This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I disagree.

Imagine yourself in their shoes; you're watching the footage you've shot (the Dailies), and you see your lead actor acting in a way that you didn't intend him to, nor wanted him to. Would you really just sit back and relax for 9 episodes (i.e. about 4 months or so) and do nothing about it?

No, there's no way this can happen. It's most definitely deliberate.
    Last edited by PG15; 30 November 2009, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
      I don't disagree with this. But I think Scott, Greer and James wouldn't remove him of command... they seem to trust him. Don't know why though. He must have been a good commander on the Icarus base.
      I think Scott would remove Young from command if his conscience spoke up. Greer would follow Scott's lead.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
        I think Scott would remove Young from command if his conscience spoke up. Greer would follow Scott's lead.
        Yes, if Young did something suitably insane, deranged or stupid. I don't think he'd do is just because Young pissed off Telford or Jack though.

Scott, at his heart is a pretty decent guy - so I don't see him letting people get hurt because of young. And I do agree, Greer would follow the lead.
        Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by natyanayaki View Post
          I just have so much trouble about how we're supposed to read Rush, something's missing I just don't know what it is, or if it's supposed to be missing.
          To paraphrase Terry Pratchett, he's speaking in philosophy but they're hearing it in gibberish.

Comment

I disagree.

Imagine yourself in their shoes; you're watching the footage you've shot (the Dailies), and you see your lead actor acting in a way that you didn't intend him to, nor wanted him to. Would you really just sit back and relax for 9 episodes (i.e. about 4 months or so) and do nothing about it?

No, there's no way this can happen. It's most definitely deliberate.
            Yep. Whatever one might think of the overall direction and focus of the show, it's tight as a drum--acting, directing, cinematography--everything. We're seeing exactly what they want us to see. And Robert Carlyle is the consumate professional. He's doing exactly what they want him to do, and brilliantly. All the acting in the show is superb, even when it's scenes I'd rather not be watching. In fact, if the acting wasn't so tremendously good, I'd have given up weeks ago. I'm not here for the plots, that's for sure.

I have no problems with the way Rush is being presented. There's no 'villain' in this show, so it makes sense to have a character who's motives are unclear. If I found the other characters more engaging, it would be a nice contrast.
            Last edited by amconway; 30 November 2009, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I don't know if Greer would follow Scott over Young, it would have to be a desperate situation. I do think it's highly possible for Greer to eventually team up with Rush, I don't know for how long. But I think Greer is a character who considers his job as a soldier is to think of the greater good, and I can see Rush trying to manipulate that in him (based on the conversations regarding the Chair).

Comment

Right, but like, I said, I’m currently confused about what was conveyed about Rush, and since I like Carlyle, and since I don’t skip Rush-related scenes, I’m simply trying to figure out why that is, and for now all I can figure is that they may be a discrepancy between writing and director/actor, or director/actor and the editing room? I also wonder, could there be a reason we're perceiving this discrepancy? I mean, the writers could have done it on purpose as well, and I like to explore all that.
                I don't see any discrepancy about Rush and how he's played against how he's written. Can you explain what you mean in a bit more detail with some examples?

I'm having a bit of a Carlyle thing at the moment; what an extraordinary actor he is. Not a similar character at all but for that unlikeable but likeable thing take a look, if you're able, at his portrayal of James VI/I in Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.

Comment

I don't know if Greer would follow Scott over Young, it would have to be a desperate situation. I do think it's highly possible for Greer to eventually team up with Rush, I don't know for how long. But I think Greer is a character who considers his job as a soldier is to think of the greater good, and I can see Rush trying to manipulate that in him (based on the conversations regarding the Chair).
                  Rush is clearly a utilitarian in thought, action and deed. He's even said the utilitarian mantra. He and Greer are therefore on the same page.

Comment

I don't see any discrepancy about Rush and how he's played against how he's written. Can you explain what you mean in a bit more detail with some examples?

