Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tangent (412)

Stargate Tangent (412)

Visit the Episode GuideDISCUSS ...
    TANGENT
    EPISODE NUMBER - 412

A test gone wrong leaves Jack and Teal'c marooned in space aboard a damaged prototype attack ship.

Visit the Episode Guide >>
    Last edited by Darren; January 24th, 2007 at 07:33 PM.

Earth Symbol Tangent's made-up physics

Okay, humans cannot survive in a vacuum completely unharmed. Maybe Jaffa, sure, but not Jack. Even if he was alive when they brought him aboard with the ring transporter, he'd be in critical need of medical care. It wouldn't just be "ow, my head hurts." I do believe Jack could survive, but not without intensive care.

Does anyone have any contradicting information that won't make me lose faith in SG-1's scientific advisors?

Default Re: Tangent (412)

there weren't in a vacuum they had they air that was in cockpit with them. I don't know if thats a credible exuse though. If not weill Plot device, Mr Majar Tyler. plot device.

Banner By JME2

Default Re: Tangent's made-up physics

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tyler
    Does anyone have any contradicting information that won't make me lose faith in SG-1's scientific advisors?
    Go with the 'plot device' routine... it saves you lots of headaches

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

First Lieutenant KorbenDirewolf's Avatar

Its as much a plot device as the existance of the DHD in Children of the Gods.
    The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

http://home.graffiti.net/kdiw/indiv.jpg

Chief Master Sergeant angsty_otaku's Avatar

they wouldn't want to end an episode with the need to have jack seek immediate medical attention. why not end the episode with a nice ribbon eh? but hey...it was a good ep...good jack/teal'c interaction and good sam/jacob interaction...with daniel's lovely goa'uld speaking skills :-D plus another bonus was major davis !

Quote Originally Posted by angsty_otaku
    daniel's lovely goa'uld speaking skills :-D

love the "great and powerful Oz," line!!

Quote Originally Posted by Major Clanger
    Go with the 'plot device' routine... it saves you lots of headaches

I prefer to call it, 'Suspension of disbelief.'
    Don't green it unless you mean it.

Re: Tangent (412)

Indeed it was an interesting yet funny episode, from Jack an Sam being covertly updated to the return of the Wizard of Oz quotes. I really liked it when Jack was suffering from anoxia >>>Jacob is that you, did you know your ships bigger than ours; funny stuff

Staff Sergeant

Well, this episode gives proof positive that the the Tok'ra are a bunch of— big meanies.

Jolinar's Memories
    Tok'ra: "One of our agents has vital information that we must retrieve, but he's been captured by Sokar and placed in an prison where no escape is possible. We want you to go in, find out that information, and maybe try to find a way home. By the way, the agent is Sam's dad."

SGC: "When do we leave?"

Tangent
    SGC: "Our top field commander and the figurehead leader of the Jaffa rebellion are stuck in a broken-down Death Glider. Could you guys spare a day and send a shuttle over to rescue them?"

Tok'ra: "Screw you. Though we have an agent who can do that, we can't be bothered by such an errand."

No wonder Jack hates them so much— with the exception of Jacob and Selmak, who did find time to save the day.

First Lieutenant KorbenDirewolf's Avatar

I'm not saying I think the Tok'ra are all bad.. But this is yet another one of the points. I think that the relationship between the Tauri and the Tok'ra should be minimalized to the extreme. They shouldn't go to us for assitance and we shouldn't go to them. Although, I would like to point out that a Tok'ra did supply Carter and Jackson with enough information to locate Selmak.
    The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

http://home.graffiti.net/kdiw/indiv.jpg

A ggod ep., with lots of cool FX.

Hmmmm, CGI! (drools)
    http://forum.gateworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=29235&d=1297874202

Lieutenant Colonel Elwe Singollo's Avatar

I liked this episode as well, no real enemies really, haha... Cocky airforce

Selmak had a good point... not to tamper with things you don't understand.

The USAF was taking the easy way out... just fix it and slap a USAF sticker on it.

Staff Sergeant

I do believe that Jacob and Selmak were complacent from the knowledge that Earth was a Protected Planet under the Asgaard treaty. They would have believed Earth was safe under the umbrella and was free to progress their technology at a more conservative rate.

