Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Muh_tuttles View Post
    Funny, SSJPabs

But I think it is unlikely. Has Young ever given reason to doubt he would've given Rush a fair go? He's put up with Rush's previous irritations (not sure if that's the right word) towards him so far. I am certain he would've said and done nothing more if Rush had just let his desire for control drop.

Young doesn't always do 'fair.' He has analyzed Rush's every action and decided it was nefarious (such as when Rush saved the crew onboard the shuttle after passing through the star.) He seems to be cracking under the pressure of the situation. But I won't go on further, since this thread is not meant to analyze the morality of what was done.

That said, I'm also pretty convinced that Young would've let Rush go if he'd given in and conceded defeat. But, being full of hatred, frustration, and shame, Rush let his testosterone do the talking.

lol at SSJpabs. XD

Comment

Originally posted by SSJPabs View Post
      I think it was already decided.

Young: Are we done?
      Rush: We'll never be done.
      *PUNCH!

Young: Are we done?
      Rush: Yes.
      Young: You are damn right we are done!
      *PUNCH!
      Interesting possibility. I still believe that the marooning of Dr. Rush was the result of the response, based on everything I have seen so far.

Comment

those words made me want to kiss rush......probably shouldnt have wrote that....

Comment

The look on Young's face said it all. I really believe he took Rush there to hammer out what he had done away from prying eyes. To try and beat some sense into the manipulative magnificent bastiro.

But when Rush said that, that venom and determination. That then, Young knew that he would never stop plotting and planning. Unerminding Young and doing what he belives he has to. No matter what the price.

Then Young made his choice.

Comment

my interpretation:

as soon as young saw the kino footage, he knew he needed to confront rush. that's what the look on his face meant. 'now i have proof that the man has been literally out to get me', so he confronted him. the decision to leave him behind came only when rush was 100% unrepentant about his actions and not only affirmed that but promised that he'd never stop.

that's when young said to himself 'enough is enough, i'm sick of this' and he decided to leave him behind
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AdamTM View Post
              I thinks events would have unfolded exactly the same, Young already decided before they went on the planet to dispose of rush.

If he didnt want to dispose of him, hed just unmask his machinations publicly on board the ship, the second he saw that kino footage.
              But he wouldn't have had a chance to kick his head in that way...

Comment

I think we should look on the decision from a wider perspective, not just what happened in "Justice".
                Since this is arc-driven TV everything is connected.

Young was indeed developing a sort of paranoia when it comes to Rush, even the Crew told him to "let it go" in "Light".
                And since the events in "Time" never happened, there was no counterbalance (Rush citing one of Youngs favorite movies, taking a risk, opening up to Eli) to this paranoia.

Young was blaming everything on Rush from day one, he didnt trust Rush even on Icarus. He is convinced that Rush is a ******* selfish ******* from day one, but this conviction grew into paranoia during Air pt3 - Light. He might even blame his personal problems with his wife on Rush, after all hes the one who stranded them and lead to the whole mess.

Young is by now unable to even consider that Rush can be a valuable asset, or that he does something without a selfish gain (much like Skydiver ), even if it would be genuine.

Youngs judgment is skewed, i wonder why he didnt get a psych eval from TJ, that should have been obvious to find out by her.

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                But he wouldn't have had a chance to kick his head in that way...
                Maybe not. Then again nobody was really shocked about Rush being dead either, so i think he could have beaten Rush up in front of everybody and nobody would care.

Just do the "im the alpha-male" routine you know.
                Later, AdamTM

I swear a lot, just take it as my attempt at honesty.

Stargate Atlantis Unlimited

Stargate Universe - BSG Style

Stargate Universe - Monk Style

SGU SUCKS

Comment

I kind of thought that Rush responded as he did not only out of anger for Young beating him up but for what it meant. Personally I believe that Rush is someone who can be reasoned with, even Young could do it if he wanted to. What Young showed Rush in that scene though, is that instead of engaging the issue in a rational manner, Young would rather just beat Rush up. From Rush's perspective then, compromising with Young would be a pointless endeavour since as soon as he hears something he doesn't like, he'll resort to violence. For Rush then, his opinion of Young's leadership is once again validated before his very eyes so he could say with conviction that they would 'never be done'.

