This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trial And Error Review [SGU - 206]

By xxxevilgrinxxx | Published: November 7, 2010 | (crossposted at my personal blog)
    Look Deeper.
    SCOTT: Look, you’re right. I couldn’t do it; live with the burden every day. That is not me, or T.J., or Camille….For Rush, it wouldn’t be a burden. And that is why we need you - because you feel it; and not so much you can’t get up and do it all over again the next day….You know, a real leader, a good commander is not so callous that he stops caring; just enough that he can keep on going. We both know you are a good commander. It is never gonna stop hurtin’. That’s the whole point.
    Almost every science fiction show worth its salt will eventually produce an episode using the “groundhog day” scenario and Stargate Universe in no different in that regard. But just like the time loops and dream sequence episodes, SGU tackles this one beautifully.

Like all of the episodes before it, “Trial and Error” is multi-layered in its meaning. There is the forefront scenario with Col. Young and the scenes where he is run through the battle simulations by the program running on Destiny but there are others as well. There is the echo of trials and errors gone past, specifically the events of “Divided”, where we had the scenario of Wray and Rush and their failed attempt to gain control of Destiny. There is the relationship between Young, TJ and Emily Young, all of whom have definitely gone through a trial and many errors, the most recent on TJ’s part as she continues to try to impart her impressions about what has happened to their child, one of the many burdens on Young. Last but not least there is the trial, and error, that Rush continues to undergo at the hands of the Destiny’s manifestations.

First off, I have to say that I find it interesting that this trial is presaged by Young’s use of the stones. In “Sabotage”, stone use is also implicated in the sabotage of the ship that enabled the seemingly easy return of three lost characters – Eli, Chloe and Scott. In essence I believe that through the stones, the Destiny herself gained access to Young and was enable to perform this trial and that the same sort of thing happened in “Sabotage” and possibly even in “Space”.

The message that I came away with from Young’s experience is that, aside from the surface issue of testing his leadership in a mode that would speak to him – a battle scenario – the ship was teaching him something else: It’s not your fault. That failures happen and there’s only so much we can do about them. It was a “Kobayashi Maru” – an experience where failure is the lesson. Failure and the acceptance that comes along with knowing that it can’t be helped, that often times there is nothing that can be done but endure it, get up and move on, preferably without losing what you are in the process. In stopping the simulation short, the Destiny, through Franklin, may believe that Young is not truly ready, that he has never really faced the unwinnable scenario and may be unprepared for what is surely to come.

The battle scenario did highlight Young’s strengths and the reason why he makes a great commander. Very quickly into the sequence of events, Young appears to catch on to what is happening in regard to the scenario repeating and tackles the issue from several sides. Even when he believes that he might be insane for thinking it, he continues to adapt his strategy, even doing the thing he knows will hurt him the most – handing over Chloe – while he watches as events unfold. This highlights one of the character’s strengths – his ability to fly by the seat of his pants, to change as facts on the ground change, to adapt. That change often results in failure does not make it a bad thing. It also highlighted his ability to delegate and listen to those around him.

In Scott, an officer the Col. has taken under his wing, we see this training come out in one of the last battle scenarios as Scott counters with a combination of Col. Young’s previous attempts, save the handover of Chloe. An idealist, Scott is facing a “Kobayashi Maru” of his own, one that he admits he isn’t ready for, in that he couldn’t hand over Chloe if it came to that. This builds on the events of “Cloverdale” and the fight between the two has been something that has needed to happen for some time. Expected perfection is too much for anyone and the lesson for them both is acceptance.

As Young clears his head at the end and re-assumes command, there is hope that he has learned this and, in the fight between Young and Scott, there is hope that Scott has outgrown the need to put Young on a pedestal. If his acceptance of Young becomes more realistic, then perhaps Scott will outgrow his over-idealistic tendencies as well. In any case, in airing this grievance, an important point has been made: That Young is needed precisely because while he is able to make the choices that he makes, he cares deeply about the people involved and that he neither gives up nor loses that part of himself that makes him a good commander – that self same hurt. Scott, Wray, TJ and lastly Rush have in one way or another ruled themselves out, and they need Young.

