Wray and Rush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
    I too believed Rush wanted to speak to Wray regarding events while she was body-swapped.

I'm not sure we will ever see what was (or would have been) said between these characters, unless the writers bring back the Mandy character. Not long after they were confronted by Young, we see them talking in the mess hall (Rush is explaining something to Wray). Obviously they have had time and opportunity to speak privately and by their behavior/body language etc there is not any apparent awkwardness between them. Rush does not look "shy" and Wray doesn't look aloof. This says to me that the subject was not revisited.

Speaking to Wray on this point is/was important to Rush. After he screwed up his courage to speak to her that first time, and had that unfortunate interruption, he has likely thought better of it and will not approach her again on this subject.

This allows the writing staff a future shot at major awkwardness between these two characters. A month or so after Mandy's next appearance Wray starts complaining to TJ about feeling ill in the morning...

regards,
    G.
    Could you imagine!

Comment

Not long after they were confronted by Young, we see them talking in the mess hall (Rush is explaining something to Wray). Obviously they have had time and opportunity to speak privately and by their behavior/body language etc there is not any apparent awkwardness between them. Rush does not look "shy" and Wray doesn't look aloof. This says to me that the subject was not revisited.
      My thought was that that was part of Greer's delusions.

Perfecto!

Comment

Not long after they were confronted by Young, we see them talking in the mess hall (Rush is explaining something to Wray). Obviously they have had time and opportunity to speak privately and by their behavior/body language etc there is not any apparent awkwardness between them. Rush does not look "shy" and Wray doesn't look aloof. This says to me that the subject was not revisited.
        Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
        It was for sure a delusion, every time Greer saw Rush and Wray in his deliusion together Wray weared a dark red sweater with short sleeves (what she had also during the muntiny), wheras she wears in reality a turqoise shirt and a black jacket.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
          That may well be the case. We didn't see Rush or Wray interacting with anyone other than each other.

I was thinking about who was infected and how they got that way. Original infectees were: Scott, James, Dunning(?) aka "Snake", and Dr. Volker. Cpl. Barnes was planet-side but was not infected. Subsequent tickers were: Rush, Greer and Armstrong. So, who is the most likely candidate for initial infection? I'm saying Scott.

Planet-side, he likely came in content with the ticks. Having James along, she would (unconsciously) steer Barnes away from Scott (her man, at least in her own mind). James would have no problem with close contact between Scott and the other guys in the group. After Scott had infected everyone (except Barnes), they returned to the ship where Volker infected Rush, and Scott infected Greer and Armstrong.

regards,
          G.
          Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis-Neith View Post
            It was for sure a delusion, every time Greer saw Rush and Wray in his deliusion together Wray weared a dark red sweater with short sleeves (what she had also during the muntiny), wheras she wears in reality a turqoise shirt and a black jacket.
            Good eye! I put it down to Wray having only minimal wardrobe choices.

regards,
            G.
            Go for Marty...

Comment

Hard to say if it was part hallucination or reality, but that would make a good conversation I think.
              sigpic

Comment

You know, Rush and Wray have an interesting (and hard to figure out) relationship. Wray is the only person on board Destiny that calls Rush by his first name - she often calls him "Nicholas", which implies something, but I'm not sure what. He also often calls her "Camille" - everyone else is "Colonel Young", or "Lt. Scott", or "Lt. Johannson". He does call Eli by his first name, and he recently started calling Chloe "Chloe" instead of "Miss Armstrong".

So do we think they were friends (or friendly colleagues) prior to Destiny?

Edited to add:
                I just realized that Rush also tends to refer to the science team by title and last name - "Mr. Brody", "Dr. Volker", "Dr. Park" - as well.
                sigpic
                Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
                  You know, Rush and Wray have an interesting (and hard to figure out) relationship. Wray is the only person on board Destiny that calls Rush by his first name - she often calls him "Nicholas", which implies something, but I'm not sure what. He also often calls her "Camille" - everyone else is "Colonel Young", or "Lt. Scott", or "Lt. Johannson". He does call Eli by his first name, and he recently started calling Chloe "Chloe" instead of "Miss Armstrong".

Edited to add:
                  I just realized that Rush also tends to refer to the science team by title and last name - "Mr. Brody", "Dr. Volker", "Dr. Park" - as well.
                  That's a pretty valid point, and people do tend to have certain names for each other depending on how close they are or how much they respect them. With the mix of civilian and military, it can be confusing though, as it's very common for military personnel to refer to someone by their last name. Then again, you have people calling Greer Ron or Ronald, and Young calling Scott Matthew or the further endearment of son, and also TJ Tamara. And TJ is more often referred to simply as TJ by everyone, even among the military section, with her only infrequently being referred to as Johansen. The Mr's and Dr's before the civilian's names is also that sign of respect. Which of course has me think of why Eli is always Eli, and not Mr Wallace unless the idea of calling 'the kid' Mr Wallace is weird. It's a bit of a jumble but I think the popping up of more informal names of reference is perhaps a sign that they are looking at each other in less stilted ways? I love this stuff, all the unsaid things and the language underneath it all. I doubt they'll all start referring to each other by their first names (especially amongst the military, that's a hard habit to break), but it is neat to see that it's happening. They're coming together nicely.
                  sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

As you've mentioned, using title+last name can be a sign of respect, but it can also be a distancing mechanism - the fact that Rush seems to do that for everyone except Eli, Wray and now Chloe seems to me to be more having to do with keeping his distance than just showing respect.

