Wray and Rush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
    If Scott starts calling Greer "Huggybear" I am so out of here...

regards,
    G.
    *epic cringe*
    yikes, I hope to never hear that kind of name, LOL!

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
    I'm waiting for the first time Rush or Young uses the other's first name. I predict sometime in season two . . .
    That should prove to be really interesting, so yep, waiting and seeing
    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I'm an academic, and I use title+last name if I don't know the person well, but usually switch to first names once we know one another. That said, in front of student or others, I might still use title+last name. So you are my colleague Dr. Jane Smith, when we are together, working or socializing, I call you Jane, but when I speak of you in the third person to others I might refer to you as Dr. Smith (or Professor Smith).

Rush called Dr. Perry "Mandy", because they are friends. Brody is "Mr. Brody" (presumably no Ph.D., but rather a master's in engineering), Volker is "Dr. Volker", etc. because he doesn't consider them friends - or because he wants to make sure they don't consider him a friend.

There is also a bit of using just last name in academics/science - "Have you read Smith's last paper? Brilliant!" - I personally answer my phone with just my last name, and that is not uncommon.
      Thanks for the answer. What you've explained is not that much different from our habits, with the exception that it depends on the Department you're in. Medics, and jurists, for example are much more formal than maybe humanists, or also natural scientists, and use more titles than I'm used to. (I thought a PhD is a doctor of philosophy, so a degree for an humanist?). The difference I'm familiar with is, that you use only family names with colleagues you don't know, and first name with your friends and close colleagues. That's clearly different. Everything els is a question of distance, or not, same here.
      Remarkable is still that Young never use the academic title with Rush, but with other scientists. Lac of respect? Or just to make it short?
      sigpic

Comment

Or, that Rush wants to maintain his own control and command with regards to the other scientists on board. If he keeps them thinking that they work for him it will support his position of authority.
        That's an interesting thought, but a scientist in a position of authority will usually use first names for his/her subordinates (at least, in the US and UK, the only two places where I've worked), not address them by title and last name - I still think it is Rush using formality to make distance, rather than asserting authority.

Originally posted by Artemis-Neith View Post
        I thought a PhD is a doctor of philosophy, so a degree for an humanist?
        No, a PhD is the general term for someone with a doctorate. You can have a doctorate of philosophy in physics, in mathematics, in biology, in French Romantic poetry, etc. The other possible doctorates are an MD (doctorate of medicine), a JD (doctorate of jurisprudence or law), etc.

I don't know what Rush's PhD is in, but it is almost certain that he has a PhD (or perhaps several!) - almost all lead scientists would have one, and certainly a professor at a major US or Canadian or UK university would have one.
        sigpic
        Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

I'm pretty sure I've heard Young refer to Rush when speaking to others, or when speaking directly to him, as "Dr. Rush". True, it doesn't happen all of the time, and maybe he has become merely Rush more often than Dr. Rush as the show has progressed.

regards,
          G.
          Go for Marty...

Comment

I'm pretty sure I've heard Young refer to Rush when speaking to others, or when speaking directly to him, as "Dr. Rush". True, it doesn't happen all of the time, and maybe he has become merely Rush more often than Dr. Rush as the show has progressed.

regards,
            G.
            I think it has happened occasionally, I can think of a couple of times when he refers to Rush in the third person as "Dr. Rush" - but directly to him, almost always it is just "Rush". And this is from the very beginning - even on the Icarus base. While Rush always (almost always? I bet there are a few exceptions) calls Young "Colonel Young" or just "Colonel".

I want to re-watch "Pain" regarding this point - I'm wondering about when Rush called Young on the radio for help during his hallucination. He was very afraid and freaking out - what did he call Young then? "Colonel Young"? Just "Young"?

Do we have a transcript that I can check?
            sigpic

Comment

from Pain transcript:
              In his quarters, Rush listens carefully, trying to make out any noise outside. Not hearing anything, he hurries over to his radio, grabs it and activates it.

RUSH: Colonel Young, come in.

