Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Atlantis even exist in the SGU-verse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you're all taking the OP's hyperbole as literal

To address the original point, though....in SG1 Woolsey was essentially just your typical short-sighted bureaucrat stereotype, there to make SG1's life miserable, and McKay was the dismissive genius who thought he was better than everyone. I think Woolsey in this episode was much more of the canny, pragmatic diplomat that he became in SGA.

McKay didnt change quite so much in SGA, but I think the SG1 McKay would have behaved more like Rush did at first, being completely dismissive of Eli and not deigning to explain his idea to a mere kid, or have that other conversation they were having. I think maybe its just the citrus joke that makes him seem more like SG1 Rodney

Comment

Originally posted by droid327 View Post
      I think you're all taking the OP's hyperbole as literal

To address the original point, though....in SG1 Woolsey was essentially just your typical short-sighted bureaucrat stereotype, there to make SG1's life miserable, and McKay was the dismissive genius who thought he was better than everyone. I think Woolsey in this episode was much more of the canny, pragmatic diplomat that he became in SGA.

McKay didnt change quite so much in SGA, but I think the SG1 McKay would have behaved more like Rush did at first, being completely dismissive of Eli and not deigning to explain his idea to a mere kid, or have that other conversation they were having. I think maybe its just the citrus joke that makes him seem more like SG1 Rodney
      The citrus joke was bigger in SGA than it was in SG1

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
        The citrus joke was bigger in SGA than it was in SG1
        I thought it was bigger in SG1, as S10 even had Shep giving a lemon to Mitchell (I think) in order to be used as a motivator. SGA never did that.

Speaking of Rodney, I didn't like how he decided to stare at Lt James. Yes it's classic Rodney, and it's also a nice reference to a McKay comment made in an earlier SGU episode but I had hoped they'd have expanded McKay a bit due to his relationship with Keller (must admit, I was looking for a wedding ring).

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blazingfire View Post
          Sheppard would still continue to exist as a Major if SGA never happened.
          He would, but he'd have likely never met McKay.

Comment

Sheppard wouldn't even be in the SGC if not for Atlantis.

Comment

I imagine that with Atlantis on Earth, both McKay and Woolsey resumed their previous Atlantis duties.

They have probably begun dismantling Atlantis and incorporating it throughout Earth.

But I admit, it is a bit odd seeing McKay back in civilian clothes.

Comment

Dismantle Atlantis? That would be the single dumbest act they could ever do. It's a Manhattan-sized starship and the most powerful weapons platform in existence. Not only would dismantling it be practically impossible in any reasonable time frame, to do so would rob Earth of one of its greatest resources.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                  Dismantle Atlantis? That would be the single dumbest act they could ever do. It's a Manhattan-sized starship and the most powerful weapons platform in existence. Not only would dismantling it be practically impossible in any reasonable time frame, to do so would rob Earth of one of its greatest resources.
                  Of course they'd leave the weapons facility largely intact whilst the Lucian Alliance is still out. Though I'm not sure if Atlantis could protect the entire surface of Earth from a Lucian Alliance attack. When it was just Atlantis it was fine, since the planet they were on wasn't vital, but now that Atlantis is on Earth, it has the responsibility of defending the entire planet of billions of people not just the city. I'm sure that the Alliance could pinpoint a place on Earth that Atlantis wouldn't be best to defend and exploit it, especially if they attacked whilst Atlantis was still in San Fransisco bay and not mobile around Earth.

I just imagine that they'd start integrating the technology from Atlantis into various outposts on Earth, in order to defend the entire planet. Or even start to get some of the medical technologies off Atlantis and find Earth or off world applications for it. I just doubt that Atlantis would have remained completely intact after landing on Earth without some of it's technology salvaged and in the process of being distributed elsewhere for further study and use.

Anyways, I don't think I said that they would have finished incorporating Atlantis' technology by now, just that they would have begun to.

Comment

That would still be stupid. As soon as they start dismantling the ship, it has to be shut off. Shut off means it isn't going to be able to do anything if the Alliance attacks. Atlantis has a full database of its technologies, which they can read and duplicate themselves without sacrificing a valuable military asset. Simply put, they would never, in a thousand years, disassemble a technological marvel like Atlantis. To do so would be a violation of common sense on the highest order.

