This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Petra View Post
    Rush - second ep in a row when I liked Rush. Woo hoo. Although I agree with the comments that it felt a bit OOC for him to succumb to his hallucinations so quickly and easily, and he didn't question them. I'm also curious what he wanted to talk about with Wray - as somebody else said, I too think it had something to do with Mandy.
    Good point. Wouldn't it just be the kicker if Rush (as the logic based, not overly emotional chap that he ist portrayed to be) just came out and asked Wray all nicely if he could have some more intimate moments with Mandy while she visited the Destiny in Camilles body? Showing that he is actually caring about consent (opposed to many of the "nice guys" on the show). Now that could make for great Wray/Rush character moments .

Originally posted by Petra View Post
    Greer is all about duty, loyalty and protection of those with whose care he was entrusted. After Rush and Wray's little mutiny he sees them as a threat to security and well-being of people he feels responsible for, so it's only natural that he keeps an eye on them and is distrustful. I found it interesting that even in his altered state his mind felt the need to receive Young's permission to do anything about them -or to them.
    Well, Rush and Wray are also entrusted to him and should fall under his sense of duty/ responsibility. Not only the people he likes or cares for. It's also a little inconsistent with him being the top advocat of people working together after the mutiny on the faith planet. And you can see that he *wants* to shoot them, which is definitely going too far and hopefully result of the tick venom.

Comment

Originally posted by MrVivi View Post
      boooooooooooooring

SG1 and SGA are begging for mercy.

i doubt we will see season 3
      It would be nice if you could write a more constructive post rather just joining this forum to troll. Just my opinion I respect yours. But I've seen what topics you've posted it's been this week's episode and the last you replied was back in episode 13. Annyway who knows we don't know what ScyFy wants and they might renew the show for a 3rd season.
      Last edited by Chevron Atlantis; 17 May 2010, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrVivi View Post
        boooooooooooooring

SG1 and SGA are begging for mercy.

i doubt we will see season 3
        You probably doubted there would be a season two as well. But I guess your prayers weren't answered in that case.
        Last edited by AndSoItBegins; 17 May 2010, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevron Atlantis View Post
          Well I'm just wondering where are all of the SGA Fans? That's who I was referring to. But Nvm I'm just saying that's all
          probably in the SGA forum?
          sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by rust View Post
            [I][COLOR="DarkOrange"]
            • Wrapping up. I prefer the DS9 way of storytelling that the series had started off with.. where every episode led to the next for the most part. I don't mind episodic television, where everything is wrapped up neatly in 45 minutes.. but this show should really capitalize on story arcs that take place over more than just a couple episodes.
            • Only recurring characters were shown. How about they give a "tick" to someone who hasn't been given much screen time? I'm not advocating for a "redshirt", just someone different to show that the ship does have other people on it besides the main people we see.

I love DS9 but DS9, especially its first couple of seasons, still mostly followed the Trek tradition of episodic television. Individual eps were self-contained. SGU is much more continuity focused than any Trek series ever has been. You could watch most of the episodes of DS9's first season in any order without getting confused about storytelling and character development. You can't do that with the first season of SGU.

Also I don’t get your issue with the show focusing on recurring characters. First of all there is a difference between regular cast members who get shown every episode (Young, Rush, Scott, Chloe, etc,) and recurring characters who don’t get shown every ep or at least aren’t listed as part of the main cast (Volkner, Brody, Lt. James, etc.). The great thing about SGU is that it has one of the strongest group of recurring characters since DS9 in my opinion but the show is establishing those recurring characters more quickly than DS9 did.

Now with that being said it will be hard to introduce characters for the first time on this show because only a limited number of people boarded Destiny in the pilot and it isn’t as if the ship has picked up any new characters since that first episode. TPTB have to be careful in how they introduce us to new characters because if those characters are introduced only to die in an episode then it becomes a cheap gimmick. And by the way in this ep TPTB introduced us to an Asian female who is part of the military and was part of the away/search teams. Fortunately she didn’t suffer any mortal blows.

