Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
    that wasn't fake it was established that he was suffering from withdrawal
    Well if it wasn't fake then he believed what he was saying was true, is what I'm getting at. So he believed they were effed. So then he didn't know.

Comment

So IMHO, I think that, yeah he had an inkling that something would happen to save their lives, but on the other hand, I don't think he was willing to bet every single one of their lives on one of his wild and crazy ideas (again).
      I see rush as being more logical than emotional as carter and Mccay were. So he used logic to suss it out. The ship has been out there for umpteen years, needs to recharge itself periodically. What are the 2 most abundant things out there. Suns and gas planets with hydrogen. BUT i don't think he knew exactly how it was going to happen, and whether their messing with the ship dicked it over.

His excitement didn't seem very authentic to me. It seemed more like he was excited that he was right, rather than incorrect. It did seem like he was expecting it from the moment he went out to look at the star (he didn't really seem surprised).
      Agreed. I have seen some workers come up with off the wall stuff, which actually worked. And their expression was almost a mirror of his. He figured something was going on, but did not believe it was going to happen. And was surprised when it did.

Honestly, if he said that it just looked like they were going to fly into the star, but were really just going to skim it to refuel, would any of the others have believed him?
      Good point. With how they all treated him up to now, i seriously doubt they would have given him the time of day.

Especially when Eli showed them the Destiny with the Kino.
      Good point. I wonder if he saw something in that [pic] that gave him an idea of what might be coming.

However, once his excitement subsided, he felt like a fool for being wrong and having a dramatic nervous breakdown (humiliation is a powerful motivator). His over inflated ego scolded him for not realizing that the ship was designed to feed off the resources of the universe, just as the stargate seeder ships do. Rush is one of those people who loves being in control (being the smartest guy in the room), and hates to admit being wrong, so at the end of the show, he wanted to cover for his mistake by making the others believe that he knew all along that they would live
      Interesting hypothesis. I know from personal experience getting a massive 'taking down a knotch' cam make you reassess things you always thought were right.

Comment

As form what we saw in last week's episode Rush is not one to apologies if he does not think he has to. So I for one do not see why he would apologies to Eli for bring him along if Rush knew that they were not going to die.

Made by Nanjana

Comment

Rush knew the ship would be fine.
          He wants control of Destiny 100%.

He attempts to get Young to fix the lottery, knowing everyone would return.
          Not knowing the ship would speed up as it did, which is why he got the comm working. He knew he needed the supplies and the crew.
          But if Young had fixed the lottery, unrest would have risen against Young.
          Causing decent among the ranks, giving Rush the power he wants.

Thoughts?

Comment

my thoughts

there's already two threads did we need a third ??
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

To be honest, I don't think it matters.

The crew was better for it. Facing death in such a way, and dealing with it have allowed the crew to put aside their differences and come to terms with their situation and the nature of it. It also put the crew into a new perspective: happy to be alive, rather than pissed off that they can't get home.

I personally could see that Rush had a hunch that the Destiny might use the sun to recharge, but he couldn't have been sure. To rob the crew of that chance of getting on the shuttle based on a hunch would have had a really negative impact.

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSmeagol View Post
                Rush knew the ship would be fine.
                He wants control of Destiny 100%.

He attempts to get Young to fix the lottery, knowing everyone would return.
                Not knowing the ship would speed up as it did, which is why he got the comm working. He knew he needed the supplies and the crew.
                But if Young had fixed the lottery, unrest would have risen against Young.
                Causing decent among the ranks, giving Rush the power he wants.

Thoughts?
                If he'd successfully convinced Young to load the shuttle with all his "picks" to he could have "accidentally" done something like activated the shield or FTL when they were trying to dock and splattered/stranded them all leaving him with only a discredited Young himself to deal with.

If it really was a sinister Machiavellian plot it was a pretty decent one. Rush is easily my favorite character by a mile.

