Rush willing to sacrifice the remaining crew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SGeff View Post
    this is a right thing to do as a leader, if Young had done it earlier there would be only one man dead, Telford.
    If Young had given it more thought then Telford could have likely been saved, but then there would have been no drama.

Comment

are we discussing Intervention or rehashing Incursion?
      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
        are we discussing Intervention or rehashing Incursion?
        Intervention is the conclusion to Incursion. We are discussing what transpired, the actions of the characters and their consequences. Any cogent discussion requires a proper context.

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
          It wasn't even a matter of Young having to sacrifice Telford. All he had to do was vent atmosphere from the gate room, wait for everyone in there to pass out, then restore the life support, get Telford and put the LA in a secure room before they wake up. When you are deprived of oxygen you don't die the second you pass out. This was the one big thing that bothered me in Incursion as the solution seemed so simple and sacrifice-free.
          Your forgetting a key element of SGU. These people are not heroes, at least not yet. These people don't belong here. And Young should not be the leader, Telford should be. Young couldn't think fast enough and didn't have time to think. Rush had more time in his choice, however Rush would have killed Telford without hesitation if it meant saving the ship. Thats what Rush has known for a long time...Young shouldn't be the leader.

(Right now I don't know enough about Telford to say if he is a good enough leader, but he prob be better then Young)

As to Rush willing to kill scott and the others, well, we all know Rush is a cold hearted person. Which isn't a bad thing, in fact I would make the same choice (though it would kill me), but you have to think about everything thats at stake. Rush is able to do that. And look at his face. He clearly didn't want these people to die. He knew there value. But he also knew what needed to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Blistna View Post
            Your forgetting a key element of SGU. These people are not heroes, at least not yet. These people don't belong here. And Young should not be the leader, Telford should be. Young couldn't think fast enough and didn't have time to think. Rush had more time in his choice, however Rush would have killed Telford without hesitation if it meant saving the ship. Thats what Rush has known for a long time...Young shouldn't be the leader.

(Right now I don't know enough about Telford to say if he is a good enough leader, but he prob be better then Young)

As to Rush willing to kill scott and the others, well, we all know Rush is a cold hearted person. Which isn't a bad thing, in fact I would make the same choice (though it would kill me), but you have to think about everything thats at stake. Rush is able to do that. And look at his face. He clearly didn't want these people to die. He knew there value. But he also knew what needed to be done.
            I agree with everything you have said except that Rush is a cold hearted person. Since Human I think his heart has thawed considerably. He is very pragmatic and is able to make the tough decisions when necessary. Young is psychologically wounded with PTSD. He is a very honorable man but unfortunately, no longer possesses the psychological stability to continue in command.
            Last edited by Blackhole; 01 October 2010, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Now that Telford is on board I imagine Young will attempt to step aside. I also think O'Neill will refuse the offer of resignation prefering to have Telford remain as a mole for Young among the Lucians.
              All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                Now that Telford is on board I imagine Young will attempt to step aside. I also think O'Neill will refuse the offer of resignation prefering to have Telford remain as a mole for Young among the Lucians.
                Excellent Point! That would be a very wise tactical action if he plans to integrate them back into the crew.

Comment

I will enjoy to see how Young crumbles and comes back up. He has shown poor judgement on many occasions now, so I hope they wont make him the Leader again next episode. With the LA on board that could be difficult.

I wouldnt consider Rush cold hearted, he simply thinks logical and numbers dont lie. If he wouldn't care he sure could have come up with a easier way to get the LA. If neccesarry venting Athmosphere all over.
                  Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                  Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
                  There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Sometimes I think eli is an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by koroush47 View Post
                      Sometimes I think eli is an idiot.
                      i think he is not an idiot he is just naive and scared of the decisions who have to be made
                      sigpic

Comment

Eli is very young and inexperienced. It shows. He's learning, unfortunately, frequently the hard way.
                        All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
                          All Young had to do was order the stones immediately disconnected as soon as the gate connected. That would have take Rush's life out of the equation.
                          Very true.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                            Very good thought. A lot of people probably know about the brainwashing cure that Young performed and keeping everyone quiet may be challenging.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
                              I agree with everything you have said except that Rush is a cold hearted person. Since Human I think his heart has thawed considerably. He is very pragmatic and is able to make the tough decisions when necessary. Young is psychologically wounded with PSSD. He is a very honorable man but unfortunately, no longer possesses the psychological stability to continue in command.
                              Thats true, Rush is a cold person for a reason, and he has brightened up some. However, I still believe him to be a cold hearted person -- but in a good way. Not in the way he was from the start of the show, but someone who can make hard choices like sacrificing someone and keeping his composer (although, in this episode, he almost lost it. I mean, really, look at his face. You could tell he didn't want them dead).

But we can agree to disagree!

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                                This.

I find it interesting people were trying to portray Young as not stupid for refusing to risk one life to save everyone else. And then turn around and say Rush was brilliant for being willing to sacrifice 3-4 others to save the rest. I mean, there was still a chance Telford still could have been saved when the LA boarded. But a radiation pulse was basically going to kill everyone.

So, which is it? Is Young bad for refusing to risk one life and trying to save everyone? Or is Rush bad for making the call to sacrifice 3-4 people to save the rest?

On the sliding scale of cynicism vs. idealism, I think we can safely say where SGU falls now: cynicism. There is no place for idealism in this universe, since Rush was right and Young was wrong.
                                I thought Young flinched and didn't do what was necessary. Which was to only partially vent the atmosphere in the gate-room and a adjoining room, enough to incapacitate but not kill them. Then go in with the suits and tie them all up while they're knocked out.

Comment

Working...
                                X