This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
    Okay, I must ask as I've seen it everywhere on GW and even one of my friends who watched the episode feels this way. But what exactly has Eli done for Chloe that is substantially more than Scott did?

I think there are two possibilities:

1) I'm completely missing it...somehow.
    2) People just happen to be rooting for Eli more, and are disproportionately imagining that he was somehow closer to Chloe.

If I recall correctly, the two men spent nearly the same amount of time with each other (on-screen), and nothing was implied otherwise.

Feel free to correct me, though, as I've been stumped by a lot of these comments
    Okay, let me break down what we've seen so far. On Scott's side, he listened to her talk about her father.

On Eli's side, she was clinging to him initially as he walked down corridors. Then he got her a shower; the first person on the ship to get one *and* has him stand guard. She doesn't care that he goes off with another woman, but cries out for Eli *NOT* Scott when the light goes out. He gives her his blackberry for light, and she makes him stay, just makes him turn around, because she doesn't want to be alone in the dark. And he brings her to observation lounge to see the gas giant.

And since the start, she had such confidence in him as the one to open the gate and to get them through things.

Now, in my book, he's done a helluva lot for her, some of which were virtual demands, without any real complaint on his part. You'd think, if she were looking for someone to bang, she'd go with the guy who did the most for her.

We have a word for that: Used.

It's an ancient tactic: women have used men to survive, just as men have used women, so I don't fault her for that; it's party subconscious. She's got the smart guy eating out of her palm, so now she needs the muscles.

The smart guy needs to suddenly be busy now, doing stuff, and not having time for her. He's got the perfect excuse: He's trying to understand the ship as fast as possible to help with their survival. If she grows upset, ask, "Why are you upset? Don't you have Scott to look out for you? I wouldn't want to intrude on another man's woman."

Continuing to be the nice guy is actually the worst thing you can do.

Lastly, a note about things being done before: EVERYTHING HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE. There is no point to this line of conversation. We stand on the shoulders of giants, who have basically written out every kind of plot. The trick is in doing that plot WELL and in an entertaining manner.

Take a trip around the tvtropes website sometime, and you'll see there are topics on everything story-related. =)

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
      Okay, I must ask as I've seen it everywhere on GW and even one of my friends who watched the episode feels this way. But what exactly has Eli done for Chloe that is substantially more than Scott did?

I think there are two possibilities:

1) I'm completely missing it...somehow.
      2) People just happen to be rooting for Eli more, and are disproportionately imagining that he was somehow closer to Chloe.

If I recall correctly, the two men spent nearly the same amount of time with each other (on-screen), and nothing was implied otherwise.

Feel free to correct me, though, as I've been stumped by a lot of these comments
      Really nothing. Eli stood guard while she took a shower and showed her the observation deck when they went thru the planet.

Scott helped her thru the emotional turmoil of losing her father and as a result connected on an emotional level.
      || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

If they are locked out of the main ship systems I really cant see ol Rod doing anything.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
          Okay, let me break down what we've seen so far. On Scott's side, he listened to her talk about her father.

On Eli's side, she was clinging to him initially as he walked down corridors. Then he got her a shower; the first person on the ship to get one *and* has him stand guard. She doesn't care that he goes off with another woman, but cries out for Eli *NOT* Scott when the light goes out. He gives her his blackberry for light, and she makes him stay, just makes him turn around, because she doesn't want to be alone in the dark. And he brings her to observation lounge to see the gas giant.

And since the start, she had such confidence in him as the one to open the gate and to get them through things.

Now, in my book, he's done a helluva lot for her, some of which were virtual demands, without any real complaint on his part. You'd think, if she were looking for someone to bang, she'd go with the guy who did the most for her.

We have a word for that: Used.

It's an ancient tactic: women have used men to survive, just as men have used women, so I don't fault her for that; it's party subconscious. She's got the smart guy eating out of her palm, so now she needs the muscles.
          Seem so true. I wonder if the writers are clever enough to write consciously somethings like that?

I think they only wrote. Eli="friend" and Scott="Lover sharing family history" without giving to much thought. But I may be wrong.
          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Like someone else said, they don't want to be on destiny. They were not hand chosen to be on this ship. That and all of the power was gone. 1/2 of the ship is decompressed/extremely dangerous, and on top of that, you can't see anything, at all. The only power is on the shuttle. Literally, there was no power left except what the ship had taken for itself.

Comment

Frak me, Scott is getting more poon in 5 episodes than O'Neill got during the entire run of SG-1. Booooo

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                Perhaps she just doesn't find Eli sexually attractive? Maybe she is genuinely ignorant of his feelings for her? He had certainly never shown any romantic feelings towards her on-screen before this. She and Scott seem to have bonded at the end of Air 3, and there was clearly some pre-existing friendship in Air 1 (it looked that way to me at least, when he came rushing to her aid when the tunnel collapsed).

That said, the scene could just as easily have been left out. It did nothing for me, but I'm not particularly fond of either Chloe or Scott.

Greer, on the other hand, is just a big box of pleasant surprises!
                sigpic

Comment

Although I knew from Darkness that Destiny was a solar powered ship, I loved Light and the tension and drama that the episode conveyed.
                  I am impressed with SGU. I love the realness of the characters (and especially, of Eli).
                  Does anyone think that Telford is "the *******" who deserved whatever Young and Greer were talking about?
                  Last edited by Tok'Ra Hostess; 24 October 2009, 12:47 PM.
                  Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                  "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                  One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                  resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                  confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                  A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                  The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Rush is the mad scientist we have a love/hate relationship with. Young is Gen. Hammond. Not sure about Eli. Sometimes I get a Wesley Crusher vibe, but so far so good. He isn't as irritating as I first thought. Lt. James is hot, but still keeps her soldier cool. She is SO much better than that loser Chloe. Scott is a jerk. I agree with the others: writers need to airlock Scott and Chloe, and fast!

Greer though, he is DA MAN! Best character so far.

Comment

Originally posted by joebags View Post
                      Rush is the mad scientist we have a love/hate relationship with. Young is Gen. Hammond. Not sure about Eli. Sometimes I get a Wesley Crusher vibe, but so far so good. He isn't as irritating as I first thought. Lt. James is hot, but still keeps her soldier cool. She is SO much better than that loser Chloe. Scott is a jerk. I agree with the others: writers need to airlock Scott and Chloe, and fast!
                      Don't be so harsh on Chloe she got no qualification whatsover. She only got her body to offer. And she put it into good use with both Scott and Eli. I call that: realism.
                      Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I thought this was somewhat better than the previous two episodes. It was more excited than I imagined it would be. It was fairly good, but I'm not looking forward to more Scott/Cloe/Eli relationships drama. Greer was the character that I started to like more from this episode.
                        "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          I personally hope to see Scott airlocked
                          Ha! Me too! Im sure someone else can learn to fly the shuttle.

Comment

I also think 2d Lt James is a wonderful secondary character , she is an officer and a lambda crew's member that makes her interesting. I want to see her (or Riley, maybe a relationship between those two) more on screen but don't forget the season just begin, some character like Camille need to be develop quickly

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                              Well, obsession is a strong word...
                              Maybe obsessed is too strong a word, infatuated maybe better.
                              sigpic

Comment

Am I alone in thinking that while the 2 episodes (Darkness and Light) were good, they shouldn't have been split into a 2-parter?

As a result of this split we lose an episode down the road (Syfy only green-lit a finate number of episodes), and don't gain much in return. There was lots of stuff that could have been cut, without hurting the episode (some cuts such as the wife scene in darkness would have improved the show). Especially since we just came off a 3-parter and haven't had a single "stand-alone" episode yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X