• Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, when they seem to only have four officers on the whole ship

young
    scott
    johanssen
    james

and 80+ others...seems a bit of a stretch to risk their ONLY officer with command expeience on an off world mission. For all we know, Young is the only one to know some of the codes, etc, that the SGC needs and uses to get these people home.

Young literally knows too much to risk his life hunting ice...a task that any non-com could do.

As he learns to hoard and protect the castaways resources, he needs to see himself as one.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Nice bit of continuity with the alien life form. It reminded me of those crystals in Blue Lazarus. Interesting that it didn't display aggressive behavior until it was attacked. I'm sure Daniel would have insisted on trying to communicate with it first but there just wasn't time for that here. I especially like that we're encountering non-humanoid life forms.

I did notice we seemed to get a lot of the female characters in the forefront here. They aren't exactly the same as the ones we grew to know and love previously in the franchise, but they all display the characteristics that we admire from the women we've encountered in Stargate before. Greer is definitely my candidate for the Ronan character type. He may be a bit of a loose cannon at times but takes orders from his superior officers although somewhat begrudgingly. I think TJ knew Rush was just patronizing her but she seemed to brush it aside.

Young continues to add to my respect for his character. O'Neill and most especially Sheppard were always insistent on the "no one left behind" premise as well as making sure that they were the ones willing to sacrifice themselves to ensure everyone else's safety. Of course we did lose those two people that gated elsewhere from the desert planet but I think we have to expect that sort of thing from this show.

I'm waiting for the point at which Eli will get fed up with the way he's being treated. It's coming, I'm sure. I also think the disgruntled civilians are going to become more of an issue soon and I can just see Spencer right in the middle of that.

Yeah we all knew Young and Scott would make it back okay but it was still exciting and I'm enjoying this. The visuals and the music continue to impress and I intend to stick with the show.

Comment

Originally posted by ufgator1977 View Post
        Greer is definitely my candidate for the Ronan character type.
        Great mini-review apart from one little issue.
        Spell it with me: R-O-N-O-N
        "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
        Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
        Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
        Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
        Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

This is my opinion only, as a fan.

I feel that SGU is not related to SG-1 and SGA. It seems to be another series with no relation with the others. I have seen all episodes, till the sixth. If I didnt know SG-1 and SGA, I could say there was no relation between them and SGU.

There's no room in the series to introduce a dispute between goaulds, or ori, asgard or other kind of aliens. It looks like the LOST series, and is all episode every time more and more away form the Stargate saga!

I miss a lot the presence of the battles and the ships of the old SG-1, the aliens races, goauld, tokra and others.

A good thing is the soundtrack, that lis very good!
          Stargate fan - city of Curitiba-Brazil

Comment

Well, that's what they intended in the first place, more or less, so...there you are.

Comment

If you actually paid attention for the first episode-
              Spoiler:
              The Lucien alliance not only attacked the Icarus planet in the first episode

BUT
              Spoiler:
              They will play a future role in the series as it progresses. Considering they are originally an SG1 villain, they are going to tie in quite well.

Right now they don't need a villain, they need to get things set up just to survive on the ship.

The tokra are a dying race too (no queens left), so there is no point in worrying about them!

Comment

I just thought of something while I was reading the transcript (not sure if this has been pointed out before). But, right before Gorman dies Tamara, Rush, and Eli are discussing what to do about the alien(s) on the ship. Tamara informs the crew of a situation onboard and for everyone to return to their quarters but she doesn't mention there's alien(s) onboard and perhaps to advise personnel still out and about to not threaten/engage it. In other words she doesn't elaborate on the situation. But perhaps if she would have it could have saved Gorman's life. And after Tamara didn't tell the crew Rush questions her about her decision to keep it on a need-to-know basis. Just interesting I thought.

Comment

*slaps self for clicking on the 2nd spoiler*
                  I was totally against SGU after Atlantis got canceled to close to the green light. But I said I'd give the show until the end of the first story arc and it seems to be meeting my benchmark. (for now) Darkness was my favorite episode so far and I think that's what got my attention. Sadly the series opener was very forgettable but it seems to be getting much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlos-Curitiba View Post

I feel that SGU is not related to SG-1 and SGA. It seems to be another series with no relation with the others. I have seen all episodes, till the sixth. If I didnt know SG-1 and SGA, I could say there was no relation between them and SGU.

There's no room in the series to introduce a dispute between goaulds, or ori, asgard or other kind of aliens. It looks like the LOST series, and is all episode every time more and more away form the Stargate saga!

I miss a lot the presence of the battles and the ships of the old SG-1, the aliens races, goauld, tokra and others.

There are so many places that this post can go. So many places. It doesn't need its own thread.

And it's a foregone conclusion that this is related to the Stargate franchise, with the Stargate in the title.
                    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Well, there isn't much relation to the other shows. They take place in the same universe and are part of the same franchise, but Universe is it's own story.

You really want more Goa'uld and Ori? I mean, I would have loved for SG-1 to keep on keeping on, but they wrapped those story lines up. Your expectations are unrealistic.

