This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DCK View Post
    I will pay anyone 10 dollars if they can come up with a more STUPID comment than this.

Yes. Sex bad. Buu buuuu. How do they dare? Oh my eyes! I want blood and death, not sex! Murder ok! Sex not! Bu huuu. And so on...
    Honestly, this is one of the reasons why I am contemplating about not posting here anymore. Too many immature posters.

I can see how many people say its a "rehash" of Air 3. However, What else could they do to get water (as far as the writing goes)? This seems more like a recurring element if you ask me. They are going to have to use the Stargate for supplies, and those supplies are not going to be on a table in front of the Stargate on some random world.
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      Remeber he was tied that rope.
      And if you watched he started to. BUT young grabbed the rope and held him from doing so.

How on earth did he get through the battery of psych tests to be in the position that he's in?
      I keep seeing this. AS an active duty military guy i have NEVER had a psych test done, whether to get in or stay.

1) I'm getting tired of the crew's attitude to Rush. Maybe it's just me, but at times he seems to be the only grownup on the show - and that includes Young. Rush seems willing to make the hard choices, and say the things that have to be said - I can understand everyone's horror in the first couple of episodes, but surely by now they should start to realise that their situation is dire and even usually dreadful stuff needs to be considered. Like Rush suggesting to Young that he might have to leave Scott behind. This wasn't evil or stupid, just pragmatic.
      I think alot of that has to stem from he seems to always be the tactless pragmatic one. Having someone be tactless with you all the time DOES grind on you to where you don't like it.

In water however when Young wanted to test some ice he put it in a cylinder which started glowing and immediately melted the ice, Young then had exact readings on the makeup of the water, this seemed unrealistic to me.
      I know the military has paper tests for checking for liquid chemical agents which tells you within 1-2 min, vice others which take a little longer for solids... So it was not unrealistic to me.

What difference should that make as to whether or not they brought a knife with them?
      A lot. Since you need somewhere to keep it when traveling (especially since both hands were nearly always in use) not having anywhere to store it would have ment not being able to take one.

and 80+ others...seems a bit of a stretch to risk their ONLY officer with command expeience on an off world mission. For all we know, Young is the only one to know some of the codes, etc, that the SGC needs and uses to get these people home.
      Normally military units have 1-2 officers per 10-15 people. With say half the 80 being military that gives us 40 mil. so 4 officers is well within the 1/10 ratio.

1) up until then, he'd been the hobbling guy on a crutch. By taking on this mission, he was proving to everyone (military and civilian) that he was willing and able to do anything himself that he asked of other people. A very important mindset for any would-be leader.
      That is a good point. all mil officers i have known make it well known they are (or should be) willing to do anything they ask of their juniors.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        A lot. Since you need somewhere to keep it when traveling (especially since both hands were nearly always in use) not having anywhere to store it would have ment not being able to take one.
        I disagree. They were toting around a plasma cutter, rifle, rope, and last but not least testing material for the ice. The testing gear was probably in a pack which could/should have been able to carry a knife. No excuse not to have one, imo.

Then again maybe they did have one, but I found it weird that it wasn't mentioned as an option to help Scott free himself. Whatever. It doesn't really matter. It's just a nitpick, but that immediately popped into my head during that scene as I was watching it.
        IMO always implied.

Comment

They didn't have a knife. They probably forgot the knife because they were wearing those suits, while it is normally part of their usual uniform. It's a good point, but because they did not brought one along, and because I doubt it would have made much difference because they needed a plasma cutter to cut the ice, and a knife would have been insufficient. A knife would only have been able to make some scratches. That's it. No way Scott could have freed himself with a knife.
          A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
            They didn't have a knife. They probably forgot the knife because they were wearing those suits, while it is normally part of their usual uniform. It's a good point, but because they did not brought one along, and because I doubt it would have made much difference because they needed a plasma cutter to cut the ice, and a knife would have been insufficient. A knife would only have been able to make some scratches. That's it. No way Scott could have freed himself with a knife.
            And I mentioned that concern in my original post when I raised the question about the knife. But why not try? I mean the guy was seemingly stuck and going to die. Like I said, doesn't really matter but we are going for realism no? A knife is the first thing that comes to my mind as something they should have had and tried.

