Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did this episode have the 'Classic' stargate feel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
    sorry but the truth hurts.
    As do opinions that differ from mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
      What makes a stargate episode "Classic"? I mean what does an episode need to have that classic stargate feel?
      Classic stargate: team gates to a planet where live apparently primitive people who have advanced technology that is needed to run something on the planet or else they all die. It's listed as a particular character episode but doesn't actually tell us anything about the character. Something naturally goes wrong and in the last minutes of the episode, a solution is found in that deus ex machina way usually because one character shouts at another a lot. The audience, in turn at episode's end, shouts "Oh, FFS!" at their television because they hate deus ex machina endings and episodes that promise much about characters but don't deliver.

SGU is not classic stargate and is so much better for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stranded View Post
        @Phenom (and anyone else that posted something similar): I'd beg to differ. This episode was a very strong 'Stargatey' episode for a variety of reasons:
        • There are several examples in SG1/SGA of a single main team member being stranded for a period of time and doing some reflection (even if it wasn't shown as actual flashbacks, per se)
        • The idea of using several connected gates in range of each other to reach another stargate usually out of range has been done before (think: McKay-Carter Intergalactic Gate Bridge... "cue applause")
        • The person that was left behind happens to be the first person to be rescued... that has occurred before in other SG1/SGA episodes (though I think it's usually wrapped-up in a single episode and not ended on a cliff hanger)

And there's probably more similarities to good, solid Stargate episodes from SG1/SGA. This episode in SGU has brought together ideas from several previous episodes and has done it in a way that is both entertaining, and is paced well.

In my mind, this is definitely Stargate, and it's definitely one of SGU's shining moments.

P.S. Sorry for the lack of references to actual episode names - I suck at remembering those kinds of details and as it's early morning here... I'm too tired to go and find out which episodes the events I described were in

*heads off to get some sleep*
        I guess everyone has their own personal definition of 'classic Stargate', which is great as that is why SG appeals to so many people. My personal opinion of classic stargate is not watching about a blokes poor upbringing.

The ep certainly wasn't the worst of the lot this series but for me, where I am liking about 50/50 thus far, it goes in the forgettable pile.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
          The ep certainly wasn't the worst of the lot this series but for me, where I am liking about 50/50 thus far, it goes in the forgettable pile.
          Fair enough
          Enjoying SGU. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Working...
          X