This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LordRush View Post
    Yea I was like look theres a statue of Young. It reminded me a statue of Jayne from firefly.
    Is it just me or does that statue really not look like Young? At least he had more hair...
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
      Is it just me or does that statue really not look like Young? At least he had more hair...
      i had to check the nametag too, though i've yet to see a statue - especially one that must be nearly 2000 years old - that looks like a perfect image of the guy it represents
      Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Hair is hard to sculpt.

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
          actually to be fair about it, the novus story couldn't have gone on for so long as you suggest.

destiny has a mission to go forward, young feels he has a mission to get people home if possible, and if not then he's prepared to work with destiny's mission. sooner or later, assuming the they'd have had to make a decision - progress forwards, or settle down. progressing forwards may, potentially, yield a means to go home - while it's unlikely that novus has anything that can help, and settling down would mean giving up.

you've mentioned elsewhere about how they haven't integrated the novus survivors into the crew - well they weren't dumped off anywhere, that i noticed. they couldn't be left on novus, and they didn't know where novus was planning to settle. their own colony world doesn't have a gate any more. they're on board destiny for the moment, and foreseeable future.

how the drones found them was already covered - in common descent, eli and rush both stated the gate was used as a tracking mechanism. there's not much more that can be said than was said - gate = massive power in subspace, easy to track.

building on the relationship of the two sides (we don't know how many cities there were) isn't going to do anything at all for SGU's overarching storyline, nor is it going to develop the characters in the eyes of the viewer. i'll agree that i'm not sure how much of the latter was done anyway, however as it is the viewer gets to see 'what might have been.'

as for who ended up with who - volker died before that could happen, and TJ didn't last long. in volker's case, it shows what he would have suffered, while in TJ's case there's probably a future storyline that was planned down the road that would have taken in her disease. when and how is anyone's guess, or even if, however there's at least one possible story that could be developed - and it's even relevant to the actual crew, rather than their random and numerous descendants.

SGU has, imho, made a good few mistakes along the way - but cutting novus 'short' isn't one of them. even if the crew had been able and willing to stick around for a half-season or so with it, viewers would have become a little restless, wondering why destiny's mission is suddenly non-existent.
          Sure the Novus story arc could have been going on for much longer, noone says it had to be a main focus of the series like Destinys mission doesnt need to be the main focus but can be pushed abit into the back for awhile., look at SG-1 look at SG-A, look at BSG and a ton of other shows A good writer uses small things to keep the show interesting also if the main mission should be the main focus they could finish that in 3-4 episodes and then end the show.

Also i didn´t mention the Novus survivers, but i didn´t count them in since they will probaly not be more then a sidenote and if anything they will be forgot the next episode.

Eli and Rush speculated on how they could have found them but they have no idea, also that idea would fit poorly in with the last episode and first of this season so it seems like a cheap trick from the writers to finish that arc quickly.

Anything to do with novus and their cities would have been something to do with Destiny, since they were build by decendents from destiny and thereby leaving a whole arc open, Technology, Faith, Belief, the complex relationship between Rush, Eli and Young or the Military/scientist arc could have been used , in fact they could have made a spinoff show of all that and with so many possibilties it seems like such a let down that they just focused on how many kids and who laid who, and Volker is not that importent imhop.

TJ´s disease is a poor thing to get out of Novus and Common and Epi.

So SGU did fail with this like it did with so many other episodes before that and also its funny how Novus turned into a world with x-number of cities when the people in VISITATION couldn´t even build a shelter to keep out the cold and it was pretty much the same kind of minds and knowledge both places and "visitation" they even had a shuttle.

Also if you have watched SG-1 and BSG you can see that there is one main story arc, and the entire season they have multiple minor and more major story lines which either run side by side with the main for a entire season or for a few episodes.

So conclusion is that SGU again missed the boat and its really a pain because again they showed promise with Common just to burn it all on some sick soap twitch which makes you think about Days of your live or Glamour or Dollars then a SG franchise.

