No announcement yet.

How Christian of him.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craid Engler, Senior VP and General Manager Of SyFy, has been been saying with some regularity that they are extremely pleased with SGU's ratings. In fact, SGU has bucked the trend with it's numbers and actually increased viewers after the pilot. But, numbers are numbers and there are many ways to look at them. We may look at the ratings and think that they are so-so, they (SyFy) are looking at the demographics within the numbers. SGU has the numbers where they count, numbers that are very attractive to the advertisers! They, after all, are the ones who pay the bills.

Contrary to what a few folks in this thread seem to feel, the general viewing public and especially target audiences, actually, like the show. That's all that matters. I personally am happy that it's being so well received. The sex is but a small part of the show, it's tastefully done and nothing that any well adjusted adult should have a problem with. Truly, I found some of the violence in SGA to be a little over the top for a "family" show. Carrying a bloody Wraith head around wasn't something that I would want young children to see before bedtime. I had no problem with it, but I don't have to worry about kids seeing it either. I feel the same way about the sex.

Also, to speculate about a fictional characters morality and faith, seems to be a bit much for me. I will say, that this thread has done it's job, it's kept me entertained for a good while while I read it.

Lastly, the sex in the military, like I said, I spent over 20 years in my governments service and those of you that don't believe that fraternization between the sexes occurs, you are really out of touch. Boys and girls, girls and girls, boys and boys, it all happens. It happens in combat zones and stateside on bases, it happens at sea and in the air. Your talking about human beings here, just because a person wears a uniform doesn't mean they stop being sexually active.

Also, if you folks that are having a hard time with the first 5 episodes content, how in the world are you going to be able to deal with Ming Na's character? I know that they have pulled a sex scene that was already written for Ming Na, but that was because she was using the stones, (and someone else body at the time). So, I'll be interested to see how you all react to that scenario when it eventually arrives. Just my two cents....

Comment

Soldiers don't sleep! They wait.

I never expected the Bible to be likened to Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates.
      "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
      Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
      Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
      Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
      Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
        All christians doesn't have sex until they're married.

Yeah right. The easter bunny is real too.

That's not the point. Just because lots of people believe something doesn't make it right. Or (if you believe sex should be independent of marriage) just because lots of people do something doesn't suddenly rewrite the bible, which btw doesn't ever condone premarital sex. There is lots on lust, adultery, and other sexual perversions. From a biblical standpoint sex belongs in marriage because it is a holy and intimate act. To engage in intercourse outside of marriage is missing something vital and almost insulting to its purpose.
        I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of jello.

Comment

Originally posted by Pianomancuber View Post
          From a biblical standpoint sex belongs in marriage...
          From a biblical standpoint, shrimp, shaving and vegetable gardens are abomination as well.

Quote one, quote them all, people.
          you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

'What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.'

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

That's not the point. Just because lots of people believe something doesn't make it right. Or (if you believe sex should be independent of marriage) just because lots of people do something doesn't suddenly rewrite the bible, which btw doesn't ever condone premarital sex. There is lots on lust, adultery, and other sexual perversions. From a biblical standpoint sex belongs in marriage because it is a holy and intimate act. To engage in intercourse outside of marriage is missing something vital and almost insulting to its purpose.
            The bible may say almost the same thing in every translation, but it doesn't always interpret the same. And neither will every religious person agree with every interpretation. And therefore, the sex before marriage thing can be interpreted as a sin, and by someone else as perfectly okay, as long as you are having sex with the desire to procreate - and yes I have heard that with verses from the bible to back it up.

Really... no one denomination completely agrees on everything. Hell, there are Priests and Ministers who don't believe everything that they have been told is frowned upon in the bible too. People can have independent thought an interpretation in religion too... and many people do.
            Last edited by Deevil; 26 October 2009, 07:23 PM.
            Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by slurredspeech View Post
              From a biblical standpoint, shrimp, shaving and vegetable gardens are abomination as well.

Okay.
              "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is constructive.
              [edit]I think part of the problem is that people are talking as if the point of Christianity is keeping some laundry list of rules.
              "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Density
                "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is constructive.
                If you're trying to tell me something, I ask who decides what is beneficial? One could argue regular sex is healthier than a bad marriage.

However. If we're simply having a Bible Verse-Off?

Attention Christian Department Employees, ye shall take off that polyester cloth.
                you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

'What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.'

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

Now, no one take this personally but about half of the Christians I have ever known were hypocritical. Their purity was all just for show. All their amoral behavior was magically blown away because they went to church and acted all nice to everyone. Christians love spouting off all their idealistic laws about what is right and wrong and when no one is looking, get wasted, swindle people out of money, or just be egotistical jerks when the situation allows it.

