Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So has no one explained to the Lucien Alliance that Destiny is worthless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HaMm3r View Post
    It is a rather thin premise for a story, unless the LA has some yet to be revealed plan to get all their spoils back home. Honestly, why would they be working so hard to get to Destiny, only to be stuck out there? It makes no sense...yet.
    Telford seemed pretty convinced that the whole 'dialing Earth while in a star' thing would work, so maybe he told the LA that it would. And for all we know it could work, all we have is Rush's word that it won't (pretty clear he wants to stay on Destiny and who knows if they'd let him go back) and Eli's simulations, but for all we know he could have screwed them up.

Perfecto!

Comment

I don't think it is worthless at all. I just don't think our crew on board have really had enough time to sit down and really nut through what secrets the ship holds. Every 3 minutes something is breaking or some other dire life or death situation is popping up so they have been a little distracted. It is very possible that some Ancient text outlining some cool Destiny feature has been found by the LA and now they want it bad. One thing for sure is that there will be something....
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
        I don't think it is worthless at all. I just don't think our crew on board have really had enough time to sit down and really nut through what secrets the ship holds. Every 3 minutes something is breaking or some other dire life or death situation is popping up so they have been a little distracted. It is very possible that some Ancient text outlining some cool Destiny feature has been found by the LA and now they want it bad. One thing for sure is that there will be something....
        Agreed. Something tells me that the Lucian Alliance may know more about the Destiny than the Destiny crew members themselves.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
          Except the Lucian Alliance has no way of bringing any of the Destiny tech back to the Milky Way.
          or do they.......ahahahahahah! (they do, apparently)

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
            They can send the know-how on the stuff itself back via communication stones, not difficult. And how is that stuff not valuable, as you implied later on? This stuff is all way more advanced than anything the Goa'uld have, and that alone makes it well-worth the effort. Who would buy it? Are you kidding me? Who wouldn't!?
            Except in order to analyze the technology on the Destiny, they would need tools to disassemble and analyze it. Some of the more advanced technology on the Destiny would no doubt need to be dissembled in a factory.

And how do they know that the technology on Destiny is more advanced than Goa'uld technology? Goa'uld technology is based on Ancient technology and the stuff on the Destiny is much older than the Ancient technology left in the Milky Way.

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            What?

A handgun isn't useful for an combating an army, that doesn't make it something to ignore. A ship that gets its power directly from a star could probably be converted into something that can destroy stars. To say nothing of the defense possibilities of shielding that can survive the trip through a star.

Nobody says you need to bring a sample back, all you need is a gifted mind with an understanding of how it works in order to replicate it back in our neck of the woods.
            What are you talking about? How could technology used to power Destiny be altered to destroy a star? It's not like the Destiny sucks a star dry. All it does is scoop up some super heated plasma. Heck, the power they get from stars wouldn't even be that impressive. Stars are powered by fusion and not only do the Goa'uld already have the technology to create sustained nuclear fusion, the energy they get from Naquadah far exceeds it.

As for the defensive capability of shields that can survive inside a star, we know that raw shield strength is not correlated with its ability to survive attacks from energy weapons. Ha'tak shields can withstand multigigaton nukes but they fall quite easily to weapons that are far less powerful. The Ori mothership can survive an impact from a Ha'tak at full sub-light speed but they get taken down by the Asgard beams which generate a fraction of that energy. Heck, the most advanced weapon in the series, drones, are powerful not because of their explosive yield but because they're capable of completely bypassing shields.

Comment

What are you talking about? How could technology used to power Destiny be altered to destroy a star? It's not like the Destiny sucks a star dry. All it does is scoop up some super heated plasma. Heck, the power they get from stars wouldn't even be that impressive. Stars are powered by fusion and not only do the Goa'uld already have the technology to create sustained nuclear fusion, the energy they get from Naquadah far exceeds it.

As for the defensive capability of shields that can survive inside a star, we know that raw shield strength is not correlated with its ability to survive attacks from energy weapons. Ha'tak shields can withstand multigigaton nukes but they fall quite easily to weapons that are far less powerful. The Ori mothership can survive an impact from a Ha'tak at full sub-light speed but they get taken down by the Asgard beams which generate a fraction of that energy. Heck, the most advanced weapon in the series, drones, are powerful not because of their explosive yield but because they're capable of completely bypassing shields.
              You're thinking too narrowly, and not creative in the slightest. Sure Destiny "only" scoops up superheated plasma. A gun by itself is loud and restricted to one specific kind of bullet. Unless we take the operating principles and modify them so we can use different kinds of bullets for different purposes, and stick a silencer on the end to quiet it down should we feel the need.