The ship does not have to be disassembled to defend the planet, either. Drones can circle the planet, and Atlantis is a spaceship. They could park it in orbit if they though an attack was coming.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                      That would still be stupid. As soon as they start dismantling the ship, it has to be shut off. Shut off means it isn't going to be able to do anything if the Alliance attacks. Atlantis has a full database of its technologies, which they can read and duplicate themselves without sacrificing a valuable military asset. Simply put, they would never, in a thousand years, disassemble a technological marvel like Atlantis. To do so would be a violation of common sense on the highest order.

The ship does not have to be disassembled to defend the planet, either. Drones can circle the planet, and Atlantis is a spaceship. They could park it in orbit if they though an attack was coming.
                      Surely taking some of it's facilities off Atlantis wouldn't require a complete shut down of the city. Couldn't they just shut down power to the specific city partition whilst keeping the weapons partition active?

I just find it makes sense to see what can be applied from Atlantis into other spaceships and outposts, so they wouldn't place all their eggs into one basket. Afterall the Lucian Alliance are doing quite well assuming the technology of defeated races and integrating it into their force. The rate of growth that the Lucian Alliance have undergone since the fall of the Goa'uld and Ori is quite formidable.

Besides I doubt they'd always know when an attack was coming? Just like how they were ill prepared for the attack on the Icarus planet. If the city was stationed on Earth whilst science teams were studying it, they'd have little time to get it into orbit. The Lucian Alliance acts fast, that they won't wait for Atlantis to get into orbit before they do some serious damage.

It's a race between the two to become the most technologically advanced, that for Earth to just rest on Atlantis and other alien inheritances seems a bit short sighted.

You also have to compare the landmass of Lantea and Earth. Lantea is around 15 million square miles whilst Earth is 200 million square miles. Atlantis barely managed to protect Lantea from the Wraith, so I don't see how it is a sure bet for Atlantis to protect a planet the size of Earth. Drones circling Earth isn't that feasible, you'd need many more drones to compensate for Earth's surface area. I'm sure all it would take is for the Lucian Alliance to keep Atlantis busy whilst, they exploit a location on Earth far removed from Atlantis to plant a bomb.

The Lucian Alliance is quite sizable and growing each day it inducts a new planet (with their technology) into their alliance that it wouldn't be too surprising if they could overwhelm Earth even with Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormtrooper View Post
                        Because, you know, both Woolsey and McKay seem to be the same characters they were on SG-1. It's like SGA never happened.

What gives?
                        i noticed that and i was quite happy about it.
                        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                          Yes. It's a conspiracy to pretend Atlantis never existed... fcol...
                          LMAO.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                            Yes. It's a conspiracy to pretend Atlantis never existed..
                            it exists it's getting pooped on in the pacific ocean
                            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Nemuro View Post
                              Surely taking some of it's facilities off Atlantis wouldn't require a complete shut down of the city. Couldn't they just shut down power to the specific city partition whilst keeping the weapons partition active?
                              The entire city is powered from the center tower, and the weapons systems is on one of the fins. That's a large area to shut down. You can't just take pieces. The city is one integrated starship.

I just find it makes sense to see what can be applied from Atlantis into other spaceships and outposts, so they wouldn't place all their eggs into one basket. Afterall the Lucian Alliance are doing quite well assuming the technology of defeated races and integrating it into their force. The rate of growth that the Lucian Alliance have undergone since the fall of the Goa'uld and Ori is quite formidable.
                              Which does not require completely dismantling the entire structure. Do you think they took the Odyssey apart to apply its upgrades to the rest of their fleet?

Also, the Alliance hasn't "absorbed" anything. They use stolen Goa'uld tech.

Besides I doubt they'd always know when an attack was coming? Just like how they were ill prepared for the attack on the Icarus planet. If the city was stationed on Earth whilst science teams were studying it, they'd have little time to get it into orbit. The Lucian Alliance acts fast, that they won't wait for Atlantis to get into orbit before they do some serious damage.
                              Drones can reach space within minutes.

It's a race between the two to become the most technologically advanced, that for Earth to just rest on Atlantis and other alien inheritances seems a bit short sighted.
                              Except it's not. The Alliance isn't racing to anything. They make no effort to improve what they have. It's all stolen tech.