Also some of the dirtiest, whoriest people I know are 'devout Catholics'. They go to service every time they can and party like its going out of style. I think they think as long as the confess their sins, they remain pure. Saying you did something wrong is irrelevant if you continue doing it over and over again. Religion more often than not is all just for show. Many horrible, nasty people use it for a cover.

Now, like I said, I am only saying this from my personal experience. Perhaps all you faithful, righteous Christians out there are pure and live up to your idealistic expectations. But this is from my own observations. Maybe I have it all wrong (religion salesman love saying this to me).

Not going to argue over religion here, it is pointless.

As for our topic, yeah he is a hypocritic creep. But I wasn't all that surprised.

Besides this little 'love story', if you wish to call it that, between these two, I am very much enjoying the show. I really can't stand these two people, just got to grit my teeth and wait for them to go away.

Comment

If you're trying to tell me something, I ask who decides what is beneficial? One could argue regular sex is healthier than a bad marriage.

However. If we're simply having a Bible Verse-Off?

Attention Christian Department Employees, ye shall take off that polyester cloth.
                    Not all Old Testament law applies anymore. That was the reason Peter recieved the vision in Acts. A lot of the laws in Leviticus and Deutoronomy applied only to the Jewish people. But there were also laws that were universal for the entire human race. Deciding which were universal has been a great pain for theologians for centuries.
                    sigpic
                    Doci of the BAG

Comment

This isn't the place for this kind of debate but I just wanted to say this. What you have said has been taken far out of context. The rules you are referring to were for a specific sect of Levites (if you want citation message me) and are not for everyone, especially us today, to follow. However my original point was that there is no verse that says "No sex before marriage", but there are many verses that talk about the sanctity of marriage and 'becoming one flesh'. My interpretation is that sex is an aspect of marriage, and marriage is a total union between two people. Physical, emotion, and spiritual aspects combine to create an intimate and beautiful bond that God intended for us.

That's just my opinion, and I respect everybody else to have theirs.
                      I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of jello.

Comment

From a different perspective...

It's not about whether he's a Christian. It's the fact that he got a girl pregnant via such acts, and we're shown that it affected him deeply. Because of the stress, the priest/father figure died.

Something THAT profound should have an effect on him. Maybe that perhaps he should learn to control his urges. The fact that he goes on to have such casual encounters throws all that character building out the window, ie, it means *nothing.*

Which means the priest popping up in Air pt3 meant nothing, when it obviously did.

So, he's either one of the crappiest characters ever written... or he's just crappy as a character. The latter differs because it would just mean he's incredibly dumb.

I really think that scene in light was a disservice to his character. He should have refused her... not because of any religious beliefs, but because he had just been reminded not too long ago via his priest hallucination. He's like a bad male stereotype, unable to control his urges.

While I am agnostic and don't have a high opinion of religions, I recognize that they can do some good, and people can be made better by following them. They had a good opportunity here to do a good portrayal, and they blew it.

Last point: You advance ranks in the military either because you're a good disciplined soldier, or you know how to play politics. I don't think the latter applies to Scott, so it's another clash with what they are telling us his character is.

Comment

Originally posted by haloplayer View Post
                          Maybe he even stole her virginity.
                          Somehow if she was that easy, I highly doubt she's a virgin.

All Christians have problems. We deal with them every day. Some of us have alcoholism, some of us have lust, others are liars. We are by no means perfect. If you're on here bashing Scott about it, remember that to God everything is a glass house. All your lies are equal to all the girls Scott has had sex with outside of marriage. There is only sin, not degrees of sin. And its best not to judge each other, and let God sort them out.
                          http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

This isn't the place for this kind of debate but I just wanted to say this. What you have said has been taken far out of context. ...
                            I concur.

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                            From a different perspective...

It's not about whether he's a Christian. It's the fact that he got a girl pregnant via such acts, and we're shown that it affected him deeply. Because of the stress, the priest/father figure died.

Something THAT profound should have an effect on him. Maybe that perhaps he should learn to control his urges. The fact that he goes on to have such casual encounters throws all that character building out the window, ie, it means *nothing.*
                            Very good point. I hope we do see some of these expected effects in future eps though.

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
                            While I doubt it also, the way you said that comes across as a bit unkind.[edit]I agree with the rest of your post entirely, however

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
                              Could we not, please? Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Hermiiod View Post
                                even if I was faced with certain death, I would not have sex with a girl I have not been lawfully married to.
                                Oh come on hemroid, thats sorta far fetched isn't it. What if you both really liked each other, were trapped on a spaceship, had no priest, and no "law" to make it legit? Well then, in that case, I guess sex could never be had again. It's just not possible without some sort of holy shawman or tax devouring corrupt government.

On second thought....there is that small room they like to light candles in. That might be a worthy place to sanctify a sex having relationship. So that combined with the idea that Col. Young is kinda like the government. Young could just dig around for some fancy letterhead and put his special stamp on it.
                                Last edited by jcainhaze; 26 October 2009, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X