Plus wouldn't you want the knife to help chip up ice on the surface for testing rather than using and wasting the fuel for the plasma cutter every time you need to test the ice?
            IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshi442 View Post
              Not to overshare, but I first slept with my (now) wife less than 48 hours after we met. And we hadn't gone through an emotionally grueling experience. If people can hook up at bars, it's realistic that people in Scotta and Chloe's situation would hook up. Young, attractive, and willing
              Well I obviously can't say I am familiar with your situation specifically, but I would assume that before you guys did, the events of that particular day were a logical progression to that event. And that the two of you clearly made a decision together to do so.

I suppose comparing real life directly to TV is flawed because real people don't have to live their lives in front of a camera in order for the important decisions in their life to be on TV in a logical order, but my real complaint is we never really got to see their decision process.

It seems unlikely to me that one person would say something nice to another right after they met. Then she would spend all the following day talking with other, then the two of them would spontaneously decide to have sex directly after some unfortunate news. It wasn't so much that they would eventually have sex in that situation, but Cloe and Scott seemed to instantly know at the same time that they wanted to have intercourse, no hesitation, without even saying anything. I probably would have taken less than a minute to add a scene of them deciding "Wow. I rather like you, we might all be dead soon. So lets take advantage of the time we have now."
              "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

The Sand-devil or bugs-thing or whatever its called now, I will miss that stuff, it was pretty funny

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                  And I mentioned that concern in my original post when I raised the question about the knife. But why not try? I mean the guy was seemingly stuck and going to die. Like I said, doesn't really matter but we are going for realism no? A knife is the first thing that comes to my mind as something they should have had and tried.

Plus wouldn't you want the knife to help chip up ice on the surface for testing rather than using and wasting the fuel for the plasma cutter every time you need to test the ice?
                  I just don't think the knife would do any good. Why would they take it with them if it has no purpose and they have no room for it in their suits? Also, the plasma cutter has fuel? Doesn't that just work with a battery which they can easily recharge?

*Okay, now back to re-reading my review before posting it. Almost done.*

Comment

Jasper’s Thoughts and Opinions about SGU 1.06 Water
                    Part 1

The dedication of this review goes to the few readers I have that will actually read this.

Like I mentioned in my previous review for “Light”, I truly like the SGU-style opening sequence. I really don’t understand the complaints about the lack of a intro, like SG1 or SGA had. Also, I must admit I was pleased to see that Scott had indeed been seeing aliens in “Air. pt.3” and it was not just a hallucination like some said, while I was adamantly convinced they weren’t. I was very pleased that I was right.

On another note I was also very pleased to hear Rush mentioning that there was in fact no accessible airlock present on the Destiny. Or at least not in the habitable compartment. Now, if someone makes a comment about how they want to put X or Y in an airlock I’ll be able to point out that this simply is not possible. You’ve been warned! I actually found it funny it was mentioned.

Additionally I was extremely happy to see this being mentioned: “Colonel, I was scheduled to use the communication stones this morning.” Finally, at last, they addressed the fact of the communication stones being present. Albeit just being one line, it at least gave me the impression that people on the Destiny had indeed been given the chance to use the stones to deliver messages to friends and family. While I still believe the series would have been considerably darker, grittier, edgier and more interesting if they had left the stones at Icarus base, I’m a very glad the ignorance towards these stones has come to a halt and I hope now they will finally be addressed properly.

