X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
    Spoiler:

Here are my points:

• I believe Christianity is the following of Jesus Christ.
    • Catholicsm, which Scott was raised by, explicitly disapproves pre-marital sex/adultery
    • Belief in God should not be situational. In that I mean that you should not believe in God for the sake of saving yourself, but in that you actually believe the doctrine. And then you simply walk out the doors of the church and do things that are contrary to your religion. What I just described is what I call a "fake" Christian. A "real" Christian is a person who will follow the doctrine of his/her religion, and it's spirit, not its letter, everyday. That is what I believe.
    • Scott has been shown to pray. However, he has been shown to have sex with two different women in a very short amount of time. This leads me to believe he is a "fake" Christian, or if that's too blunt, a situational Christian.

Now, can you please point out where I make a hypocrite of myself, or blow up my theory in my face?
    So every Christian that sins is a fake one? In that case, every Christian is fake. If I claimed to be Christian, but told 2 lies in a short amount of time, would I be a fake Christian?

Comment

Originally posted by WishIwasJoes View Post
      How far Stargate has come. From science and strong female characters to sex and women that are no where near as interesting as Carter or Weir.
      I'd give it time.

Then again, Carter was a strong woman when she walked in onto the briefing. And Weir was very strong indeed. Too bad they killed her off blithely.
      If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
      Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
      If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
      Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by WishIwasJoes View Post
        How far Stargate has come. From science and strong female characters to sex and women that are no where near as interesting as Carter or Weir.
        9/10

Agree completely. Make this show like BSG and watch it die just like BSG. I feel that this whole soap opera element is intended for SGU to attract a young, female demographic.

Unfortunately, the largely male, nerdy writers/producers on the show seem out of sync with women. Women aren't stupid, they like character development and real relationships just like the rest of us. Soap Opera's are for washed-up housewives that have nothing going on in their lives and need to prattle over mindless gossip.

I somehow doubt the soap opera demographic will be attracted to a show about a stranded ship in outerspace.

Comment

Originally posted by dmacfour View Post
          So every Christian that sins is a fake one? In that case, every Christian is fake. If I claimed to be Christian, but told 2 lies in a short amount of time, would I be a fake Christian?
          "Scott has been shown to pray. However, he has been shown to have sex with two different women in a very short amount of time. This leads me to believe he is a "fake" Christian, or if that's too blunt, a situational Christian."

Read my above bullets. I said that he still believes in the Catholic faith, obviously, due to his prayer. However, he commits two sins classified in the Catholic Faith, in which he believes, and he doesn't even show any sign of regret? That is what I call a situational Christian. I make mistakes, yes. I make a heck of a lot of them. However, do I regret them, yes. I get no impressions from Scott about this.
          If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

sigpic

Comment

"Scott has been shown to pray. However, he has been shown to have sex with two different women in a very short amount of time. This leads me to believe he is a "fake" Christian, or if that's too blunt, a situational Christian."

Read my above bullets. I said that he still believes in the Catholic faith, obviously, due to his prayer. However, he commits two sins classified in the Catholic Faith, in which he believes, and he doesn't even show any sign of regret? That is what I call a situational Christian. I make mistakes, yes. I make a heck of a lot of them. However, do I regret them, yes. I get no impressions from Scott about this.
            Maybe he regrets it, maybe he doesn't. We don't really know what he's thinking inside.

Comment

Originally posted by dmacfour View Post
              Maybe he regrets it, maybe he doesn't. We don't really know what he's thinking inside.
              True.

sigpic

Comment

Here are my points:

I believe Christianity is the following of Jesus Christ.
                By following I assume you mean following his teachings? As defined/intepreted by who?

Catholicsm, which Scott was raised by, explicitly disapproves pre-marital sex/adultery
                I don't know enough about Catholicism and the various churches that all fall under the umbrella of catholicism to know whether or not that is the case for each and every one. But even if it is who's to say that Scott has continued to believe in the Catholic intepretation of Christianity? And has not changed of the other Christian denominations? Or indeed has actually looked at the Bible and made his own intepretation of what it says about being a good Christian? After all I don't believe that membership of one of the mainstream Churches is a prerequisite for actually being a Christian.

Belief in God should not be situational. In that I mean that you should not believe in God for the sake of saving yourself, but in that you actually believe the doctrine. And then you simply walk out the doors of the church and do things that are contrary to your religion. What I just described is what I call a "fake" Christian. A "real" Christian is a person who will follow the doctrine of his/her religion, and it's spirit, not its letter, everyday. That is what I believe.
                I don't think it's been demonstrated anywhere that Scott believes in God simply for the sake of saving himself, nor that he's done anything contrary to his religion. He may have done things contrary to your belief/intepretation/opinion of Christianity but how do you know yours is the correct view? What makes his intepretation any less valid?

Scott has been shown to pray. However, he has been shown to have sex with two different women in a very short amount of time. This leads me to believe he is a "fake" Christian, or if that's too blunt, a situational Christian.
                A 'fake' Christian based on your views of your Christianity and the teachings of the Bible/Jesus Christ.

