the advanced ancient tech which it contained, but because they were Wraith then the security measures probably kicked in & stopped them from gaining access to it. Then when the ZPM was plugged back in, it began broadcasting & powered up again & they then they could try & get into the systems somehow.
      Maybe

6. They probably did initially but the Wraith re-wrote the program to it's own ends & that also would have meant erasing certain parts of their memories.
      I guess this is one of those - they're supposed to know better type issues.

7. They were on the other side of the galaxy with no local gates to help make it more secure. So because of the nature of the info & the distance that the message would have had to travel then it would have been too risky.
      I wouldnt argue with that. It still seems that the ancients we're terribly ignorant of potential issues not to mention terrible tacticians.

8. It isn't an Asgard ship & so wouldn't have anything like the pulling power of one. The Aurora seemed pretty big to me & so I don't think they had the power to tug it anywhere. Also there wasn't enough time beforem they were alerted to the Cruisers being on the way.
      I agree, Im not so sure Deaduleus even has a tractor beam or tow line capable of moving something 2x its size. Aurora is one big ship.

9. Making a few changes to a computer program is simple in terms of breaking into peroples minds & storing their consciousnesses into a few hard drives. There is no way they are advanced enough to do such a task.
      Considering that all the replicators combined we're incapable of storing the information in Daniel Jackson alone and the fact that ancients we're nearing the requirements for ascension its likely no-one could readily store that much information.

10. It had power constantly onto the stasis pods, the main power would have been damaged during the battle like the weapons sat platform, yet I'm sure that a few bypasses would have been enough to get a few basic systems back online for a brief period.

I was pretty shocked that they we're able to restore life support considering the condition of the bridge. I mean that was in just NASTY shape. It had been gutted.

Comment

It was never really made clear exactly what type of ship it was but it was so mashed up when they found it it probably wouldn't have made much difference in terms of trying to use any weapons it might have had.

Comment

little bit of information gained on anchient tech

"months to return to atlantis"

-the ship was on the outer rim of the pegasis galaxy.

daedalus could get to the pegasis galaxy in 2 weeks without the ZPM. 4 days from earth of atlantis using ZPM.

"intelligence within days" using the most advanced hyperdrives the anchients have. our hyperdrives can pull that off easily.

Comment

While I actually enjoyed the episode in it's ownright I'll agree that it does raise some rather troubling questions about how exactly the Wraith ever managed to beat the Ancients.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread the best explanation used to be "the Ancients didn't have a real military/they were space hippies" but that explanation was completely destroyed by the Ancient ship here which looks more militarily professional than any Wraith one we've ever seen and it's supposed to be more advanced to boot.

The only explanation seems to be that the Wraith have gone into some sort of technological decline since the war and are way wussier now than they were back then.

I also didn't like the hinting that there was going to be some sort of contrived magical "overall weakness" in all Wraith technology that would lead to their utter defeat once exploited "independance day" style. I wanted to hug that Wraith guy once it was revealed that he'd destroyed the information that would enable this wagon of depraved idiocy to get rolling.

Thank you Wraith guy with no name number 1993948. You're my hero of the day.

Comment

Can someomne tell me HOW in the world could you guys already have seen it???

Comment

It already aired in Canada.

Comment

I thought the U.S. got episodes first

Comment

While I actually enjoyed the episode in it's ownright I'll agree that it does raise some rather troubling questions about how exactly the Wraith ever managed to beat the Ancients.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread the best explanation used to be "the Ancients didn't have a real military/they were space hippies" but that explanation was completely destroyed by the Ancient ship here which looks more militarily professional than any Wraith one we've ever seen and it's supposed to be more advanced to boot.

The only explanation seems to be that the Wraith have gone into some sort of technological decline since the war and are way wussier now than they were back then.
                    You have to think about when the war actually started. This would have been the first real conflict that the Ancients would have faced for millions of years.

So they were obviously a good bit rusty. When Aurora was sent out Atlantis had already been under siege. That means that they had already been fighting for over 100 years. All this experience stood them in good sted, but unfortunately it was too late by that time.

Comment

Yes it was, It was stated that it was a Warship at the beginning of the ep. Also Joe Mallozzi said in his thread months ago that it was a Warship.

Comment

We all have a right to our opinion on here, but did you have to post it here, theres a thread already for it called "Episode Discussion", sorry but i had to make some light hearted remark after all the negative thoughts in here.

