This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AdamTM View Post
    Well that's one way to look at it. I'm glad your argument stayed sustained and logical right to the end!
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Life could easily have been a lot worse. It could also have been better. I'm okay with it and hope we can move on when Justice airs.
      "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
      Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
      Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
      Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
      Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
        You don't get to decide what is valid for someone to argue. Impressions and the interprationas o the viewer are valid because they are part of enjoying and connecting to the show.

Even you in previous posts have discussed you opinion, not in relation to the episodes but to how you feel they are going to play out in the future.

I have frankly had it with being told by individuals how we can 'discuss' an episode - like there are checks and balances that we have to follow in order to present a valid argument. There isn't, this is a casual environment not an academic or political one.
        I think you need to read my post(s) again, and then AGAIN for good measure.

In no way did i say he is denied to speculate about the show, but he can not use the speculation as a way of supporting his argument against mine.

Im kind of lost here why everyone thinks i want to silence someone or that i want to decide what is a valid point of discussion.
        If you read the entire conversation with Matt it should be apparent that my beef is not with his opinion, but with his way of trying to support it with speculation and then trying to pass it as a valid argument.

And yes, there are "checks and balances" that have to be followed to present an argument, you know why?
        Because if there arent, i can say any- and everything, it becomes a valid opinion, and every- and anyone is right, and the point of having a discussion disappears together with this forum.

"Opinion" is not the magical word that makes your argument automatically untouchable by design, you can still have a wrong or invalid opinion, and i will point that out.
        Dont give me that pseudo-liberal crap about every opinion being valid and that we should respect and accept it.

My opinion is that we are not held to the ground by gravity but by invisible god-strings that are made of unicorns holding hands and singing kumbayah.
        But thats just my opinion, now respect it and accept it as my argument on why we cant have FTL!

See what i did there?
        Later, AdamTM

I swear a lot, just take it as my attempt at honesty.

Stargate Atlantis Unlimited

Stargate Universe - BSG Style

Stargate Universe - Monk Style

SGU SUCKS

Comment

Dont give me that pseudo-liberal crap about every opinion being valid and that we should respect and accept it.
          Actually, everyone's opinion is valid here, like it or not.
          Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Actually, everyone's opinion is valid here, like it or not.
            What Deevil said.

And AdamTM, I'm just gonna say that I'm cool with my opinion being supported by speculation. My argument was based on speculation, but that could be just as valid as anybody else's. Are you going to continue further or should I bring up the facepalm picture?
            ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

It is so better get used to it.
              sigpic

Comment

I'm a little surprised right now, as it's not like AdamTM didn't make a valid point. He actually made a very important point regarding the word "opinion" and how it's thrown around willy-nilly here on GW.

For example, he used a very good hypothetical of how he could have a different "opinion" on gravity. This doesn't mean his said "opinion" is valid simply because he calls it an opinion...and I think that's the point he was trying to make.

There are some things that are opinions (i.e. Chloe is a good/bad character, the Destiny is an awesome/ugly ship, the focus on relationships in SGU is a good/bad thing, etc..). However, there are some things that are just decidedly and factually incorrect, and to try and make them immune from criticism by calling them an "opinion" is to defeat the purpose of this entire forum.

And lastly, opinion or not, you are never obligated to respect someone's opinion. You can respect someone's right to have and express said opinion (i.e. the very basis of free speech), but it's ludicrous to assume you have to respect the material within the opinion itself. If this were true, people would be respecting some pretty awful things in this world.

In short, all opinions are welcome in a truly open discussion. However, opinions are not opinions just because you label them that way. The word has a very strict definition. Furthermore, saying "well it's just my opinion" shouldn't negate the other party from perhaps questioning said opinion and basing it on facts from the show. This is the very purpose of true discussion, to share and discuss various opinions.
                Sig by Pandora's Box
                sigpic

Comment

And you claim to have watched Babylon 5 which was a saga. I am incredibly confused.
                  So Babylon 5 didn't have clear and concise episodes with their own individual stories as well as the larger theme of the shadows?

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                    And I'll point out that this is fiction not real life.
                    hardly a reply.
                    Life imitates art and vise versa.

