This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG-1's Iris or Atlantis' Shield?

which protective gate device do you like better? the iris or the shield?
    "A general is only as good as the people he commands."

ok fine i guess ill start... i think i would prefer the iris as it does not really rely on energy and the shield could fail at almost any time... there my though...
    "A general is only as good as the people he commands."

Comment

That's pretty much what I was gonna say. But then... the Tollans and other advanced races had ways around it. The energy Shield could potentially be keyed to specific individuals. Maybe.

Comment

I agree, the Iris is a lot better since it doesn't rely on a constant supply of power. Plus it looks so cool when they close it and it does that cool sliding noise.

Comment

But as the Tollans and Sokar, and even Anubis proved, the Iris isn't foolproof. It can be breached and moved and destroyed and even remotely activated.

The shield, on the other hand, is more or less immune to most if not all of those tactics. Plus it can activate much faster than the Iris closes.
          sigpic
          http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Hmmm...SG-1's iris?

Or SGA's sheild?

I think I may like the iris more. It just looks so much cooler.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
            Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Macharius0
              I agree, the Iris is a lot better since it doesn't rely on a constant supply of power. Plus it looks so cool when they close it and it does that cool sliding noise.
              I beg to differ, as some form of energy is required to operate the iris. So if there is a power failure and a back-up failure, I don't think it can be operated manually, at least, I've never seen it done. Also, as previously stated, several alien races had ways to circumvent the iris, so I vote for the Atlantean shield.

BTW, did you know the iris is constantly in place on the Gate and the opening and closing is all CGI? So when you go on the set, you can't walk thru the SGC gate, but you can walk thru the Atlantean gate. Sorry, just a bit of trivia.

On fighting:
              Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
              Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                I beg to differ, as some form of energy is required to operate the iris. So if there is a power failure and a back-up failure, I don't think it can be operated manually, at least, I've never seen it done. Also, as previously stated, several alien races had ways to circumvent the iris, so I vote for the Atlantean shield.

BTW, did you know the iris is constantly in place on the Gate and the opening and closing is all CGI? So when you go on the set, you can't walk thru the SGC gate, but you can walk thru the Atlantean gate. Sorry, just a bit of trivia.

no the iris does have a manual control. in "Lost City" part 2 they talk about it when the base looses power and again in "Zero Hour" i believe it is mentioned

Comment

Overall I'd say that the SGA "shield" is more effective, but aesthetically the iris wins.
                  Remixed old sig...cause I wanted the pretty again!
                  :.*.:My Live Journal:.*.:

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                    no the iris does have a manual control. in "Lost City" part 2 they talk about it when the base looses power and again in "Zero Hour" i believe it is mentioned
                    Sorry, I couldn't find the discussion of the manual control of the iris in Lost City, part 2. Are you certain of this???? I'll look again.
                    On fighting:

Comment

When they lose power, Weir tells them "manuel iris control, now!" or something like that. I think the iris is a bit more practical for this reason in theory (I have no idea how likely Ancient tech would have a power failure) but actually I think the atlantis shield looks cooler. But the iris has that cool spinny thing when it opens and shuts and a much cooler sound effect.
                      And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
                      Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                      Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                      Daniel: Oh! You see?
                      Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                        Sorry, I couldn't find the discussion of the manual control of the iris in Lost City, part 2. Are you certain of this???? I'll look again.
                        when weir and kinsey are in the gate room and kinsey is chickening out and trying to get to the alpha site they lose all power and weir asks if manual control for the iris is still functioning and then orders them to use it to shut the iris.

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                          when weir and kinsey are in the gate room and kinsey is chickening out and trying to get to the alpha site they lose all power and weir asks if manual control for the iris is still functioning and then orders them to use it to shut the iris.

Thank you all for correcting me, I did finally find the line.
                          On fighting:

Comment

there iris is just cooler and it makes that cool sounds when it opens and closes i wish i had that sound on my compter

Comment

I like the Iris because I'm much more comfortable knowing that there is a physical barrier between me and the evilness on the other side. That being said, I would imagine that the Gate Shield is tied into the Stargate's power system, which would mean that as long as power is getting to the gate, it would get to the shield. If there is a massive power failure enough to knock out the gate's power, you wouldn't need the shield anyway because the gate would be off.

The ideal situation would be to have both...use the shield routinely, and have the physical iris as a backup.
                              Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Working...
                              X