Comment

Hi all.

Apologies I did not read all the posts and came right here. Knowing "Common Decent" and "Epilogue" are actually a two-parters. I deliberately waited until I got the two episodes and watch back-to-back. I think you have to, and it actually turn out to be like a mini-movie experience.

I also like the fact they actually explained where the rest of the alternate crew went through the Stargate, or rather, when.

Best SGU episodes, ever!! Yes, all the mix of touching emotions, stories, effects etc. I think what was most interesting and very intriguing and make good scifi stories is seeing people grow old, and passing one generation to another… I also like the last scene where the little village grew into a modern city in 2000 years, and you see a ship taking off.

Agree with a lot of you here that these two episodes could have made as the final two episodes, and leave us there… I don't really mind… it's like you know the decedents actually survive and left the planet.

Remind me a bit, remember in one episode in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, the Defiant fell back in time and a new alternate generation grew up? Only that generation did not really exist when Defiant corrected its mistakes and didn't go back in time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacdru View Post
              Sure the Novus story arc could have been going on for much longer, noone says it had to be a main focus of the series like Destinys mission doesnt need to be the main focus but can be pushed abit into the back for awhile., look at SG-1 look at SG-A, look at BSG and a ton of other shows A good writer uses small things to keep the show interesting also if the main mission should be the main focus they could finish that in 3-4 episodes and then end the show.
              This is not how any narrative works. You don't just abandon the main plot to go explore some other aspect of the universe unless it in some way relates to the main plot. Novus has zero importance to the story arc other than its purpose as a device to provide insight into the characters and to provide crucial supplies to keep the narrative going.

Also i didn´t mention the Novus survivers, but i didn´t count them in since they will probaly not be more then a sidenote and if anything they will be forgot the next episode.
              Which would be ridiculous. They haven't gone anywhere. They still need to be dropped off. SGU has been good about resolving the previous episodes.

Eli and Rush speculated on how they could have found them but they have no idea, also that idea would fit poorly in with the last episode and first of this season so it seems like a cheap trick from the writers to finish that arc quickly.
              This makes no sense. Eli and Rush drew a logical conclusion based on available data. You're trying to diminish that for no good reason.

Anything to do with novus and their cities would have been something to do with Destiny, since they were build by decendents from destiny and thereby leaving a whole arc open, Technology, Faith, Belief, the complex relationship between Rush, Eli and Young or the Military/scientist arc could have been used , in fact they could have made a spinoff show of all that and with so many possibilties it seems like such a let down that they just focused on how many kids and who laid who, and Volker is not that importent imhop.
              Not true. Novus had nothing to do with Destiny as it is, only a spinoff crew. Their beliefs, customs, etc. in no way build on the show's story arc and thus do not deserve the kind of focus you want. As you suggest, it would only be appropriate as a spinoff, and that wouldn't happen even if the show were popular enough for another season.

TJ´s disease is a poor thing to get out of Novus and Common and Epi.
              But it's relevant to the story. Nothing else is.

So SGU did fail with this like it did with so many other episodes before that and also its funny how Novus turned into a world with x-number of cities when the people in VISITATION couldn´t even build a shelter to keep out the cold and it was pretty much the same kind of minds and knowledge both places and "visitation" they even had a shuttle.
              There were a dozen people on Eden, most of whom were not engineers, and who got screwed by a coming winter. Novus had 80ish people including engineers and a lot of laborers.

Also if you have watched SG-1 and BSG you can see that there is one main story arc, and the entire season they have multiple minor and more major story lines which either run side by side with the main for a entire season or for a few episodes.
              Which are relevant to the main arc. Novus is not.

So conclusion is that SGU again missed the boat and its really a pain because again they showed promise with Common just to burn it all on some sick soap twitch which makes you think about Days of your live or Glamour or Dollars then a SG franchise.
              This shows a fundamental misunderstanding of what the episode is trying to present. It's a "what could have been" scenario. You're inflating into something it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormtrooper View Post
                Liked the episode until Destiny inexplicably couldn't track down those Novan evacuation ships en route to their new destination.

