TJ's psych evaluations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Radahldo View Post
    Some people just have a natural aversion to Psychology. I bet a lot of the people on that ship have it. It would take a lot to that initial hostility and misplaced anger. TJ giving the impression of incompetence probably just strengthened those opinions.

I agree that they were annoyed/fearful that whatever they said would inevitability be getting back to young; i'm sure those thoughts were there in most, and Franklin expressed as much.

But, I do not see how a psychologist would be perceived as less docile, more inclined to help than TJ. Franklin shouts and raves at TJ when she was the one who stitched him up in the first place; considering, I don't see how a body-swapped psychologist would be treated more fairly, no matter how professional they were.
    I think Franklin's hostility towards TJ was not so much about her functioning as a psychologist than her being military. His comments about one of "your people" being responsible for getting shot is a clear indication of the crew severely fracturing: the scientists vs. the military. I think if Camille were handling the interview, Franklin would have responded very differently.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Radahldo View Post
      It would probably make sense to swap in a psychologist. That wouldn't go well, though. As argumentative as evasive everyone was with TJ, who appears to be one of the more empathetic persons on the ship, imagine how taciturn they would be to someone swapped-in.
      Well, don't swap IN a psychologist, have each Destiny member talk to a psychologist when they swap out. I would think they'd be less trusting of someone they have to live with, despite how kind and sympathetic she is. I mean, there are about 80 people on the ship, it doesn't take long for everyone to get to know each other on some level. I think what Eli said is key, some people might feel awkward telling someone else they've been forced to live with (due to extreme circumstances) exactly how they feel. From what we know, many people have been avoiding TJ; however, there may be better results if before being allowed to see their families, they had to make a quick stop at the psychologist/psychiatrist's office...

Comment

Lt Tamara Johanson
        Destiny Crew Psychological Evaluations

".....They are all NUTS!"

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
          Lt Tamara Johanson
          Destiny Crew Psychological Evaluations

".....They are all NUTS!"
          ".....and they're making me NUTS!"
          sigpic

Comment

I think he probably is one of the smartest men on Earth, and also one of the most important people on the ship. Is it arrogant to state a fact? I think his biggest problem with Eli was not so much that Eli was able to solve the problem, but that Eli was treated like the golden child (remember the dinner, and toasts, in the pilot?) where as Rush is still treated with suspicion (albeit most likely deserved suspicion). After all, he's done all of the work leading up to Eli solving the problem, he's the one who thought of and wrote the game Eli solved, and the one who has been invested in the Icarus base/9th Chevron for at least 2 years (I don't remember the exact time line of the Icarus base off the top of my head, sorry).
            It isn't arrogant to state a fact, but Rush's behaviour sometimes is arrogant. In 'Air' before and during the dinner the way he was acting is why I believe he does think a little too much of himself, just as McKay did when we first met him.
            Does it say Colonel anywhere on my uniform?

Comment

Originally posted by malfunction View Post
              It isn't arrogant to state a fact, but Rush's behaviour sometimes is arrogant. In 'Air' before and during the dinner the way he was acting is why I believe he does think a little too much of himself, just as McKay did when we first met him.
              I'm with Lauriel and BTW, Rush wasn't at the dinner. He walked into the kitchen, heard Eli being feted and here's the interesting bit, Becker handed him a covered take out tray thing of food, clearly indicating that Rush didn't eat in the officer's mess. Why that is, well, a mixture of work and being treated like crap probably does that to you.

Comment

I can't remember the guys name, but it was the one that told TJ he was so glad they found the planet, cause he was really having a hard time keeping it together. (well it was something like that). Anyway. I think he might be the first person to really crack, go on a rampage and either kill himself or get killed, when he finds out that it was all faked.
                no means no, and so does pepper spray
                Sig by The Carpenter
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
                  I can't remember the guys name, but it was the one that told TJ he was so glad they found the planet, cause he was really having a hard time keeping it together. (well it was something like that). Anyway. I think he might be the first person to really crack, go on a rampage and either kill himself or get killed, when he finds out that it was all faked.
                  That's Dale Volker and yes, he's going to have an interesting journey this season.

Spoilers for "Pain" below:
                  Spoiler:
                  By the time we get to "Pain" it looks like Volker's going to endure something rather...interesting and violent. This link shows some production notes about "Pain." Now this page reveals virtually none of the plot information so nobody really knows the specifics of what's supposed to happen, but if you look at the final two bulleted items in the production notes, you get this:

"Gold star for @PatrickGilmore today. Great, creepy, unsettling work." — Carl Binder, Twitter (September 10, 2009)
                  "Thanks to @cpbinder for the 'Pain' & the gold star. Crazy last day of the episode. Bruised forehead & an exciting #SGU episode to prove it." — Patrick Gilmore, Twitter (September 10, 2009)

Words like "creepy" and "unsettling" are definitely words that I would never associate with the Volker we know right now. The fact that he ends up with a bruised forehead at the end of "Pain" and the way his performance is described says something.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Detritus View Post
                    He's just demonstrating the British working class's attitude to stuff like psychiatry ie that it is a load of old squit
                    Rush isn't working class that's a fairly posh scotish accent
                    ----------------------------
                    You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

Originally posted by malfunction View Post
                      He is working class based on his background, but he doesn't accept people of a similar background to him not being all they can be. In 'Air pt 3' he was giving Greer an earful for being "angry at the world" and "he would be dead on in jail if it wasn't for the army." Rush expects people to excel at whatever there talents are, what exactly is the wrong with that? An elitist is someone who will always look down on people they few to be less than them, some upper class scientists may look down their noses at Rush.
                      Rush may come from a working class background but he is Middle class at least. Though the stargate prodcution team do have a bit of a tin ear in that regard look at the way they did the French and British senior diplomats in "disclosure"
                      You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
                        british working class?
                        i think it's more of the supergenius elitist snobbery than anything else
                        Oh just noticed i'd be carefull calling a Scotsman "British"

Comment

Originally posted by AndSoItBegins View Post
                          I didn't get that all. TJ is technically in the military as well and he was putting her in the same category as those who quite don't get what it is he does (and how they should just be happy to let him do whatever needs to be done). There was no snobbery involved. In fact as far as we know Greer may feel that every member of the crew (including all the military personnel) don't exactly understand where he's coming from.
                          I suspect that Greer consider's her a REMF ie not as a real "Soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by mjwalshe View Post
                            Rush isn't working class that's a fairly posh scotish accent
                            He said his father worked in the shipyards in Glasgow and his accent broadens the more emotional he gets. Speculation: he's modified his accent so people can understand what he's saying, probably dating back to his Oxford days. I had a conversation with someone from Glasgow recently on this who agreed with me on this one.

Originally posted by mjwalshe View Post
                            Rush may come from a working class background but he is Middle class at least. Though the stargate prodcution team do have a bit of a tin ear in that regard look at the way they did the French and British senior diplomats in "disclosure"
                            Apparently, Robert Carlyle did some variations on his accent for the production team.

Comment

What TJ did could not even be called psych evaluations. Given the fact she has no training in psychology, what she did was simply give her personal opinion on the mental well being of her colleagues. This is a bloody insane thing to do from a leadership perspective. It obviously isn't TJ's fault as she is just trying her best but Young has really lost the plot on this one.
                              sigpic

Comment

phsych evals should have been done before they ever went to Icarus Base and yes new ones now but should be very extensive imo.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X