Now, can you please point out where I make a hypocrite of myself, or blow up my theory in my face?
                The second you admitted that various parts of the teachings of the Bible/Jesus Christ can be disregarded because they are no longer relevant, or can be reintepreted to better fit modern life you blew up your theory about what a 'true' Christian must do to be considered such. Either the Bible has to be followed to the letter or it doesn't. And if it doesn't then you open the door to many differing intepretations of what the bible actually says and means, and the ability for people to have many differing views on what is immoral and what isn't, and what teachings must be followed and what can be set aside yet all continuing to be considered as true a Christian as any other person who believes in Christ

Comment

Originally posted by Krazeh View Post
                  By following I assume you mean following his teachings? As defined/intepreted by who?
                  Seeing as I believe in the Catholic Faith as well, obviously by the Bible of the Catholic Faith.

I don't know enough about Catholicism and the various churches that all fall under the umbrella of catholicism to know whether or not that is the case for each and every one. But even if it is who's to say that Scott has continued to believe in the Catholic intepretation of Christianity? And has not changed of the other Christian denominations?
                  Because we have recieved no evidence to the contrary. And until we do, I shall stick to my version of events.

I don't think it's been demonstrated anywhere that Scott believes in God simply for the sake of saving himself, nor that he's done anything contrary to his religion. He may have done things contrary to your belief/intepretation/opinion of Christianity but how do you know yours is the correct view? What makes his intepretation any less valid?
                  Other than that he's had premarital sex. We've been over this. We have recieved information that he's Catholic. The Catholic church disapproves of premarital sex. Therefore, he's going against his religion. And seeing as we have not recieved any evidence to the contrary, I must stick to what we know.

A 'fake' Christian based on your views of your Christianity and the teachings of the Bible/Jesus Christ.
                  Your point? Like I said, it's an opinion. Some will agree, some will not.

The second you admitted that various parts of the teachings of the Bible/Jesus Christ can be disregarded because they are no longer relevant, or can be reintepreted to better fit modern life you blew up your theory about what a 'true' Christian must do to be considered such. Either the Bible has to be followed to the letter or it doesn't. And if it doesn't then you open the door to many differing intepretations of what the bible actually says and means, and the ability for people to have many differing views on what is immoral and what isn't, and what teachings must be followed and what can be set aside yet all continuing to be considered as true a Christian as any other person who believes in Christ
                  The Bible must interpreted to the spirit of it. If you believe in a particular faith, like Catholicism, then you accept the interpretations of the Catholic Church. Otherwise, you aren't Catholic.

sigpic

Comment

The Bible must interpreted to the spirit of it. If you believe in a particular faith, like Catholicism, then you accept the interpretations of the Catholic Church. Otherwise, you aren't Catholic.
                    Last I checked this was about being a Christian, not specifically a Catholic. If you wish to talk about a specific denomation and whether or not Lt Scott appears to be following that denomination then you should make that clearer.

Comment

Religious debate aside...

The sex stuff is starting to make me feel like the show's directed by Joss Whedon. Haha!
                      sigpic

See ya at the con, baby! (L.A. '11) (L.A. '10) (L.A. '09) (Burbank '08) (Burbank '07)

Comment

Originally posted by Krazeh View Post
                        Last I checked this was about being a Christian, not specifically a Catholic. If you wish to talk about a specific denomation and whether or not Lt Scott appears to be following that denomination then you should make that clearer.
                        I thought I was explicitly clear when Scott was shown to be a Catholic, and when I said Catholic in my previous posts.

sigpic

Comment

A Martin Luther appears.
                          A Wild Abra appears.
                          Martin Luther used Reformation.
                          It fails.
                          Abra used Teleport!

Seriously guys, this is going nowhere. TPTB are probably laughing at us now.
                          "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                          Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                          Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                          Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                          Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
                            A Martin Luther appears.
                            A Wild Abra appears.
                            Martin Luther used Reformation.
                            It fails.
                            Abra used Teleport!

Seriously guys, this is going nowhere. TPTB are probably laughing at us now.
                            Abras are easy to capture. Just use Mean Look.

sigpic

Comment

I thought I was explicitly clear when Scott was shown to be a Catholic, and when I said Catholic in my previous posts.
                              Only your last couple of posts referred to Catholicism. Your earlier posts all referred to Christianity and what is and isn't a "true" Christian.

Also the fact that Scott was shown to have been raised by a Catholic priest doesn't mean that he himself continues to be, or consider himself to be, a Catholic. Given that we've seen he suffered a crisis of faith when he was 16 and saw the priest who raised him drink himself to death then it's a fairly good bet that, while he clearly still beleives in God, he will have reconsidered his views on organised religion and what the belief in God means to him.

It may very well be the case that he could be considered a 'bad' or lapsed Catholic but that's not the same as not being a 'true' Christian or demonstrates that anything he has done is contrary to his Christian beliefs.

Comment

Can we just agree that Christianity - even Catholicism - is dependent on the person following it, and those teaching it. There are no hard and fast rules on how to be the 'best' Christian, given the different denominations and teachings - even within Catholicism.

Furthermore, just because one Christian acts in a certian way, does not make the other one any 'less' Christian because they don't. It just makes them different with a different interpretation.
                                Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                                X