Moving on, this was clearly an episode straight out of the classic Stargate handbook. It had classic elements from SG1 and SGA, but amongst other things, character development, however, was different and better. The storyline “resembled” other Stargate episodes, for example SGA’s “Hide and Seek”, but on the other hand, with over 300 previous episodes and all other Science-Fiction shows present nowadays, it can be hard to have something completely new. Eli’s latest attempt to fly, his new Kino invention, was cool and it was original too. That panned out to be good.

Something different that I also like about this new series is how I don’t have an overabundance of the “everyone is safe” feeling. SGA had that way too much, that was probably why I was so shocked when Carson died. And then he came back. So the fact that he really went away is even open for debate. Not so good. One could argue that they indeed did not leave/kill Lt. Scott and thus there was indeed the “main-characters won’t die” feeling. However, while watching this episode, in the end, I was not so sure anymore. Unlike the other series they did not have a magical, last-minute solution, but it was indeed pure luck that saved them. A step back in the direction of SG1 again and away from SGA, which in my opinion, is a step in the good direction.

A similarity with the previous series was the typical Stargate humor being ever present again in this episode. It ranged from hilarious, very good to the just the plain old, strange, but still enjoyable humor, I’ve come to accept as the Stargate humor.

Furthermore, this new episode in the series once again proved that it had something which the previous series sometimes lacked, I’m talking about the continuity, which was excellent. At the same time, however, the episodic character of the series was still present. They nicely followed up on the events of previous episodes (most particularly “Light” and “Air, pt.3.”) while creating some new elements for following episodes and at the same time keeping a story contained to one episode.

I liked how they “re-used” the alien swarm. It not only proved me right in thinking that it were indeed aliens, but it also explained why the planet in Air. pt. 3 was a desert planet. We also saw how the aliens were thanking Scott. So, at first, it maybe seems stupid for the alien creatures to go for the container of water, and maybe they aren’t the brightest ones around, but on the other hand, now they are on a planet where there is a lot of water. So maybe they are good with that and it certainly seemed like it. They were thanking and recognizing Scott.

You could argue that there were other solutions for the crew on the Destiny, to get rid of the aliens, but I firmly believe that the aliens did fly in the water container on purpose as to be left on another world. We saw how they could escape at will from the airtight storage room, and how they could escape the container on the planet. The aliens would have flown back through the gate when Young dialed it up, if they did not want to be on another planet. This is actually a strongpoint of praise to be given to T.J. as she actually handled/dealt with the aliens in her own way, but more about T.J. later.

Another example of good continuity was them busting Spencer for stealing food and water. Also, the openings scene with Riley and Greer was very good. It had humor and gently guided us back into the story. I especially liked this part of the dialogue. “Spencer came by and asked if he could have a look into the tank.” – “Why?” –“He’s a crazy person.” Riley pauses. “Sir.”

I like the way how several elements will show up in the episodes which only later on will make sense to you as they are being followed up upon. It gives me the impression, the feeling, that this time the writers did indeed talk to each other and thought out a season long story arc, not only a main one, but also several different other plot elements they are now weaving throughout several episodes. Something that seriously lacked in the last season of SGA in my opinion.

The good continuity present in this episode, brings me to my next point. This episode was in some aspects the opponent, the other side, of the previous episode, Light. If Light was somewhat the episode of “reconciliation” this episode was the episode where the old and new conflicts were (re)born, rose out of the ashes like a phoenix. Trust was an important subject in this episode. For one, there was the old trust issue between Rush and Young, but there were also other new trust/conflict issues, e.g. between Greer and T.J. However not only were there character/personal trust issues, there was also the establishment, the clash of distrust versus trust. The clash of telling the truth versus lying, or actually not telling the whole truth. Especially in Eli these issues found there focus, but more about that later.

Next, about Greer, he stood out again in this episode. Again, my views of him changed, they were adapted. Greer is already much more than the character he seemed to be in Air, or what I expected from him, him to be, after reading the character’s casting description. He continues to grow as a character. I still like to assume he’s a bit nuts though, it makes him more interesting. However, he certainly knows how to handle things, he’s intelligent and I like how he interacted with Chloe. I must really praise TPTB for finding and casting Mr. Walker. I hope the feeling of never knowing what to expect when it comes to Greer won’t go away.

