Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i loved the episode. it was great. not what i expected, but in a good way perhaps.

loved Mckay. he was himself, but not OTT. balanced, if you will. condescending, that's how i like him. but not annoyingly. the smart guy, but not anvilling it to everyone. the citrus remark was nice. it would've been an epic failure if it wasn't mentioned since we know Mckay loves his precious self.

loved woolsey. he was, for all intents and purposes, the Woolsey we love and know. concerned about the course of action. preferring a less guns-blazing approach. i was baffled that he would agree to this mission since he objected, but given the stone transplantation, i think he agreed since it didn't hurt anyone.

i loved how Young told Mckay "if you convince eli, i'm convinced". and then Eli and Mckay arguing over something different, as if to say, "the math was just fine, nothing wrong, there are bigger things".

Mckay getting the Destiny offer and talking about returning.

i liked that the Langarans have the same naquahdriah tapping technology as Earth. but they seem to use it to power their own homeworld in stead of using it for gates only.

in general, i loved it. the use of the stones was ingenious. i was like, "do i care about the gifts?" and then the inscription and i was like "why would they give ancient tech" and then the box opens and we have a STONE!!

it was great. it really was. the perry plot was a bit... distracting. not that it was annoying, or uninteresting. but the focus was the dialling and it kinda removed the weight such a dial could bring. it never gave me the feeling that they would actually DIAL. i just knew from the start, from the first 2 minutes that they were never even going to dial it.

i loved how earth handled. it was much more realistic. earth isn't perfect. far from it. mistakes are made. just as in real life.

Earth has been turned into scum to resort to this
    y'think so?

Sg1, season 1, episode 1. first act of earth: toss a nuke through the gate.

SG1, i believe season 4. Chain Reaction. Earth wants to not just nuke goauld worlds, they want to use supernukes to set a naquahdah chain reaction to mass-annihilate the goauld.

SGA: genetic superweapons to end the threat, even if that means effective annihilation of a species.

SGA: genocide of an alien species, even though all hostilities were THEIR fault.

SG1 and SGA have made many mistakes and have quite a bit of blood on their hands. not to mention bringing the Replicator and Ori threat to the milkyway and awakening the Wraith AND Asuran AND hybrid threat.

to say that Earth has become scum is to say "i haven't payed any attention ever". they were from the very beginning. not to mention "the other side" in which we're perfectly happy to trade powerful weapons and technologies with a race without even checking the origin of the war and who's the bad guy.

not to mention the rogue NID and the Trust, which both originated from earth and stole technology from everyone in the name of the defence of earth.

not to mention us basically forcing the Tollan to destroy themselves so our selfish selves can live on.

Earth has always been a scumbag. and it has always been about Earth and Earth's defences. it's only because SG1 and the base commander were so nice that earth appeared as nice
    Last edited by thekillman; 05 April 2011, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
      Did promote as a SGA crossover, after all both characters were in SG1 to.
      mind blown
      X)

Comment

I liked it, Victor Garber could have been had more screentime but nevertheless enough Woolsey and McKay for me.. miss me some Atlantis watching...
        sigpic

Comment

Totally missed the Sheppard reference, sadly.

I guess Keller must have broken off with McKay as he's back to ogling at Lt. Vanessa's boobs

Comment

Originally posted by blazingfire View Post
            Totally missed the Sheppard reference, sadly.

I guess Keller must have broken off with McKay as he's back to ogling at Lt. Vanessa's boobs
            because men are wired monogamously by nature, especially when faced with two very ..supple.. chesticles half a feet from their face.

Comment

+1 we got to see a working stargate

-1000 it wasnt Destiny stargate, meh...

Do you think we would be faced with SGU cancellation if McKay had been on this show from the start? I think not. We wouldve had a tangible connection to the rest of the franchise and fans wouldve stuck with it.

This episode was above average at best, only because McKay and Woolsey were in it.

Comment

There were things I liked about this episode, but ultimately, it's not one of my favorites. I loved seeing McKay and Woolsey again. I loved Perry and the brief moment with Ginn again. But... I dunno, there was something kind of slow about the whole Langara plot for me. Which is weird, because I'm usually one of the people defending SGU for actually being great in its "slowness."

I guess I was just expecting more to come of that whole story. I wouldn't be surprised if they pick this stuff up in some of the remaining episodes, but it might have been fun to have the Lucian Alliance actually show up. Or even little things, like hearing McKay's answer to Telford's offer.