Another character that impressed me greatly in this episode is Wray, who continues to grow in her own leadership potential as this story winds on. It would have been easy for her to, once Young had come to her with his fear that he was going insane, to present this to the rest of the crew as a way to take power. That she doesn’t do this but chooses to support and try to help Young through a difficult situation is to her credit. It’s also the first time that I have ever heard her refer to Young by his first name and I hope that this is a sign of growing friendship and trust. In this, that Young is willing to share with others, is a key to his leadership skills and with people like Wray beside him, I have great hope that the dissolution the character has been displaying can be turned around.

Lastly, there is another trial taking place, on the bridge of the ship. Rush has access and he may believe that he has full control of the Destiny but the Destiny has other ideas. The manifestation of Gloria is gone, leaving Franklin as the voice of the ship and with every word to Rush, the Destiny appears to have nothing but contempt for the person currently manning her bridge. Rush may well have managed to cut short the simulation but, as with many of my notions regarding the mercurial scientist, I wonder at his true motives. Did he simply fear that Scott, or Young for that matter, wouldn’t step up and that somehow the ship would be in danger or at the very least stuck? Or did he fear that continued simulations would solidify the leadership choice that appeared to be at hand? Did he fear that the Destiny may have supplanted him, if this choice was made?

In any case, in the eyes of the crew, the Destiny has chosen, and it has chosen Young. If nothing else, this should ease some of the weight that has been crushing Young and enable him to pull himself together and deal with the considerable issues that he has on his plate, including a much-needed talk to TJ, about what has happened to her, and their daughter, as well as the unresolved feelings there.

Any talk of this episode would be remiss if it didn’t mention Eli, Ginn and Greer. Eli and Ginn’s first kiss was simply sweet and, while I’m not entirely sure that Ginn’s motives are pure, it’s good to see Eli interacting with other people, especially women. Greer is as solid as ever and it furthers his role as the touchstone of the crew – the man who sees a lot more than he’s given credit for. As weighted as Young is by the past, as ever-hopeful about the future Scott appears to be, Greer is solidly in the present, existing in the moment, no matter what that moment may bring.

As for what that moment may bring, only the threat has been dropped, in the form of the Destiny’s warning, issued through Franklin. If this were standard episodic fare, it would be easy to be disappointed with a cliffhanger like that but threads dropped in one entry will carry on in another and I know that this is not done.

Rating: 9/10
    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by Misfits View Post
      Within that spirit, do you think Louis Ferreira and Brian J. Smith may get a nomination for their acting in this episode?
      Their scene in Young's quarters was pretty heavy.
      The hopefull and optimistic part of me thinks they will be recognised for that excellent scene. In fact, IMO LF should get an Emmy for that entire ep. AF also deserves some award for her acting in TAE, her scenes with Young were heartbreaking. Unfortunately the jaded and cynical part of me reminds me that sci-fi shows, and Stargate in particular, never get the praise and critical acclaim they deserve.

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
      Trial And Error Review [SGU - 206]
      Wonderfull review as always evilgrin! I loved reading it. My favourite part is, unsurprisingly, this:

Greer is as solid as ever and it furthers his role as the touchstone of the crew – the man who sees a lot more than he’s given credit for. As weighted as Young is by the past, as ever-hopeful about the future Scott appears to be, Greer is solidly in the present, existing in the moment, no matter what that moment may bring.
      Beautifully stated.

Once again I can offer only my praise in lieu of greens.
      There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
      sigpic
      awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
        Wonderfull review as always evilgrin! I loved reading it. My favourite part is, unsurprisingly, this:

Beautifully stated.

Once again I can offer only my praise in lieu of greens.
        thank you muchly!
        *noms on praise and lieu de green *
        sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          I don't watch anymore so i can't comment

but perhaps others here can.

what do you guys think?
          it's certainly award worthy i reckon, like looking back at season 1 and some of the secondary characters got awards for their acting, just depends on the competition i guess, and i dont watch enough shows to know what the potential competition is at the moment. it was a very amazing moment between scott and young, but to an outside viewer maybe it didnt pack as much punch to someone who isnt a regular viewer. i think the moment really required context. as a regular viewer of the show i was really pleased to finally see something in scott that i liked, up until now i've been looking at him and chloe as the plastic prince and princess of destiny, but with chloes infection, and what scott said to pick young up, now i'm respecting them a bit more. louis never ceases to be a great actor for the show imo. the moment was touching, and while it's award worthy i dont think it will get any nominations because it's (imo) only able to be (award worthy) powerful to regular viewers.

