So that was pretty much the most underhanded thing we've ever done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
    That Young took part doesn't really bother or surprise me, but I am interested in just how far up it goes, and have a sneaking suspicion that it goes as high as Telford and some IOA guys, rather than a whole Earth deal
    Indeed, the IOA are evil!

Comment

This was the most irresponsible selfish thing SGC attempted to do. Putting a whole planet full of people at risk against their wishes, shameful. Jack O'Neill used to stick it to the man when stuff like that got proposed, now it seems worse immoral stuff happens when hes in command.
      sigpic

Comment

People seem to forget that Jack was black ops before he joined SG1. Black ops. Are we seriously supposed to think he is anywhere near squeaky clean? I always assumed just the opposite, based on his background. He is a man who gets the job done, whether it's tasteful or not, because he answers to national security - nothing more, nothing less. I don't approve by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm not in the least bit surprised that he would approve this particular op.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          Good lord. Our guys have done some underhanded things in the past, whether intentionally or not, but this is really a new low. Use the comm stones to take over a guard captain and president so you can experiment with a potentially world-destroying experiment (on a planet of thousands to millions of people!) when the locals have already said "hell no"? Holy hell guys.
          I agree. Their technique was extremely clever but to use it on a planet with which they have diplomatic relations? Horrible.. I think the writers got too carried away.
          Geral Corasjo

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
            Woolsey and I suppose to a lesser extent Mckay seemed to be the only ones against it. But I suppose Earth did expect the Lucian Alliance to be with the Langarans, and boy they were wrong!

But yeah, I'm slightly confused on how Earth or Homeworld Command was willing to do this. It was neat how they did it though.
            I'm wondering who it was doing the grovelling to get our people back..

I figured something like this was on the cards after that senator went to Destiny in a previous ep along with that scientist. Destiny is on the radar as a political tool on Earth and as such is gaining more importance. It is about a bit more than the lives of 80 people now.
            True, but they are most likely now dead from the radiation.
            BUT it does make me wonder if it was politics pulling the strings to get us to do what we did.

Earth and her representatives have done countless morally questionable things over the seasons of the franchise and I have a hard time thinking of even one character who hasn't been involved in something underhanded at some point. And fandom has the same argument, every single time.
            I wonder if someone has a list..

Comment

We have never done something so bad to allies, and risked billions of lives on a theory for our own self-interest. Part of what makes it so stupid is that Destiny is in very little danger. Hell, we could have recommended that the Langarans disconnect their gate from the core at the damn start, until they had a chance to go over the data. If it was that easy to prevent an attack on Destiny... why the hell didn't they suggest it in the first place?

The rush was artificial, and thus stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                Good lord. Our guys have done some underhanded things in the past, whether intentionally or not, but this is really a new low. Use the comm stones to take over a guard captain and president so you can experiment with a potentially world-destroying experiment (on a planet of thousands to millions of people!) when the locals have already said "hell no"? Holy hell guys.
                Don't forget the current fanbase contains just a few SG fans. TPTB have changed the rules.

Comment

Took me a couple days to get over the shock of this episode.

This was seriously bad guy stuff. It was not questionably moral. It was immoral. It was wrong. Anytime you take over someone's body against their will? That's wrong enough. That's what a little race called the Goa'uld did. Then they just kept piling on the wrongs. And for what? Another one-way trip?

WTF is up with this episode?

Screw this show.

Comment

Originally posted by spinny magee View Post
                    I never thought i would say this

But no wonder it was cancelled

To plan a great episode and make it a steampile of a particular s word.
                    Hey, Im one of the biggest SGU fans out there... and I agree.... seizure was a steaming piece of turd.....

but dont count out next weeks ep... it looks sweet.
                    sigpic

Comment

Finally, it took Earth too long IMO to act like a real power, acting in pure self intrest. This is Foreign policy 101 the interests of your country come before anyone elses, was what they did wrong hell yes but is justifiable maybe, the West have been doing it for years.

