Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why was it so important that SGU could not go one episode without Rush on the ship. It was a massive shock to leave Ruch behind at the end of the season and bringing him back so quickly cheapens the effect. I for one would have been very interested to see a side story that followed Rush getting into the ship making contact with the Aliens and seeing where that went.
    At the moment it is Phobos (though time is limited; it is suppose to crash into Mars in the next 100 million years )

Comment

It would have been interesting to see the crew go more than half one episode without rush there, just so they knew exactly how important he was to the ship running..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        It would have been interesting to see the crew go more than half one episode without rush there, just so they knew exactly how important he was to the ship running..
        Exactly, even with Eli, Rush still knows way more about Ancient technology and is the go-to-guy when the ship has problems. I am not sure why they handled this situation like they did.
        At the moment it is Phobos (though time is limited; it is suppose to crash into Mars in the next 100 million years )

Comment

Indeed, it would have been interesting to have them live without Rush for a while longer. Still, the conflict between Young and Rush is too interesting to leave alone for long. That said, I'm glad the blue aliens were really alien.
          sigpic

Comment

Hello!

I for one was glad that Rush was not left out of the action for long. I mean I feel that the ship and the the crew needs him. However Rush needed to be stopped for a while to see a bigger picture. Rush has seen the bigger picture. Rush will get better slowly in regards to thinking about others.

I feel that the feelings of many on Destiny would have continued to get much worse against Young who is also needed by everyone. Young can keep an open mind about things even Rush who does try his patience.

I really am intrigued by the blue aliens. Do they get a name later on as the series goes on?

I think that it is interesting that Chloe got taken by the aliens. I wonder if there is something about her that might be special somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
              Indeed, it would have been interesting to have them live without Rush for a while longer. Still, the conflict between Young and Rush is too interesting to leave alone for long. That said, I'm glad the blue aliens were really alien.
              How many eps do you think it should have been? 2? 4??

Comment

Even though it was a character-based SG series, it couldn't break away from tradition; as such, this episode which contains the first major signs of action for the show. This is also our introduction to those blue alien fellows, the one who have been following Destiny around for ages.

It's good for the first few minutes, we finally get those higher stakes that push our characters to the brink and show them what they're made of. Young gets to show off his commander side, yelling, pushing characters to do things not normally possible, trying to hold it all together. Eli managing to utilize his science side in order to manage the status's of the Destiny. Scott/Greer managing to fight an alien ship in space. This is really great for the purpose of the show as it states that this isn't going to be just a ship floating around in space, there's got to be something behind it and the characters? Seeing them under attack like that gave them a brief moment of elevation, one which really led me into their world.

Unfortunately after those first few minutes it gets boring. The CGI is good but personally I have never been a fan of Stargate's space battles. I just thought of them as insubstantial, flashy and boring; even in "Atlantis" I dreaded those space battles, this is unfortunately what Stargate is now but it was about exploration, it was about the crew, it was about the gate. I will admit that they managed to combine Star Trek and Star Wars in a way that's unique and at least different from the pack, I will also admit that I somewhat enjoyed the Star Wars prequels but I'll be damned if I could feel anything for the battles, anything for our heroes, actually remember it in vivid detail which is what these battles unfortunately are; fun battles that bring you in with explosions but don't provide anything else after that.

Speaking of Star Wars, we finally get our first sight of aliens and I was disappointed because they're not the true unknown of which the creators spoke of. This was one of the reasons why I watched the show and to see them take a book out of sci-fi 101 and create creatures that anybody could think of, that just really diluted the potential mystique of the show and one of the things that could of actually defined the show had they used it. They do prove to be a good threat, torturing Rush (and somewhat adding to his character at that), kidnapping Chloe in one of the few memorable scenes of the series and actually providing a unique usage to the communication stones which doesn't involve Earth. It also provides Rush with some pretty compelling scenes, it was pretty fun to see him tortured, killing aliens as if it were nothing, yelling like a natural scottish person would and more importantly, showing that he isn't just a manipulative person.

But despite that, it was still boring. I'm guessing it was the characters/situation. There just wasn't anything that truly grabbed you, made it engaging; there was a feeling that the characters would make it out alive, there wasn't a feeling that all of this wasn't as it was seems, there were even a few action shots here and there we've seen before in Stargate. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good episode overall but it should of grabbed me and make me a believer of this ship, actually make the show worth something. Speaking of which, Rush was left behind in the episode before it and in this he reappears; it's a problem with the show unfortunately, the unwillingness to leave it's main characters behind for a number of episodes. It would actually add to the believability if they were gone for 3-4 episodes, we'd think "are they truly gone, will they be rescued, man is this a different show from Stargate's past." but the show doesn't bother to take that risk and it shows in future episodes when after insisting they're not going to return, they return. In here it's somewhat acceptable because of some character interaction but ultimately in a show like this, it's a major detraction. If a character is stranded on a planet, he should remain stranded for some time.

Tomorrow, a mutiny. I am not looking forward to this at all.
                Back from the grave.

Comment

Good ep.

First appearance of the Smurfs. Young would have got quite the shock.

God Camille is annoying.

Yay first space battle. Alien ships look boring. The smaller fighters seem to have strange looking shields.

