This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
    Oh yes, the Stargate label must be fixed immediately! While we're at it, lets make sure to disinclude the Stargate itself, because this is not Stargate. Sorry, Richard Dean Anderson, Micheal Shanks and Amanda Tapping, but it's a total mistake on our part to have you appear as your Stargate characters in this show that is obviously not Stargate. The Hammond 304 ship? Goa'uld Ha'tak vessels? Common errors, because this is obviously not Stargate and those things shouldn't be in there.

What's that? An ship built by the Ancients? Woah, slow down there - do you mean the Stargate Ancients? Cause we accidentally put them in and continue to do so, even though this show is obviously not Stargate! Brad Wright, Robert Cooper, Carl Binder, Joesph Mallozzi, Paul Mullie, Martin Gero, Will Warring, Andy Mikita, Peter DeLuise - what are you past Stargate writers and directors doing here? This show isn't Stargate, so maybe you should be off working on Stargate, because SGU is definitely not Stargate at all. Ever.

Hey Syfy! Your advertisement people should quickly pull the ads advertising SGU as a new Stargate, because, well, it apparently isn't! How about that? Yeah, just remove every reference to Stargate, 'cause this show is obviously not Stargate. Hey, David Blue, Brian J. Smith, Elyse Levesque, Lou Diamond Phillips, Ming Na and Alaina Huffman - stop posting tweets on Twitter about Stargate Universe, or just lose the Stargate title, because this is obviously not Stargate we're talking about here.

Hey there random catering guy, why are you bringing those snacks to the Stargate Universe set? Didn't you know that they're dropping the Stargate title, because it's so obviously not Stargate?

Hey, Gateworld heads Darren and David, why do you keep referencing to Stargate Universe on your sites and in the forums? Seriously, because this show is obviously not Stargate - you should fix that mistake. Because, seriously, this show is obviously not Stargate at all. Nope. Honest mistake. How about that?

What's that? Oh, yeah, sorry fans of the new third series of Stargate, we have a problem! This show isn't Stargate, and we should not be watching it, obviously, because it's obviously not Stargate at all. Yeah, you can all just forget the last six episodes and the next fourteen, because this show is most definitely not Stargate in any fashion, obviously.

We're sorry for the inconvenience!

I agree with you. This isn't Stargate! I feel, like, betrayed and stuff.
    "God save us from half the people who think they're doing God's work." - Dean Winchester

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      well, when they seem to only have four officers on the whole ship

young
      scott
      johanssen
      james

and 80+ others...seems a bit of a stretch to risk their ONLY officer with command expeience on an off world mission. For all we know, Young is the only one to know some of the codes, etc, that the SGC needs and uses to get these people home.

Young literally knows too much to risk his life hunting ice...a task that any non-com could do.

As he learns to hoard and protect the castaways resources, he needs to see himself as one.
      Sorry to nitpick, and I know she hasn't exactly the easiest name around, but as a defender of T.J. I must point that it is Johansen with one s, not two. GateWorld agrees with me:
      http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/0...gate-universe/

Also, I don't believe Young knows any other things that would be especially of value on the Destiny. I really must disagree with the fact that Young leaving the ship was such a bad idea. Like I pointed out above ^, there are multiple reasons why Young was a good choice. It also speaks to Young's very human character that he would not make other people doing the dangerous jobs for him. He has a bit of the noble character of Col. Sheppard, but without it being annoying.
      A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

While I am here, wasn't it spoiled that for this episode someone would
        Spoiler:
        commit suicide
        on board of the Destiny? Where was that?

Comment

Young needs to be like Picard...he keeps his butt on that ship for the good of the crew
          Heh, that's exactly who I was thinking of! Naughty Young, leaving the ship...
          teh line from the transcript

SCOTT: Not that I'm counting, but this *is* the third time in almost as many weeks that you've been willing to kill yourself and there's ... there's a pretty good chance at this point I won't be around to talk you out of it again.
          It's the 'almost' that makes it a wee bit fuzzy again. It suggests a bit under 3 weeks, at least. And clicking on my laptop calender and having a look at November made me realise how easily we use that kind of phrase to mean pretty non-specific stuff. For example, if someone bumped my car last Wednesday, and then did it again this Wednesday, I'd be likely to say, "That's twice in as many weeks that happened", although technically it was only 8 days, not fourteen...
          Originally posted by PG15 View Post
          When did someone get knocked out for 7 in-show minutes?
          I'm not certain about where the 7 comes from, but perhaps the guy that Greer knocked out, and then was just left lying there to come to by himself?
          Originally posted by Jper View Post
          While I am here, wasn't it spoiled that for this episode someone would
          Spoiler:
          commit suicide
          on board of the Destiny? Where was that?
          Apparently it's been
          Spoiler:
          pushed back to a later episode. Which one is out there, but I won't spoil it any further for you. SURPRISE!

Comment

Yeah, apparently we misinterpreted the spoilers wrong, the IGN article with Robert Carlyle, because at the time Fire had not been split up into two episodes. So now we are guessing it will happen in the next episode, Earth. So I moved the discussion there and asked the question again there.

For anyone who would be interested in that.

Comment

I like SGU. It's reminding us that a good show, especially a good sci-fi show, doesn't have to involve the pew pew pew every episode, doesn't need rubber-foreheaded aliens and punchclock villians with Evil Reverb VoicesTM and Threads of Endless DoomTM.

