Simeon unrealistically overpowered.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jonzey View Post
    Would we be questioning this if Jack/Teal'c/Sam/Sheppard/Teyla/Ronon/Young/Scott had done something similar on an alien ship? If anything it just proves how much of a threat Simeon was. And I'm not surprised he was able to overpower the armoury guard- why would they be alert? I mean, as far as they're concerned, any threat would either come through the gate, or on other ships, in which case they'd hear about it first. And losing power? We know that's not an uncommon occurence on Destiny. And it was Simeon's self-assigned mission to overpower his guard, kill Ginn and escape. I doubt he would have given up if there was an extra person guarding him.
    I distinctly recall an episode where jack and teal'c ambushed a patrol of jaffa on a mothership and beat them unconscious unarmed, and lets not forget teal'c and ronon retaking the SGC from the wraith. In short we've seen clear examples where characters have defied odds and have simply beaten a numerically superior force.

Comment

Originally posted by shadowhunter483 View Post
      I distinctly recall an episode where jack and teal'c ambushed a patrol of jaffa on a mothership and beat them unconscious unarmed, and lets not forget teal'c and ronon retaking the SGC from the wraith. In short we've seen clear examples where characters have defied odds and have simply beaten a numerically superior force.
      This was just the first time it was an enemy who pulled it off and who wasn't some genetically engineered superman like the the Kull Warriors.
      sigpic
      Doci of the BAG

Comment

Originally posted by GateroomGuard View Post
        This was just the first time it was an enemy who pulled it off and who wasn't some genetically engineered superman like the the Kull Warriors.
        I'm just happy that Earth wasn't the only one who encouraged their soldiers to take a level in badass. After 13 or so years of watching supposed "first primes", hardened criminals and assorted other "tough guys" get steam rolled by mere Earthlings, it's refreshing to see that others can give as much as the SGC.

Comment

Originally posted by JustAnotherVoice View Post
          I'm just happy that Earth wasn't the only one who encouraged their soldiers to take a level in badass. After 13 or so years of watching supposed "first primes", hardened criminals and assorted other "tough guys" get steam rolled by mere Earthlings, it's refreshing to see that others can give as much as the SGC.
          Simeon was one of the few Lucian Alliance members to earn a scholarship to Villain Competancy University
          sigpic
          Doci of the BAG

Comment

Maybe now they can use some sort of security lock for the door instead of just having red shirts standing at the door staring at a wall when they should be looking left and right.

Comment

You know....it's not like he's a Jaffa or Stormtrooper...he can aim. Besides, it's not like the Lucian Alliance don't train their guys......
              Tst

Comment

Who is to say the best marines were on Destiny? Plus the element of surprise...anything is possible....I say: Plausible.

Comment

The episode shows the 2 guys guarding the armoury were at that particular moment looking at another entrance of that hall. When Simeon came from the other side he shot one and the other looked around suprised as hell before getting shot. It's really not that far off for Simeon to shoot them. One of the posters here might even pull that off, shooting 2 marines from relatively short distance while they're checking another entrance and looking away.

He should've had 2 guards on him, of course, but then again what had he down untill that point? TJ made im squeel, Greer made him run away. So far he'd only been annoying.

Comment

you know, if simeon had been Jack O'neill and the Destiny crew had been jaffa, ori guards, wraith, or whatever, we would've found it all plausible and normal. but when an alien pulls off something, he's overpowered

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                      Eh, you need to read up on how convicts really escape (and believe me, it's nothing like the movies). It's mostly from very low security places, perhaps running away while on work detail when the one guard looking over 12 men, goes to use the bathroom.

And where is your proof that the SGC personnel are greens and not battle hardened veterans? Regardless of experience, they are put through a LOT of training, and they've had to contend with a lot since the attack on Icarus and coming onto the ship.

In short, stop believing everything you see on TV.
                      Destiny is a huge spaceship not a prison and is as low security as it goes when compared to a maximum security prison. And Destiny didn't appear to have any full body shackles that prisons use. Should two guards been assigned to him, yes. Could one highly trained person still get the jump on two marine guards, yes. That is why there are escapes and successful surgical strikes. People get tired and they can get lax and sometimes sloppy. This is a TV show. How many times has Jack O'Neill and John Sheppard escaped?
                      Last edited by Blackhole; 18 November 2010, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        Armed and ready for the Lucian Alliance in Incursion. Simeon had the element of surprise in Malice
                        True dat. Plus this time simeon was fully armed. IIRC of clips we saw in Incursion, he only had a pistol.