Comment

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. I was in the field and missed the ep. AFN doesn't repeat it the week of or the week after. So i missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow_7 View Post
              I fully expect Rush to still be sitting in the chair (pre-LOST) by the end of the season.
              This explains so much!

Oh, you mean the episode Lost.
              "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
              Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
              Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
              Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
              Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
                This explains so much!

Oh, you mean the episode Lost.
                Well to be fair, this weeks syndicated episode was TIME. So 3x episodes in a row now of things that never actually happened. One more day to find out if it's 4x.

Comment

1. Yeah, very WOO to a large extent.

2. Scott has said all that needs to be said about Rush. If you were on the other side of the universe at the mercy of with someone like that, you'd be in trouble.

3. Chloe, well it was going to happen sooner or later - but having Scott recover quickly was 'slightly' deus ex machina.

4. Rush has dodged a bullet, again. By the sounds of it though, karma next week will be very sweet.

Good stuff!
                  I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                    Awesome episode!
                    It was definitely up there (finally saw it this morning on You tube).. but i would not put it as being one of the best

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                    Missed the first half. Have to catch the repeat. Second half was pretty good, though. You tell em, Scott!
                    For the first time since Air,, i actually LOVED scott's role in this ep.

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                    You gotta admit, Destiny having the ability to play with Young's dreams lends credence to Rush not being crazy. Maybe the ship is pissed he got control and is making Franklin and Gloria in an attempt to keep him on track.
                    My only question is HOW it is in his brain? We know Rush has sat in the chair and therefore could have made a mental link. Young has not. Also Rush has spent a lot of time on the bridge, keeping him in close proximity to the area those 'visions' come up.

Originally posted by Stargater276 View Post
                    Great episode. Rush just made Young look like the best choice to command the mission.
                    He did kind of shoot himself in the foot, both with that choice, and how both brody and young now seem to know he is NOT being truthful on his locations.. Which keyed into how young wanted to 'spy' on Rush in the greater good

Originally posted by ns2 View Post
                    Now we def know that Destiny was playing with TJ
                    but was it? I never got that feeling.
                    Everything young experienced was ON the ship. Nothing off, like with TJ

Originally posted by BRiDGELiFE View Post
                    I'm Loving it!! Way to go Writers...... Now Stay on Track!!

I so wanna read what Brad Wright said in that press release/interview about the rest of the season, but i wont due to spoilers Either Way this Episode Was Awesome!!
                    Can you pm it?

Originally posted by Smooth View Post
                    Definitely, without a doubt, my favorite episode of the entire series.

The Destiny messing with Youngs brain. His alcohol problem addressed. Scott, who I normally hate, was great. Eli-Greer buddying up. The different battle scenarios were awesome. Ginn, Ginn, Ginn..... *drool*
                    it was funny seeing Greer who usually seemed to be cold towards Eli be so 'thoughtful'..

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    I'm not really sure if this filler or arc related. It doesn't really advance any of the stories. Maybe if we call the exploration of Destiny an arc then this is an arc episode. Anyway that is besides the point.
                    To me it was most definitely NOT a filler ep. That the ship has the capacity to link into your dreams/brain is imo linked to the chair control, and maybe even the kino's.

This is serves as two things. It shows a conclusion or re-examination of something that has been ongoing since probably Justice. The downward spiral of Young having to do some ambigous acts. I usually supported Young so in this one I have to agree with Scott in this in that these violent acts never get better but sometimes you have to do them for the better of the ship.
                    I loved it when scott manned up and told Young what for. And he did it in a way that actually got through to him.

As for the B plot of Eli and Ginn I kind of life. It was not too cliche (okay a little) but the part of them flirting and Eli uncertain of what to do seemed relastic to me. Coupled on Ginn seeing Eli's emotional scene about his mother I can believe what happened between the two. So overall while a little cliche it was not too bad a ship development
                    Whether it was watching it via you Tube, but i could have sworn i saw Ginn brought to a tear in her right eye, while she was watching the vid clip.

Originally posted by SSJPabs View Post
                    It seems kind of odd that Young would suddenly be able to pull out of his downward spiral because of just this. Like a snap of the fingers and then he's better.
                    Judging by how he was in the Greater good, he still is not out of the woods yet.. but the path to redemption has started at least.