It would also have been cool if Young & Co. had found a way to integrate their rescued descendants into Destiny's crew. The ship's huge and they definitely could use the help, but no.

6/10
                it kind of ended before we got a chance to see either of these being implemented.

Comment

Liked the episode until Destiny inexplicably couldn't track down those Novan evacuation ships en route to their new destination.

It would also have been cool if Young & Co. had found a way to integrate their rescued descendants into Destiny's crew. The ship's huge and they definitely could use the help, but no.

6/10
                  It would be the smart thing to do at this point. The ship needs a crew, they have lost quite a few people along the way, this would be the perfect opportunity to gain some needed manpower.
                  sigpic
                  LordRush - "Battle stations!" "Marines, Kree!"

Comment

Originally posted by LordRush View Post
                    It would be the smart thing to do at this point. The ship needs a crew, they have lost quite a few people along the way, this would be the perfect opportunity to gain some needed manpower.
                    Not enough food?

Comment

Great episode and one of my favourites. I don't know why I enjoyed it so much but.... I just did. Here's to Blockade!
                      sigpic

Comment

To quote Hitcher Hikers guide. "Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is."

The odds of them finding those ships would be like looking for a specific pebble somewhere between here and Pluto.

Comment

so apparently this is the only sgu episode that gateworld gave a four star rating.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                            This is not how any narrative works. You don't just abandon the main plot to go explore some other aspect of the universe unless it in some way relates to the main plot. Novus has zero importance to the story arc other than its purpose as a device to provide insight into the characters and to provide crucial supplies to keep the narrative going.

Which would be ridiculous. They haven't gone anywhere. They still need to be dropped off. SGU has been good about resolving the previous episodes.

This makes no sense. Eli and Rush drew a logical conclusion based on available data. You're trying to diminish that for no good reason.

Not true. Novus had nothing to do with Destiny as it is, only a spinoff crew. Their beliefs, customs, etc. in no way build on the show's story arc and thus do not deserve the kind of focus you want. As you suggest, it would only be appropriate as a spinoff, and that wouldn't happen even if the show were popular enough for another season.

But it's relevant to the story. Nothing else is.

There were a dozen people on Eden, most of whom were not engineers, and who got screwed by a coming winter. Novus had 80ish people including engineers and a lot of laborers.

Which are relevant to the main arc. Novus is not.

This shows a fundamental misunderstanding of what the episode is trying to present. It's a "what could have been" scenario. You're inflating into something it isn't.
                            You're just looking at the big picture. By the way, the Novus Crew IS the crew whose adventures we have been watching since Time. Don't you care how SGU ended for them? The "new" crew are of course, the same. Thus, if Novus Crew=New Crew then they are equal. Both the Novus Story and the new story are equal in importance since they're the same crew with different adventures. Just 2 different versions of how SGU ended. You can't say that the Novus Crew were not important to the show when we have been enjoying their adventures from Time to Twin Destinies!
                            "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                              You're just looking at the big picture. By the way, the Novus Crew IS the crew whose adventures we have been watching since Time. Don't you care how SGU ended for them? The "new" crew are of course, the same. Thus, if Novus Crew=New Crew then they are equal. Both the Novus Story and the new story are equal in importance since they're the same crew with different adventures. Just 2 different versions of how SGU ended. You can't say that the Novus Crew were not important to the show when we have been enjoying their adventures from Time to Twin Destinies!
                              No, the Novus crew is an alternate crew who ceased to be the main crew as soon as they stepped through the gate. They stopped being relevant right after that. The crew on Destiny is the focus of the story. The crew on Novus are just a side-story to be resolved in a couple of episodes. No matter how badly you want it, they do not matter to the story beyond their ability to provide insight to the crew that is actually important.

Comment

ADAM: All these kids, laughing and dancing. Everybody dancing, tearing up my lawn. When I was a kid, we had more respect for peop...
                                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Working...
                                X