Continuing with the character of this episode. I’m of course talking about Lt. Tamara Johansen, who just shone, outshone all others. For the first time I was truly impressed by Alaina Huffman’s portrayal of T.J. I liked her before, but this was much more than that. She was the star that made this episode. Not Rush, not Eli, not Chloe, not even Greer, not even Scott or even Young, they were all good, but T.J. was the one who carried this episode. I was a bit surprised, but I am very glad that this was her episode. After the previous episodes, this one had the character development T.J. needed. She showed herself not only as a paramedic (I suppose that this is something different than the medic/doctor/nurse people are wrongfully calling her), but as a leader as well. As the lieutenant she rightfully is. Her priorities and methods may sometimes differ from other leaders, but I found that more to be an advantage than a point for criticism. The conflict between Greer and T.J. did surprise me though. They were established as friends before, but now it seemed different. Does T.J. really not trust Greer?

For the first time I also realized that 1st Lt. Scott, Col. Young, 1st Lt. Johansen and 2nd Lt. James are the only four officers on board. When Young and Scott leave, this leaves TJ as the one in charge. People, however, seem to forget that Vanessa James is there as well, and that T.J. is actually equally in rank and in experience as Scott.

That brings me to the James/Scott/Chloe angle. We had a little kissing scene, to which I have no objections at all, and which I found yet again to be a good example of simple follow-up. It seems to me as if Chloe and Scott are first going to work out the physical attraction in their relationship before dealing with the actual relationship. I am hoping that they will have to deal with some consequences later on, though. They still need to work out some (hard) issues.

Like we all know they were interrupted by Vanessa James. Her reference to the broom closet was good. Vanessa James did seem a bit disturbed by this. Maybe jealous a bit? At least IMHO. She was definitely a bit hurt, I think. However, she did not become a crazy possessive manipulating – well you know. It makes me wonder if there’s an discrepancy between Scott’s and her idea/impression of the relationship between them. However she did not let it influence her duty and human decency and rose above it all. I’m glad TPTB did not immediately jump onto that, but had it dealt with this way. Could still turn out either way now, but this was at least already good.

TPTB kept the James/Scott/Chloe angle interesting and it played out good, unlike a the creation of a certain triangle that I won’t mention. Lt. Vanessa James really rose out of that and kept her dignity.

Consequences should follow as it is clear that James is mad at Scott. Her feelings towards Chloe are still a bit of a mystery, but it is clear that she is clearly focusing her anger towards the person responsible, Scott as if she realizes that Chloe is not really to blame for this. Scott really is a bit promiscuous, isn’t he? Maybe James even felt for Chloe?
                    Last edited by Jper; 03 November 2009, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Jasper’s Thoughts and Opinions about SGU 1.06 Water
                      Part 2

Now to the particular scene, for me the long awaited scene, between James and Chloe, which I surprisingly found to be very well done. My fears seemed to be unfounded as Vanessa James showed what she was really made off.

To add, the strength of most of these scenes did not lay within the words, the dialogue, but within the unspoken exchanges, like looks, smiles, facial expressions, body language… A very strong point for this episode.

Next character in line is Eli Wallace. I already talked about how the humor was present again, and Eli had many memorable lines in this episode. For example his reference to the Star Wars movie series with the “Hoth System” or the “I have a problem with everything you just said,” or the reference to the movie “Alien”. Another most remarkable line was "Don't worry. You'll run out of air long before we leave you behind." I found it to be just the one-liner they needed. It feels like something witty and innocent I would like to have been able to come up with and say to Scott. It is certain that the dynamic of Eli and Scott has changed. From the scenes between them in Air, pt.1. through Light, and now in Water.

