Clear All

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
    british working class?
    i think it's more of the supergenius elitist snobbery than anything else
    Oh dear, um, no.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
      Borlorks mate!
      Damn my inability to green you for the above!

Comment

Originally posted by natyanayaki View Post
        I hate the stones, but perhaps the evaluations are where the stones could be useful, 1. they could have an actual psychologist/psychiatrist evaluate the crew on Destiny, 2. The crew could potentially feel more comfortable to be honest, and 3. Someone could actually evaluate TJ. I'm sure there are more reasons...
        I agree with this. T.J. with her undergrad Psychology course(s) (probably just Introduction to Psychology) is in no way qualified to do Psych evaluations. If they're going to keep using the stones the least they could do is use them in a semi-productive way, not just to shag people, or go knock out their enemies.
        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

I don't think Greer thinks people who aren't in the military are beneath him, I think he has trust issues with people who aren't in the military.

You know what I can't figure out? Why is Young so convinced that TJ is fine, who is going to evaluate HER? I mean, he should know that it must be emotionally difficult for her, that she just quit her job. I hate the stones, but perhaps the evaluations are where the stones could be useful, 1. they could have an actual psychologist/psychiatrist evaluate the crew on Destiny, 2. The crew could potentially feel more comfortable to be honest, and 3. Someone could actually evaluate TJ. I'm sure there are more reasons...

Im sure Young has an intimate knowledge of TJ's mental state. He's got an intimate knowledge of pretty much everything about her really.

Comment

Anyway it was ridiculous to have TJ, which has no psychology training except one course, to hold down psych evaluation. I took them more as a survey of people state of mind than actual psych evaluation. She was more like Gallup survey house than anything else. I wonder what TJ wrote on her evaluation paper:

- Misses his family.
            - Happy to have meet Scott
            - Stressed out, blames the military for all ills
            - Angry about what happened with his father. Don't want to talk about it.

Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

british working class?
              i think it's more of the supergenius elitist snobbery than anything else
              He is working class based on his background, but he doesn't accept people of a similar background to him not being all they can be. In 'Air pt 3' he was giving Greer an earful for being "angry at the world" and "he would be dead on in jail if it wasn't for the army." Rush expects people to excel at whatever there talents are, what exactly is the wrong with that? An elitist is someone who will always look down on people they few to be less than them, some upper class scientists may look down their noses at Rush.
              Does it say Colonel anywhere on my uniform?

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Detritus View Post
                Oh, one other thing, during St Ronald of Greer's chat with TJ was it just me or did he seem to suggest that he thought that anyone who wasn't in the military was beneath him??
                I didn't get that all. TJ is technically in the military as well and he was putting her in the same category as those who quite don't get what it is he does (and how they should just be happy to let him do whatever needs to be done). There was no snobbery involved. In fact as far as we know Greer may feel that every member of the crew (including all the military personnel) don't exactly understand where he's coming from.

Comment

I don't think Greer thinks people who aren't in the military are beneath him, I think he has trust issues with people who aren't in the military.

You know what I can't figure out? Why is Young so convinced that TJ is fine, who is going to evaluate HER? I mean, he should know that it must be emotionally difficult for her, that she just quit her job. I hate the stones, but perhaps the evaluations are where the stones could be useful, 1. they could have an actual psychologist/psychiatrist evaluate the crew on Destiny, 2. The crew could potentially feel more comfortable to be honest, and 3. Someone could actually evaluate TJ. I'm sure there are more reasons...
                  From what we've seen, you are correct about Greer. It's not military vs. non-military, he seems to be getting along with Eli who is as non-military as it gets. Greer is different because if he doesn't trust someone he acts on it immediately. Rush on the desert planet, Spencer in the shuttle incident, apparently Telford at some point, etc. Yet in Time, he taught Eli how to use a gun.

I think Wray may have been the better one to do many of the evaluations. Wasn't it mentioned that she was in Human Resources back on Icarus? If I remember correctly, wasn't Wray's first scene in Air talking to TJ about TJ's decision to leave? At least you would think she'd be able to decide which people would be best suited to which "jobs" that need to be done. In real life, people tend to be happier if they can use their talents to do some good for others.

I got the feeling that TJ didn't quit because she didn't like her job, I think she quit because her affair with Young had just ended and that left her in a very uncomfortable situation on Icarus.

Comment

Originally posted by malfunction View Post
                    He is working class based on his background, but he doesn't accept people of a similar background to him not being all they can be. In 'Air pt 3' he was giving Greer an earful for being "angry at the world" and "he would be dead on in jail if it wasn't for the army." Rush expects people to excel at whatever there talents are, what exactly is the wrong with that? An elitist is someone who will always look down on people they few to be less than them, some upper class scientists may look down their noses at Rush.
                    Well, by Rush making comments about Greer being angry with the world and about Greer being mad because of his economic situation and about how Greer would be in jail if it wasn't for the military, he did come across as elitist in that one scene. He was looking down at Greer just as much as others may have looked down at Rush when he was first starting out. Rush had no more of a clue at that moment at what drove Greer than Greer had at what drove Rush. But Rush chose to look at Greer's economic background, his anger and his choice of the miliatry as a career and thought he could easily peg him. That is a bit elitist IMO. At the very least its arrogant.