Comment

Originally posted by AndSoItBegins View Post
              Just as many of you doubted there would be a season two.

i never doubted s2 its a syfy show so they will try to sell it for another season but if ratings dont jump up drastically it will go down.

And what exactly is unclear in boring for that what it was BORING.

We have non realistic behavior from all of them i mean that is not how hungry, stressed out, constantly in mortal danger people react and behave take it from some one who has had the pleasure of experiencing all three not to mention knowing at least a hundred people who have gone through similar things and all that easily makes me a expert on human behavior under stress and this what we are seeing is not it.

The three minutes that I actually believed that Scott was dead.
              wow you must really be gullible

No mentions of the previous week's episode.
              ej they brought back Eli, Scott and eye candy chick in like first 2 min of the new episode after making a huge thing of them being left behind. So why does this surprise you.

This served as a great "filler" episode to give us plenty of character interactions that I'm hoping will pay off in the future. Especially between Greer and Wray.
              Ya great interactions you have alien poisoned bug shooting you full of hallucinogen and can probably kill you any minute what do you do go screaming for the doctor or have long chats with your daddy.

The superb acting by the cast, especially from Jamil Smith and Robert Carlyle. The fears especially by Rush seemed to bring home just how terrified he is about being captured again.
              I agree for the guy playing Rush but you can only do so much with the crappy script.

And another thing that ship zips through galaxies like they are 1 meter wide i wonder why the hell ancients downgraded to hipper-drive.

And Eli, we could see the guy a lot in the beginning but now we hardly see him at all, the writers must have realized that he was being mildly entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                Hell, at least Park knows her encounters are purely casual.
                That would be a hoot, to see Eli dump/dismiss chloe ad go for parks.

When Jack and Sam got trapped in Antartica for the first time, When Jack got tortured by Ba'al, The one where Sha're died, the one where Daniel had a dream that he took over the world (Shi'fu).
                In order
                Jack and sam trapped in Antartica, Solitudes
                Sha're dying, For ever in a day
                Daniel going al evil, Absolute power

I can't believe that they went with the ticks. I was hoping throughout the episode that the ticks would be a hallucination too, especially when Scott's tick disappeared.
                Part of me thought they might be linked, but when Scott's disappeared i though maybe they were an aspect.

That would actually have been waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy better. A rogue star system between two galaxies....
                That imo would have been something mentioned.. had it been where they went.

Is he afraid of the aliens, or what they can steal from his mind -- which may include stealing or destroying the Destiny ship?
                I think part of it is that up to now, he has always had the santicty of his mind to fall back on. No one got in there. until he was mind probed by the aliens. Now all his dirty dark secrets, hopes and fears are theirs for the taking. He has no where his own anymore.

I think that this episode proves just how out of touch some of these people who give out awards are, this episode has been hailed by many here as the worst of the series and yet we find awards being nominated for it. Jennifer Spence had what, two maybe three scenes and she gets a nomination for supporting actress, WTF?! Damn this is exactly like Slumdog Millionaire getting the Best Picture Oscar.
                +1. I finally watched that SDmilionare over the weekend, and saw NOTING in it, that i would regard even as oscar nomination worthy. Let alone willing best picture.

Mallozzi said that we would see Scott at his worst and his best was in Water? Maybe I'm mixing it up with something else, but if not, I didn't see anything in this one that particularly distinguish
                Maybe he was on about Hallusination Scott, who just got done shagging James and was like "Wham, Bam, thank you mam.. Now i have to go"

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                  Yeah top point this. I have never been a fan of flashback filler eps so this one sits quite nicely above them. Now lets just hope next week isn't a flashback ep.....
                  Indeed. I am begging and prayng we don't have a scene flashback episode either. We haven't had one yet. And I'm hoping we don't. I understand that it probably makes for less work for everyone for a week or so, and gives a season recap for those with memory loss or those new(er) to the show. But they can be really really boring.
                  My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
                  "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