Eli speaks the truth. Eli is intelligent. Eli is emotional. Eli is trustworthy. Eli believes in trust, is trusting. Eli shows his opinions, his emotions, also when he disagrees. Eli is different, as in he is as much the human, the math-boy, the person he is, and that is what he shows us. Most of the time he is the odd man out.

This leads me, without further ado, to Rush. Eli spoke his mind regardless of what Rush did or told him. It showed that Eli has an inner strength unlike the other characters. In that matter Eli most likely resembles Chloe the most. They might both seem weak, but that is a long distance from the truth. Eli and Chloe will not be put aside, walked over easily. Rush, does not know how to deal with this? Does he? It certainly seems like he doesn’t know, or as I think, doesn’t want to know. Rush prefers logic and the greater good above emotions. He prefers to save his own ass, and others if it fits him, by using logic, and his brains, avoiding the meddle with his and others’ emotions. Is this maybe due to his unknown past? For example the woman in the picture, from Air, pt.1? It seems like we still need to learn much more about this character. Who is he really?

However, Rush was right when he told Eli he needed to grow up and stop “acting” like a child. It is indeed true that Eli has a lot of immaturity to his character, and therefore I liked the comment and the interaction between them. Rush certainly does not have good people skills, which translated in him being harsh, but that doesn’t mean it is not true and Eli’s reaction was very realistic. Well done David blue! The whole Rush/Eli relationship is becoming more and more interesting every episode. It has Eli being in between Young and Rush, but it also has Rush working with Eli, and thus choosing him out of all the others to connect with. Rush even said Eli’s invention was “fantastic”. They have friction not only between them, but also around them and the relationship also has a weird father/son sort of vibe.

I also found Rush to be acting differently in this episode. In some strange way he was much more pleasurable than before in the other episodes, while also being less involved and taking some distance from the/T.J.’s decision making. I noted that his behavior towards Young is very different than towards T.J. It is clear that the Young is pushing Rush into his defensive positions and that Young’s over-paranoia and distrust makes them only grow further apart and raises the conflict between them. Or isn’t it? However, I still need to ask this question. What’s up with the power problem? Didn’t the star fully restore Destiny’s huge power reserves, but only 40% of the way or is there something wrong with the reserve capacities, as one of the “batteries” or “energy tanks” is broken.

Not only Rush had some need-to-mention interaction with Eli, so did Young. Young had Eli spying on other people with his Kino. Something he himself does not like, and was warned by Young not to do anymore. Seems like tension is rising on board of the Destiny.

If we are talking about Young, we need to mention several interactions. I already had Young-Rush and Young-Eli, but there’s also Young-TJ for example. As some of you might know, I’m rooting for a T.J.-Young relationship, but I want a real relationship, fitting them. So far I liked their connections and I did again in this episode. I enjoyed Young saying to T.J. “You’re going to do fine.” This could refer to the general group “you” or the specific “you”, indicating T.J. Or maybe it could go both ways? I already talked about how T.J. is also Young’s second in command, and how he puts his trust and confidence in her. I feel many people are overseeing this.

While we are talking about “second in command”, let’s talk about Young-Scott. The two people who in my opinion definitely were the logical choice for the two that would go off-world. Not only are they two out of the few people who actually have experience with EVA, not to mention the fact that Young, as the sort of human leader he is, was not going to let anyone go in his place. Young is showing how he is their leader, how he is caring for them, how he is going to get the job done. He has tough shoes to stand in.

Young trusted T.J. and put her in charge, and his judgment, confidence was proven correct. T.J. did a good/great job, showed what she was made off, and like I said, that was great. Young and Scott were in many ways the people that should go and did go “off-world”. There’s a connection forming between these two, these very similar people in my opinion. Scott was/is very much paying attention to his superior officer and is learning from him, at least if Chloe is not distracting him. Notice how there’s actually a similarity between them – these two flawed humans – there; while Scott is distracted by Chloe, Young is actually distracted by his wife, Emily. I think Young’s intentions are indeed to give Scott some good experience, what he is lacking now.