Comment

I enjoyed this episode, especially the special effects and the emotional moments. Greer's moments were a highlight. I did not care for the fast Scott/Chloe hookup, or the Rush head fake at the end because it put a damper on the jubilant mood. Enough has been said about Scott/Chloe, so this is my revised character analysis of Rush:

After seeing it a second time, I am certain that Rush genuinely thought they were going to die. When he realized that too much time had passed without any ill effects, and he saw that a control console was powered up, then finally that the ship was above the sun, he felt euphoric at the prospect that they would live, and that his opportunity to gain control of Destiny would continue.

However, later, once his excitement subsided, he felt foolish for being wrong. Humiliation is a powerful motivator for most people. Rush is one of those people who loves being in control. He thrives on being the smartest guy in the room and detests being wrong. His over-inflated ego scolded him for not realizing earlier that the ship was designed to feed off the resources of the universe, just as the stargate seeder ships do. At the end of the show, he still felt embarrassed and upset at himself, as demonstrated by his irritable demeanor. He didn't want to join the group and get teased about his mistake just like they were teasing Scott, so during the conversation with Young, he jumped at an opportunity to cover for his mistake by creating some ambiguity in everyone's minds, even at the risk of making himself appear calculating and crazy for putting them through this ordeal that could have potentially stranded 17 people, lost the shuttle, and all the supplies.
                  Last edited by AnonyMoose; 24 October 2009, 01:47 AM.
                  There is no spoon...

Comment

He knew, and went back to his room to relax and read a book while everyone else sweated over their fate. He looked at his watch because he felt it was time to put on his show for the others that they were going to survive after all

Comment

No, I don't think he was certain. Otherwise he would not have asked for Young to handpick the people. He may have thought there was a possibility, but he did not want that opportunity for them to be killed needlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonyMoose View Post
                        I enjoyed this episode, especially the special effects and the emotional moments. Greer's moments were a highlight. I did not care for the fast Scott/Chloe hookup, and the Rush head fake at the end because it put a damper on the jubilant mood. Enough has been said about Scott/Chloe, so this is my revised character analysis of Rush:

After seeing it a second time, I am certain that Rush genuinely thought they were going to die. When he realized that too much time had passed without any ill effects, then he saw that a control console was powered up, and finally that the ship was above the sun, he felt euphoric at the prospect that they would live, and that his opportunity with Destiny would continue.

However, once his excitement subsided, he felt like a fool for being wrong. Humiliation is a powerful motivator for most people. Rush is one of those people who loves being in control. He thrives on being the smartest guy in the room and detests being wrong. His over-inflated ego scolded him for not realizing earlier that the ship was designed to feed off the resources of the universe, just as the stargate seeder ships do. At the end of the show, he still felt embarrassed and upset at himself, as demonstrated by his irritable demeanor, so during the conversation with Young, he jumped at an opportunity to cover for his mistake by creating some ambiguity in the everyone's minds, even at the risk of making himself appear calculating and crazy for putting them through this ordeal that could have potentially stranded 17 people, lost the shuttle, and all the supplies.
                        Wow, damn good analysis. I think especially this last paragraph explains everything.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonyMoose View Post
                          I enjoyed this episode, especially the special effects and the emotional moments. Greer's moments were a highlight. I did not care for the fast Scott/Chloe hookup, and the Rush head fake at the end because it put a damper on the jubilant mood. Enough has been said about Scott/Chloe, so this is my revised character analysis of Rush:

After seeing it a second time, I am certain that Rush genuinely thought they were going to die. When he realized that too much time had passed without any ill effects, then he saw that a control console was powered up, and finally that the ship was above the sun, he felt euphoric at the prospect that they would live, and that his opportunity with Destiny would continue.