Nice and smart of Chloe to stand underneath the the alien made hole.

Nice of them to offer Rush a ride home. And they have mind reading technology, cool. I must say I'm glad they can't speak English like most of the aliens in SG-1 and Atlantis.

I do love Destiny's main weapon. But I wish it was more powerful. The ammunition hardly looks any bigger than the other weapons ammunition.

Look out Young, the Camille and Rush duo are out to get you.
                  sigpic

Comment

Great episode.

Lt. James, talking without realizing the radio was still on. That was great.

Cool aliens and ships. I also notice that during the first battle, the score during the evacuation sequence near the end of the first part of Air.

What else, what am I forgetting.

Tomorrow, the conflict between the Military and the civilians.
                    sigpic

Comment

This was one of the few occasions where the use of the stones was actually inventive.

It was fascinating to see Young ending up in a place he didn't expect. I have to wonder though how he didn't show any signs of distress or awkwardness on finding himself in a totally alien body. It clearly wouldn't work in the same way, and I wondered if his conscious and subconsious way of knowing how to walk and breathe for instance would be compatible with the alien physiology. It would have been fun to have the aliens see Young trying to get the legs to move properly and to be seen as probably the blue alien version of drunk by the others on the ship!

Whether it was his training and experience with the SGC that helped keep him calm in unexpected situations, or this fact was just overlooked is something I thought had some interesting aspects to explore! The closest attempt at addressing this that I saw was when Rush offered the neural interface device to Young in the alien body, and Young showed awkwardness in trying to manipulate the alien fingers to take the device from Rush.

I actually loved the fact that the aliens chose the one English word, starkly standing out amongst the Ancient text on the display screen as a totally unexpected use of Earth's language by aliens. Here the joke of aliens speaking English isn't a joke, they are using what they learned from Rush, but we didn't know that at the time so making it even more startling as to how they would know English! It added to the feeling of unease at being wrong footed by the actions of a totally unknown alien species, a nice touch.

Chloe's moth to a flame move on being faced with the hole cut by the alien ship was really daft. 'Oooh look, pretty shiny light' good grief, I'd be running the other way to warn someone something unusual was going on! I suppose you could look at it that the aliens detected her and used mind control to get her close enough to pull her up into their ship, but it was hard to tell if that was indeed the case.

Finding Rush was a surprise though, pretty unexpected I remember thinking when I first saw this. The different emotions that ran across Young's face on seeing him was priceless. What a thing to be faced with, save him and his dirty secret would be out, or leave him and then really not be able to live with the guilt of leaving him to suffer a horrible fate a second time!

All in all, an episode I quite enjoyed for a little bit of everything, aliens, explosions and mind bending experiences!

Comment

Chloe's moth to a flame move on being faced with the hole cut by the alien ship was really daft. 'Oooh look, pretty shiny light' good grief, I'd be running the other way to warn someone something unusual was going on! I suppose you could look at it that the aliens detected her and used mind control to get her close enough to pull her up into their ship, but it was hard to tell if that was indeed the case.
                        IMO it is the same reason in nearly ANY disaster flick, you see kids ignoring the warnings of their parents (or other elders) and doing the exact opposite, getting into danger thus forcing our heroes to risk life and limb to rescue them.

Comment

If common sense were actually common, there would be very few heroes because people wouldn't get themselves into the situations that need heroes.

Seaboe
                          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Midweek, another ep of SGU

1. Again...annoying that people felt that Rush was so essential to the Destiny.

2. Cool moments between Scott and Greer.

3. To what extent the Blues can communicate with us is an interesting question. Speech is clearly a problem.

4. Forgot about that scene at the end. Oh boy...

Great ep to Rewatch though!
                            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

This is one of my favorite episodes from season 1. The communication stones were used well. I loved the look of the aliens. Their method of communication/getting info was interesting.

Chloe looking up through the hole that the aliens had just cut into the ship seemed a bit silly.

Young's surprise and guilt when he found Rush alive on the alien ship were well done. I don't think Young fired on the alien ship to try to kill Rush before anyone else found out he was still alive.

I liked the scene with Wray and Rush at the end of the episode.

Overall, I thought it was a great episode, and I really enjoyed it.
                              sigpic

Comment

I remember getting into a long winded arguement with a poster about how Greer blindly followed Scott to save Chloe. I felt that it was clearly in line with Greer's character. Was it rational? Probably not. But its consistent with how Greer respects people who follow their heart and the well being of others. I remember thinking how awesome it was for Destiny to finally being able to use its weapons. We were clearly on the losing end of the battle for this one but it was still interesting to see none the less. Rush goes back to his selfish motives in this episode. Sure Young stranded him on that planet but he would be stuck on that Blue ship if not for Young. Interesting how omitts that and the framing of Young. I say once again it shows Rush's mantipulation of others to suit his own goals. The communication stones use was an interesting side effect. Obviously the Blue had a stone that Rush had hidden but it makes me wonder what the Blues were using as a communication terminal. I found the James stuff with Caine uncessary and just a space filler. I would have prefered more scenes of the crew doubting Young or more of the civilians whining about the military as setup for Divided
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X