And Scott is learning fast. Young, instead of bragging about his experience, knowledge and talent turned it into a recurring joke. Scott, however, turned it around on him, showing his stripes, and so he forced Young to acknowledge that he had left people behind before. That was in fact a classic Stargate moment, and it was even more classic Stargate when Young, of course, refused to leave someone behind, much like O’Neill in SG1 and Sheppard in SGA, but it was still a build-up for the characters.

One thing, however, I still don’t understand. Weren’t they going to explain why the suits were re-used? I thought there would follow an explanation? How they would explain a connection between the rogue Asgard and the Ancients?

Last but not least of the main characters is Chloe. I am very impressed how Chloe stood up to Rush, again. Again, finally, they showed how she does have some backbone. I was impressed. She stood out again, just as in Air, pt.2. Her core beliefs seemed to still be there. I cannot wait what the next episode “Earth” has in store for her.

Moving on to the secondary characters, like Park, Riley etc. They had their moments too, but the only one who needs special mention is Gorman – nice reference btw – the red shirt. His “being shredded scene” was very well done. It was shocking, bloody, a bit disturbing, and for me a bit of a surprise, almost a scene from a horror movie. I had not expected to see something like this in SGU, but I was still pleasantly surprised that they are willing to go there. While it doesn’t last long, it is a very intense, somewhat gruesome, scene.

Many people don’t understand Gorman’s stupidity of shooting the swarm. I didn’t understand it immediately myself, but then I was reminded of the stupidity of some real people. (Read J. Mallozzi’s blog.) At least Gorman got what he deserved for shooting at the aliens. In the end I thought it was probably a realistic view, there would always be someone stupid, aggressive and arrogant enough to shoot a swarm of peaceful aliens. Certainly T.J. is not to blame. The only thing I’m wondering about now, is what they’ll do with the deceased? With Gorman’s body for example.

Before I finish this review, I want to point out the little, subtle, but greatly enjoyable VFX. We again got interesting, new views of the outside of the Destiny, especially the back view, and another new view where indeed a third shuttle landing-pad was clearly visible. Also the shot of Young’s POV while he was lying on his back, looking up at the foreign sky and the overview shot when Young and Scott are walking back to the gate are very beautiful. These are things I do want to see in a science-fiction show. Something that was maybe missing in SGA sometimes? Young and Scott pause to stand still and look at their beautiful surroundings, and indeed these surroundings were very well done.

I was also going to comment on the soundtrack of this episode, but on that point this episode was a bit disappointing. There were a lot of parts though – like when they put the Kino sled through the gate, when T.J. encounters the aliens, when Young finds the frozen waterfall and delivers the new to Rush, when Scott tells Young to go, but Young refuses and when Young gets up to leave Scott, just before the tremor happens and after that, almost all moments – that there was indeed a soundtrack, which was still good, but it did not come near the awesome and epic-ness of “Light”.

The end of the episode was interesting with everyone complaining to Young about lots of different things even though he'd just been risking his life to get them all more water. Unlike the ending of Air, pt.3. where Scott and Greer were heroes. Tension seems to be rising on the ship. Where will this lead us? While the drama wasn’t there like in previous episodes, I feel like this episode announced that this sort of drama will return soon for the next episode(s). I certainly still enjoyed how this drove the episode.

I still think “Light” stands out more than “Water”, if that necessarily means it is really better is another thing, it is certainly different. I would classify this episode as a good, solid episode with some seemingly mediocre moments, but still decent and enjoyable, combined with great moments and new plot building elements. There were some excellent elements and nothing really offended or bothered me this episode, while good character development and continuity blossomed again. The subtleties touched me in this episode, and like others have found/said, I too, grew to like the episode more and more while I was considering my thoughts and typing this out.

I do think it showed that this was the first episode not written by either BW or RCC, but by Carl Binder instead. All respect for the guy, it was a good episode, but it certainly feels different to some degree.

