This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amconway View Post
    Okay, nothing wrong with that idea in part. Young may not want to train the civilians to use weapons. Mutiny is a distinct possibility. They have a limited number of guns--that was established on the first episodes. He's going to want the military people armed, the ones he thinks he can trust. The only civilians that might need to use weapons are the few scientists that might need to go to planets. Training them wouldn't be a bad idea, but if I were Young, I'd want to limit access to weapons to those who will have to use them.
    Yeah that's the problem, with how he's attacked the whole problem with being stranded...he's spied on these people...he's spoken openly of distrust of Rush...

These people have more than enough reason not to trust the military....So you're right...but if this was SGA or SG-1 they would be viable for the task of carrying on as soldiers themselves if they're willing and vise versa.

Comment

if this was SGA or SG-1 they would be viable for the task of carrying on as soldiers themselves if they're willing and vise versa.
      That's not entirely true. Daniel is the only scientist that was ever shown as militarily able. While he made mistakes in the beginning, he still had that apect to his character. McKay could manage but it wasn't his forte, and he didn't like doing so. We don't see the others acting in a military capacity or showing signs of being able to do so.

Comment

That's not entirely true. Daniel is the only scientist that was ever shown as militarily able. While he made mistakes in the beginning, he still had that apect to his character. McKay could manage but it wasn't his forte, and he didn't like doing so. We don't see the others acting in a military capacity or showing signs of being able to do so.
        Thankfully, because the civilian and military line would become so blurred that you'd have to wonder why have civs at all.
        Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by cornoir View Post
          Here is a thought to throw out there:
          Remeber the stressed out scientist that TJ interviewed, the one that mentioned he was shot by one of the military guys?

He seemed about a week away from a psychotic breakdown.

But after Rush's 1 false planet announcement that same scientist seemed a lot calmer when TJ interviewed him again, except for the end when he gave an eye twitch in his left eye. And it seems to me that TJ caught that.
          You're talking about Franklin, right? He got shot by Greer in Air, pt.3. He's also the one who threw up in this episode. Furthermore Jeremy Franklin is also the one who Spencer walked into. Jeremy is the one in the hydroponics lab, trying to get the seeds to grow. Also mentioned in one of the new Kinos. Well, TJ only interviewed him once. So there's something wrong with this explanation.

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
          COulnd't agree with you more. All this character development has to go somewhere...
          Yeah, it has to.

Originally posted by ufgator1977 View Post
          I saw the whole triangle between Young, his wife and Telford coming a mile away but it did succeed in showing us that Young can lie to get his way just like Rush can. He's been emotionally compromised and I'm sure that will affect his command ability. I like the fact we didn't get the cliche of him giving in to TJ's entreaty to "talk to her."
          So theoretically this is another quadrangle. --> TJ/Young/Emily/Telford

I'm starting to feel bad for TJ here. Who's gonna listen to her? I don't think Young trusts Wray at all. I would expect the military to deal with the isolation a little better. I can't really see civilians being forced into doing PT with limited rations available.
          What do you mean, with "Who's gonna listen to her?"
          Also, it's clear Young trusts TJ. It's obvious Young shouldn't trust Camille (Wray). She herself isn't sure which side she's on, Rush or Young? And since Young really distrust Rush and is obsessed about spying on them. It's kinda obvious Young doesn't trust Wray. Also, she might, even start "her own camp" as Strom suggested to her.

What about Carter? She's a scientist and a USAF Colonel.
          A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

I thought that this was one of the better episodes so far. Just to illistrate this point; I've only rewatched this episode and ''Air (Part II)'', so far.
            I felt that ''Earth'' very good, expect for the times, ironically enough, that took place on Earth. However in ''Life'' even the Earth parts aren't as tedious.
            Great Episode.
            Whatever the ancients can do we can, eventually, do better.

Comment

He seemed about a week away from a psychotic breakdown
              That's a bit of an exaggeration. Nearing his breaking point, yes, but there's nothing to indicate that it would go as far as actual psychosis. Spencer, now, he might get there, especially if some kind of withdrawl is exacerbating the situation.

What about Carter? She's a scientist and a USAF Colonel.
              Exactly. She's military, not a civilian. It goes without saying that she's militarily able.

Comment

Exactly. She's military, not a civilian. It goes without saying that she's militarily able.
                Yeah, but she's also a scientist, so you saying that Daniel is the only scientist being military able, is far from correct.

Comment

Yeah, but she's also a scientist, so you saying that Daniel is the only scientist being military able, is far from correct.
                  I think you must have missed the beginning of the discussion of the scientists. It was specifically about training the civilian scientists with weapons, so Carter didn't relate to the discussion, being military.

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                    You're talking about Franklin, right? He got shot by Greer in Air, pt.3. He's also the one who threw up in this episode. Furthermore Jeremy Franklin is also the one who Spencer walked into. Jeremy is the one in the hydroponics lab, trying to get the seeds to grow. Also mentioned in one of the new Kinos. Well, TJ only interviewed him once. So there's something wrong with this explanation.
                    Sorry I checked over the video again and the guy that I meant might be ready to crack is a different guy, he has a vest on and is after the scene in which Rush gets glasses (about 29 minutes into the show).

Comment

I think you must have missed the beginning of the discussion of the scientists. It was specifically about training the civilian scientists with weapons, so Carter didn't relate to the discussion, being military.
                      Ow, ikes, sorry. I didn't read all of it, just skimmed through it and as some posters (not you) their posts I don't want to read anymore, so I lost track somewhere. Didn't notice that.

So you're saying that no non-military/enlisted (in the USMC, USAF or etc.) scientist, was military able? Except McKay and Jackson?

So that now they are trying to train them to be military able?

So what's the difference with SGA? Or for that matter what's the point of that?

Sorry, but I'm a bit lost now.

Comment

Sorry, but I'm a bit lost now.
                        Read 600, 601, and 602--you'll get the jist.

Comment

Read 600, 601, and 602--you'll get the jist.
                          No, that's the problem, I don't know where 602, your post, the post I quoted comes from. It's mainly because there's no referrer in any of the quotes you make, so I can't go back to the post you quoted. (Which btw is kind of annoying ) That's why I ask.

Comment

Oh, okay. Read the last post on page 30, and the first two or three on this page (31).
                            Of course, counting back from this one (numbered 612 on the top upper right, next to the reputation button) works , too.
                            Last edited by amconway; 23 November 2009, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                              I think the true factor here is curiosity. Eli wanted to see it for himself.
                              The other scientist are slackers and they often take the word when it's given.
                              So I don't think rush did it for moral...I think he did it for the dentist chair.

If he could get young to believe him for just a moment and get someone into that chair...then it served his goals. Rush has constantly lied. While I don't agree with Young's beligerance I don't trust Rush either and that was from episode one.
                              When?

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                                No, sir...not shooting live amo.
                                They're on a ship that's not a good idea.

Practice loading and reloading different weapons. They have quite a few.
                                They is quite they all need to learn is my point.

And trust me...they'll be able to establish a wormhole to Destiny after a while.
                                Loading and reloading the weapon is one thing, you don’t fire the weapon, get use to the recoil and handling it, you’re pretty much worthless with a weapon. Since they have little ammo it would appear the civvies will stay that way.

Comment

Working...
                                X