Your user name should be Nostradamus because nine episodes in I can't predict what's going to happen. Clearly, you can.
                    My user name is Saquist because it is unique and has a meaning of it's own.
                    If I changed it to Nostradamus I would be like everyone else, imitating instead of creating something new.

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                    *scratches head*

Weren't you complaining a few posts ago about the opposite?
                    Negative.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                      hardly a reply.
                      Life imitates art and vise versa.

My user name is Saquist because it is unique and has a meaning of it's own.
                      If I changed it to Nostradamus I would be like everyone else, imitating instead of creating something new.

Negative.
                      Actually it only works for art.
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                        I'm a little surprised right now, as it's not like AdamTM didn't make a valid point. He actually made a very important point regarding the word "opinion" and how it's thrown around willy-nilly here on GW.

For example, he used a very good hypothetical of how he could have a different "opinion" on gravity. This doesn't mean his said "opinion" is valid simply because he calls it an opinion...and I think that's the point he was trying to make.

There are some things that are opinions (i.e. Chloe is a good/bad character, the Destiny is an awesome/ugly ship, the focus on relationships in SGU is a good/bad thing, etc..). However, there are some things that are just decidedly and factually incorrect, and to try and make them immune from criticism by calling them an "opinion" is to defeat the purpose of this entire forum.

And lastly, opinion or not, you are never obligated to respect someone's opinion. You can respect someone's right to have and express said opinion (i.e. the very basis of free speech), but it's ludicrous to assume you have to respect the material within the opinion itself. If this were true, people would be respecting some pretty awful things in this world.

In short, all opinions are welcome in a truly open discussion. However, opinions are not opinions just because you label them that way. The word has a very strict definition. Furthermore, saying "well it's just my opinion" shouldn't negate the other party from perhaps questioning said opinion and basing it on facts from the show. This is the very purpose of true discussion, to share and discuss various opinions.
                        Later, AdamTM

I swear a lot, just take it as my attempt at honesty.

Stargate Atlantis Unlimited

Stargate Universe - BSG Style

Stargate Universe - Monk Style

SGU SUCKS

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          Actually it only works for art.
                          With every bit of Professionalism in the artistic that I have I can say that it often works both ways. Many phrases, technology and situations from sci fiction have been adopted by science. This happens because sometimes our imagination creates reality.

~People have created tricorders.
                          ~Cell phones imitate the simple flip open hand held communicator from Star Trek.
                          ~Laser scalpels emerged on the battlefield in the late 90's just like Star Trek used.

~Robberies theorize by writers have come true.
                          ~Many Gadgets coined in bond have made interesting spy tools.

In fact Life imitates art on the regular basis.
                          Likely just as often as Art imitates life.

Comment

After Time, this episode was a letdown. I mean the chair plot was great, but this new obsession with "character development" is getting annoying. It's all drama, and little likeability. The plot does not need to rely on empty drama and could be better. The subplots were excelent with spencers addiction and attitude issues and the repository/chair, but the rest was just not fun to watch.
                            For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. -Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post

I do agree with you.

My point had more to do with the fact the some people are only discussing their opinions and interpretations - and there is nothing wrong with it and the 'lesson' in how to argue properly doesn't fit.

Nothing more or less.

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                              So Babylon 5 didn't have clear and concise episodes with their own individual stories as well as the larger theme of the shadows?
                              It was still a Saga. SGU is a Saga. If you're not tuning in to watch a Saga, I am confused as to why you watched Babylon 5.
                              Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

It was still a Saga. SGU is a Saga. If you're not tuning in to watch a Saga, I am confused as to why you watched Babylon 5.
                                To be fair, I couldn't really get into either B5 or BSG until I was able to sit down with the DVDs of the first couple seasons. This may be because I missed several episodes due to work (in the case of BSG) or because my attention span wasn't what it is now (in the case of B5, which aired when I was between 7 and 12) but once I saw the foundation of those stories in consecutive order, I was hooked.

So far, I've been happy with the SGU story line as a whole. Certain parts of it, though, seem extraneous. Some of the personal stuff we've seen I feel could've waited until we got to know the characters more, at which point it would have more impact.

Comment

Working...
                                X