Comment

Originally posted by AndSoItBegins View Post
                      Well, by Rush making comments about Greer being angry with the world and about Greer being mad because of his economic situation and about how Greer would be in jail if it wasn't for the military, he did come across as elitist in that one scene. He was looking down at Greer just as much as others may have looked down at Rush when he was first starting out. Rush had no more of a clue at that moment at what drove Greer than Greer had at what drove Rush. But Rush chose to look at Greer's economic background, his anger and his choice of the miliatry as a career and thought he could easily peg him. That is a bit elitist IMO. At the very least its arrogant.
                      I think calling him an elitist is a bit o an over statement, but I would agree that he is arrogant. He most likely thinks of himself as one of the smartest men on Earth. Which is why he was so distressed by Eli's solution to the 9th chevron wasn't working, he hates not being able to achieve his goals. Now that he is on the Destiny he probably thinks of himself as the most important person on the ship, I think egocentric is a better description of Rush.
                      Does it say Colonel anywhere on my uniform?

Comment

Originally posted by Tabula Rasa View Post
                        Im sure Young has an intimate knowledge of TJ's mental state. He's got an intimate knowledge of pretty much everything about her really.
                        Actually, if you think about it, the affair he had with TJ would even further my opinion that he wouldn't know TJ's mental state. He'd be too close to her, and his opinion too biased. Plus because of the drama between the two of them, she'd try her best to hide her feelings from him.

Comment

Originally posted by malfunction View Post
                          I think calling him an elitist is a bit o an over statement, but I would agree that he is arrogant. He most likely thinks of himself as one of the smartest men on Earth. Which is why he was so distressed by Eli's solution to the 9th chevron wasn't working, he hates not being able to achieve his goals. Now that he is on the Destiny he probably thinks of himself as the most important person on the ship, I think egocentric is a better description of Rush.
                          I think he probably is one of the smartest men on Earth, and also one of the most important people on the ship. Is it arrogant to state a fact? I think his biggest problem with Eli was not so much that Eli was able to solve the problem, but that Eli was treated like the golden child (remember the dinner, and toasts, in the pilot?) where as Rush is still treated with suspicion (albeit most likely deserved suspicion). After all, he's done all of the work leading up to Eli solving the problem, he's the one who thought of and wrote the game Eli solved, and the one who has been invested in the Icarus base/9th Chevron for at least 2 years (I don't remember the exact time line of the Icarus base off the top of my head, sorry).

Rush has been treated with either passive or open hostility from the very beginning, even before he dialed them through to Destiny instead of Earth. I can understand him being adamant that he deserves more respect that he's getting. I can understand that Rush has a difficult personality, and that his motives aren't altruistic, but he is disregarded more than is sensible in many situations given his areas of expertise.

You nailed this one! I agree, totally. Bring in a psychologist and have him/her do the assessments. Professionalism, if nothing else.
                          sigpic
                          My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

It would probably make sense to swap in a psychologist. That wouldn't go well, though. As argumentative as evasive everyone was with TJ, who appears to be one of the more empathetic persons on the ship, imagine how taciturn they would be to someone swapped-in.

Comment

Originally posted by Radahldo View Post
                              It would probably make sense to swap in a psychologist. That wouldn't go well, though. As argumentative as evasive everyone was with TJ, who appears to be one of the more empathetic persons on the ship, imagine how taciturn they would be to someone swapped-in.
                              Not necessarily. The whole idea of having a professional is that a) you have more confidence in their abilities and b) confidentiality applies and c) there is the appearance, at least, of impartiality, whereas TJ is there on Young's behalf, and will presumably report back to him.

In many ways, they will have more trust and confidence in a professional who is brought on board for the specific purpose of psych evals, and maybe even to genuinely offer assistance for those who need it.

Edit to add: A psychologist is trained to elicit responses and to gain information even from their arguments and evasions.
                              sigpic
                              My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

Some people just have a natural aversion to Psychology. I bet a lot of the people on that ship have it. It would take a lot to that initial hostility and misplaced anger. TJ giving the impression of incompetence probably just strengthened those opinions.

I agree that they were annoyed/fearful that whatever they said would inevitability be getting back to young; i'm sure those thoughts were there in most, and Franklin expressed as much.

But, I do not see how a psychologist would be perceived as less docile, more inclined to help than TJ. Franklin shouts and raves at TJ when she was the one who stitched him up in the first place; considering, I don't see how a body-swapped psychologist would be treated more fairly, no matter how professional they were.

Comment

Working...
                                X