No less unrealistic than two redshirt Wraith getting downed by Shepperd or something.
                        Or the many times we saw SG1 waltzing through a Hat'ak downing guards.

Indeed, not to mention we don't know how large Destiny is so many corridors could be empty enough for him to find the right route to go undetected for a while.
                        And we don't know how far a gunshot travels on the ship.

They should have had their guns out and taking cover. It kinda puts a lie to what Young said about them being skilled and trained for this.
                        That it did.. And they imo should have paid with their lives for their stupidity.

He wasn't even a particularly good shot, missing the main characters several times when he had all the time in the world to line up initial shots on them from ambush.
                        What it looked like is he was shooting to get them to stop following him. You see how easily he wingged greer.

he killed two kinos
                        Only 1.

Also when he shoots the marine outside the gateroom, he emerges ( nicely dramatically ) from smoke. What trick did he pull there?
                        Smoke grenades

He's probably been sneaking around in the shadows against the snakeheads since he could first pick up a weapon and on the front lines of inter faction conflicts within the LA. Coupled with being a relatively fresh and highly motivated, he probably held back a lot.
                        He must have won trophy after trophy on his home planet, in hide and sneak

massive +1 there.. Heck, i think (IN adnd terms) he took 10 levels of badass and the PRC of Supreme buttwhuper.

Comment

Originally posted by Detox View Post
                          During his rampage through destiny, he managed to take down 5 marines, killing 2 of them, and managed to wound 3 more military personnel on the planet.

The entire Lucian Alliance Incursion ended with only a few wounded military personnel and 2 dead marines.

The crew seemed to have suffered more casualties from one Lucian Alliance soldier than they did from a whole invading force of them.

That seems that a pretty unrealistic contrivance to further a story that honestly shouldn't have happened.

Seriously, it was ridiculous how quickly those marines were being dropped by a single guy with a pistol.
                          Getting shot will do that, whether it's a single guy with a pistol or a whole bunch of them. During the incursion, people are expecting a fight. They are armed and aware and usually hiding. In regular life aboard Destiny, the crew don't usually go around lurking behind stuff so they don't get shot so yeah, one guy with a gun, acting suddenly and without warning, is going to manage to kill a few people. Unrealistic? I'd have to say that it's sadly realistic, as episode after episode of real life mass shootings and school shootings can unfortunately attest to.
                          sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by wolverine_nl View Post
                            Who is to say the best marines were on Destiny? Plus the element of surprise...anything is possible....I say: Plausible.
                            Except that there was no surprise. When Sheppard or Jack takes down stormtroopers, the guards don't know they are coming because they aren't even aware they are in the area.

The thing people are forgetting here, is that the marines had ample warning. Over the radio they easily heard that Ginn was attacked, and then later declared dead, and that all the LA members had been locked down and were accounted for, except Simeon. And then the lights go out (how a single shot can take out all the lights in the area is beyond me).

Tell me, in that situation, would you continue to stand there like an idiot if you were guarding something important like the armory or guard room? Or would you, I dunno, assume that Simeon *may* be the cause, and thus it might be a good idea to make sure you are prepared, perhaps by taking a bit of cover?

Comment

Originally posted by spinny magee View Post
                              You know....it's not like he's a Jaffa or Stormtrooper...he can aim.
                              Both Rush and Simoen had terrible aim at the end in the final shootout scene.
                              Rush wasted a bunch of bullets.

Comment

The accuracy of shots is directionally proportional to the importance of the plot at that time.

The original stormtroopers in Star Wars were shown to be clones from a highly skilled bounty hunter... yet they constantly miss things they aim at. The plot demanded that Simeon get off the ship with stuff from the armory, so he's going to take down things in one hit.

And let's be clear, very rarely are you dead instantly from a shot to your chest; even if the guards had been taken by surprise, they should have been able to still fire a shot or two while laying there. You'll notice it's only goons who go down in one hit, but major characters are only injured and still able to talk and move after being shot; Greer was, after all.

In short, bad writing.

Comment

Working...
                                X