I do like that the entire mission was ultimately a failure, and that it was largely a push by Telford. It was a mistake, but it was also one that seemed to be motivated by a desire to get the Destiny crew home/help. The gray zone is where SGU lives, and this situation is no exception. There are valid arguments both for and against everything they did in the episode. (Your mileage may vary, of course...)

"Shepard was right." ... Love it.

Comment

Great ep. Had me clapping when the gift box opened and there was a stone inside.

Rodney was the Rodney that I loved to hate in SG1 and grew to just love in the first few seasons of SGA. Woolsey was the Woolsey that annoyed the bejeezus out of me in SG1 but that I grew to love in SGA. The line about Sheppard being right reminded me sooooooo much of Lorne's line about Rodney being really smart in Runner and had me LOLing.

As for the complaints about no mention of Atlantis... Firstly, why would they mention Atlantis? It has zip to do with the story. We don't even know if Rodney is still based there. Secondly, perhaps if they make some announcement about where Atlantis is, it might contradict the story they want to tell in any future movie? Or might give something away about any future movie? As unlikely as I think any future movie might be, they aren't going to paint themselves into a corner just to satisfy a few fans' curiosity.

Similarly, Jonas is known only to people who watched a few seasons of SG1 a very long time ago. Why throw in a reference to a character that will make the majority of your audience think "WTF?".

And I really wish I'd watched the same ep as those of you who watched "half an episode of Rush getting his rocks off". It only lasted about a minute and a half in the version I watched.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post

As for the complaints about no mention of Atlantis... Firstly, why would they mention Atlantis? It has zip to do with the story. We don't even know if Rodney is still based there. Secondly, perhaps if they make some announcement about where Atlantis is, it might contradict the story they want to tell in any future movie? Or might give something away about any future movie? As unlikely as I think any future movie might be, they aren't going to paint themselves into a corner just to satisfy a few fans' curiosity.
                    They could have added something really vague, like Eli asking if McKay really worked in the fabled city of Atlantis or McKay complaining that all these Area 51 techies were messing up with the power conduits or something. Just so that we know Atlantis exists and not some thing we all dreamed of 7 years ago.

I don't care even if they only said one word about it, it still would have made us Atlantis fans feel happy .

Comment

Great episode, McKay was just awesome as always Only too bad we didn't hear anything about Atlantis or Jonas Quinn... The only short reference to Atlantis when Young said something like Shepard was right, when Young was talking to McKay how much time it would take.

Too bad they weren't allowed to make a connection to Destiny, since Telford wanted McKay on Destiny :O
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blazingfire View Post
                        They could have added something really vague, like Eli asking if McKay really worked in the fabled city of Atlantis or McKay complaining that all these Area 51 techies were messing up with the power conduits or something. Just so that we know Atlantis exists and not some thing we all dreamed of 7 years ago.

I don't care even if they only said one word about it, it still would have made us Atlantis fans feel happy .
                        I'm an Atlantis fan and would love to know what happened to the city and the people there, but, like I said, they would be painting themselves into a corner by saying anything.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm an Atlantis fan and would love to know what happened to the city and the people there, but, like I said, they would be painting themselves into a corner by saying anything.
                          Well, at least we know Sheppard's still alive

Comment

I loved this episode. Funny, bit of action, some tension and we saw a stargate.

I don't see why people are saying that they should have included something about Atlantis because this could be our last chance to hear anything etc. The writers did not kno this would possibly be the last chance. The had set up the idea that maybe McKay could be brought on again in the future through the stones (Saying to Eli, "this isnt over". And Telford asking him to join etc). I do think it would have been nice to have a little mention BUT why would they. There was never an opportunity. They were talking about dialing Destiny, the only two ever stationed on Atlantis were Woolsey and McKay and I am sure they would have talked a lot about at some other time. Neither Telford nor Young are big on small talk so why would they have dismissed the mission at hand and just had a quick chin wag about a mission they have never been involved in? As they are working for SG they are probably able to access information about the current status of the general mission and as soldiers they probably know to work on a need to know basis, so what they have read is what they are allowed to know, so they don't ask questions.