Comment

Originally posted by Erised
                          I thought the U.S. got episodes first
                          It only happened this once because SciFi choose to air two SG-1's last week when they normally would have shown "Aurora."
                          Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tfalls1
                            I agree the episode was really bad from a continuity standpoint..
                            SPOILERS

1. In SG1 "FROZEN" THEY ESTABLISH THAT THE ANCIENTS PHYSIOLOGY DOES NOT DIE OUT IN COLD AND SHE HAS NOT EVEN AGED SO WHY IN AN ANCIENT'S STASIS POD DO THE ANCIENTS GET SO OLD? AGAIN IN SG1 THE ANCIENTS, BY THE TIME THEY WERE UNDER SEIGE AND AURORA DEPARTED. SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN SOMETHAT ADVANCED HUMAN FORM AND SHOULD HAVE SOME TELEPATHIC POWERS, ESP, AND ADVANCED HEALTH. SO WHY DO THEY NEED "RAY GUNS" AND GET SO OLD SO QUICKLY. (10,000 YRS SHOULD NOT BE THAT LONG CONSIDERING IN FROZEN SHE WAS MILLIONS OF YEARS OLD).
                            2. WHY DO THE AURORA SECURITY GUARDS SEEM CLUELESS... ARE THEY NOT AS SMART AS THE OTHER LANTEANS (ALTERIANS). AND WHY SO MANY PUSH BUTTONS FOR CONTROLS WHEN 4 MILLION YEARS BEFORE AS THEY LEFT EARTH'S OUTPOST THEY HAD ALREADY DEVELOPED THE THOUGHT CONTROL CHAIR WITH NO NEED FOR SILLY STAR TREK CONSOLES.

3. OVERALL I FEEL THE TECHNOLOGY AND ABILITIES OF THE ANCIENTS IN STARGATE ATLANTIS HAVE BEEN DRASTICALLY "DUMBED DOWN" COMPAIRED TO HOW THE ANCIENTS WERE PORTRAYED IN SG1 SEASONS 1-8. I JUST FEEL LIKE TPTB ARE NO LONGER PAYING ATTENTION TO DETAILS
                            it wasnt the cold the statis slows the heartbeat but the body continues to age but very slowly advanced humans neednt look any different and even with telepathy u still need hand weapons i really enjoyed this episode stop moaning just for the sake of it

Comment

Just saw the ep last nite. Good story.

But, boy! Did Atlantis luck out or what? They are going to have to investigate every blip that shows up on their new long range sensors. The Wraith will have certainly learned from this last failure.

So, 10,000 years ago the Lanteans discovered a fatal flaw in Wraith tech. Are we to believe that same flaw still exists today? Personally I wish they hadn't gone that route. It makes zero sense, to me. It's like having some caveman from 10,000 years ago saved out of an iceburg to tell us that there is a fatal flaw in our mastadon hunting methods.

To quote a famous response often uttered by characters in those ludicrously implausible SF B-movies, "Oh well...." <shrug>

I quite enjoyed Teyla again. I love how she handled MacKay - talk about laugh! That was priceless!

I'm happy to see that Weir is still off balance with Dex. That's cute and it helps highlight that not everyone thinks in the same way and the misunderstandings that can arise from that. There's good potential to see this sort of misunderstanding happen on a bigger, more dramatic scale: Weir gives a direct order and Dex obediently does the exact opposite, simply because he understands the wording differently.

Had the crew of the Aurora been concious the entire 10,000 years or did the Wraith awaken them?

No doubt this and many other questions will be answered for me as I read through everybody's posts. ")
                              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                                Just saw the ep last nite. Good story.

But, boy! Did Atlantis luck out or what? They are going to have to investigate every blip that shows up on their new long range sensors. The Wraith will have certainly learned from this last failure.

So, 10,000 years ago the Lanteans discovered a fatal flaw in Wraith tech. Are we to believe that same flaw still exists today? Personally I wish they hadn't gone that route. It makes zero sense, to me. It's like having some caveman from 10,000 years ago saved out of an iceburg to tell us that there is a fatal flaw in our mastadon hunting methods.

To quote a famous response often uttered by characters in those ludicrously implausible SF B-movies, "Oh well...." <shrug>

I quite enjoyed Teyla again. I love how she handled MacKay - talk about laugh! That was priceless!

I'm happy to see that Weir is still off balance with Dex. That's cute and it helps highlight that not everyone thinks in the same way and the misunderstandings that can arise from that. There's good potential to see this sort of misunderstanding happen on a bigger, more dramatic scale: Weir gives a direct order and Dex obediently does the exact opposite, simply because he understands the wording differently.

Had the crew of the Aurora been concious the entire 10,000 years or did the Wraith awaken them?

No doubt this and many other questions will be answered for me as I read through everybody's posts. ")

but the wraith may never have found out about the weakness so if they didnt now then how could they compensate for it and u hav to remekmber theyve been in hibernation much of that time

Comment

Working...
                                X