Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by missmobius View Post
    Oh and you think people over 40 don't deal with drama LMAO, okay LOL

It's just that they have learned better how to filter out the shallow irrelevant ups and downs of life, and when it's shoved down your throat it becomes just plain annoying.
    But see, that's my point. Older audiences would much rather watch something simply entertaining because, well, I wouldn't say they've become jaded, but...you know...Like you say, they tend to find the kind of drama they experienced a decade or more previously, well, annoying. In terms of audience appeal, when you're saying "more adult-oriented", you're referring to the 20 and 30-year-olds. Now, the drama on SGU is hit and miss with me, even though I'm part of that target audience, but I still think it's far more relatable than SG-1 and SGA ever were.

Comment

I liked this episode alot and thought the music fit in nicely.
      sigpic

Comment

Yes thank you I know what the point of the music was and who was singing it as well as what genre it is categorized in. That is music that I saw played live at warped tour many years in a row up until about 05 from 00.

Seeing that in an SGU episode felt extremely out of place. Maybe after all it was the lack of kids in a teeny moshpit shoving each other over stepping on someone's shoelaces.

Comment

I don't like the songs. Makes it feel like the episode ran short and they need to toss in a few filler quick scenes tied to a song to hit the magic minute marker. Besides, that last song was awful to me.

Comment

its happy music...for a screwed up situation. worked well.

Comment

Hated the music. Still feels like Grey's Anatomy in space. Meh.
              sigpic
              Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                Hated the music. Still feels like Grey's Anatomy in space. Meh.
                it is grey's anatomy.

Comment

Hopefully from now they will start to reduce the number of real world songs in SGU. Although I hated the songs from this episode, I can understand why they did it, to give them scenes some "Humanity" and "Life". However In Stargate I have always felt that the Joel Goldsmith musical scores are perfect, especially the newer Mass Effect styled music we have been getting in SGU.

Having branded material and real artists playing can really take you out of the scene, and feel out of place, especially in the Science Fiction realm. Also as seen here it dose not reflect an entire audience's musical tastes, with people like myself having scenes ruined by music I consider to be terrible. Which is why the classic orchestral scores from Joel have always worked so well as they cover a neutral ground that all music fans can appreciate, it also sets a consistent tone for the entire series.

If they are going to use real world music fair enough, but please use it few and far between.
                  sigpic
                  Banner Made By Me for Me
                  The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

First song was good, second one made a cheesy scene even more cheesy.

Comment

there is this word. i think it's a verb. and i believe it's called...... dislike.

seriously, why is everything either "HATE" or "LOVE". it's really bugging me. one thread burns it down, the other lifts it to heaven. what happened with the word "dislike", because every guy who doesn't love it uses the word "HATE".

the begin/end song has a meaning. strange music, perhaps, but doesn't that fit the very thing the episode shows? today's the worst day since yesterday. yesterday was Time, everyone died twice, disease and killer aliens. worst day. today, the current episode, everyone deals with failure and mental problems and well, all kinds of stuff and it sucked for a lot of people. it's a bad day.

the song at the beginning is strange, but once you've seen the episode, it's suddenly crystal clear. the song is completely right, dead-on lyrics, and an odd tune, odd melody that fits the oddness of everyone's situation, from failing hydroponics labs to children to missing loved ones, to puking and what not.

people can dislike the song. but i think nobody can say that it was out of place

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                        But see, that's my point. Older audiences would much rather watch something simply entertaining because, well, I wouldn't say they've become jaded, but...you know...Like you say, they tend to find the kind of drama they experienced a decade or more previously, well, annoying. In terms of audience appeal, when you're saying "more adult-oriented", you're referring to the 20 and 30-year-olds. Now, the drama on SGU is hit and miss with me, even though I'm part of that target audience, but I still think it's far more relatable than SG-1 and SGA ever were.
                        But why is it so necessary to only have 20-30 year olds watch?

Seems to me they were quite content to have older viewers with SG1/A

We are very loyal fans, so why slam the door in our faces and try to get younger viewers watching, I think it's a big gamble, younger fans are more fickle and less loyal if you ask me.
                        General Jack O'Neill, still HOTTer than ever!

Comment

Hey! 18 year old here stuck in the crossfire!

If I had a choice between Goldsmith's beautiful scores and contemporary music, I'd choose the scores hands down, every time. (Although, I'd have to make and exception for Unending. "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" was great.) But if we have to choose between several different contemporary songs, I'd say "Worst Day Since Yesterday" was a brilliant choice.

It's not just a younger vs. older viewer question. Like I said, I'm 18, and I'd much rather have the uplifting entertainment that came along with SG-1 and Atlantis than the angsty drama we're being given in SGU. Like I've said in other threads- I've got enough of that junk in my life already. The reason why I watch TV is to escape for an hour from that junk. But when it's waiting for me inside my TV also, that's when I change the channel.

It's not quite to that point yet, though.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

I really liked the Worst Day Since Yesterday. I thought it demonstrated the sadness of all the characters who want so desperately to get home, but knowing that is probably impossible.

Comment

When the episode was starting i was flash-backing to the Watchmen opening, i dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing.
                              Later, AdamTM

I swear a lot, just take it as my attempt at honesty.

Stargate Atlantis Unlimited

Stargate Universe - BSG Style

Stargate Universe - Monk Style

SGU SUCKS

Comment

Geez people, why is it always either/or with you?

I love Joel's music, and so far I think TPTB have made great choices in choosing the contemporary songs. For the most part, they all fit nicely and elevated the scenes, IMHO. In fact, thanks to Stargate, I've added 3 new favorites to my music library (Have You Ever Seen the Rain, Solitary Man, Breathe). It seems to be a crime to like both types of music.

Originally posted by BrokenHearted View Post

As far as I know, this show is the first time vocal music has been used in Stargate.
                                Nope. At least 3 previous SG episodes (Fragile Balance, Unending, Vegas) have used contemporary music.

Don't buy into the fallacy that SGU is more adult, in no way is it so, it's got all the elements of shows that cater to young 20 year olds, i.e. prime time soap opera style 90210 melodrama. So NO, IMO it's not an adult show at all, nothing about it it caters to an older mature audience.
                                Last I checked, people in their 20s are adults.

But why is it so necessary to only have 20-30 year olds watch?
                                They're more prone to buy the stuff advertised in the commercials.

Seems to me they were quite content to have older viewers with SG1/A
                                Evidently not, since they're both gone.

Comment

Working...
                                X