Comment

Last but not least of the main characters is Chloe. I am very impressed how Chloe stood up to Rush, again. Again, finally, they showed how she does have some backbone. I was impressed. She stood out again, just as in Air, pt.2. Her core beliefs seemed to still be there. I cannot wait what the next episode “Earth” has in store for her.
                        Rush is taking more lip from her than I would put up with. Why he doesn't ask her what exactly she is contributing to their survival (when she starts that holier than thou, "what are you doing" crap) I will never know.

He ought to tell her to go back to her room and STFU. She is utterly worthless and does nothing but relieve Scott's sexual tension. (Which probably keeps him from trying to hump people's legs, but still...) Seriously, every person we have seen (except maybe Spencer) is contributing in some small way (whether making the food or exploring the ship) but she just sits around taking showers and doing her makeup.

Comment

Originally posted by Descended View Post
                          Rush is taking more lip from her than I would put up with. Why he doesn't ask her what exactly she is contributing to their survival (when she starts that holier than thou, "what are you doing" crap) I will never know.

He ought to tell her to go back to her room and STFU. She is utterly worthless and does nothing but relieve Scott's sexual tension. (Which probably keeps him from trying to hump people's legs, but still...) Seriously, every person we have seen (except maybe Spencer) is contributing in some small way (whether making the food or exploring the ship) but she just sits around taking showers and doing her makeup.
                          What does Wray do?
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

My original mission brief was to stay with SGU for the whole season come hell or high-water. Six episodes in and I have now come to realise that this will only be accomplished through grit, determination and sheer bloody mindedness.

The Good:
                            Robert Carlyle's acting and the cinematography.

The Bad: Everything else.

Paper thin story-lines, amateur script writing, laughable dialogue, non-entity characters coupled with poor acting (with the exception noted above) and little to no action make for one of the most tiresome sci-fi shows ever produced. This programme is infinitely more insipid than Season 4 of BSG; which is really saying something!

Where is the interest? Where is the drama? Where is the intrigue? Where is the mystery? Where is the entertainment? Where is the excitement? Certainly not aboard the Destiny, that's for sure!

It really blows my mind how they managed to come up with this spiritless exercise in pure boredom?

SGU was hyped up as this big new departure from the Stargate format. Cool, although I like SG-1 and SGA, I'm very much down with that idea. The trouble is it hasn't delivered the goods as advertised; in fact it hasn't delivered any goods.

Water came across as though it was a first attempt at writing a spec script by a rather dull teenager. And it was funny how this episode embraced many things they claimed they were getting away from, in respect to the structure of the other Stargate series?

Two main characters can potentially retrieve two or three bathtubs of water. Great, that's really going to help out!

One of the main characters gets into a potentially life threatening scrape, although we all know he's never going to die. Great "tension" there, they could have at least had the decency to send a red shirt who might actually die. Anyone who is fit and able is capable of wearing an EVA suit, especially if they were qualified enough to be part of the Stargate Program, you know?

Yes folks, we finally have some aliens! But don't worry they're not English speaking people in prosthetics, they're CG flies. Amazingly they are intelligent enough to attempt to communicate and form into humanoid faces. But, conversely, they are shockingly stupid enough to all fly into a barrel and remain in it until the exact moment they are flung through the Stargate, and then not follow the other two guys back!

Etc...

I didn't think it was possible for this daytime soap opera of a show to get much worse but this episode has sunk to an all time low.
                            sigpic

Comment

The more I watch the more addicted to SGU I become. Each ep grows upon the strength of the previous one and we learn more and more about the characters and the ship each week. Gotta say loving the "new Stargate" and can't wait to see next weeks ep. Looks like a mutiny will be brewing...
                              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                What does Wray do?
                                Handles the HR responsiblities and tries (ultimately failing) to control who does what on the ship. She is the one character that we still know little about but what we've seen so far I like.
                                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X