If Jacob and Selmak had known the truth, that the Protected Planets Treaty was a sham on part of the Asgaard and that the fleet was not able to defend all worlds under its care, they would have altered their perspective and been more understanding of Earth's desperate need to muster some form of defense.

Thumbs up Re: Tangent (412)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhydderch Hael
    I do believe that Jacob and Selmak were complacent from the knowledge that Earth was a Protected Planet under the Asgaard treaty. They would have believed Earth was safe under the umbrella and was free to progress their technology at a more conservative rate.

If Jacob and Selmak had known the truth, that the Protected Planets Treaty was a sham on part of the Asgaard and that the fleet was not able to defend all worlds under its care, they would have altered their perspective and been more understanding of Earth's desperate need to muster some form of defense.
    Good point. I must admit I hadn't even thought of that.

[QUOTE=Rhydderch Hael]
    Well, this episode gives proof positive that the the Tok'ra are a bunch of— big meanies.

<sigh> That's sooooo not what the dialogue suggests in either of these eps.

Jolinar's Memories
    Tok'ra: "One of our agents has vital information that we must retrieve, but he's been captured by Sokar and placed in an prison where no escape is possible. We want you to go in, find out that information, and maybe try to find a way home. By the way, the agent is Sam's dad."
    The only reason the Tok'Ra went to Sam was because she had been blended with the one and only operative that had ever escaped Sokar's inescapable prison. Martouf explained all to them, in detail - despite what Jack kept ragging on about - and told them it might be a one-way ticket to Hell.

The SGC agreed to go, they were not coerced. They happened to believe that Sokar was enough of a threat for Earth to get involved with the operation. They could have limited their participation to getting the info out of Sam's mind and sending Martouf on his merry way. They chose do go further. When Sam appeared unable to retrieve the memories of how Jolinar escaped, Martouf decided to go down alone. He never wanted to sacrifice SG-1 and it was Jack who told him there was no way Marty was going down without them.

Tangent
    SGC: "Our top field commander and the figurehead leader of the Jaffa rebellion are stuck in a broken-down Death Glider. Could you guys spare a day and send a shuttle over to rescue them?"

Tok'ra: "Screw you. Though we have an agent who can do that, we can't be bothered by such an errand."
    Funny, I didn't see "Screw you," in the dialogue.

They "couldn't be bothered" because at the time their only tel'tac within reach of Jack&Teal'c was on a mission of some great importance. Once that mission was completed, they said they'd be glad to help. How is this a "screw you" thing?

Here's how the dialogue actually went:

DANIEL: I spoke with Anise personally. She said they had a scout ship within a day or so of Earth. Barely. But it's on a covert mission to a Goa'uld-occupied world, and the High Council doesn't want to expose the operative by making contact.

DAVIS: Then, why would they bother to tell you that much?

DANIEL: They hope that the operative will complete the mission and report back in time to help Jack and Teal'C.

GH: I assume Anise refused to say where & what this covert mission was.

DANIEL: And to understand not wanting to jeopardize the life of a Tok'Ra important to BOTH of us. I mean , I sort of lost my temper, but she said she was doing us a favor, by telling us as much as she did.

SAM: Maybe she was! I mean, we know a scout ship's maximum speed from our mission to Netu. We also know it's a Goa'Uld-occupied world relatively close to Earth, so...

The Tok'Ra are allies not waiters or servants, at the SGC's beck and call 24/7.

Sheesh!
    Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

That's completely right!

Re: Tangent's made-up physics

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tyler
    Okay, humans cannot survive in a vacuum completely unharmed. Maybe Jaffa, sure, but not Jack. Even if he was alive when they brought him aboard with the ring transporter, he'd be in critical need of medical care. It wouldn't just be "ow, my head hurts." I do believe Jack could survive, but not without intensive care.

my husband says that his eardrums would have shattered and his eyes would have boiled.

Also, my hubby the physicist says that going 1 million mph would be too slow to get to Jupiter in that amount of time. They would have needed 10 to 15 times the speed and then they would have been going too fast to use Jupiter for any purpose let alone a sling shot.
    Causality should not be taken lightly.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast