This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
    I am seriously surprised at how much I didn't like this episode, and it has nothing to do with McKay (who I thought was well-written and as always wonderfully played by David Hewitt).

I gave it a 6 out of 10 (my lowest rating this season!) and now I'll tell you why.

We are seriously to believe that the Stargate program, no matter how many assurances by their best scientist, is willing to (1) kidnap officials from another, allied world, (2) take a facility on an allied world by guile/force, and (3) try an experiment that has some non-zero chance (no matter how small) of destroying a planet full of people?

All to supply a small number of people on Destiny?

No, and if the answer is yes, then I am utterly disgusted. There is NO scientific experiment where the outcome is 100% certain - Rodney could have been as certain of his brilliant calculations as he could be, but he had never used their equipment before (he himself said it was "1940's technology" - what if something had experienced a mechanical failure? They would have committed genocide.

I was so disgusted by the premise of the A plot, I almost couldn't pay attention to the B plot.
    I have not seen the ep yet, so I won't comment on it.
    However, Carmen, you have nailed alot of reasons why some people just don't like SGU. It's not that it's "too different" from SG1/SGA, it's not that "people are too dumb to get it", or any other of the myriad reasons SGU fans give for people not liking SGU, it's that some of the things portrayed in SGU are utterly "unbelievable" inside the SG canon (not unbelievable as in not possible), as to just turn people off. I will always argue that SGU had truckloads of potential, I'm just bitterly dissapointed as to how it was used
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

9/10. It's not a 10 because McKay and Rush didn't interact Anyway, McKay was great and it was also good to see Woolsey again. I like the girls' quarantine because I think it's more interesting if the crew has only partial control and knowledge of Destiny.

Comment

I would give this one a 10. Great episode.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I liked this episode, because despite the expectations of seeing SGA characters it was still SGU. SGU is about the darker side of human motivation and paranoia. This episode illustrated how afraid Earth actually is of the LA threat. It is more insidious, not a tangible threat from a fleet of ships coming at Earth as with the Goa'uld, Ori and the Wraith, but real threats from the inside, not knowing when and where they will hit and do the damage. There is a sense of real unease at Homeworld Security.

The fact that the stones were used like a science fiction Trojan horse when all other means of persuasion had failed shows how desperate Earth has become and I thought was the most inventive use of the stones to date. No sense of high and mighty morals here, but they did kick in at the end thankfully, we're still the good guys at heart!!!.

McKay I thought was used well and refreshingly he never got to see if his theory would turn into a successful 9th chevron dial that left Langara intact. I guess he didn't want to put that to the test again, he'd been faced with tragic consequences before, it showed how much he had learned to curb his arrogance and show some humility finally.

Wolsey was back with the unenviable diplomatic task of trying the balance the extremes. He was used perfectly in this episode.

Life on Destiny carries on as usual with crazy stuff! Rush and Perry, I sort of knew that would be the next thing, to try and interact in the virtual world of Destiny's computer with the disembodied consciousness of Perry and Ginn. Liked that there was a catch, and again with a price to pay to get out of it. Poor Eli, and Ginn, victims of a selfish Perry and Rush who just could not be content with what they had.

Another 9 from me.

Comment

Actually I gave it 6, it was great to see McKay and Woolsey again and especially Victor Garber, if they were not there I would have gave it a 5. The subplot with Amanda and Rush I did not like. Eli and McKay worked on the other hand great and I wished they had more screentime together. As well as Vanessa and McKay other than that I expected more of this episode.
            sigpic