Originally posted by SSJPabs View Post
                    But alcoholism is a physical disease. It's possible to go to cold turkey, but it's not common. Young is always going to have that risk again.
                    And with Brody's still being the only source of 'recreation' there it seems, that is going to be a point of contention.

Originally posted by Stargater276 View Post
                    Does anyone else think it's entirely possible that TJ's dream was just a scenario generated by the Destiny in order to keep her from completely falling apart since she is necessary to the mission?
                    While i admit it is possible, i find it unlikely as unlike Young's dreams, hers DID involve off world stuff, which imo the ship would not have had access too (the planet).

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                    Destiny - Supposed to pre-date Atlantis. The city didn't have any sort of AI, so why does Destiny have one? They are building this ship up to be something mystical, but there is no reason why it should be; unless it's encountered something along it's route that might account for that. My only guess at this stage, is the Faith aliens; they've become of Destiny and it's mission, and now the crew, and are following along in an attempt to understand the humans. At this stage, that's the only explanation I can offer, otherwise none of this makes sense.
                    While i will give you Atlantis did not have an AI we knew of, that Franklin disapeared into the ship (from many points of view) to me is a key to why it is now having one on the destiny. Also i do like your idea that the "destiny aliens" are helping out a little...

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                    Scott - Had the perfect opportunity to step up, and logically speaking, he was coming across as the better choice. He didn't want the burden? Well, neither did Young. Even generals need time off, so it might have been a good idea for Scott to at least assume command temporarily to give Young some time to recover. Sad to see that didn't happen. Here's a hint, Scott: You've got no business telling someone they must command, when you acknowledge yourself that you don't want to. It's hypocritical. In the chain of command, a lower officer must be prepared to assume command if need be, and Scott just showed cowardice, while trying to talk Young out of his.
                    That he was not willig to step up himself, is a slam against him (and with him being a O3 he should already be willing to do he should damn well know it), that he was right in that a leader needs to feel the burdens, and not just let them go, was spot on.

Originally posted by Vapor View Post
                    In the end, Rush sits talking to "Franklin," and the events of the episode force me to wonder if whoever it is that Rush is speaking with has any connection to the scenario Young was facing. But the line that leaves the greatest impression is when he says "Ultimately, I control Destiny." He says this immediately after it's established how much Young has won back some support from the crew.
                    Part of me thinks he said it i that manner more as a 'spruce up' for his own ego' since young DID get a vote of confidence from teh crew (and even in a way Franklin) but also to show it was he who was the only one with the master code.

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                    The people questioning why Atlantis didn't have an AI like destiny, simple answer is that it didn't need it. Destiny is required to make its way alone for a long time, encountering different scenarios on it own and having to figure them out. Add to this that destiny has a mission it needs to complete gives all the more reason for having an AI, an AI that thinks of the best way to complete its mission. Now as for Atlantis, Atlantis was just a city that could fly, it had no mission, it wasn't on a journey, it was simply a home, there's no need for an AI such as destiny's.
                    Plus Atlantis always had a crew... Destiny seems to have been made for long term self operations.

Has anybody contemplated that the data exchange with the Seeder Ship may have expanded the Destiny AI?
                    Until 'Awakening' Destiny AI was in a supportive mode. Helping out the crew.
                    After wards, it's more active in it's interaction with the crew.
                    Well we have how many sci fi shows/movies based on the premise that a computer systm given enough info/intel/capacity to process data, will eventually become self aware... So since the ship is
                    Spoiler:
                    gathering data related to that "Message" in the subspace static
                    maybe that has eventually led to the point that the ship is is awakening up.

Rush is like Destiny's father. He has more control then strangers but no one controls Destiny but Destiny
                    That is an interesting analogy. Young and the others seem tto want to leave destiny to it's own devices (like many parents eventually do), but rush is the only one who wants to stay the course and see it through to the end like some other parents.

Well, this is long. So pause.. continued next post with page 6 on.

Comment

You have to remember that it was Ginn that shot Dannic and surrendered. And she has been cooperating with Stargate Command. And Greer was present when Ginn was telling Wray in the interview in 'Aftermath' Obviously, all these things add up very well in her favor.
                      True. That and i wonder if he might feel a little sorry for him after the Scott/chloe incident.. Since he DOES know how much Eli felt for chloe.