There's all kinds of advanced and amazing technology there, all it takes is some modification in order to suit it to whatever purposes the LA may have in mind.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

It's pretty obvious that the ship is more than just a ship and that the LA knows about it, or have heard a legend about it.

There's a scene in the extended version of Air on the DVD that explains it futher:

Spoiler:
                [Eli and Rush are in the Control Interface Room, discussing the ship and the particulars of their situation.]

ELI
                Who is this Lucian Alliance, anyway?

RUSH
                Where did that come from?

ELI
                I just want to know who to blame for this.

RUSH
                They’re a human coalition made up from various Milky Way planets, formed in the power vacuum left behind when the Goa’uld were defeated. They’re criminals mostly…street gang with starships.

ELI
                How’d they find out about Icarus? Wasn’t it supposed to be like double secret?

RUSH
                I suspect there was a leak somewhere, someone working on the inside. The legend surrounding the ninth chevron has been floating around our galaxy for some time now. We found that it meant various things to different cultures. Some said it was a key to the universe itself, and once unlocked, you would gain untold power. Now if the Lucian Alliance knew that we discovered the address and the means to dial, they’d want it.

The Lucian Alliance will want Destiny once they find out about its existence (MGM)

ELI
                This ship…is a source of untold power?

RUSH
                No, no, no, not literally. It’s more to do with what it’s doing…the information it’s capable of gathering.

ELI
                If you know how to use it…

RUSH
                Yeah.

ELI
                That’s what you’re after, isn’t it? Why you risked everything to get here; you think this ship is gonna make you all-powerful or something crazy like that…

RUSH
                Eli, if I could find a way to send all these people home safely and then return with a properly-skilled team to pursue this mission as intended, why wouldn’t I want to do that?

ELI
                I don’t know.

RUSH
                Aha…

Source

Comment

i think they would LOVE to throw someone in the control chair, wait a few months for the person to stabilize and unravel the power of the ancients.

also i doubt the LA have people with the ATA gene

Comment

The Lucien Alliance? No, I don't think so.

The Lucian Alliance, meanwhile, probably knows. They don't care. Kiva just wants her own show, and since one set on the Destiny is currently airing, hijacking is the best way to go.
                    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by Arturis View Post
                      Seriously! Especially when compared to Atlantis and all of the other cool stuff they could steal from Earth in the Milky Way.
                      what makes you think Destiny's worthless?
                      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

is it inconceivable Telford told them about the events in earth and they are going to bring better power conduits with them so the sit in a star and dial thing can work.

They have to know something more though surely they are a huge coalition of different groups they must have knowledge earth doesn't

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          i think they would LOVE to throw someone in the control chair, wait a few months for the person to stabilize and unravel the power of the ancients.

also i doubt the LA have people with the ATA gene
                          Destiny predates the ATA technology, though, so why would it matter?

As an aside, that explains why Atlantis would be useless to them, lacking personnel that could actually use half of its systems.
                          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            You're thinking too narrowly, and not creative in the slightest. Sure Destiny "only" scoops up superheated plasma. A gun by itself is loud and restricted to one specific kind of bullet. Unless we take the operating principles and modify them so we can use different kinds of bullets for different purposes, and stick a silencer on the end to quiet it down should we feel the need.

There's all kinds of advanced and amazing technology there, all it takes is some modification in order to suit it to whatever purposes the LA may have in mind.
                            By that logic, the Lucian Alliance already has the technology to destroy stars and even galaxies. All they need to do is gather enough Naquadah and they can blow up anything. Any technology can be made to do other things with sufficient modification but the degree to which you have to modify it and the benefit to resource cost ratio plays a significant role. Just because the basic principles of a hand gun can be used to make bigger guns and cannons, even ones that are more destructive than nuclear weapons, doesn't make hand gun technology more destructive than nuclear technology. It's a lot easier to build a nuke than to make a gun with the destructive power of a nuke.

Comment

Other than earth, who would buy it?
                              Anyone with anything the LA wants badly enough in exchange.

Comment

The sun diving recharge would be economically brilliant, the currency in the MW is naquadah which is an energy source if the LA no longer had to use it to power things they would be richer

Also anything to help them with setting up an industrial base a hell of a lot of gould knowledge died with them plus that was based on mass slave labour which is not really an option any more (though it gives a new use for kassa addicts) so the robot tech could be good as well.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Working...
                                X