No announcement yet.

Rush willing to sacrifice the remaining crew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked the end of the ep showing Rush in his room unable to sleep. He perhaps fears that the insight and compassion he kind in the trip through his memories is slipping away. I wonder if Young maybe was like Rush long ago, but years and years of making the rational decision turned him into the wreck he is now. Though I suppose hat might not be entirely possible since the soldiers would trust him then, or at least would be so loyal to him.

Comment

Originally posted by blackluster View Post
      I liked the end of the ep showing Rush in his room unable to sleep. He perhaps fears that the insight and compassion he kind in the trip through his memories is slipping away. I wonder if Young maybe was like Rush long ago, but years and years of making the rational decision turned him into the wreck he is now. Though I suppose hat might not be entirely possible since the soldiers would trust him then, or at least would be so loyal to him.
      I tend to think that also - that Young could make those kinds of calls once, and now can't. More parallels between the characters. After "Human" and also "Sabotage", when we see that side of him through Perry, Rush is more closely tied to the crew and now those choices Rush has made may also make a wreck of him.
      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Yes. 3 lives is less then the ship and everyone stranded on that planet.
        Don't forget to include Wray. She was in the infirmary with TJ

Comment

Originally posted by SciFiRick View Post
          Don't forget to include Wray. She was in the infirmary with TJ
          Wray doesn't count. Because her presence was unknown to Rush
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Rush knew. Scott reported back about TJ and Wray over the radio, as I recall. Plus there were at least three others Rush also knew had to be out there somewhere.

Comment

I would have done exactly what Rush did. Although a few of the crew's most valuable members may have been lost [ i.e TJ, Scott, e.tc] , he was ultimately acting for the greater good - which was to protect the lives of those in the lab so that most of the crew , which was on the planet could be brought back to the ship [ instead of remaining on the planet where their abiity to survive was in great question] He ultimately would have surrendered the lives of a few to save the ship [ home] for the large remaining portion of team Destiny.
              Last edited by smart; 02 October 2010, 05:33 PM.
              Abbas Karimjee
              www.abbaskarimjee.wordpress.com
              The latest Stargate Atlantis, SG1 , Universe , movies and the future of Stargate news.

Comment

Originally posted by smart View Post
                I would have done exactly what Rush did. Although a few of the crew's most valuable members may have been lossed [ i.e TJ, Scott, e.tc] , he was ultimately acting for the greater good - which was to protect the lives of those in the lab so that most of the crew , which was on the planet could be brought back to the ship [ instead of remaining on the planet where their abiity to survive was in great question] He ultimately would have surrendered the lives of a few to save the ship [ home] for the large remaining portion of team Destiny.
                I agree. I also tend to think that Rush knew that faced with an the choice of surrendering the ship to the crew or dying, knowing that either way Rush would win, those amongst the Alliance would crack & take action to remove Danic from command before he killed them all (I loved how the little nerdy LA woman, the red head whom was victimised & terrorised by Danic was the one whom murdered him in order to survive). I think it also shows the dyanmics amongst the Lucian Alliance personell, such as Varro's concern for T.J., that not all the Lucian Alliance are cold-hearted murderers (toough & willing to fight & die yes, but not stupid or exceedingly cruel).

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                  I tend to think that also - that Young could make those kinds of calls once, and now can't. More parallels between the characters. After "Human" and also "Sabotage", when we see that side of him through Perry, Rush is more closely tied to the crew and now those choices Rush has made may also make a wreck of him.
                  On the rewatch of it sat night here in Okinawa, i distinctly remember seeing him almost have a lip tremble in that 'sitting on his bed' scene. I also remember hearing him say i am sorry, just before giving the word...

Comment

yes, it's definitely not something he could fire off without batting an eye any longer
                    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

It's interesting to point out that Rush was only forced to make this call, because Young himself couldn't. If Young had made the call to risk Telford's life way earlier, than Rush wouldn't have ultimately been in a position to risk 4 lives. So no matter what side you're on, if you think badly of Rush for this, then you have to think badly of Young's actions.

I think that's why there is more support for Rush here. As much as you may not like the guy, he's been pretty much right about everything. He knew Young couldn't make the hard calls, and all his decisions so far have been the right ones.

Of course, that's minus the very first one that put them all on Destiny in the first place, heh. No matter how much I like Rush as a character, that was a pretty dick move, even if I understand it.

Comment

Kai,

Not the decision to frame Young. That's wasn't cool. He may have believe it necessary but that doesn't make it right.
                        All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Rush was dead right. There is no arguing this. Anyone not willing to do it themselves or at least not capable of seeing Rush's decision as the only correct one is unfit for command (read: Young).

Because let me ask you this: If the Lucian Alliance had not surrendered, how many non-LA people would've died? 4. If Young had vented the atmosphere immediately when the Lucian Alliance arrived on the ship, how many non-LA members would've died? One (two if Rush's brain had still been in Telford's body). How many people did die due to Young's blatant disregard for military protocol, command protocol and common sense? Too many to count.

If Young had done what he was supposed to do in the first place, only a few would've died and it would not have been a certainty, anyway. Vent the friggin' atmosphere, wait until they're all unconscious or near unconscious and then enter and restrain them all. Anyone with half a brain would've realized that that was the only way to go.

Comment

Well.. We had the one Kiva killed (assassinated) in the gate room to prove her point. 2-3 in the hallways and iirc 2 in the med bay.

Comment

I believe no one should be condemned for not wanting to kill an innocent person no matter who or how many might die. I know Young is in command and has be trained to sacrifice the few for the many but it's his decision. I also don't condemn what Rush was willing to as he thought it was the right thing to do.

I was talking to a friend at uni and asked him would you kill one innocent person in order to stop 20 from being murdered and he said no he wouldn't. He said it was one of his morals never to kill another person, it doesn't matter weather 20 will die because some one killed them and wouldn't done so if you had killed another. You are not responsible for there deaths so no one can condemn you for not killing the on IMHO.

I might not refuse to kill one to save many but that's MY decision and should I not tell others how to act no matter how much I disagree with them. If you can't refuse to kill some one then what can you refuse to do?

Comment

It depends on how you do the math. It's not just keep the status quo. The LA folks have knowledge and resources that might benefit the overall mission. At a minimum it's more red shirts. Which given the remote, no home team has access to replenish it's people (or resources) nature, is an issue. They might not be the home team, but they are people where there might otherwise be none. Despite the starvation aspect, once the current crew dies or attritions out to planets in route, that's it, Destiny will once again be unmanned. So yes Youngs choice didn't benefit the home team, but I would hazard a guess that it will ultimately prove valueable to the mission. Or at least a slightly better plot than feed me seamore?

Comment

Working...
                                X