This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skiznot View Post
    I wondered if the number 2000 was selected specifically for it's relationship with Christian mythology. If it was 300 years the destiny would have just been ancestors, by 600 legends perhaps but after 2000 enough time has past for some to see destiny folks as almost gods/demons. I think this story line can go on way longer than 2 episodes and be really compelling.
    Why would it be something religious????
    I think that they chose the number 2000 just to make them advanced enough to help Destiny. Imagine what we would be in 2000 years. That's what they are. SG is about science. I know they discussed the ideas of false Gods but still.

Comment

Lt.Col. JohnS.,

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
      you see if they started doing more episodes like this in the opening days of universe, it probably would've been successful.
      Yes, never try anything new. That's the recipe for good speculative fiction.
      All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
        Lt.Col. JohnS.,

Yes, never try anything new. That's the recipe for good speculative fiction.
        Trying new things is good...but not when its an extreme departure from what SG fans have grown used to.
        sigpic

Comment

LtColCarter,

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
          Trying new things is good...but not when its an extreme departure from what SG fans have grown used to.
          Good grief. SGU is some of the best drama, story, and characterization we've seen in Spec. Fiction TV. It's up there with BSG the reboot. I find it rather sad that fans of the other two series couldn't embrace the new and appreciate how good SGU was rather than demanding the same old sctick they were used to.
          Last edited by Ser Scot A Ellison; 21 April 2011, 01:36 PM.
          All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

LtColCarter,

Good grief. SGU is some of the best drama, story, and characterization we've seen in Spec. Fiction TV. It's up there with BSG the reboot. I find it rather sad that fans of the other two series couldn't embrase the new and appreciate how good SGU was rather than demanding the same old sctick they were used to.
            Grief may be good for you...but I prefer to stay happy. Anyway...I was excited by SGU. However, I didn't want to watch another incarnation of BSG. I couldn't stand the series because it was a soap opera in space. If I wanted to watch a soap...I'd set my DVR to record them during the day. As SGU's season 1 progressed...the show got better. I was ready to hang it up after the first half of the season, but stayed with it...and it got better. As I said, new things are good...but not when they're such an extreme departure from what we're used to. I ask you this, if it was some of the "best drama, story, and characterization"...why did it get cancelled mid-way through its 2nd season?

I'm not SGU bashing...just asking a question...because I do like the show. I just don't like it to the extent that some of you guys seem to.
            sigpic

Comment

LtColCarter,

Because, apparently, not enough people agreed with me. I still say it has been a great show despite the grumblings of people regarding its departure from the "Stargate formula". I watched SG1 and SGA only sporadically becuase I dislike the one hour reboot new problem to overcome in one hour formula applied quite frequently on those shows. I came on board because I liked SG:U. I liked the serial nature. I liked the focus on character. I liked the moral greyness of the characters they introduced. I'm disappointed to see SG:U ending after only two seasons, but thems the breaks.

Comment

As I said, new things are good...but not when they're such an extreme departure from what we're used to. I ask you this, if it was some of the "best drama, story, and characterization"...why did it get cancelled mid-way through its 2nd season?
                Well, obviously, because the average viewer doesn't have the same taste as me! (And I suppose we can extrapolate about me or the average viewer if you like, or not.)

I said this before, it is like capers. I love capers, there are many great dishes that contain capers. But many people don't like capers.

It is just my bad luck that what I love (capers, SGU) is not popular.

And what I don't like (PEEPS*, wrestling) is popular.

*One of my students brought a package of PEEPS to class to share. I will try not to hold it against her come grading time!
                sigpic
                Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

LtColCarter,

Because, apparently, not enough people agreed with me. I still say it has been a great show despite the grumblings of people regarding its departure from the "Stargate formula". I watched SG1 and SGA only sporadically becuase I dislike the one hour reboot new problem to overcome in one hour formula applied quite frequently on those shows. I came on board because I liked SG:U. I liked the serial nature. I liked the focus on character. I liked the moral greyness of the characters they introduced. I'm disappointed to see SG:U ending after only two seasons, but thems the breaks.
                  If it was less BSG like...then I think we wouldn't have had this issue. Like I said...I didn't start liking the show until the 2nd half of the 1st season. I'm disappointed to see SGU end, but I am disappointed because there will be no Stargate on TV.