Comment

Risk murdering millions just to send some food, water, and a handful of people to help some 70 odd people on Destiny. There's a justification for that? I don't think Earth is that interested in this costly mistake of dialing the 9th chevron to do that. The Destiny has zero impact on anything involving Earth, and Earth has nothing tangible to gain from Destiny.
                        IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                          Risk murdering millions just to send some food, water, and a handful of people to help some 70 odd people on Destiny. There's a justification for that? I don't think Earth is that interested in this costly mistake of dialing the 9th chevron to do that. The Destiny has zero impact on anything involving Earth, and Earth has nothing tangible to gain from Destiny.
                          I don't condone the Langara mission but I understand it though. O'Neill and just about everybody in the Stargate program, especially guys like Sheppard and Mitchell, are all very experienced in black ops. This kind of op is precisely the kind of mission they were trained to perform before they ever entered the Stargate program.

From their perspective, there was no risk to Langara. McKay said there's zero risk and given his rep on Atlantis, I'm certain they took him at his word. I'm sure Carter had a thorough look at his analysis for good measure before it ever got to Eli or anyone on the ship. Earth's best and brightest signed off on McKay's solution so like I said, there was no risk to Langara as far as the top brass in Homeworld Security were concerned.

The likelihood of a pact with the Lucian Alliance pushed the op's urgency to top priority. So, given McKay's technical experience and the people involved, O'Neill and everybody at Homeworld Security took a calculated risk to prevent another Lucian Alliance attack--especially since they just had a freakin' naquadria bomb land on their front doorstep 2 episodes before. They took the calculated risk... and were absolutely wrong. Being incredibly wrong comes with the risk of making life or death decisions, especially when dealing with an organization like the Lucian Alliance that just attacked the seat of the Stargate program on Earth.

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
                          Finally, it took Earth too long IMO to act like a real power, acting in pure self intrest. This is Foreign policy 101 the interests of your country come before anyone elses, was what they did wrong hell yes but is justifiable maybe, the West have been doing it for years.
                          From my perspective, they're all behaving realistically with the way a government that just got punched in the nose with a naquadria bomb would act--mistakes and all. They're paranoid and trigger-happy, which is what I would expect.
                          sigpic

Comment

Eh, I don't know what to think. I don't really believe it was morally ambiguous for them to pull that kind of thing since there was no real risk to Langara. It was a dick of a political move but since nobody was harmed I don't believe it was really a horrible thing to do, necessarily. Besides, what's Langara doing for Earth anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                              That Young took part doesn't really bother or surprise me, but I am interested in just how far up it goes, and have a sneaking suspicion that it goes as high as Telford and some IOA guys, rather than a whole Earth deal
                              We did not risk blowing up a planet with millions of people on the say so of Telford. I'm not even sure the president would take that risk unless the planet housed our most hated enemy.

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                                I don't condone the Langara mission but I understand it though. O'Neill and just about everybody in the Stargate program, especially guys like Sheppard and Mitchell, are all very experienced in black ops. This kind of op is precisely the kind of mission they were trained to perform before they ever entered the Stargate program.

From their perspective, there was no risk to Langara. McKay said there's zero risk and given his rep on Atlantis, I'm certain they took him at his word. I'm sure Carter had a thorough look at his analysis for good measure before it ever got to Eli or anyone on the ship. Earth's best and brightest signed off on McKay's solution so like I said, there was no risk to Langara as far as the top brass in Homeworld Security were concerned.

The likelihood of a pact with the Lucian Alliance pushed the op's urgency to top priority. So, given McKay's technical experience and the people involved, O'Neill and everybody at Homeworld Security took a calculated risk to prevent another Lucian Alliance attack--especially since they just had a freakin' naquadria bomb land on their front doorstep 2 episodes before. They took the calculated risk... and were absolutely wrong. Being incredibly wrong comes with the risk of making life or death decisions, especially when dealing with an organization like the Lucian Alliance that just attacked the seat of the Stargate program on Earth.

From my perspective, they're all behaving realistically with the way a government that just got punched in the nose with a naquadria bomb would act--mistakes and all. They're paranoid and trigger-happy, which is what I would expect.
                                no risk??????????????
                                The last two planets that dialed destiny are dead. McCay has demonstrates awful judgement in these situatations. We are fortunate the asgard are no longer around or our actions would have consequences.

Comment

Working...
                                X