It wasn't about Young, it was about Rush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Swarm View Post
    Actualy you can change the destination of the ship as you can see in the mid season finale,
    Spoiler:
    where Rush finds a signal emanateing from a spaceship graveyard.
    Yeah, that's not completely wrong. But it's not what I meant by saying that the "new Crew won't be able to change the ships Destination". I though more of e.g. bringing Destiny back to earth, and by that end her journey, and therefore end her mission.

Spoiler:
    A change in course within a galaxy does not automatically mean to change the mission at all, or change the course that much that it won't be possible to get back to it.
    sigpic

Comment

I don't agree with the OP, it was testing Young
      sigpic

Comment

By now its clear that Destiny has a pretty interresting AI, which might be just Franklin, but lets focus on the fact that Destiny probably didnt have a bad reason for doing what it did. Rush however, gave the Drunk guy his command back with even more power then before, while he still is a ticking timebomb and everybody thinks Destiny chose him as Commander/VIP and will keep listening to him.

IMO, the Visions where supposed to tell Young that no action he takes can save them from what comes and wouldn´t go further while he has the command. I am not sure if Destiny would have accepted Scott, but Young definatly is a Security risk. (supposing Destiny knows what a Drunk guy is)
        Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
        Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
        There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

the simulations showed his weakness. he only anticipated the obvious and responded predictably. Scott, interestingly, in ONE SHOT corrected ALL his mistakes in the real deal.

Young's mistakes:
          -in the first go, he believes he can outgun 7 Blue ships, even though we already know 1 can take quite a pounding and 3 can overcome the shield if weapons are powered. an unprecedented 7 would do far more damange. weapons were a silly choice

-in the second go, he goes all shieds. a safe bet. but if they can send 3 ships after an intergalactic ship for capturing purposes, how many more would they have to protect their space? i mean, it's like us sending the entire 304 fleet after, say, Atlantis. it would be a safe bet that reinforcements would be close by. i mean, why even bother attacking if you know the enemy can withstand your attack in "turtle mode".

-in the third go, he made the mistake that Chloe obviously knows a lot about Destiny now. she could've planted worms and trojans within destiny.

Scott corrects all of this by ordering weapons powered, non-essential systems powered down and the remaining power to the shield. also he puts up guard teams around the ship.

Young's decision to let Scott figure it out, however, was a correct one. Scott is good at making the right decision. but he obviously can't live with command. he'll always need a person one notch higher.

i loved how rush was ruled out as a commander. "for rush, it's not a burden"

(supposing Destiny knows what a Drunk guy is)
          a mere graph of decision versus effect would prove his command effectiveness. Destiny was simulating his behaviour and attempted to "calculate" what Young would do. while doing so, it decided the best thing to do was to suspend the mission and letting him sober up. get his priorities straight

Comment

Its funny how Rush found the overide at the moment Young Mans up. IMHO Rush went with Young instead of having no leader at all. On a side note the whole Chloe Scott over way to quick...

Currently Watching: SGU Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice

Rewatch: BSG, SGA, SG:1 Farscape, X files

Comment

The Swarm summed it up the way I see it: Destiny needs both Rush and Young. Rush because he wants to fulfill the mission and has the smarts to figure out how to run the ship, and Young because he can lead the crew, assuming that he can rise above his weaknesses. Neither one can do what he needs to do without the other, or without the other members of the crew.

ArchaeoNerd

Comment

in any case I think rush made a better impression on destiny than he has initially, he's not selfless (obviously, or he would have shared the bridge location) as such but he knows when to take a step back when it is rational and showed this both in propping up scott and in the end also young
                I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  the simulations showed his weakness. he only anticipated the obvious and responded predictably. Scott, interestingly, in ONE SHOT corrected ALL his mistakes in the real deal.

Scott corrects all of this by ordering weapons powered, non-essential systems powered down and the remaining power to the shield. also he puts up guard teams around the ship.

Young's decision to let Scott figure it out, however, was a correct one. Scott is good at making the right decision. but he obviously can't live with command. he'll always need a person one notch higher.

I Disagree, Scott Didn't correct anything.. One reason being the simulation had nothing to do with Scott, this was a pure reaction test of Young's mental state. I do agree the ship was waiting for him to come to grips with himself. Whether Rush rushed the process or not. Secondly, if Scott had been the next target of the simulation or in someway affect the outcome, he would have failed before it started by raising the shields AND powering weapons. The point of the simulation being how young will handle the no win scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by meo3000 View Post
                    A ship needs a captain
                    The Dutchman must have a captain!

...So that's why Chloe's turning into a fish-monster!
                    "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                    Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                    Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                    Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                    Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post

Young's decision to let Scott figure it out, however, was a correct one. Scott is good at making the right decision. but he obviously can't live with command. he'll always need a person one notch higher. ....
                      I won't see the ep so I'm commenting solely on your post.

I think one of the things that puts Young solidly ahead of Rush is that Young WILL have other people do things where I don't see Rush doing that. Part of being a leader is delegating, especially if someone under you is more than capable of doing something well, if not better than you.

damn, is it Friday yet?
                      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
                        in any case I think rush made a better impression on destiny than he has initially, he's not selfless (obviously, or he would have shared the bridge location) as such but he knows when to take a step back when it is rational and showed this both in propping up scott and in the end also young
                        This, I agree with.

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                        I think one of the things that puts Young solidly ahead of Rush is that Young WILL have other people do things where I don't see Rush doing that. Part of being a leader is delegating, especially if someone under you is more than capable of doing something well, if not better than you.
                        Well, considering Rush is the best to handle a ton of stuff, it's tough for him to delegate, when doing it himself would be the best person for the job, heh. And like Subversion showed, he's not above putting himself in harm's way if he is logically the best person for the job.

He's just arrogant and callous toward other people. ;p

Comment

More like lucky for Rush that he figured out how to override the simulation at the same time Young got it together. Now everyone will believe the ship started working again because Young finally pulled himself together, instead of asking awkward questions about how the ship was suddenly working again.
                          sigpic

Find your Destiny

Comment

I think it's just another of those I probably shouldn't have done that things that Rush does. The timing was purely coincidental IMO. And probably to Rush's dis-satisfaction. But at least we're not likely to go YAMS anytime soon. Yet Another Mutiny Scenario.

Comment

I don't see why he'd be too dissatisfied. He said outloud that he realized that Lt. Scott would not step up. Who else would he want in charge if not Scott? He doesn't seem to hate Young anymore...he's too caught up in his own crap to hate Young. Command is what it is. He may have preferred Lt. Scott, but he seems pretty resigned to Young now.
                              sigpic
                              Teal'c: "Appearances may be deceiving."
                              O'Neill: "One man's ceiling is another man's floor."
                              Daniel: "A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell."
                              O'Neill: "Never run with...scissors?"

Comment

The ship needs them both, it hasnt been trying to dissuade Rush from his actions but help him to notice more during his scheming.

Where as Young it kicked in the arse to get him to sac up.

They are the Yin and Yang of what Destiny needs, it needs the brute strength and tactical experience/genius he is reputed to possess and it needs the duplicitous actions of Rush in case either or fails, Young is the one who can keep the ship and the mission running smoothly, Rush is the one who can save the ship and the mission when normal tactics fail or are overcome.

N.C

Comment

Working...
                                X