I'm having a bit of a Carlyle thing at the moment; what an extraordinary actor he is. Not a similar character at all but for that unlikeable but likeable thing take a look, if you're able, at his portrayal of James VI/I in Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
                    I wish I could explain it, but Rush just confuses me, and not in the same sense of confusion that Benry on LOST or Baltar on BSG, or other similar characters might induce. I would explain if I understood, sorries!

I could look into details examples I guess, but I'd have to rewatch episodes I don't have, buy them on I-tunes with money I don't have...and I'm honestly way too lazy...again...sorries! It's just a vague feeling...

Rush is clearly a utilitarian in thought, action and deed. He's even said the utilitarian mantra. He and Greer are therefore on the same page.
                    Pretty interesting considering their "initial" reaction to each other.
                    Last edited by natyanayaki; 01 December 2009, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Yeah Rush is a bit confusing. I don't think he does anything for the greater good....even though he gave that advice to TJ. I think Rush's version of greater good has very little to do with the greater good for everyone. More like the greater good for himself. Although he doesn't seem cold hearted he's definitely selfish. Not the most open and honest person considering his position on the ship.

Comment

I think it'd be epic if Chloe ended up sitting in it later in the season. Not that I think they have to do this to make her character interesting, but it would be a path I wouldn't really expect them to take [/QUOTE]

With this chair the writters have given themselves the chance give a character something to do or to be a bigger player. This role could be for Chloe although i think Spencer is going to lose it and go sit in it in an atempt to get home quicker...

Best episode of Stargate 90210 this season

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
                          I think we'll get that brackground, it's just coming piecemeal. You could be right and Scott and James may follow orders, but Scott was so reticent when Telford was giving orders in opposition to Young that I'm not really sure.
                          Scott was reluctant but he did as told.
                          I have no doubt that now that he would question Telford so you'd have to get someone else to give those orders to them... I think they're all reluctant.

Because they fell into their comfortable positions like they had on Icarus. But, when it looks less and less liekly they are getting home, and the military continue to be the irrational mess Young is making them, that'll change.
                          Doesn't it look unlikely now?

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          I think you can only do so much. You need a balance of plot and character development. Fans are already complaining their is to much character development. Think what would happen if you added more?
                          I propose a swap.
                          The less meaningful for the more meaningful.

Because they only have the numbers. The military are the ones with the power. That much is obvious with the way Young orders everyone around. But I think we can all see a munity breaking out

Acknowledged.

Grunts are grunts. Rather its a top secret ship or a top secret base the job is the same so I see no idea why the criteria would be different. Its not like the soldiers are particpating in the science behind the Icarus project
                          On the sand planet they all carried the kit and they were taught how to mix the solution for the lime they wanted to find.

Originally posted by Yusagi View Post
                          I don't know who James is, but Earth clearly illustrates that, as things stand, Greer would defy any order relieving Young of Command. Scott would obey the order, but would look for any loopholes he could.
                          Lt. James, the "broom" in Scotts broom closet in the first episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                            I propose a swap.
                            But how do you decide which bits are more meaningful than others, since you don't know which information will later turn out to be important (and, indeed, what information will still be revealed)? One would think that the writers have already considered this...

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post

I propose a swap.
                              Get back to me when you devise a fair and balanced method to determine what is more meaningful.

On the sand planet they all carried the kit and they were taught how to mix the solution for the lime they wanted to find.
                              That wasn't a very difficult procedure to conduct in the first place. Sand, some red solution, and water. Most people could do that
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

The writers should just nut up and either get rid of the communication stones or turn them into something better. What if the stones, just like the Stargate, go to more than one place? What would happen if the people on destiny were to use them and instead of someone from Earth zapping into the body, it was another race...an evil race...maybe even the life form that was on the shuttle at the end of the first episode? Now have the characters drive around for a while.

Where is the lost in space part when all you have to do is touch a stone? Anyone???....Anyone???

Comment

Working...
                                X