Who Cares?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Browncoat1984 View Post
    I do care because I'm used to shows ending on cliffhangers. I mean, I've also seen shows that did NOT end on cliffhangers that had terrible finales that still left me wanting more - Star Trek Voyager and Enterprise come to mind. Just because a show doesn't have a true ending doesn't mean its not a good show. Terminator: The Sarah Connor chronicles also ended on a HUGE cliffhanger after it was canceled after season 2 - probably a bigger cliffhanger than SGU will end on, but that series never got resolution, unless you count Terminator: Salvation (which I don't since it doesn't acknowledge TSCC at all).

The difference between a show ending on a cliffhanger and one ending on a true finale is this: with a cliffhanger you will get fans always writing about what could have been. With a finale, you get fans writing about what SHOULD have been. The aforementioned Star Trek Voyager and Enterprise come to mind as shows that have had very weak finales that did not please fans much at all. Also Lost and Battlestar Galactica come to mine -there are people like me who are okay with both shows finales and there are those who hate the endings of both shows, especially Lost.

I will take every new second of Stargate I can get, even if it means SGU ending on a cliffhanger, but I would think that if MGM wants to continue with the franchise they would want to give the producers SOMETHING to conclude it on because how do you come up with a new series when your last one never ended (Atlantis doesn't really count since it was more open-ended like SG-1, the only really burning question the finale left isn't what happened to the Wraith, since we all know that would end one day, but does Atlantis go back to the Pegasus galaxy), other than completely rebooting the franchise - while Star Trek was at that point, I definitely don't feel that Stargate is at the point that it needs any kind of reboot yet. Now, if they do a fourth series and that meets a short end like SGU did THEN I would say its time to shelve it for a few and reboot - and if and when that happens they shouldn't erase everything IMO but should ALWAYS use the original movie as a starting point.

I take issue with a couple of things you said.

1. Voyager's ending wasn't weak they got home, wasn't that the point of the show?? it would have been weaker to have them just cruising through space with no resolution.

2. Battlestar's ending was great, they found Earth ( or at least our version of it ). I think that was one the best endings of a sci fi show ever. The 13th tribe turns out to be cylons and ruined so they find another planet, our Earth from the past. loved that twist so definately not a weak ending IMO.

lastly i agree lost could have ended better but there were too many loose ends to tie up on that show. any finale would have been weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Browncoat1984 View Post
      The difference between a show ending on a cliffhanger and one ending on a true finale is this: with a cliffhanger you will get fans always writing about what could have been. With a finale, you get fans writing about what SHOULD have been.
      This is an interesting point, and there is a part of me that actually thinks I might be ok (given I'm only getting my 2 seasons and no more) if the show ends on some sort of cliffhanger where I can use my imagination to fill in a future where Destiny and her crew continue on, having some sort of long grand adventure, and maybe eventually coming home. It can end however I want it, in that case.
      sigpic
      Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Not really. I mean sure I would have liked to see more, but TV shows end in cliffhangers all the time, either due to cancellation or by choice (mostly due to the former). Not a big deal and plenty of other shows out there to watch.
        sigpic

Comment

I've been with Stargate since 1997 and I'm going to see this through to the end.

I don't like talking about the whole concept of a "true" fan, but in this context, I'd say that anyone who was really a fan of Stargate, and not just another casual viewer, would watch the final episodes.

I mean, if you're willing to cast off a show you've been watching for 10+ years because of some cancelation news, how dedicated of a fan are you really?

(Again, I don't support the whole "true" fan concept, but in this context it sort of works.)
          sigpic
          ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Don't care one bit whether this is the last season or another 10 season started of boring and still bloody boring.
            sigpic

Comment

The thought of not watching the last 10 SGU eps never crossed my mind. I haven't loved all of it and am probably more sad to see the end of Stargate than SGU specifically, but given that, of course I will watch the last ones!!
              sigpic

Comment

Stay true till the end, been watching since 1997, i still have the original SG-1 on VHS tapes from T4 on Sundays (UK)

I loved Atlantis, i love SGU, the entire premise of the show is still exciting to me, so i will keep watching and the hell to all the naysaysers that tried to boycott it.

N.C

Comment

I care... but im not gonna throw the baby out with the bath water.
                  sigpic

Comment

I sort of took a hiatus from TV in general from 1997 to 2003. So I can't really say that I've watched from the beginning. Plus pre-1997 was on rabbit ears of the OLD analog broadcasts. Bottom floor of a 3 story brick building so no reception or a ghosted reception / double exposure. PBS was about as good as it got.

Now that TV is digital and I have a pay service, and other things. I can't not watch relative to the rest of the junk on. I can watch SGU, or someone sitting in a chair too small for them talking about something they know nothing about. Not much of a choice IMO. At least it's NEW content, which I can't say about 99% of the rest of Television. At least for the next 9 weeks anyway.

Comment

I still care. I've been enjoying the show, and plan to watch it till the end.
                      sigpic

Find your Destiny

Comment

I look forward to watching the final 10, but I will admit that I am not as excited about new episodes as I was before. Knowing the show has been canceled, and that it will end on a cliffhanger, has effectively taken the proverbial wind out of the equally proverbial sails.

@SupremeLegate
                        Apogee Institute
                        Council

Congito, ergo sum - congito

Comment

I really did find this episode boring, too much side tracking from the main storyline.
                          This season needs to have at least some major discovery about the meaning of life stuff, or Ill probably stop watching it half way through this season.

Comment

Well, we're already half way through the season

I saw ships exploding, exciting enough for me.

And I still really care, or to quote Rush completely out of context: "More and more every day". When the Ursini died I made a face just like Telford.
                            Poor little guys

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                              The thought of not watching the last 10 SGU eps never crossed my mind. I haven't loved all of it and am probably more sad to see the end of Stargate than SGU specifically, but given that, of course I will watch the last ones!!
                              Yep
                              I am not an SGU fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I will still watch the last one's, even live with ads and all.
                              sigpic
                              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I admit, it did chop off a big portion of my interest. I was watching these serious and my ineterst was mainly driven when they introduced destiny´s secret mission, but since I know I will probably never find out what it was...

well, I still need to see the newest episode. And frankly I just don´t feel like bothering :/
                                .:.
                                My Art Blog .:. A J.F. Fan

Comment

Working...
                                X