The Aliens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
    They reminded me of the renegade Asgard that we saw in SGA. Except those were cooler and smarter. These didn't appear to be formidable enemies as they were intelligent, but not that bright, and they weren't strong either (Rush took one down pretty easily).
    Sometimes a mother will gather the strength to lift a car over her shoulder to save the life of her baby.

Comment

They seam advanced? They are utterly weak, i mean destiny beat them off, destiny the same ship whose systems are down, aged and broken. Their shields go down in a few hits on the shuttles, and whose combined firepower barely did anything to destiny which had utterly failing shields. A 304 would take those aliens out in a couple of shots...They also do not have hyperspace or teleportation devices.
      Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
      Anime signature in spoiler tag
      Spoiler:
      Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

they've only been in one ep...im sure they got other technology that is advanced that we havent seen yet, so u can't really judge them yet
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jhkplaya888 View Post
          They seam advanced? They are utterly weak, i mean destiny beat them off, destiny the same ship whose systems are down, aged and broken. Their shields go down in a few hits on the shuttles, and whose combined firepower barely did anything to destiny which had utterly failing shields. A 304 would take those aliens out in a couple of shots...They also do not have hyperspace or teleportation devices.
          A 70 year old dreadnought could still shoot down a canoe.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

So are we (the fans) going to be adopting the name "smurfs" to these aliens?

I think Alien Smurfs or Smurf Aliens is a GREAT name.

It would be great if a character like Eli called them that as well.

Comment

I vote for Alien Smurfs.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                So what? It is a TV show.
                Well, when you'repromised aliens that are 'truly alien', bipedal, four limbed, two eye humanoids are not really what comes to mind.

Comment

Only thing, I would have liked to see some variety with the aliens. Different outfits and facial features. In "Space" they all appeared to be just copies of each other.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                    Only thing, I would have liked to see some variety with the aliens. Different outfits and facial features. In "Space" they all appeared to be just copies of each other.
                    Human brains aren't geared no notice differences in the faces of other species. A squirrel for example will look pretty much the same as any other to most people, but they're as varied as human faces. I remember watching an interesting documentary about how toddlers can recognise squirrel faces, and other animals as easily as we can recognise people, but as they/we grow up the pathways in the brain used for it go dormant though lack of use.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                      Human brains aren't geared no notice differences in the faces of other species. A squirrel for example will look pretty much the same as any other to most people, but they're as varied as human faces. I remember watching an interesting documentary about how toddlers can recognise squirrel faces, and other animals as easily as we can recognise people, but as they/we grow up the pathways in the brain used for it go dormant though lack of use.
                      Okay, that changed my opinion about their faces, but not about outfits.
                      sigpic

Comment

haloplayer: Yeah! I vote for Smurfs

They are coming...Smurfs!

Comment

They also do not have hyperspace or teleportation devices.
                          We have no idea how their space travel works, for all we know it could be faster than hyperspace. As for teleportation, they could well have it, even in the MW the advanced races there can't beam through a shielded ship, which the destiny was.

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                            Additionally, octopi, dolphins, whales and even elephants are all shown to have varying levels of intelligence, and none of those are bipedal.
                            While this is true, none of the species you mention are ever very likely to manage to develop advanced technology in their current physical form. (And races with advanced technology are the only ones relevant to speak about in this context.)

There's no real reason to assume bipedalism has anything to do with our particular intelligence.
                            Again true, but our physical appearance does play a big part in our ability to manipulate the world around us to suit our needs and eventually develop advanced equipment, helping us to further increase our intellect.

It's simply hard to make technologically advanced aliens that are completely "truely alien" because we have no way of even imagining how these life forms and their technology would look like. It's not implausible to assume that if there is planets similar to earth out there (i.e. similar plant life, similar tempratures and atmospherical make up etc) then life on such planets is reasonably similar to lifeforms on earth.

And besides, this is a tv show, and the aliens we encounter have to be capable of interacting somewhat with the human crew on destiny. Abstract and weird aliens like the razor-blade things wouldn't work very well as an antagonist alien.

As for their technological level and apparent military strength, at least I'm glad they weren't like the Wraith and the Goa'uld - super duper crazy strong and impossible to kill the first time we see them, then later on 1 shot with a glock equals 1 kill. Consistency this time plx.

They also do not have hyperspace or teleportation devices.
                            I think its quite clear that their means of travel were at least faster than Destiny. Now if we only knew how fast Destiny is ^^
                            Last edited by smooTh__; 04 April 2010, 04:59 AM.

Comment

I've been pondering a theory over the last few hours whilst ii've been working and i think i may be on to something...i hope. The smurf aliens are the furlings....and before you all say 'yeah, unlikely' hear me out. the furlings and the ancients were in an alliance so it would make sense then that the furlings would know of destinys existence. plus we can safely assume that the ship from the end of Air belonged to the smurf aliens. so my theory is the furlings found out about destiny via the ancients and went there to help out there old friends, or maybe were told to by the ancients coz they couldn't be bothered and were busy with other things. so the furlings have been on board destiny for all this time (maybe awaiting orders from the ancients) and then got scared off by the sudden arrival of the earth crew (still don't know why they were frightened, either there was only a small group on destiny and there was a large amount of people coming through and that scared them) and yeah that's my theory, now you may say 'yeah, unlikely' haha
                              sigpic

Comment

They most likely didn't want to hurt Destiny. They aren't interested in destroying it, they want it or themselves.
                                sigpic
                                All good things must come to an end...

Comment

Working...
                                X