Then go watch SG-1 again.
                      I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky13 View Post

And, in the 'Well, duh' category: If people are made mostly of water, why did the alien life forms not go after them?
                        Because they've already got plenty of water in, uh, water-form?

Why did they merely mimic the shapes of the people they encountered?
                        They must find our features fascinating.

I mean, I personally find TJ's features extremely fascinating, so I don't blame them.

And, also [because I'm in a question-asking mood] if the aliens were not harmed by the fellow shooting at them, why did they bother to attack? It makes no sense that they would on the one hand form human features en masse, which appears to be them reaching out, and then kill someone whose bullets could not harm them.
                        Whether he was effectual in his attacks is irrelevant; what is relevant is that, to the creatures, he was attempting to harm them.

Originally posted by prion View Post
                        People are probably making a deal out of Young being injured as TV, and STargate, tend to make light of most injuries. Knocked out for 7 minutes? No problem. No nauseau, TBi, memory loss, nada. But then, hopefully people don't watch TV shows for medical advice... that's what Google is for!
                        When did someone get knocked out for 7 in-show minutes?

Comment

So far Universe has great potential but there is not enough action in the series for me I will continue to watch the series as I really like the franchise. I dont think I will however purchase the dvd's for Universe its not something I want to watch over and over I have purchased allt he other dvd's and or blu-rays of sg-1, atlantis and movies.

I really hope Universe gets a really nasty enemy race that will bump up the action wich would make Universe such a great show. The visuals from ship to cgi is outstanding its just that the plots are a little bit boring.

Spoiler:
                          Earth is looking promissing I wonder what they did to the stargate to make it emit high energy discharges as seen in the video preview. Looks like there is a bit more going on in this episode looking forward to it.

Comment

I believe SGU is actually a sequel of a mix of Battlestar Galactica, Farscape and a plenty of drama soap operas. This Stargate label is just some mistake that must be corrected
                            LONG LIVE THE WRAITH!
                            Member of the Wraith' Defenders Club
                            http://petitionspot.com/petitions/wraithrights/
                            My fan fiction

Comment

Originally posted by female Wraith View Post
                              I believe SGU is actually a sequel of a mix of Battlestar Galactica, Farscape and a plenty of drama soap operas. This Stargate label is just some mistake that must be corrected
                              Oh yes, the Stargate label must be fixed immediately! While we're at it, lets make sure to disinclude the Stargate itself, because this is not Stargate. Sorry, Richard Dean Anderson, Micheal Shanks and Amanda Tapping, but it's a total mistake on our part to have you appear as your Stargate characters in this show that is obviously not Stargate. The Hammond 304 ship? Goa'uld Ha'tak vessels? Common errors, because this is obviously not Stargate and those things shouldn't be in there.

What's that? An ship built by the Ancients? Woah, slow down there - do you mean the Stargate Ancients? Cause we accidentally put them in and continue to do so, even though this show is obviously not Stargate! Brad Wright, Robert Cooper, Carl Binder, Joesph Mallozzi, Paul Mullie, Martin Gero, Will Warring, Andy Mikita, Peter DeLuise - what are you past Stargate writers and directors doing here? This show isn't Stargate, so maybe you should be off working on Stargate, because SGU is definitely not Stargate at all. Ever.

Hey Syfy! Your advertisement people should quickly pull the ads advertising SGU as a new Stargate, because, well, it apparently isn't! How about that? Yeah, just remove every reference to Stargate, 'cause this show is obviously not Stargate. Hey, David Blue, Brian J. Smith, Elyse Levesque, Lou Diamond Phillips, Ming Na and Alaina Huffman - stop posting tweets on Twitter about Stargate Universe, or just lose the Stargate title, because this is obviously not Stargate we're talking about here.

Hey there random catering guy, why are you bringing those snacks to the Stargate Universe set? Didn't you know that they're dropping the Stargate title, because it's so obviously not Stargate?

Hey, Gateworld heads Darren and David, why do you keep referencing to Stargate Universe on your sites and in the forums? Seriously, because this show is obviously not Stargate - you should fix that mistake. Because, seriously, this show is obviously not Stargate at all. Nope. Honest mistake. How about that?

What's that? Oh, yeah, sorry fans of the new third series of Stargate, we have a problem! This show isn't Stargate, and we should not be watching it, obviously, because it's obviously not Stargate at all. Yeah, you can all just forget the last six episodes and the next fourteen, because this show is most definitely not Stargate in any fashion, obviously.

We're sorry for the inconvenience!
                              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                                And, well, as to the killer fireflies critters, why didn't they just stick a glass of water in an airlock, let 'em all go in, and then jettison them out the airlock?

And how many people yelled "Redshirt!" when Gorham foolishly shot bullets at them? I mean, geez, would this man also shoot recklessly at mosquitos? Oh well, one down, more to go...
                                There were no airlocks in places not already sealed off.
                                || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Working...
                                X