How Christian of him.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
    Even the most devout Christin has been known to repeat the same mistake over and over again.

Really, we only superficially know about his faith, there is plenty of time to keep on exploring it.
    I'm not saying he is supposed to be perfect, but he should be a bit smarter.

Comment

The guy's a contradiction. So what? I think he's an interesting character, or could become one, with his various crisises of faith. That, and, come on, he's a young guy and not an Amish. This is the 21st century, not the 1800's...
      ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

He will burn in hell ^^
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wargrafix View Post
          I'm not saying he is supposed to be perfect, but he should be a bit smarter.
          Why?
          Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Scott believes he has failed the Priest by having sex with the 16 year old. Although the Priest is dead he was still in a metaphorical sense failing him again when he had sex with Chloe.

If he keeps having sex with Chloe it will increase the percentage of her getting pregnant.

If he does get Chloe pregnant then i could say

"All this has happened before and all this will happen again"

*Cue BSG music*

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
              The guy's a contradiction. So what? I think he's an interesting character, or could become one, with his various crisises of faith. That, and, come on, he's a young guy and not an Amish. This is the 21st century, not the 1800's...
              Sure, but I see no point of making him a Christian. Thats all. Sure he can sleep with all female crew members on the Destiny. Steal, lie and start fights. But why make him a Christian then? It would have been more different and interesting to actually make him a real Christian (as those believing in the Bible messages).
              Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

The opener of this thread views the idea of Scott (perhaps) being Christian, and also engaging in sex, as a bad thing.

I regard it as an interesting conflict that makes him a more complex individual. It's clear that, when he was 16, he regarded what he did as a huge mistake. What is not clear is where he stands on the idea of pre-marital sex now.

I don't like the idea of judging him based on what we just assume he believes, because we've assigned a particular religion to him. I also don't like the idea of judging him based on our own personal morals because fictional characters are clearly not going to operate on our level all the time, and Scott is far from the first or last.

Also, to say that Scott is a contradiction because he (perhaps) identifies as Christian really doesn't mean much as far as I'm concerned, seeing as how pretty much everyone who reads the bible (pretty much whichever form it is in) deviates from the written words at some point. To say that those words are labyrinthial, sometimes metaphorical, and often contradictory themselves would be a huge understatement. Most believers take from them the fundamentals of good will and faith and choose not to obey the parts about beating their sisters and wives when they step out of line, etc.

And I hope no one is offended by that, but the fact is that, regardless of what religion you do or do not identify as, there is more than likely a little contradiction there before you even crack the book open. One has to decide how to navigate it once one does.

Scott is Scott. Not any particular list of religious ideas. Not even any list of general rules of conduct. Personally, I'm judging him as a complicated character with personal issues that I'm sure he would like to change, but I know he's not going to resolve in three days. Or even three months.

Comment

Originally posted by Vapor View Post
                  Scott is Scott.
                  This. A fundamental point we would do well to remember. (Yes, I'm being serious here.)
                  "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                  Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                  Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                  Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                  Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by haloplayer View Post
                    Scott believes he has failed the Priest by having sex with the 16 year old. Although the Priest is dead he was still in a metaphorical sense failing him again when he had sex with Chloe.
                    You're only halfway there. The issue was a 16 year old aborting a child. I somehow doubt a priest would drink himself to death over Scott saying he had sex with somebody his age.

As for failing the priest again? Not likely. Now that you know what "knocked up" means, let's realize that sex is a far cry from a terminated pregnancy. This priest was not sitting somewhere doing an epic facepalm because Scott and Chloe made the beast with two backs. I somehow doubt the priest even entered Scott's mind when he was with her.

If he keeps having sex with Chloe it will increase the percentage of her getting pregnant.
                    Yep, and that would be an appropriate time to say "knocked up".

If he does get Chloe pregnant then i could say

"All this has happened before and all this will happen again"

*Cue BSG music*
                    The more I see stuff like this the more I wonder if the people saying it watched more than a handful of episodes of BSG...
                    Forum insight in 1 click!

Comment

Scott is Scott? He's kinda like SGU's version of Starbuck, to tell you the truth.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheHomegaMan View Post
                        The more I see stuff like this the more I wonder if the people saying it watched more than a handful of episodes of BSG...
                        Hey, I've seen and liked them all, and I can't find the BSG similarities that people seem to be spouting.
                        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                          Sure, but I see no point of making him a Christian. Thats all. Sure he can sleep with all female crew members on the Destiny. Steal, lie and start fights. But why make him a Christian then? It would have been more different and interesting to actually make him a real Christian (as those believing in the Bible messages).
                          Actually he cant sleep with all the woman on the ship since one of them is a lesbian.

The million dollar question though is which woman will he sleep with next?

And i agree he should show some Christian morality.

Hey maybe there could be an episode that deals with Abortion. One of the woman is pregnant and is wondering if she should Abort the baby. Lets see how Scott handles the case

Comment

Originally posted by TheHomegaMan View Post
                            You're only halfway there. The issue was a 16 year old aborting a child. I somehow doubt a priest would drink himself to death over Scott saying he had sex with somebody his age.

As for failing the priest again? Not likely. Now that you know what "knocked up" means, let's realize that sex is a far cry from a terminated pregnancy. This priest was not sitting somewhere doing an epic facepalm because Scott and Chloe made the beast with two backs. I somehow doubt the priest even entered Scott's mind when he was with her.

Yep, and that would be an appropriate time to say "knocked up".

I was joking, i don't believe SGU would be like BSG. And i have seen all of BSG.

Comment

I wasn't aware that the show had been billed as a "Christian" show. In a secular universe, people have sex without marriage, and some people are promiscuous. Obviously, Scott has a problem with controlling his urges. I don't see why this is an issue, though. This simply makes him an extremely round character.

I see a huge difference in his behavior with James and with Chloe. I believe there is an emotional bond growing with Chloe, whereas the thing with James was the impulsive act of two people seeking lustful gratification.

I don't think Chloe would have gone to bed with him had they not both believed there was a probability that one or both would soon perish. That was her good-bye to someone she was feeling close to in a time of tremendous stress.

Comment

Originally posted by haloplayer View Post
                                I was joking, i don't believe SGU would be like BSG. And i have seen all of BSG.
                                Once they don't start having visions and prophecies like BSG, we good. Bsg went stupid with religious over, under and through tones.

Comment

Working...
                                X