This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
    To be fair, I couldn't really get into either B5 or BSG until I was able to sit down with the DVDs of the first couple seasons.
    I know a lot of people with a similar problem. Sometimes week long gaps and hiatus' can make it hard to follow the threads.

So far, I've been happy with the SGU story line as a whole. Certain parts of it, though, seem extraneous. Some of the personal stuff we've seen I feel could've waited until we got to know the characters more, at which point it would have more impact.
    I agree. But, that being said short of BSG which was maticulously planned... most shows tend to have extraneous stuff. I'm hoping that some of the personal exposition is going to mean something further on, but the show could definately benefit from tightening up the story.

Could also benefit from less of Young and his wife. We get the point already.
    Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

After Time, this episode was a letdown. I mean the chair plot was great, but this new obsession with "character development" is getting annoying. It's all drama, and little likeability. The plot does not need to rely on empty drama and could be better. The subplots were excelent with spencers addiction and attitude issues and the repository/chair, but the rest was just not fun to watch.
      I generally agree with everything here. It's my main problem with the drama-drive of the show--not being given anything with which to actually like the characters I'm learning about. I could be given every possible fact about how a person would act in any situation...but that won't make it an interesting show if I don't like the people.

Slightly OT: Wow that's a lot of hostility being thrown around in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post

It was still a Saga. SGU is a Saga. If you're not tuning in to watch a Saga, I am confused as to why you watched Babylon 5.
        Because I'm tuning in no matter the Saga...to watch....a story.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
          Because I'm tuning in no matter the Saga...to watch....a story.
          The two aren't mutually exclusive
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Exactly. For there to be a 'saga', there has to be a story.
            Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Comment

Wow. 52 pages. Man this one has gotten long

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                Wow. 52 pages. Man this one has gotten long
                2 weeks between episodes. It tends to happen that way

Comment

And it seems to be a bit of a contention point for viewers! (I suppose Justice will get even more pages, considering the break for Syfy viewers.)

Comment

A necessary character introspection ep, helping to solidify who these people are and building stronger links with the audience. Some weak acting in parts, but all-in-all satisfying considering what the writer set out to fulfil.

I haven't seen Justice yet, but as soon as I have I'll give my mid-season check in. Some characters that I disliked at first have grown on me. Others I still can't abide. Everything else...
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
                      Exactly. For there to be a 'saga', there has to be a story.
                      Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      Not every episode.
                      Lost in space didn't even have a story for the Saga just a story every episode.

Comment

well, ive just watched Life, (I'm Australian) and while waiting for Justice i thought i'd register my opinion

I liked the little montages at the beginning and end, and the music track. the fact that there's one woman with two different blokes may prove to be interesting down the line.

there are four diffrerent, distinct storylines, which does tend to be confusing at points.

young and telford seems to be a charged storyliine, didn't do much for me, but will stick around to see how this one's resolved

Lt Scott. Too predictable. saw this one coming from a mile away, since Air. Interesting to see the reactions of those around him though

Camillle i liked this storyline, actually. interesting charecter development on her part.interesting moment of self doubt about the rowboat.

Rush. Love Rush, he's one of the most interesting charecters across all the stargate series. if he was good at forward planning, he'd be devestating and running the ship within a month.

all in all, its not that good, but bearable. Spencer may as well be wearing a red shirt though
                        Last edited by Minyakano; 13 December 2009, 11:30 PM.

Comment

I just rewatched this episode and it just made me love the characters and the episode even more.

Scott
                          I remember that I was a bit iffy on him the first time 'round, but this time the character really clicked for me for the first time. When you think about it, Scott is just a man that's trying to be a good person, a good christian, and a good soldier, but he makes mistakes along his way to become the man that he wants to be. That it what makes me truly love his character because he is deeply flawed, but also deeply human.

Camile
                          Not much new to say here. But her scenes in this episode when I first watched it, was what made me fall in love with her character. I'm just gonna add an "Aww...." for the Camile/Sharon scenes anyway.

Other parts that I enjoyed was TJ's psych evaluations. I especially like the line she said after Franklin's little rant. "So you're doing fine then". I also like the hints that this was the beginning of the end of Spencer's journey.

Oh and I realized that I really need to download The Worst Day Since Yesterday by Flogging Molly. That song was really fitting for this episode.
                          Last edited by EvilSpaceAlien; 11 February 2010, 01:44 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

I don't mind a bit of the emotional stuff and some focus on the relationships but there too much of that and not enough sci fy. I want aliens and adventure and mystery and cool stuff happening. There have been too many episodes that have not had nearly enough of that. The last episode was really cool, there was some relationship stuff but there was also some lethal aliens..it just makes for a nice mixture. IMHO.
                            At the moment it is Phobos (though time is limited; it is suppose to crash into Mars in the next 100 million years )

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzah View Post
                              I don't mind a bit of the emotional stuff and some focus on the relationships but there too much of that and not enough sci fy. I want aliens and adventure and mystery and cool stuff happening. There have been too many episodes that have not had nearly enough of that. The last episode was really cool, there was some relationship stuff but there was also some lethal aliens..it just makes for a nice mixture. IMHO.
                              It's fun to follow your opinions through the episodes. Are you planning to watch the whole series?

Comment

Originally posted by OutandAboot View Post
                                It's fun to follow your opinions through the episodes. Are you planning to watch the whole series?
                                I am, I started watching SG about a year or so ago and have gone through all the SG1 and SGA episodes and now on to SGU. I know there is a massive rewatch going on that I have been keeping an eye on but it has not been too long since I originally watched the early episodes so I am going to plug away with SGU. I have really enjoyed the franchise and it is a bit depressing knowing its coming to an end soon. I knew that SGU was disappointing to a lot of SG fans so I did not have high expectations, however it is frustrating to see how amazing the show could have been and how good it is at times but overall the product just didn't have enough of what made the stargate franchise so awesome. That being sad, I still enjoy watching it and compared to a lot of other shows out there it is still much better and I wish it had not been canceled.

A lot of the discussion is stagnant here at the moment but I am guessing it will get busier as the rewatch approaches this series.
                                At the moment it is Phobos (though time is limited; it is suppose to crash into Mars in the next 100 million years )

Comment

Working...
                                X