With that said, I'd like to say that I'm probably the strange one in the group here at the GW Forums. I never watch the trailers, because I learned about misleading trailers back when I watched the X-Files constantly. They'd build something up in the trailer and the following week it would be something completely different. I can honestly say that with SGU, LOST and about a dozen other shows I watch, I just delete the show from my DVR once the credits hit. I don't bother watching the trailer since I know it never winds up being what is advertised. (Case in point from last week: Smallville's trailer with the Justice Society/Justice League)
                    You are not alone. 90-95% of the time I don't watch the trailers either unless I have forgotten to change the chanel. As I too have learned from "ER". That most of the time they are misleading. And having us think one way with them when it actually turns out differently.
                    My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
                    "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

This show reminds me of Star Trek DS9 than BSG.

Friend, could I beg you not to use that color for your font? My eyes! My weak and rapidly aging eyes!
                      sigpic
                      Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by AndSoItBegins View Post
                        It would be interesting to see the original casting calls to see whether or not TPTB were even opened to the idea of non-white males auditioning for the four main male roles (Young, Rush, Scott, Eli).
                        I remembered reading something about this in Mallozzi's blog a while back and went digging for it. According to him, they weren't looking to cast any particular race in any particular role; the second choice for Greer was Caucasian, and the second choice for Scott was not.
                        http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...eakin-mailbag/

I quite enjoyed this episode overall, but one thing that really stood out for me was the camera work. The angles and varying speeds of camera movement really helped to ratchet up the tension in a way that was not immediately obvious because they use a shakycam all the time anyway. It seemed they put some thought into what they were doing with the thing, and used it to help sell the story. The camera kept pushing in close to Volker, like even the fourth wall was closing in on him. For Rush, the camera was either moving along with him - peeking around corners, running from something - or peering around corners at him, like the camera itself was stalking him. Greer was all shadowed close-ups, with a heavy focus on faces. Chloe's scenes were bright and wide and steady, devoid of dark corners or any sense of dread. I thought it was all very effective without being intrusive.

Comment

While I still like the episode, it still has plenty of flaws.

First, the medical stuff. Well, I've come to the conclusion they'll never get it right... Riley suffers major head trauma and is okey-dokey now... they squash the ticks instead of saving them for study (yes, put in jar of alcohol, like any vet does), and Scott 'crashing' and them starting chest compressions was way too fast. I read one review where TJ was referred to as doctor'. When did get that diploma??

And, it reminded me of SGA's "Doppelganger" episode (http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s4/404.shtml)

Both episodes had team members affected with hallucinations (difference - SGA had it in their dreams), in both the cause of said hallucinations could jump from one person to another.

And why did they just assume that it was one tick per person? Heck, if my dog can pick up half a dozen ticks, I'm sure a human can pick up more on an alien planet...

I still think Greer needs some anger management therapy has his hallucinations pushed him into the territory of homicidal actions (and Wray would have been toast if Rush hadn't beaned him with the pipe).

I don't think the episode expanded the series any; it is more of a filler, but it just exposed people's fears, guilt, etc.

I still like this one as a guilty pleasure of watching the characters go crazy

Comment

The Blue aliens didn't actually board destiny? Ive been looking forward to that ever since that clip was in the trailer..
                            I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Unfortunately, trailers either always lie or always spoil. Hype has a way of screwing people over who fall into it. Space and Divided aired, and I have a great hunch the aliens won't be part of the finale. Combine that with all the people on the forums here saying they couldn't wait to see the aliens on the Destiny, and then we got the Pain synopsis about hallucinations... it, just like Sabotage's nonchalant return of the stranded trio from Lost, seemed like the outlook the episode would go to (In a rare pesimestic moment). Was I disappointed? Nope. I'd probably be disappointed if it was a bigger surprise.
                              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I was indeed disappointed. I kept wondering when that scene would air. The trailer is indeed sometimes misleading. I honestly hope that they do not get rid of The Smurfs. Hopefully we will see them soon. They are more interesting enemy than the upcoming ones.
                                Lord Zedd

Comment

Working...
                                X