However, once his excitement subsided, he felt like a fool for being wrong. Humiliation is a powerful motivator for most people. Rush is one of those people who loves being in control. He thrives on being the smartest guy in the room and detests being wrong. His over-inflated ego scolded him for not realizing earlier that the ship was designed to feed off the resources of the universe, just as the stargate seeder ships do. At the end of the show, he still felt embarrassed and upset at himself, as demonstrated by his irritable demeanor, so during the conversation with Young, he jumped at an opportunity to cover for his mistake by creating some ambiguity in the everyone's minds, even at the risk of making himself appear calculating and crazy for putting them through this ordeal that could have potentially stranded 17 people, lost the shuttle, and all the supplies.
                          yes i have to semi agree with you on this. their is one thing i think you should note though on this. everyone is still upset at rush and blames him for them all being on destiny in the first place. so if his name had been in the lottery, and he had gotten on the ship, what do you think most peoples reaction would have been. most people would have blamed him for their deaths as he walks away and gets to live. so then the people who did get to go on the shuttle have now landed on their new planet and trying to survive. what do you think is going to happen between the whole group and rush. well everyone is going to shun him and basically want nothing to do with him because they too will blame him for everyone deaths. i think rush was intelligent enough to realize that either way in the end he wouldn't have had long to lived so therefore it would be easier to withdraw from the lottery and just stay put.

it does show that he is still a little shunned. where did he go once the shuttle took off? his room. why? because he didnt want people to be blaming him and doing something like just killing him before the star could do it. so far you can see that he is a loner. loners are more happier being somewhere by themselves than around tons of people anyways.

also lets say that he did know. lets think of it this way. if you were on a spaceship and flying toward a star and going to go right into it, would u really believe the guy who put you on the ship that u cant escape from already and already blame for making your life insane that you would be fine because the ship was somehow solar powered and needed to be closer to the sun to get the max juice it required. knowing me, i probably wouldnt have believed him at all. instead i would have tried to save my hide by doing the whole lottery thing to get on the shuttle.

so in the end of my argument. did rush know in the beginning? doubtful probably due to he hadn't figured out where the ship got its energy from (since obviously going faster than the speed of light would be using a little more energy than just keeping a shield up to protect a city from water). however a lot of the things he did after that was to keep his own hide alive and at the the time the best place he figured was just to stay on the ship and hope a miracle happens like everyone else does.

Comment

Rush gained nothing by lying about it.... i don't think he knew
                            67 point(s) total!!!!

Comment

I'm pretty certain he didn't know, but it is an interesting debate.

Comment

I do not think Rush knew. Actually, I was irritated with Col. Young for implying it and planting that doubt in everyone's mind. He should have kept that suspicion to himself. By announcing it, all he did was create more mistrust and suspicion, which IMO is a bad thing (and a bad leadership decision).

I agree with what others have said: if Rush had known they were going to live, he wouldn't have allowed valuable supplies or the shuttle to leave. And if he was trying to get rid of people (because he wanted less people on the Destiny), then he wouldn't have been so quick to find a way to bring the shuttle back. It was the first thing he did when the systems came back online, even before Young told him to contact the shuttle.

I personally found his surprise very convincing. His first look of surprise was in the control room before he went up to the flight deck to look out the window. He was alone in the control room, and he looked surprised. If he had known all along, then why would he fake surprise then? Wouldn't he just give a smug grin? When I re-watched that scene on the flight deck (I love sci-fi's late repeats ), I noticed how much Rush was smiling. I don't think we've ever seen Rush smile before. Certainly, not that much. So his surprise and happiness looked genuine to me.

As for Rush's negativity in the final scene... I think there were two things going on there. First, Rush was being realistic. He's blunt to the point of rudeness, so it's not surprising that he would spoil the good mood by mentioning that they are still facing a lot of problems. That's the reality of the situation. But I think Rush was also trying to distance himself from the crew. We've seen some severely anti-social behavior from Rush so far (he had no desire to be stranded "on a rock with a bunch of strangers," and he flinched when Young slapped him on the back), and I think he was uncomfortable with the idea of being so familiar and relaxed with the rest of the crew. I get the impression that he's been a loner and an outsider for a long time, and the idea of breaking that isolation by joining the others for a friendly meal seemed very uncomfortable to him. So he pushed people away as quickly and firmly as possible, not particularly caring if it made them suspicious of him.

The last scene was also a nice parallel to the meal in Air, where Rush was also on the outside looking in. Eventually, he might be comfortable enough to join the crew... but not yet. And from Young's reaction, the crew isn't comfortable with Rush yet either.
                                Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                                Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Working...
                                X