(He gets nothing but static. He tries again.)

RUSH: Colonel Young, do you read?
              sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

You guys are quick! Apparently I can't green you - feh.

But that is interesting, no? Even freaking out, it is "Colonel Young".
                sigpic

Comment

It is "Col. Young". When I first heard it I wasn't sure if he had said just Young. I put it down to the accent. You know, his lines in "Trainspotting" had to be sub-titled for North American audiences....

regards,
                  G.
                  Go for Marty...

Comment

I've never had any trouble with Carlyle's accent - and on Stargate, he noticeably tones it down (compare what you hear onscreen with his real accent, which you can hear in the interviews on SyFy's website) - but I used to live in Scotland, so maybe I have an unfair advantage.
                    sigpic

Comment

I've never had any trouble with Carlyle's accent - and on Stargate, he noticeably tones it down (compare what you hear onscreen with his real accent, which you can hear in the interviews on SyFy's website) - but I used to live in Scotland, so maybe I have an unfair advantage.
                      Carlyle's accent in SGU is very good understandable, even for non English natives.

Is it possible that Young refers to Rush normally only as Rush because he considers him as a kind of subordinate? In fact, and the little mutiny didn't changed a lot here, is Young in command of the whole mission, and therefore also superior to Rush and his team. Just a thought, maybe not correct.
                      sigpic

Comment

Is it possible that Young refers to Rush normally only as Rush because he considers him as a kind of subordinate?
                        I don't think so, only because you would think that Young would think the same of the rest of the science team - and yet they are usually addressed as "Dr. Volker", "Dr. Park" (I can't remember if he refers to Brody as "Brody" or "Mr. Brody"). While Young never (almost never?) calls Rush "Dr. Rush" to his face.
                        sigpic

Comment

Carlyle's accent in SGU is very good understandable, even for non English natives.

Is it possible that Young refers to Rush normally only as Rush because he considers him as a kind of subordinate? In fact, and the little mutiny didn't changed a lot here, is Young in command of the whole mission, and therefore also superior to Rush and his team. Just a thought, maybe not correct.
                          Re: Caryle's accent, my tongue was planted firmly in my cheek. I have no issues with understanding him in SGU, and having grandparents from Glasgow I didn't have any problem understanding him in "Trainspotting".

Young was in command of Icarus base, which put Rush under Young's authority. That being said, why not (almost) always refer to the other academics by just their last name?

regards,
                          G.
                          Go for Marty...

Comment

That being said, why not (almost) always refer to the other academics by just their last name?
                            Exactly - what makes Rush so special? Or not special, as the case may be. I think it tells us something about how Young thinks of Rush, but I'm not totally sure what. Obviously, Rush makes him mental (see "justice") - only Telford apparently pisses Young off more.
                            sigpic

Comment

I don't think so, only because you would think that Young would think the same of the rest of the science team - and yet they are usually addressed as "Dr. Volker", "Dr. Park" (I can't remember if he refers to Brody as "Brody" or "Mr. Brody"). While Young never (almost never?) calls Rush "Dr. Rush" to his face.
                              Yes, that's right, so just one of Young's habits, whatever it may mean to him. So, Rush keeps the distance to Young and his people by referring them with their military rank, the same with nearly everybody else, with the exception of Eli, cos he's a kind of student and Chloe, who is a little bit closer to him in between.
                              sigpic

Comment

Yes, that's right, so just one of Young's habits, whatever it may mean to him. So, Rush keeps the distance to Young and his people by referring them with their military rank, the same with nearly everybody else, with the exception of Eli, cos he's a kind of student and Chloe, who is a little bit closer to him in between.
                                And also Wray, whom he calls "Camille" (finally getting back to the topic of the thread, sorry for the diversion into Rush & Young) - why her? She isn't like Eli (who as you mention is a bit like a student of his) or Chloe (with whom he shared the alien abduction experience, so maybe now they are closer).

Why does Rush call her "Camille" and why is Wray the only person on board (until the visit by Dr. Perry) to ever call Rush by his first name?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X