I was under the impression that this was Stargate Universe we were talking about. Where different consciousness resides in the same brain, as has been showcased many times.
                      Regardless, something is in Cloe's brain. Shes seen scanning Console, attempting to open suitcases, writing alien language in her diary, etc..., all of which she has no recollection.
                      We know from Lifeboat, that daniel's other consiousness did not remember anything about the others..

Originally posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
                      I got news for Rush.

I don't think he's in control of the Destiny as he'd like to think he is.

First of all, the military support Young. If it came to a head the military would win out.
                      While that is true, do any of them know the command code?

Originally posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
                      And I wish they'd learn that and learn how to overcome their petty differences and start actually working together instead of trying to tear everyone apart.
                      We don't have much longer to wait till that happenns.. See next weeks (well this weeks now) episode!

Big props up to Camille, who shows her human side a lot this season. Her offer to help Young - made in private, so as not to undermine his authority further - and her sound judgement when she later tried to convince Scott to take command were things I'm slowly coming to count on and expect from her. Great change since season 1.
                      With how she did things, it makes me wonder if she has given up her desires to be in control that she showed in divided..

Originally posted by myhelix View Post

Only complain is that the part with the smurfs was, again, not real.
                      That is true. BUT this time we got to see more of them than the last (tick induced) vision.

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                      My first crazy theory was that maybe the chair does actually work, and since Rush sat in it before any outward symptoms could show (unlike Chloe), he got cured. But I think it'll never be explained, and we'll just shrug it off and say the tracking device was Rush's gift, while Chloe gets to become the new queen of Blue Alien Ville.
                      That is an interestin Possibility there. Rush has sat in the chair, and done so for a heck of a lot longer time than chloe did (what less than 10 seconds)..

>Scott sacrificing himself to save the others, then preparing himself before getting spaced. Nice. Very Harry Kim.
                      I would put it more to being close to a Harry Stamper... But kim was also in a tv show vice a film.. so i get the link.

For me at least the jury is still out on the swarm. I never could decide if they were intelligent on some level and empathic or telepathic or merely a lower life form practicing mimicing behavior.
                      It reacted the same way the NTI did in the Abyss and that was the 'conduit for the aliens down there... So who knows. it repaid scott's kindness in Air, so to me that shows some conscious thought.

Within that spirit, do you think Louis Ferreira and Brian J. Smith may get a nomination for their acting in this episode?
                      Their scene in Young's quarters was pretty heavy.
                      While i hop so as well, we have not had much luck with any of the SG shows getting awards other than up in canada.

Well.. done up to page 12..

Comment

Love this episode, it was amazing and definitely a relief after the Cloverdale fiasco. It was very entertaining and for once not slow. Love the action, the Young parts were just amazing. Love also Green's interaction with Eli about Ginn. And definitely love to learn more about Destiny. Looking forward to the next one.
                        They hit us with guns, bazookas, tear gas, tanks, APVs, helicopters, rockets. I'm pretty sure at least one of them used really harsh language.
                        --Markus--

Comment

Good ep, 100 times better than last weeks episode. Seeing Young's downward spiral was interesting, he needed a good kick up the bahookie and Scott duly delivered. I liked Scott this week. But IMO they need Young on the ball and in charge. Who else could be the leader and do the necessary things. Wray? I don't trust her. Rush? Well I think he's got his own agenda. Scott? I don't think he's ready yet, he's not mature enough yet IMO. But it was good to see Young get a grip of things at the end of the ep.

I liked the Eli/Ginn scenes. Who would have thought Greer would turn into a matchmaker. Maybe he's a romantic at heart I think Eli deserves to have someone in his life who cares about him as much as he cares about them, maybe now he can forget about Chloe. Well not forget seeing as they're stuck on a ship but move on. Ginn can help him move on They do look sweet together. I just hope she's not using him. But from what I've seen of Ginn I get the impression that she's not a bad person at heart. Maybe we'll finally get a good ship in Stargate after all the years of them trying One can hope, right?
                          sigpic

Comment

Loved the episode! Definitely one of my favorites. I really like Ginn now, its good to see Eli having some happiness for himself. I loved seeing the Destiny explode....twice. It looked great! There is definitely more going on with Destiny than I thought.

Comment

And if nothing else, eli's little tryst with Ginn at least lost him his virginity!

Comment

here a comment of Andy Mikita about one scene of this episode
                                Grimm returns October 24
                                sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
                                Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

Working...
                                X