Comment

I expected a better episode since it was a crossover -_-

Goodbye STARGATE & Gateworld

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
                We are seriously to believe that the Stargate program, no matter how many assurances by their best scientist, is willing to (1) kidnap officials from another, allied world, (2) take a facility on an allied world by guile/force, and (3) try an experiment that has some non-zero chance (no matter how small) of destroying a planet full of people?
                Earth is at war at the moment with the Lucian Alliance and that world was now part of the Lucian Alliance according to intel. It was either letting the enemy grab this important position or grabbing it before they do. Since all this was founded on flimsy intel, they did it anyway (which is surprising) but used non-lethal means only. It's an horrible diplomatic blunder... with no casualities.
                Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                  It was either letting the enemy grab this important position or grabbing it before they do.
                  3rd option: When the ambassador asked "That is the price for your protection from the Lucian Alliance?", offer security & protection in exchange for allowing Mckay to discuss with their scientists. If they denied such a proposal then it would of showed their hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanith0709 View Post
                    3rd option: When the ambassador asked "That is the price for your protection from the Lucian Alliance?", offer security & protection in exchange for allowing Mckay to discuss with their scientists. If they denied such a proposal then it would of showed their hand.
                    I think they are already under earth protection. The meeting was all about finding a diplomatic compromise but the other world were adamant (understandably) to have their scientists study McKay's calculations before making a decision. Which would have taken them many months. And now earth thought they were joining the LA because of communications (which is weak as proof).
                    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Earth is at war at the moment with the Lucian Alliance and that world was now part of the Lucian Alliance according to intel.It was either letting the enemy grab this important position or grabbing it before they do. Since all this was founded on flimsy intel, they did it anyway (which is surprising) but used non-lethal means only. It's an horrible diplomatic blunder... with no casualities.
                      That wasn't the plan was it?

Earth was going to take the facilities, run their experiment and then hope the Langaran's would see the light. (Which is just dumb and beyond wreckless. "See, we didn't blow up your planet and kill everyone, now you trust us right?") I don't think they were planning to take over Langara's gate if they didn't see the light?

If Langara sided with LA, Earth could have beamed out their gate, or Asgard beamed their facility into rubble.

Comment

Originally posted by FoX-1028 View Post
                        I expected a better episode since it was a crossover -_-
                        May I ask why? What would a crossover episode be better than usual?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The_Asgard_live View Post
                          That wasn't the plan was it?

Earth was going to take the facilities, run their experiment and then hope the Langaran's would see the light. (Which is just dumb and beyond wreckless. "See, we didn't blow up your planet and kill everyone, now you trust us right?") I don't think they were planning to take over Langara's gate if they didn't see the light?
                          Yes but if the Langaran are now with the LA as the intel "suggest". They would be no need to prove to them anything, since they oppose you no matter what. They're like the enemy part of the LA.

Comment

Yes but if the Langaran are now with the LA as the intel "suggest". They would be no need to prove to them anything, since they oppose you no matter what. They're like the enemy part of the LA.

I didn't think the A- Plot rang true - why not just offer military help to protect Langara from the LA for the time it would take Langaren scientists to check out Mckays work? If they say no to protection you know your intel is right and they are siding with the LA and then you do the sneak attack on their facility.

I enjoyed the B Plot though and thought the guest characters worked well so I give it a 7.

Comment

5/10

And that's being very generous.

That Jack would have authorized this flies in the face of the character that has been established. Yes Jack has done his fair share of dirty dealings and morally questionable things (to include stealing naquadria from Langara), but authorizing this? No way would he have done that. Risk killing millions to send some supplies to some 70 people. Nope. McKay can 100% grantee anything he likes, but we know how that generally turns out. Jack wouldn't gamble lives like that under these circumstances.

I could see the espionage thing with the stones. I could totally see that being authorized, but even then it made little sense that the Langaran government would willingly cooperate with the LA because we are talking about the very real possibility of blowing up their planet. They would have absolutely nothing to gain and everything to loose by working cooperatively with the LA.

No mention of Jonas is a minus, but then I expected nothing more. McKay could have said something since he met Jonas in "Redemption" and Jonas would have been involved in this...assuming he is actually still alive.... SGU is a franchise show and not a standalone show happening in a vacuum.

Great to see McKay and Woolsey again. Plus for the Sheppard mention even though I don't get why he would have ever conversed with Young. (If they could find room for him, then why not Jonas?) Rush and RC get a plus for that side of the story, character-wise.

Stick to Destiny stories. This Earth side stuff with the LA continues to be a weak story for me. I really wanted to love this episode, but the Langaran plot was terrible. I would have much rather seen an ep with McKay on Destiny. The bit with him and Eli was great, but this appearance was pretty much wasted otherwise. And that makes me sad.
                              IMO always implied.

Comment

A 7. I expected it to be higher but there's just something off about it. Need a rewatch...
                                sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Working...
                                X