Comment

Originally posted by blackluster View Post
                    Personally I believe that Rush is someone who can be reasoned with, even Young could do it if he wanted to. What Young showed Rush in that scene though, is that instead of engaging the issue in a rational manner, Young would rather just beat Rush up. From Rush's perspective then, compromising with Young would be a pointless endeavour since as soon as he hears something he doesn't like, he'll resort to violence. For Rush then, his opinion of Young's leadership is once again validated before his very eyes so he could say with conviction that they would 'never be done'.
                    I agree with this. I think part of the problem is that Rush and Young come at their arguments with each other in entirely different ways. Rush is a talker. Young is much more physical. He seems to be of mindset where he gets into a dispute with a guy, a few punches get thrown, and then it's water under the bridge and they can move on from there. So Young's got this primal, force-your-enemy-to-show-throat intent here, which Rush interprets as mindless brutality, and Rush has got this very cold, logical force-your-enemy-to-admit-his-shortcomings intent, which Young is seeing as trying to weasel out of a criminal act. They might as well be literally speaking different languages.

As far as how Young might have reacted if Rush hadn't said they'd never be done - I don't think he would have left him behind. I saw Young asking "Are we done?" as giving Rush a chance to back off. However, even if Rush's response had been the same, I wonder if Young would have left him behind even then, if Rush had not just been telling him he didn't have the cajones to make difficult command-level decisions. I think that line is just as important as the "are we done/we'll never be done" exchange.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamTM View Post
                      I think we should look on the decision from a wider perspective, not just what happened in "Justice".
                      Since this is arc-driven TV everything is connected.

Young was indeed developing a sort of paranoia when it comes to Rush, even the Crew told him to "let it go" in "Light".
                      And since the events in "Time" never happened, there was no counterbalance (Rush citing one of Youngs favorite movies, taking a risk, opening up to Eli) to this paranoia.

Young was blaming everything on Rush from day one, he didnt trust Rush even on Icarus. He is convinced that Rush is a ******* selfish ******* from day one, but this conviction grew into paranoia during Air pt3 - Light. He might even blame his personal problems with his wife on Rush, after all hes the one who stranded them and lead to the whole mess.

Young is by now unable to even consider that Rush can be a valuable asset, or that he does something without a selfish gain (much like Skydiver ), even if it would be genuine.

Youngs judgment is skewed, i wonder why he didnt get a psych eval from TJ, that should have been obvious to find out by her.

Maybe not. Then again nobody was really shocked about Rush being dead either, so i think he could have beaten Rush up in front of everybody and nobody would care.

Just do the "im the alpha-male" routine you know.
                      I agree, very insightful. And, also, the very casual 'psych eval' that TJ did on Young is bound to be biased, since she has had an affair with him. Maybe she feels that she already knows him so well that it isn't necessary. But she's never known him in a situation like this, and as much as he often keeps up a stoic face for the crew....we know Young is starting to crack, and resorts to his basest instincts when he is sure that he won't lose face for it with his men.

Comment

That line was very important. Because Young was not planning on leaving Rush on the planet until he realized Rush will never give up trying to take control and whatnot. So it was likely the most powerful line I've heard in SGU.
                        sigpic

Comment

Jack Oneill would have put a bullet in Rush's brain

Comment

Fairly certain he wouldn't have done...

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                              Fairly certain he wouldn't have done...
                              He let the space nazi splatter on the shield with no remorse. He would be much more harsh with someone who has intentionally put the entire crew at risk, withholds vital information, and is generally untrustworthy. I think you'll find many military commanders would have zero tolerance for Rush's bs particularly with lives at risk.

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                                He let the space nazi splatter on the shield with no remorse. He would be much more harsh with someone who has intentionally put the entire crew at risk, withholds vital information, and is generally untrustworthy. I think you'll find many military commanders would have zero tolerance for Rush's bs particularly with lives at risk.
                                As i think Misfits said, Col. O'Neill would probably shoot Rush.

GENERAL O'Neill not so much...
                                Later, AdamTM

I swear a lot, just take it as my attempt at honesty.

Stargate Atlantis Unlimited

Stargate Universe - BSG Style

Stargate Universe - Monk Style

SGU SUCKS

Comment

Working...
                                X