What did you want. Woolsey to turn to McKay and say "Well gee wizz, it sure will be nice to get back to atlantis....in the PAGASUS GALAXY dun dun dunnnnnn" (noise made by woolsey, in shot sound effects)

Now I know lots of people will say "no they could have just said a line about blah blah blah or included this that or the other" but that would ave only appeased your curiosity about the subject. And though you may have spoken to other people about what they want, it still would only make up a small fraction of what the majority wanted. everyone would have wanted a different line or two included. And yes lots of people may have wanted something about Atlantis mentioned, but like others have said, they could paint them selves in a corner for possible films (however unlikely they are). And when this was written they may have had a bigger SG1 or SGA cross over in mind where questions would have been answered, but this was filmed before the cancellation.

As for earth being horrible and risking their planet for the 80 people on Destiny. They now KNOW a way to do it safely. Yes it can not be totaly sure that it is 100% but they seem to have the backing of McKay (plus I guess allll scientist at his disposal, maybe Carter too) Brody, Eli, maybe others. And Eli seemed completely sure about it. McKay said there is 0% chance of anything going wrong. Had they wanted to they could have taken a ship to Langara and beamed as many soldiers as they wanted down there and kept arial defense of any movement to the complex. Or just beamed some of their people out to give them the complex. They did not do this. They went in trying to do it without ay casualties to show them it can work. They were not putting any one in danger as far as they could be sure of it and they saw it as a last chance as they believed Langerans to be in connection with the LA. Yes they turned out not to be, but they couldn't take that risk, they had to find out for sure.

Comment

Rodney was the Rodney that I loved to hate in SG1 and grew to just love in the first few seasons of SGA. Woolsey was the Woolsey that annoyed the bejeezus out of me in SG1 but that I grew to love in SGA. The line about Sheppard being right reminded me sooooooo much of Lorne's line about Rodney being really smart in Runner and had me LOLing.

Similarly, Jonas is known only to people who watched a few seasons of SG1 a very long time ago. Why throw in a reference to a character that will make the majority of your audience think "WTF?".
                              Rodney could have easily said "I'm happy where I am", "I've got my own Ancient mysteries to figure out..." or some such that would have allowed SGA fans to hear whatever they wanted to hear without painting themselves into a corner.

As for Jonas, as you point out, they mentioned Sheppard without worrying about the audience "WTF'ing"... I think by the time this episode was written they probably had some idea the audience was sadly, too small and probably consists of left overs from the original 2 series, not a lot of new blood.

"The langarans are long time allies of earth, in fact one of them served as a member of SG1. It would have been so much easier to smooth things over if he had been here to act as a liaison. Too bad he is <insert one of> Dead, offworld, has the sniffles, etc.."

And I really wish I'd watched the same ep as those of you who watched "half an episode of Rush getting his rocks off". It only lasted about a minute and a half in the version I watched.
                              The whole subplot of Rush being stuck in the ship's computer happened so he could get his rocks off, not just the literal minute and a half (poor Amanda).

Comment

Fairly good episode. Through it was always going to disappoint SGA fans, if they have explain Atlantis and it current operations then they would have moaned about Shepperd and co not being the ep or no details about there current duties..

Thought this episode could have been improve with a few extra images and may be a couple of different sets. For instant the first round of negotiations taking place on Atlantis and perhaps the fly over of Langara including a ruin city and or a couple of Ori weapons amongst the Langarans solders.

I enjoyed Amanda and Rush storyline and how it shows how much more advance and knowledgeable Rush have become in controlling destiny then ELI is, when Rush destroyed Destiny, hopefully that was not just a flaw in the simulation or Perry underestimating ELI and over estimating Rush abilities.

Thought Eli and Rodney scen was good, but I would love to know what they were arguing about.

But everything in the episode just seemed a bit to short and lacking details, especially the Langaran storyline.

But unlike some people I can see this being exactly what O'neil would do, especially when he has not got Sam and Jackson to guide is moral choices. O'neil never had any problem what so ever with taking things Earth and SGC needed to for our own gains. It was always Sam and Jackson which guided him away from such actions.

Through this could all have been a plot by Telford to further isolate Earth from our Milkyway Galaxy allies.

Through we now know Earth can dial the 9th Chevron without any problems as power core were stable. Through we have got to wonder how they are going to protect Langara from the Lucian alliance attacks when they cannot seem to protect there own facilities Earth from Attack. May be a other scene of a 304 deploying satelites in orbit would have been cool.

Through one got to wonder why they did not just take over the ambassador body and search his office first before attempting to dial Destiny.

Comment

Working...
                                X