X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is what i said.

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post

Has there ever been any indication that the "mission" would be completed in the next couple of years, or even in the lifetime of anyone currently on the crew? If the mission is supposed to take another X millions of years, then without a constant, reliable connection between Destiny and constant re-supply from Earth I'd say they're crazy to go on.
      The mission was designed to and has taken millions of years, with those sort of timescales involved it seems pointless to think it will end soon BUT I vaguely recall at some point JM saying that now there are people on board Destiny it can be completed a lot faster. Not entirely sure what that means though, maybe Destiny needs to process certain stuff through the mind of a crew member?

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
        The mission was designed to and has taken millions of years, with those sort of timescales involved it seems pointless to think it will end soon BUT I vaguely recall at some point JM saying that now there are people on board Destiny it can be completed a lot faster. Not entirely sure what that means though, maybe Destiny needs to process certain stuff through the mind of a crew member?
        Does Destiny work by itself or does whatever Rush tells it too?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
          Does Destiny work by itself or does whatever Rush tells it too?
          the Destiny controls itself ie the countdown timer and Rush controls it when he wants it to make a slight detour and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
            the Destiny controls itself ie the countdown timer and Rush controls it when he wants it to make a slight detour and stuff.
            so what is he waiting for? cant he just go wherever destiny needs to be.
            sigpic

Comment

so what is he waiting for? cant he just go wherever destiny needs to be.
              he's not waited around yet.

wherever destiny's going, it's a long way off. supplies are needed for the mission, and now that rush doesn't have sole control of the bridge he no longer has sole control of the ship. he can't oppose young on things that aren't needed for the mission, however he has displayed an ability to delay the ship for the benefit of the mission when a number of the crew were off destiny and he stopped the ship to dial back for them.

he's acted for the benefit of the mission, and he has his whole life ahead of him. plenty of time.
              Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
                he's not waited around yet.

wherever destiny's going, it's a long way off. supplies are needed for the mission, and now that rush doesn't have sole control of the bridge he no longer has sole control of the ship. he can't oppose young on things that aren't needed for the mission, however he has displayed an ability to delay the ship for the benefit of the mission when a number of the crew were off destiny and he stopped the ship to dial back for them.

he's acted for the benefit of the mission, and he has his whole life ahead of him. plenty of time.
                feels a little unfair for Rush to not tell us what Destiny is after and how it plans to use the info it gets to develop a super weapon. Why does Destiny even need the crew?
                sigpic

Comment

feels a little unfair for Rush to not tell us what Destiny is after and how it plans to use the info it gets to develop a super weapon. Why does Destiny even need the crew?
                  he has, and it's not a weapon.

god code, cosmic background radiation. not a weapon. and the ancients ascended before they could come to destiny.

it's all in the aired episodes, none of it is new info.

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
                    he has, and it's not a weapon.

god code, cosmic background radiation. not a weapon. and the ancients ascended before they could come to destiny.

it's all in the aired episodes, none of it is new info.
                    for you its a god code, for me its a weapon. All this so he can ascend and bring his dead wife with him? Or to rule over earth with an iron fist? lol
                    sigpic

Comment

well if it's a weapon, i don't think he needs it to ascend, since he could have done that already if he wanted. earth knows where Kheb is, after all.

i say god code because... well.. it's an indication of an intelligent design or construct to the universe. it's pretty much said in the episode when the bomb is put on earth. from the transcript:

TELFORD: I've got to head back, but she's coming on board. She'll want a post mortem on this latest fiasco, but what she's really interested in is Rush's little signal from God.

RUSH (irritated): I never called it that.

TELFORD: Well, that's what a lot of them are calling it back home. It's created a bit of a stir.
                      RUSH: I know that you were offered Icarus before they gave it to me, and I know you turned it down. You couldn't see the potential.

COVEL: I thought it was a bunch of mythological mumbo jumbo about the gods and ultimate understanding!

RUSH: Yeah, well, this proves you wrong.

COVEL: We are talking about evidence of an intelligence present at the beginning of time.

RUSH: Yeah.

COVEL: Now, you can deny it all you like; they're gonna call it proof of the existence of God
                      god isn't my inference, it's the word being used on the show.

Comment

Knowledge is power, what its used for is the real motivation. Maybe Rush doesnt care about the safety of the crew because he knows he will be able to reverse time or change things back to the way they were? There is no such thing for a character to merely pursue something so audaciously just so he can know how the universe started, thats not a realistic motivation I think. There is something behind it, some need he has that this mission fulfils.
                        sigpic

Comment

Knowledge is power, what its used for is the real motivation. Maybe Rush doesnt care about the safety of the crew because he knows he will be able to reverse time or change things back to the way they were? There is no such thing for a character to merely pursue something so audaciously just so he can know how the universe started, thats not a realistic motivation I think. There is something behind it, some need he has that this mission fulfils.
                          really? meaning of life just isn't good enough?

there are many people who don't want or need power.

he has no idea what he'll get at the end of the road - and of course, if he were to put time back the way it was, then there's no series really.

knowledge isn't always power - for example, knowing the cd charts or whatever doesn't give power. even if the knowledge rush seeks could lead to power, he's had enough opportunity in his life to go for power without being on destiny - instead, he's working in a public sector job which can't become public knowledge. a good example of what i mean is when carter put herself into (yet another) alternate universe, and contacted mckay to help her get home. he was rich and famous, because he was working private sector. rush knows how to get power... if he wanted it, he wouldn't have wasted so much time on something that may or may not have even worked.

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                            they don't need him if they are stranded on a planet, they need him while they are on the ship though
                            Only because he is and has been withholding information. The sooner Rush dies the better they'll be in the long run.

Comment

Rush isn't hiding anything at the moment. He was, but that's past.

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                                Only because he is and has been withholding information. The sooner Rush dies the better they'll be in the long run.
                                probably not - eli's smart, but he lacks the experience. the rest of the scientists have the experience, but aren't as smart. rush has both in his favour

Comment

Working...
                                X