Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the point of the shuttle stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks too small to be one of the drones we saw.

EDIT: Just watched it again and they are the exact same, just seemed bigger when they were attacking.
    Last edited by kirmit; 01 December 2010, 11:43 AM.

Comment

With the ship operating with only 40% power capacity, i can easily understand this..
      those drones, from the looks of it about as big as Blue Gunships, disposed of Destiny as fast as, what, 5-7 Blue motherships?

hell, they didn't even go to turtle mode to quickly repair the FTL damage!

Looks too small to be one of the drones we saw.
      i suspect it to be something like a computer core or so

Comment

Well I guess it gave us a chance to see a little more conflict between Young and Rush, with Rush wanting to leave and Young refusing to leave people behind... Just a little more info as to where their priorities lie..

Comment

The purpose of the shuttle trip was to test the third space suit that Brody had just repaired. As usual Greer was the guinea pig.

Also it was very cool how they jump from one ship to another. Nicely built up the suspense. But I think they went too far with the scene at the end where they have to run to get back to the shuttle. They made it seem like the bulky suits were slowing them down. But how can that be in a zero gravity environment?

Comment

I would have like if they at least found one interesting stuff on the damaged ursine ship. Maybe they could have found that the Ursini were also studying the background radiation.
            Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Aewon View Post
              They'd have to know where to aim. If anything, they were lucky to hit the FTL Drive before Destiny could jump into FTL.
              If they were lucky while waiting for the shuttle, they could have been equally lucky while not waiting for the shuttle.

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
              The shuttle trip was indeed totally uninteresting by itself. They could have at least discovered some background info on the owners of these ships, but even the events that lead to the giant debris field were figured out from Destiny itself. I as a viewer expect some kind of utility in the scenes I'm watching and a pay off for watching them. Here the only thing that shuttle trip did was delay Destiny. Fine, but it would have been a lot more interesting if they ALSO had actually discovered something useful on the ship itself. It needn't have been something directly tied to the plot of the episode because that would be too SGAesque, but at least some interesting information for the backdrop of the show was very warranted. I did not get the feeling of receiving a payoff for watching the shuttle trip. It's not the first time this happens on SGU either
              Yeah, finding ANYthing would have at least made it worth it. Even an alien version of a cell phone or something else equally unimportant.
              With the ship operating with only 40% power capacity, i can easily understand this..[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by spaceship View Post
              But I think they went too far with the scene at the end where they have to run to get back to the shuttle. They made it seem like the bulky suits were slowing them down. But how can that be in a zero gravity environment?
              I was wondering about that too, I figured it was because of the magnetized boots or something?

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
              I would have like if they at least found one interesting stuff on the damaged ursine ship. Maybe they could have found that the Ursini were also studying the background radiation.
              Would have been cool to find that kind of tie-in with the Ursini, but then they would have to be as advanced as the ancients were, and I don't think they'd want to do that in this series.

Comment

While I agree that that whole part was drawn out a bit too much and was rather boring, I can't really see any other way for it to have gone except for it to have been hurried along a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by LeonK View Post
                  Would have been cool to find that kind of tie-in with the Ursini, but then they would have to be as advanced as the ancients were, and I don't think they'd want to do that in this series.
                  They wouldn't need to be as advanced as the ancient and certainly not in all fields. Maybe the background radiations is not so hard to find when you know how to look for it. Maybe luck and a couple of sensors can do the trick. Finding the secrets of them may be something else.
                  Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by spaceship View Post
                    The purpose of the shuttle trip was to test the third space suit that Brody had just repaired. As usual Greer was the guinea pig.

Also it was very cool how they jump from one ship to another. Nicely built up the suspense. But I think they went too far with the scene at the end where they have to run to get back to the shuttle. They made it seem like the bulky suits were slowing them down. But how can that be in a zero gravity environment?
                    A combination of the magnetized boots, and for dramatic suspense. (and that the scene was shot on Earth )

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                      They wouldn't need to be as advanced as the ancient and certainly not in all fields. Maybe the background radiations is not so hard to find when you know how to look for it. Maybe luck and a couple of sensors can do the trick. Finding the secrets of them may be something else.
                      I suppose that's possible....but....wouldn't it pretty much cheapen the whole "real mission" of Destiny if any joe-shmoe species could stumble upon the hidden structure to the universe?

Comment

Originally posted by LeonK View Post
                        I suppose that's possible....but....wouldn't it pretty much cheapen the whole "real mission" of Destiny if any joe-shmoe species could stumble upon the hidden structure to the universe?
                        Destiny's mission is getting there, not about finding it. Anybody can find it, but it takes the Ancients/their technology and knowledge to actually get there.

Comment

They really should have painted Star Bug on the side of the shuttle. Would have been more fun.

Comment

Originally posted by sgc View Post
                            Destiny's mission is getting there, not about finding it. Anybody can find it, but it takes the Ancients/their technology and knowledge to actually get there.
                            So ...... in future seasons/episodes, we're going to find Destiny in a space race to get to the source of the structure?

Go speed destiny, go speed destiny, go speed destiney goooooo!

Comment

It would have been better if they had decided to go over to retrieve raw material for the repair bot, since they've been using it more lately, and not generic scrounging. Last time they got nothing for it except a place for Rush to get his butt kicked, reveal Destiny's mission and save Young on the way back. Here they only got to delay Destiny.

And it also would have been great to have seen that out-take of Telford telling a joke to the Ursini included in the scenes when he was describing what happened. Something a little more interesting than him just looking around.

Anyway, the story was overall pretty good, but with a few small tweaks it could have been great!

And no wonder Destiny loses shields so fast...dang Eli draining power to calculate PI!

Comment

It would have been nice had they mentioned they need to pick up some hull plating, for the repair bot to fix the dome with..

Comment

Working...
                                X