Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
    SH,

"Culpable" is the wrong word. He bears more responsibility for Reilly's death than anyone else, in my opinion. For the reasons I state above I think there was very little that could have been done for Reilly. It's not like they could gate in a crane to get him out from under the wreckage.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/culpable

cul·pa·ble   
    [kuhl-puh-buhl]
    –adjective
    deserving blame or censure; blameworthy.

So how is that the 'wrong' word? Seems to fit perfectly IMHO.

Re: Rush's actions, what would you have rathered, that they starve or perhaps start killing and eating the LA prisoners?
    Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy Pena View Post
      With TJ, she doesnt even have the medical tools on the ship to cut the leg off. They have to use weapons as a cane, so that pretty much says it all. They also dont have the meds to keep all the pain away, he may have died of shock and loss of blood cause the dont have much blood to give him once every thing is done.
      Errrrr IIRC they have an alien anesthetic from 'Time' which could have been used to knock Riley out. All you really need to amputate someones leg is a very sharp knife and enough pressure to apply to break a bone. FWIW we havent a clue what medical supplies the LA brought with them when they gated to Destiny so stating categoricaly that they dont have the necessary equipment / supplies is naieve.
      Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

Also factor in time and quality of life issues.

I don't have any issue with WHAT Young did. The only call that would best benefit the mission. I did find the look on his face WHEN he did it a bit disturbing. Sort of that twinkle drool that Wray gets when she's about to be in charge. Or that Rush gets when he's about to prove Young wrong / win.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
          umm the console was stopping him from bleeding out, if she amputated it wouldnt have mattered
          http://science.jrank.org/pages/1285/Cauterization.html

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow_7 View Post
            Also factor in time and quality of life issues.
            Young states to Riley that they have plenty of time before the Destiny jumps. Quality of life, well, could it have been any worse than the quality of life of Franklin before he was uploaded after his second stint in the chair? Eli came up with the kino-sled im sure that they could have rigged Riley a kino-chair on the same principles.

Comment

Riley's death is certainly the one could causes many consequences. Young obviously did the right thing to do, it took a lot to make that decision. But if Wray or IOA know about it, they properly will use it to against Young.

And it was Rush's mistake to cost the death. So after the crew find out what Rush had been done, they definitely will accuse him, think about Senetor Amstrong, Riley's death is a lot more worse than that.

Who will be replaced to be Ele's Kino buddy? Maybe Volker, he did mention he could fly Kino very well before. Who will be operate the communication stone? Dr. Boone?

I am very excited to see other minor characters step up to fill Riley's position. Much like after Spencer's suicide, Dunning makes a lot more appearances.

Comment

SH,

Perhaps the better phrase is "Culpable" isn't the word I would chose as I feel it implies criminal responsibility.
                All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

I see we have several doctors here today.

Amputating a limb isn't exactly routine under normal circumstances, now take a person who is a medic at best and has almost NONE of the proper tools. He had no chance.

The bulk of the blame should fall on Rush, he sent that shuttle in knowing the circumstances.

Anybody who had their eyes open while watching the episode knows that Scott did nothing wrong. The shuttle lost power and turned into a glider (that didn't glide very well).

Comment

In terms of medical ethics I would agree with Young. Riley was going to die regardless and one of the highest part of medical ethics is that the patient chooses what he/she does with his/her body first. To that regard if Riley is to die its ethical to chose his wishes above your own.

As for Rush I find him responsible negligent homicide. His negligence of doing his job endangered everyone on the shuttle and killed Riley.

Finally an amputation is a lot more complex job. You just can't take a saw and cut off the leg. You have to very precise where you cut to prevent things like blood loss and nerve damange
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

I think the very best you could say about Young's decision to send those people off the ship was that it was a necessary evil to maintain the safety of his crew, but I'm not sure even that is true.

In terms of the euthanasia, I think he was right to end Riley's suffering, but I think the way he chose to do it, despite Riley's pleas was a bit weak. I think he should have put a bullet in his head and ended his pain immediately, rather than sending him out in one of the worst ways possible just to cover his own arse. I know Riley wanted him to, but still.

I'm not sure what to make of Rush's actions. Negligible, arrogant at worst, but I think he believe what he's doing is the for the greater good. In hindsight sending them down to the planet was a mistake, but had the gamble paid off and they got the supplies they needed then it would have been a different matter. He has his flaws, but at least he's decisive.

I do believe that not telling the rest of the crew about the bridge is wrong though, he has no right to control their fate, especially without their knowing so.

Comment

Finally someone did watch "The Ruins" after all!!!!

Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I never thought I would ever see this thing on Stargate. Thumbs up!

If I were Riley, I would rather have told Young to shoot me in a head
                          Stolen Kosovo
                          sigpic

Comment

g.o.d.,

If Young shot Riley there wouldn't be the convienent fiction that Riley just died.
                            All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

I think Young did the right thing and it was, honestly, the best part of the mediocre episode for me. But - how he did it was a horrible. Give up a bullet to make it quick and painless. Young would look better in my eyes had he done that.
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                                How long do you think it will take before Rush tells someone about the Bridge or someone finds out where Rush has been disappearing off to?
                                Not long. They already had 2 or 3 times in this episode alone where Young asked "Where is Rush?" and he definitely seemed to get suspicious when it was mentioned that Rush had contacted the shuttle.

I think very soon either something will happen where Rush has to admit he can control the ship or Young is going to send Eli to find Rush and Eli is going to stumble onto the bridge.

Comment

Working...
                                X