You also have to compare the landmass of Lantea and Earth. Lantea is around 15 million square miles whilst Earth is 200 million square miles. Atlantis barely managed to protect Lantea from the Wraith, so I don't see how it is a sure bet for Atlantis to protect a planet the size of Earth. Drones circling Earth isn't that feasible, you'd need many more drones to compensate for Earth's surface area. I'm sure all it would take is for the Lucian Alliance to keep Atlantis busy whilst, they exploit a location on Earth far removed from Atlantis to plant a bomb.
                              Atlantis never tried to protect Lantea. Don't know where you're getting that idea from. It only ever protected itself. Regardless, the Antarctic outpost could defend the entire planet, thus so can Atlantis if need be.

The Lucian Alliance is quite sizable and growing each day it inducts a new planet (with their technology) into their alliance that it wouldn't be too surprising if they could overwhelm Earth even with Atlantis.
                              Again, I'm not sure where you're getting these odd ideas. One, the Alliance doesn't "induct" anything. They conquer. Two, they do not do this to technologically advanced worlds. They conquer backwards planets for troops and farmland. Three, they do no improve and thus the only chance they would ever have would be with sheer numbers.

Comment

The Lucian Alliance has changed from SG1 days. There was a time when you could just ride them off as fringe mercenaries who rode around in Goa'uld spaceships but the lines are getting blurred. They are more than just mercenaries now, they are an alliance of forces.

After all they could have taken Langara by force, but they instead have been trying to persuade Langara to become inducted into the alliance or at least have access to their Naquadria facility. It just shows that they have changed their approach to dealing with other planets, that instead of conquering, they are going through a process of recruiting planets into their alliance. Just like how Stargate Command has been recruiting planets into their treaty.

Besides if they could scavenge the technology of the Goa'uld, I don't see why they cannot assume the technology of other races or defeated races like the Ori. Especially if they have plants on other planets like they had plants on Earth.

In regards to Atlantis. I don't see how they can't shut down power to sections of the city, just like how they managed to restore power to sections of the city. Afterall Atlantis wasn't fully powered when they first got to it. Keep the central tower active, the weapons systems active, then shut down the unused sections and start integrating that.

The Odyssey is a battle cruiser, whilst Atlantis is a city that is more than just weaponry. Surely they could start integrating the non-weapons technology of Atlantis?

I'm a bit wary about the drones being able to protect the entire distance of Earth. Especially since the Lucian Alliance could easily plant spies on Earth whilst Atlantis was around. Kiva was able to station herself on Earth without too much detection, all the Lucian Alliance needs to do is have more brainwashed 'Telfords' to infiltrate Atlantis or Stargate Command.

Atlantis with it's drones would be great against large fleets and motherships, but this is terrorist style tactics employed by the Lucian Alliance. The problem with using drones to fight forces on the ground or even in the atmosphere of Earth is that there is the risk of damage to the population. All the Lucian Alliance needs to do is take the fight to a highly populated area of Earth and launch a surprise attack. If Atlantis fires it's drones they'd have to think twice about the fall of a couple of Goa'uld motherships on a big city. Besides I would like to see just how accurate droids are if an attack was happening all over the planet. If timed right and to big major cities, there could be some massive damage. Imagine the fallout on Earth, if a couple major countries were crippled.

If it is in the orbit on Earth, then they'd have a better chance of pre-empting. But if they are horrible at even detecting or capturing someone like Kiva, then there is always the chance of Atlantis just not being good enough or suited to this new warfare.

Besides my point about Atlantis not having to worry about Lantea so much is what I'm saying. When it is just Atlantis the city to protect, there was no need to worry about the whole planet. But now it has the responsibility of Earth, a world with billions of people to look after and such a massive surface area. There was a reason they picked Lantea to station Atlantis and that was because it had a safe environment and was relatively small to protect. But Earth is 13 times the size of Lantea. Plus the Tau'ri are no Ancients and probably haven't had much practice in using Atlantis to protect a planet like Earth effectively.

And when Atlantis was stationed in Antarctica so long ago, it didn't have the number of threats that Earth faces now. And not nearly the underdeveloped population.

Comment

Working...
                                X