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
                  Well, obviously, because the average viewer doesn't have the same taste as me! (And I suppose we can extrapolate about me or the average viewer if you like, or not.)

I said this before, it is like capers. I love capers, there are many great dishes that contain capers. But many people don't like capers.

It is just my bad luck that what I love (capers, SGU) is not popular.

And what I don't like (PEEPS*, wrestling) is popular.

*One of my students brought a package of PEEPS to class to share. I will try not to hold it against her come grading time!
                  We all have our likes and dislikes...its what makes the world go 'round. As a teacher, I would hope that a student bringing in food you dislike wouldn't affect his/her grade.
                  sigpic

Comment

I noticed something. I have already posted this in another thread but will quickly mention it here. Does anyone else think maybe they used the gate as a source of power whilst they were originally building Novas? Clearly the gate has some kind of power source as it is not getting it from a DHD and I can not imagine the remotes store the power for the gate. And Eli plugs the Kino remote into the gate so I think maybe they could bring the power from the gate to help create energy once they are at a stage to utalise such a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by traylormatt View Post
                      I noticed something. I have already posted this in another thread but will quickly mention it here. Does anyone else think maybe they used the gate as a source of power whilst they were originally building Novas? Clearly the gate has some kind of power source as it is not getting it from a DHD and I can not imagine the remotes store the power for the gate. And Eli plugs the Kino remote into the gate so I think maybe they could bring the power from the gate to help create energy once they are at a stage to utalise such a thing.
                      That's not too far fetched. So, I could see it as a possibility.
                      sigpic

Comment

That's not too far fetched. So, I could see it as a possibility.
                        Why thank you. I try to be as close fetched as possible.

Comment

Why thank you. I try to be as close fetched as possible.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Airlock View Post
                            by ignoring the rest of my initial post and taking my question at the end and inserting it at the end of my first paragraph you are quoting me terribly out of context.

i've already unintentionally offended a couple .
                            I didn't intend to offend with how i cut out some of your post.. Sorry.

I wondered if the number 2000 was selected specifically for it's relationship with Christian mythology. If it was 300 years the destiny would have just been ancestors, by 600 legends perhaps but after 2000 enough time has past for some to see destiny folks as almost gods/demons. I think this story line can go on way longer than 2 episodes and be really compelling.
                            I wonder if there will be something in the upcomming ep(s) that explains that in any way..

More than likely.. Though what did they have to power??
                            Other than a kino, some ipods, a few laptops... what else did they have/make in that first few generations that would have needed power?

As a linked q.. Do you think they did any gate travel during those early years?

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                              More than likely.. Though what did they have to power??
                              Other than a kino, some ipods, a few laptops... what else did they have/make in that first few generations that would have needed power?

As a linked q.. Do you think they did any gate travel during those early years?
                              I am not sure what they would need to power. Something where they may need to run an electrical current through something? isn't there e method of extracting copper or some metal from water or something by running a current? It really depends on what they can produce from what is around. All I mean is if they get to a point where they can produce something that may need electricty, they can get it.

And I definitely think they would have gated to other worlds to start off with, though what interests me more is why when they decided to divide into two seperate factions, why did they not THEN build a second settlement on a different planet? Get everyone to help pitch in and build a new colony where they end up building the new colony? Then each side could have had a planet to themselves. I know it would have been a lot of work but still.

Comment

I am not sure what they would need to power.
                                I don't think that they'd need much power those first ten years either. Unless someone brought a bug zapper or something. They'd probably find more use for a giant, near perfect wheel that spins, than the power that powers the wheel.

Comment

Working...
                                X