I'm pretty sure that, for at least a while there, he held Young in utmost contempt, but he always refers to him as "Colonel Young" to his face, not "Young".

Young, on the other hand, usually grants the science team the respect of using title+last name ("Dr. Park", "Dr. Volker") when directly addressing them, but Rush is always "Rush", not "Dr. Rush". I think that is significant, too.

I should make a graph . . . perhaps some sort of network with different types of arrows showing different forms of addressing people . . .
                    sigpic

Comment

Edited to add:
                      Yeah, that's interesting, I've also noticed that. My first impression was maybe they're in the (non military) command structure on the same level, and, if they know each other since some years now, also more familiar. That there's a difference with the military staff is something I can understand. Where I cannot follow is the way the academics calls each other. I got the impression, that we do this completely different in Germany. E.g. if someone has an academic title, normally you don't use the same academic title with your colleague, especially not if you was a professor at university, in the case of Rush. I think, that is a simply cultural disparity, I don't really understand. So, if somebody have more experience with this topic, don't hesitate to explain it. Anyway, it is a remarkable point.
                      sigpic

Comment

As you've mentioned, using title+last name can be a sign of respect, but it can also be a distancing mechanism - the fact that Rush seems to do that for everyone except Eli, Wray and now Chloe seems to me to be more having to do with keeping his distance than just showing respect.

I'm pretty sure that, for at least a while there, he held Young in utmost contempt, but he always refers to him as "Colonel Young" to his face, not "Young".

Young, on the other hand, usually grants the science team the respect of using title+last name ("Dr. Park", "Dr. Volker") when directly addressing them, but Rush is always "Rush", not "Dr. Rush". I think that is significant, too.

I should make a graph . . . perhaps some sort of network with different types of arrows showing different forms of addressing people . . .
                        yep, that's where some difficulty comes in to it as well, I think, because last names will always sound distancing to non-military personnel and there may be this assumption that because last names are used, that they soldiers are keeping them at a distance. It serves the same purpose for the civilians, referring to the soldiers by last name, as a distancing mechanism.

You're completely right about Young though. It's like steps that he takes towards getting personal. Is he using a first name to reach you? Like with Tamara during Air 1 when he really needed to pull her away or on Faith and Lost with Scott, where he called him first Matthew and then (another step) son? Is he using last names without title because he a) feels he's spoken to you enough to be on a first name basis (military wise) and refers to you by last name-no title to be friendly, or b) doesn't respect you enough to use one or c) is fed up with your crap and wants you to open the door already (James in Pain).

Our pet names for people (and we haven't seen much of that other than Math Boy) say a lot about how we feel about each other. I think that so many of these names are softening at all is a good sign.
                        Last edited by xxxevilgrinxxx; 19 May 2010, 09:27 AM. Reason: pottymouth
                        sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis-Neith View Post
                          Where I cannot follow is the way the academics calls each other. I got the impression, that we do this completely different in Germany. E.g. if someone has an academic title, normally you don't use the same academic title with your colleague, especially not if you was a professor at university, in the case of Rush.
                          I'm an academic, and I use title+last name if I don't know the person well, but usually switch to first names once we know one another. That said, in front of student or others, I might still use title+last name. So you are my colleague Dr. Jane Smith, when we are together, working or socializing, I call you Jane, but when I speak of you in the third person to others I might refer to you as Dr. Smith (or Professor Smith).

Rush called Dr. Perry "Mandy", because they are friends. Brody is "Mr. Brody" (presumably no Ph.D., but rather a master's in engineering), Volker is "Dr. Volker", etc. because he doesn't consider them friends - or because he wants to make sure they don't consider him a friend.

There is also a bit of using just last name in academics/science - "Have you read Smith's last paper? Brilliant!" - I personally answer my phone with just my last name, and that is not uncommon.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                            Our pet names for people (and we haven't seen much of that other than Math Boy) say a lot about how we feel about each other. I think that so many of these names are softening at all is a good sign.
                            If Scott starts calling Greer "Huggybear" I am so out of here...

regards,
                            G.
                            Go for Marty...

Comment

I'm waiting for the first time Rush or Young uses the other's first name. I predict sometime in season two . . .
                              sigpic

Comment

Rush called Dr. Perry "Mandy", because they are friends. Brody is "Mr. Brody" (presumably no Ph.D., but rather a master's in engineering), Volker is "Dr. Volker", etc. because he doesn't consider them friends - or because he wants to make sure they don't consider him a friend.
                                Or, that Rush wants to maintain his own control and command with regards to the other scientists on board. If he keeps them thinking that they work for him it will support his position of authority. I'm not suggesting that this is necessarily being done consciously but rather as a continuation of how things were done back on Icarus base.

BTW: hasn't Col. Young has been getting grief for that kind of thinking since the show started...?

regards,
                                G.
                                Go for Marty...

Comment

Working...
                                X