It's reminding us that things like food, water, and air (which were almost always handwaved away on SG1 and SGA) are important things that just can't be ignored and even so much as falling into some ice can be fatal. It's a refreshing change from the nigh-characture that the previous shows sometimes descended into.
              sigpic
              http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
                I like SGU. It's reminding us that a good show, especially a good sci-fi show, doesn't have to involve the pew pew pew every episode, doesn't need rubber-foreheaded aliens and punchclock villians with Evil Reverb VoicesTM and Threads of Endless DoomTM.
                It is interesting but also predictable so far anyway.
                Spoiler:
                At the end of Darkness you could tell the ship was going to get re-charged by the star and on Water you could tell the two on the planet were going to make it back

And on the Desiny did they say there were no airlocks available or there were no airlocks at all dont remember?

And the command center they use is that a control room or the actual bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Thermal Zombie View Post
                  On the Desiny did they say there were no airlocks available or there were no airlocks at all, I don't remember?
                  Rush stated that there were no accessible airlocks. All airlocks on the Destiny are in non-available parts of the ship.

WALLACE: What we need is an airlock.

RUSH: Unfortunately, there are none in the habitable compartments of the ship.
                  Originally posted by Thermal Zombie View Post
                  And the command center they use is that a control room or the actual bridge.
                  That is not the actual bridge. It is a control room.

Comment

Personally, I figured what they were using as a "bridge" was just an engineering substation, a place where all the systems converge and are easily accessable. I imagine the true bridge will be revealed as the show goes on.
                    sigpic

Comment

Ugh, I hate it when I do that. How embarassing. Thanks for the correction.

Comment

Originally posted by Alder View Post

<snip>

2) I don't get why the both Young and Scott went to the planet. That left the ship with only the third-in-command, which seemed careless to me. Particularly as Young was pretty seriously injured just a couple of episodes ago. Did he have particular skills that were needed for this? It's possible I missed his extra experience using environmental suits.

<snip>
                        I feel this is hardly fair to TJ. Scott is not the 2IC, he's on the same foot as T.J. It was not careless for Young to leave the ship. His experience and talents were required off-world. Surely Young had the skills to pull this off. Skills no one else had. Like he himself said, he had done this before. Also he and Scott, and one other person Scott mentioned:
                        YOUNG: Looks like it's just you and me, then.
                        SCOTT: I could take Kinnear, sir. She's done E.V.A.s before and you're
                        have the only E.V.A. experience on board.

I don't really see the problem with Young and Scott going off-world. Why was/is this such a problem? T.J., who is Young's 2IC just as much as Scott, handled things just fine.

Comment

I think Young went off-ship and left TJ in charge for a two-fold purpose:

1) up until then, he'd been the hobbling guy on a crutch. By taking on this mission, he was proving to everyone (military and civilian) that he was willing and able to do anything himself that he asked of other people. A very important mindset for any would-be leader.

2)a to establish a clear chain of command. Normally there would be a captain, and possibly a major to help a colonel run the place, and those are both middle-management ranks that have put their time into the service. With the next nearest officers being Lieutenants, he had to prove to everyone that even if something happened to him, there would already be someone willing and able to take over. If he does this a few more times, people will automatically gravitate towards TJ as their new leader since they'd be used to it by then.

2b) He told Scott in Air II that everyone on the ship needed to step up. He also probably meant Scott himself had to as well. By going off-ship with Scott, Young was hoping to get the young kid some more experience and confidence in leading off-ship teams on his own (since Scott himself stated in Air I that he was still very, very green at this whole thing).

All in all, I'm quite pleased with Young so far. He rocks almost as much as Greer
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
                            I think Young went off-ship and left TJ in charge for a two-fold purpose:

1) up until then, he'd been the hobbling guy on a crutch. By taking on this mission, he was proving to everyone (military and civilian) that he was willing and able to do anything himself that he asked of other people. A very important mindset for any would-be leader.

2)a to establish a clear chain of command. Normally there would be a captain, and possibly a major to help a colonel run the place, and those are both middle-management ranks that have put their time into the service. With the next nearest officers being Lieutenants, he had to prove to everyone that even if something happened to him, there would already be someone willing and able to take over. If he does this a few more times, people will automatically gravitate towards TJ as their new leader since they'd be used to it by then.

2b) He told Scott in Air II that everyone on the ship needed to step up. He also probably meant Scott himself had to as well. By going off-ship with Scott, Young was hoping to get the young kid some more experience and confidence in leading off-ship teams on his own (since Scott himself stated in Air I that he was still very, very green at this whole thing).

All in all, I'm quite pleased with Young so far. He rocks almost as much as Greer
                            I agree. Al do I think there are still much more pro-arguments why it was Young who went off-world. This is part of what I said before actually. So thus logically I agree. Have some green for making sense!

Comment

People tend to get hung up on the drama elements. Its science fiction, and there will be drama. Anything without at least some drama comes out as lacking depth. SG1 suffered that sometimes. The story is primarily about the stargate and interaction. Revolving the sotry around RDA isn't going to help the story mature sine it hinged on a fandom of a single character.

Comment

i liked the first episode but it's been getting progressively worse. my friend and i started watching it, by episode 3 i was getting bored but he really liked it, darkness was boring and the end wasn't a cliff hanger as it was obvious what would happen, light my friend told he found it boring so i skipped through the filler and was able to get a good 5 minutes from it, atm i'm not watching it anymore, it's boring, there is no plot, the characters are unlikable and nothing seems to be happening. if it gets better in a few episodes i may watch it but my mate kindly reviewed this episode for me and told me not to bother. unless something changes i'm abandoning this train wreck of a tv show and hope it gets canceled. i loved sg1 and sga and have watched sg1 since it began and grew up with it. SGU is not stargate, it is a poor imitation, and i'd class it more of a soap opera in space.

i'll be checking in for reviews but so far the series has been very disappointing.

Comment

Working...
                                X